• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ys vs. Trails

• Ys

Votes: 221 47.2%
  • Trails

Votes: 204 43.6%
  • Can't decide

Votes: 43 9.2%

• Total voters

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
What's your preference of these two Falcom series?

I'm more of an Ys guy because I like action games more than RPGs, and the Ys games consistently feel "old-school" in a good way. Also, I have nostalgia for them because I played the first three back in the 90s.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Tried both, while I couldn't get hooked to YS, I steamrolled through Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2 and platinumed them.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Don't really like either but I had a better time with trails. I find the games to be a bit outdated tbh

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
I've yet to play a Trails game, but think I'll probably like those more despite currently grinding out map percentage in Ys: Memories of Celceta, after completing all Ys I and II and all three campaigns in Origins in the space of a couple of months and having an incredible time.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Ys.vs..Sora.no.Kiseki%3A.Alternative.Saga.full.1023767.jpg

Trails

MeepMerp

Alt Account
May 2, 2020
Ys didn't turn into shonen jump anime like trails did so Ys all the way.

and yes, I'm aware of the towel scene in Ys 8, but that's one exception.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
YS for sure, the gameplay is far too superior and refined in almost every way.
I like Trails, it has its own merit and I don't think there's another jrpg series who have that strong world building, but outside of that and the continued plot it's not that fun to play. There are some pretty cool character (like, really, I wish every jrpg have a charismatic protagonist like Estelle), but most of the time people talk too much and say something futile or obvious. The battle system is not bad, but it's just too slow, I don't know how I could have handled Cold Steel without the Turbo Mode. Overall it's a pretty good series, it's just that YS is way more attractive to me with its excellent battle system and addictive gameplay, nice exploration and environments, some metroidvania mechanics, cool dungeons ecc.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Trails is far superior imo. Ys has good gameplay, but Trails has that as well and an extremly elaborate story thats well told on top of it - over multiple entries. It's kinda like Kingdom Hearts but not a mess.

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna go with Ys.

Trails is recently falling into the so called otaku bait dark hole and I hate this. It is getting worse and worse. Ys meanwhile is just as it was aside from some problematic issues here and there. Trails Sky trilogy were the best trails.

Also the gameplay in Ys is far superior in all it's three forms.

Oct 25, 2017
Ys has the better gameplay and you don't have to spend a thousand years interacting with every NPC to get the most out of the game so that.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Can't really decide, I only played Ys Origin and Ys 8 which was one of the best A-RPG of the gen imo.

I'm now going through the trails series. (In the middle of Ao currently) and it's amazing how everything connects, it definitely became one of my favorite jrpg series. Can't wait to get into the Cold Steel games.

I'd say I love both series for different reasons currently.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Trails because I love how interconnected the world is in these games. Like the stuff you see in Sky games will later connect to the other games and so forth.

Also the music is fantastic and the gameplay is really fun.

Whenever this OST played I remember getting extremely hyped for a certain boss lol.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
My opinions tend to be a bit transient in terms of specific order but if I had to list right now;

pre "party" ys > sky trilogy > ys viii >> rest of "party" ys >> cold steel (though 3).

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Trails.

I dropped Ys 8 around 10 hours in. I found it simply mediocre in all aspects except music.

I finished the Trails of Cold Steel 1 and dropped the 2nd near the end (I think). It's a fine game but it's very repetitive since it follows the exact same formula for pretty much the whole game. I wish it was shorter and less predictable. Once again I thought the music was a banger and I really liked the characters overall.

These were the only games I've played from this dev, imo they really need to improve their game design.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Ys because it isn't bogged down with too much dialogue like Trails. I've restarted Trails of Cold Steel several times trying to like it. I did like a couple of psp trails games, but I love all the Ys games I have played

Oct 31, 2017
I've played like 5 or 6 Ys games and only 1 Trails game (FC)

FC was an utterly miserable experience and IMO an incredibly overrated game. I liked almost nothing about it. Art style sucked, music was straight up bad at best and irritating at worst, battle system was whatever, characters were forgettable, and the world was incredibly dull

Ys has a LOT of room for improvement but it's way fucking better than Trails

And maybe Falcom fans like this but the NPC's droning on and on is incredibly obnoxious

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Trails.

