• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
It's great that there is a Yu-gi-oh game based on the new rules, but it's also a bit of a disappointment that the older rules is not available.

The booster packs being up to Soul Fusion is a bit of a disappointment because the new Neos support seems to be in the one after that (Savage Strike), and that's one of the archetypes that I would like to check out. I hope that in the future, new cards will be added (especially the one with Neos support) if they are going to add a new banlist update. Speaking of this, does this game include the new support for archetypes for the 20th anniversary, such as those in Vehicroid?

Other questions:
1) Does this game allow you to compete with other characters outside of the duel scenarios based on the anime?
2) Is there any way to duel against decks that are not owned by any of the anime characters?
3) Are there any form of profanity within the dialogue in this game? My disappointment with the fan translations of Japan-only Yu-gi-oh games is how the fans likes to add profanity where I suspect there is none.
4) How convenient is it to grind for certain cards from an archetype that I want?
5) Besides new cards, new rules and the VRAINS addition, are there other additions from the original Legacy of the Duelist?

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
It's great that there is a Yu-gi-oh game based on the new rules, but it's also a bit of a disappointment that the older rules is not available.

The booster packs being up to Soul Fusion is a bit of a disappointment because the new Neos support seems to be in the one after that (Savage Strike), and that's one of the archetypes that I would like to check out. I hope that in the future, new cards will be added (especially the one with Neos support) if they are going to add a new banlist update. Speaking of this, does this game include the new support for archetypes for the 20th anniversary, such as those in Vehicroid?

Other questions:
1) Does this game allow you to compete with other characters outside of the duel scenarios based on the anime?
2) Is there any way to duel against decks that are not owned by any of the anime characters?
3) Are there any form of profanity within the dialogue in this game? My disappointment with the fan translations of Japan-only Yu-gi-oh games is how the fans likes to add profanity where I suspect there is none.
4) How convenient is it to grind for certain cards from an archetype that I want?

Thank you for reading.

1) Yes, Challenge Mode lets you play against any character you want, and they´ll have a high to tournament level deck
2) See above. also Draft and Sealed mode, and well...Online.
3) Nope. Even the cards are censored, so no stripper Harpies
4) Fairly just keep buying packs from a character you know gives the cards you want the rarities are not very harsh. Previous version of the game had an exploit where it saved the cards you got after you left the store, so you could just hard reset until you got the perfect packs. Haven´t tried it here yet.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Other questions:
5) Besides new cards, new rules and the VRAINS addition, are there other additions from the original Legacy of the Duelist?

Thank you for reading.
First the game actually ended up having newer cards than what they originally stated and I think it's still unclear exactly how new things get
Also all cards within a given archetype are in the same pack which is based on a given anime character. For example all thunder dragons are in kaiba's pack and all heroes are in jaden's pack. That said keep in mind if you want to use any off archetype cards (which pretty much any high level deck will do) you'll likely need to open another pack for them (an example is that thunder dragon decks like to use battery man solar who is in the Jack atlas pack)

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Might get the game when it releases in the west, but out of curiosity in the twenty+ years of yugioh cards what is the most ridiculous deck archetype they came up with? As in strange interactions and conditions required for it to work?

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Might get the game when it releases in the west, but out of curiosity in the twenty+ years of yugioh cards what is the most ridiculous deck archetype they came up with? As in strange interactions and conditions required for it to work?
Strictly speaking, probably Duston, but the presence of Link monsters invalidates them for the time being.
In terms of actual decks, PSY-Frame given that they're the only solely reactive deck in the game.

Weather and Magical Musket use positioning as a minor card design element. Mekk Knights go in further and Blue Sky has changed how people position cards since its introduction. Mekk Knights also are somewhat reliant on the opponent but to a far less degree than PSY-Frame.

Infernoid get an honorable mention for having a completely different conception of card advantage.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I can confirm that Z-One's story deck now includes the timelord cards that weren't part of the real life card game at the time the original LotD was released which is cool

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Deck Archetype?

I'd say it's still Destiny Board.

As an individual card? Good luck summoning this fucker:
latest

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely not the weirdest, but one of the most prominent archetypes in the meta right now, Sky Strikers, is based on the concept of "What if you just build a deck with only 3 main deck monsters and a shit load of spells". I mean in practice they'll still use hand traps like ash blossom which are technically monster cards but you're probably not ever going to summon them unless you're desperate

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
anyone know where to get instant fusion? I have one copy, but I need more for my deck and I can't remember where I got it

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
By the way, they are indeed updating the site to know where each card are

http://thecardhub.net/
anyone know where to get instant fusion? I have one copy, but I need more for my deck and I can't remember where I got it
Might be from beating someone who had it in their story deck. The above link says Alexis Rhodes pack for the first game so maybe it's the same for this one.

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
So out of curiousity how are Battle packs set up for draft and sealed? And like are there certain ones that are all banned cards? That'd make for a hilarious tournament

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Silly question, but does online work fine for those who are playing the JP version in NA/EU?

Works fine for me. Ireland here.

Tried 1 match last night. Got paired with a JP player pretty quickly, ran smoothly. I won on Turn 3 with my Chaos Max Dragon deck.

He didn't rage quit thankfully but surrendered. I still need to know if the punish people who leave because they didn't in the last games.

Murkas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna wait for the EU release. My last Yu-Gi-Oh fix was Duel Links a year ago, stopped playing when Legendary Fisherman 2 and that Woodland Sprite FTK trick was a thing.

Does this one have the full ARC V campaign, I remember the PS4 version just had like 2 stages and one of them was the tutorial lol.

Also I'm not sure if it's explained or if I overlooked it, but what happens to the extra deck monsters (Xyz/fusion/synchros) that have been summoned, when the link monster pointing to the slots they're occupying has been destroyed in battle or whatever? Do they stay or get sent to GY?

And have my Six Samurai boys received any new support? Last I remember is vomiting them onto the field and then busting out Legenday Shi-En/Shadow Shi-En. Think I had some Synchro Naturia Monsters with them too.

Might fire up the PS4 version and see what my decks were.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Gonna wait for the EU release. My last Yu-Gi-Oh fix was Duel Links a year ago, stopped playing when Legendary Fisherman 2 and that Woodland Sprite FTK trick was a thing.

Does this one have the full ARC V campaign, I remember the PS4 version just had like 2 stages and one of them was the tutorial lol.

Also I'm not sure if it's explained or if I overlooked it, but what happens to the extra deck monsters (Xyz/fusion/synchros) that have been summoned, when the link monster pointing to the slots they're occupying has been destroyed in battle or whatever? Do they stay or get sent to GY?

And have my Six Samurai boys received any new support? Last I remember is vomiting them onto the field and then busting out Legenday Shi-En/Shadow Shi-En. Think I had some Synchro Naturia Monsters with them too.

First, yes. This one has a full Arc-V Campaign, now VRAINS is the glorified tutorial

When a Link monster is destroyed the monsters summoned to zones they pointed to are not affected and remain on the field in the zones they were summoned to.

Six Samurai has received a lot support of support too, they got an Xyz monster
latest

They also got new Samurais called "Secret Six Samurai"
Team123.jpg

4x4.jpg

And those even have a Fusion!
latest

you can read more about those here: https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=8491

And last but not least they have their very own Link monster. But unfortunately is not available in the TCG yet and as such it's not in this game. Here's a translation:

great_general_of_the_six_samurai_by_alanmac95_dcry95w-pre.jpg

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

In addition to what Fj said already, it's worth keeping in mind that extra deck monsters ONLY need an arrow pointed to them when being summoned from the extra deck. If you summon a synchro monster from the grave yard or banished for example they'll be summoned directly to the main monster zones and ignore links all together. This includes cards like Stardust Dragon that send themselves to the graveyard and then resummon themselves later with their own effect

Oct 25, 2017
I was pulling Yugi packs like crazy trying to build up my Magician Girl deck and realized I had a fuck ton of Black Luster cards. Went ahead and made that as a deck just fukken around and man, the CPU just can NOT deal with it haha.

Magician Girl deck is incomplete but fun. Gotta work a bit more but also feel a bit more prepared for if I do challenge duels after completing it.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was pulling Yugi packs like crazy trying to build up my Magician Girl deck and realized I had a fuck ton of Black Luster cards. Went ahead and made that as a deck just fukken around and man, the CPU just can NOT deal with it haha.

Magician Girl deck is incomplete but fun. Gotta work a bit more but also feel a bit more prepared for if I do challenge duels after completing it.
Is this the story mode cpus or the challenge mode cpus? The story decks are pretty much all awful so even a half decent casual deck will wipe the floor with them

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What would be the easiest way to actually buy this on the eshop as someone whose never bought from it before? Play Asia cards? Because theyre out of stock with 1000 yen cards :/

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the story mode cpus or the challenge mode cpus? The story decks are pretty much all awful so even a half decent casual deck will wipe the floor with them
Story mode, but I've done a handful of the challenge ones without too much trouble, but not floor wiping material haha.

I think main things I'm missing is good trap/spell negation, need to start looking for MST or Solemn Warning.

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, is there a good list of 'cards that go great in any deck'? Like common counter traps etc? I've heard of some Ash blossom card?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, is there a good list of 'cards that go great in any deck'? Like common counter traps etc? I've heard of some Ash blossom card?
Ash blossom is used by most deck yeah. Twin twisters is a good card though most meta decks nowadays only side deck it by virtue of the fact that the majority of meta decks nowadays don't use actual trap cards besides stuff like infinite impermenance and evenly matched which can be used from the hand. Kaiju's and ra-sphere mode are also really good in any deck for breaking your opponents board and most decks will at least side deck those

As for extra deck stuff, borrelload dragon is really good in pretty much any deck

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Story mode, but I've done a handful of the challenge ones without too much trouble, but not floor wiping material haha.

I think main things I'm missing is good trap/spell negation, need to start looking for MST or Solemn Warning.

Try dueling Bakura in Challenge Mode. As soon as he gets Dante up it's nonsense.

cubistic

Oct 27, 2017

Ash Blossom is one of the best cards in the game, yes, and is super generic. It is one of a category of "hand traps", which are monster cards that can be used from your hand. The reason they are so popular is because they can be used even if your opponent goes first (whereas you have to set a trap card for a turn before you can use it), and are immune to spell/trap destruction. The most used ones are Ash Blossom, Ghost Ogre, Effect Veiler, and Droll & Lock Bird.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ash Blossom is one of the best cards in the game, yes, and is super generic. It is one of a category of "hand traps", which are monster cards that can be used from your hand. The reason they are so popular is because they can be used even if your opponent goes first (whereas you have to set a trap card for a turn before you can use it), and are immune to spell/trap destruction. The most used ones are Ash Blossom, Ghost Ogre, Effect Veiler, and Droll & Lock Bird.
Worth noting infinite impermanence kind of power creeps effect veiled nowadays. Unless you really want the option to use effect veiled as a tuner

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Personally I'm pretty excited to get it when it releases in the west, but what I'm most curious about is Draft/sealed mode, anyone play that and willing to break it down?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've used a hand trap in Kiwi Magician Girl, though that's mainly for extra ATK. I know I've heard traps are slow and not preferred, so I'll keep that in mind.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Real talk: one advantage of the game not having a full link Vrains story mode is that beating Soulburner with literally any other anime deck sounds like a fucking nightmare

Murkas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
First, yes. This one has a full Arc-V Campaign, now VRAINS is the glorified tutorial

When a Link monster is destroyed the monsters summoned to zones they pointed to are not affected and remain on the field in the zones they were summoned to.

Six Samurai has received a lot support of support too, they got an Xyz monster
latest

They also got new Samurais called "Secret Six Samurai"
Team123.jpg

4x4.jpg

And those even have a Fusion!
latest

you can read more about those here: https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=8491

And last but not least they have their very own Link monster. But unfortunately is not available in the TCG yet and as such it's not in this game. Here's a translation:

great_general_of_the_six_samurai_by_alanmac95_dcry95w-pre.jpg
In addition to what Fj said already, it's worth keeping in mind that extra deck monsters ONLY need an arrow pointed to them when being summoned from the extra deck. If you summon a synchro monster from the grave yard or banished for example they'll be summoned directly to the main monster zones and ignore links all together. This includes cards like Stardust Dragon that send themselves to the graveyard and then resummon themselves later with their own effect

Thanks for the info, liking the Six Samurai stuff! Hopefully an EU release isn't that far off.

Does this version have the dlc the PS4 had included? I think Red-Eyes support was dlc for the PS4 version iirc.

darkgear96

Dec 16, 2018
Does anyone know if I buy this version and later the NA one, can i use my japanese save file from before?

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
I've been kinda wanting to get back into Yu-Gi-Oh! lately (haven't really played in about a decade, since my Exodia deck was stolen back in high school), and this game looks like a nice alternative to buying physical cards, so I may just do that once the North American version releases. So does this game have, like, every card released in the TCG up to a certain point then?

Also, kinda off-topic since it's not about the video game, but I figure this is a good place to ask; if I were to get some physical Yu-Gi-Oh! cards to duel with, what's the best way to get a pair of decks that a fan of the original series would be familiar with right now? I saw that they have new Speed Duel starter decks out now based on character decks from the original series, but I'm interested in normal full-length dueling, not Speed Duels. I'm really kicking myself right now for not picking up that limited edition Legendary Decks II set a few years back that came with Yugi, Joey, and Kaiba decks for $30...'cause looking it up now, it seems it's going for hundreds of dollars. ._. I'd really like that Yugi deck with Exodia and the Egyptian God cards, but not at those prices, lol.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I've been kinda wanting to get back into Yu-Gi-Oh! lately (haven't really played in about a decade, since my Exodia deck was stolen back in high school), and this game looks like a nice alternative to buying physical cards, so I may just do that once the North American version releases. So does this game have, like, every card released in the TCG up to a certain point then?

Also, kinda off-topic since it's not about the video game, but I figure this is a good place to ask; if I were to get some physical Yu-Gi-Oh! cards to duel with, what's the best way to get a pair of decks that a fan of the original series would be familiar with right now? I saw that they have new Speed Duel starter decks out now based on character decks from the original series, but I'm interested in normal full-length dueling, not Speed Duels. I'm really kicking myself right now for not picking up that limited edition Legendary Decks II set a few years back that came with Yugi, Joey, and Kaiba decks for $30...'cause looking it up now, it seems it's going for hundreds of dollars. ._. I'd really like that Yugi deck with Exodia and the Egyptian God cards, but not at those prices, lol.

It has most of the cards in the game yes.

I know a couple of sets actually

Dark Magician Cards:
"Duel Power"
"Dragons of Legend"(All 3 sets)
"The Dark Illusion"

Blue-Eyes Cards:
"Legendary Collection Kaiba"
"Dragons of Legend" (2 & 3)
"Legendary Duelists: White Dragon Abyss"
"Shining Victories"

For Exodia, Legendary Decks is the only one with "Legendary Exodia Incarnate" and "Obliterate!" That I know of.

latest

But if you want to play Exodia just use this newly released piece of shit and join the hated stall player club :p

https://yugioh.fandom.com/wiki/Mystic_Mine

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
It has most of the cards in the game yes.

I know a couple of sets actually

Dark Magician Cards:
"Duel Power"
"Dragons of Legend"(All 3 sets)
"The Dark Illusion"

Blue-Eyes Cards:
"Legendary Collection Kaiba"
"Dragons of Legend" (2 & 3)
"Legendary Duelists: White Dragon Abyss"
"Shining Victories"

For Exodia, Legendary Decks is the only one with "Legendary Exodia Incarnate" and "Obliterate!" That I know of.

latest

But if you want to play Exodia just use this newly released piece of shit and join the hated stall player club :p

https://yugioh.fandom.com/wiki/Mystic_Mine
Thanks for the info! Though those all seem to be booster packs, not pre-built decks, so even a set of booster packs like Duel Power wouldn't necessarily give me two cohesive decks like a starter deck would, isn't that right? I'm mostly just wanting to get some physical cards so I can teach my husband how to play (and reintroduce myself to the game and all the new stuff), so I just kinda want a couple decks for us to use that have some familiar cards in them. Not looking to spend a bunch of money on booster packs piecing together our own custom decks that I'm not really gonna use outside of that. Maybe if I get hooked on the Switch game then I might try to recreate a deck I make in that out of real cards, but that'd be something for later, lol.