I like the action gameplay in Ys, but what trails do (a gigantic interconnected story with an insane amount of localtions/characters/events that are relevant in future games) is far more impressive. Old Ys games are nice (but rather simplistic) and the modern ones seem to try too hard to introduce lots of dialogue/NPCs/story scenes that never feel that interesting and are at odds with the fast-paced action nature of the games.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Trails.

I dropped Ys 8 around 10 hours in. I found it simply mediocre in all aspects except music.

I finished the Trails of Cold Steel 1 and dropped the 2nd near the end (I think). It's a fine game but it's very repetitive since it follows the exact same formula for pretty much the whole game. I wish it was shorter and less predictable. Once again I thought the music was a banger and I really liked the characters overall.

These were the only games I've played from this dev, imo they really need to improve their game design.

To be fair Cold Steel 2 is by far the worst game in the series you should definately try the the Sky triology or the Crossbell games which are much better then the Cold Steel games except maybe 3 which was pretty good.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Ys has the better gameplay and you don't have to spend a thousand years interacting with every NPC to get the most out of the game so that.

Never understood why people said you have to interact will all the NPCs multiple times to get the most out of Trails. It's just a nice touch but nothing the games depend upon imo.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
To be fair Cold Steel 2 is without a doubt by far the worst game in the series you should definately try the the Sky triology or the Crossbell games which are much better then the Cold Steel games except maybe 3 which was pretty good.

I didn't think it was bad, in fact I really enjoyed the start where you get your crew back (the first 20h or so?). The problem was after when you get the ship, you start having like 3 tasks and only then the story moves forward, rinse and repeat for the rest of the game. The first was also like this with the field studies, the flow of the game becomes super predictable and I don't like that.

Also I'm the type of person that likes to talk to everyone to get more of the story/world and that can get really tiring in these games, but if I don't do it I feel like I'm missing part of the game (and in fact I am, since for some reason hidden side-quests are a thing) so in the end I just burned out.

Oct 31, 2017
I see that everywhere for Trails. People act like the most interesting thing about the game is NPCs dialogue lol

you're not wrong

I chose to never give another Trails game a chance after FC because the overall message I got was "if you don't love talking to NPC's for world building purposes then don't play the game"

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
I thought trail was mediocre while Ys outside of a few bad ones is a rather consistent and fun serie of games to go through. Nayuta no Kiseki is alright though.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I think both series have kinda lost their way but Ys is still at least somewhat entertaining (albeit bloated) and far less embarrassing to play than the Cold Steels.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Never understood why people said you have to interact will all the NPCs multiple times to get the most out of Trails. It's just a nice touch but nothing the games depend upon imo.

I agree, I don't do that, I speak to familiar faces when I see them but that's it. I just don't have the time. There are too many games you need to get done in order to catch up with the series, it would take an obscene amount of time to do everything and talk to everyone in each game.

I would've done it if I was caught up and only needed to play the newest entry though. But I started the series around 2 months ago knowing I had 8 games to play before CSIV so no way lmao

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Ys VIII is fantastic, but Trails is the grander series overall.
Trails on the Sky SC is within my top 3 games of all time.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Trails has just become embarrassing with Cold Steel 2 and 3. I loved TitS but CS3 is just ludicrous with the level of leaning into sexualising it's female cast, it's just indicative of the way these games have been circling the drain over the last decade with all the harem crap. Ys is always enjoyable though, even if a few of the designs are awful.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Cant wait for trails to get away from cold steel cst and characters. Theyve gotten really bad.

Some quirks of the newer Ys games arent to m y liking either and Ys8 was way overblown.

I wouldnt say either series is going downhill per se but i do think theyve both seen better days.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Ys by far. I've enjoyed nearly all of the games I've played except 1+2. With Trails I've tried two of them and dropped them after about 15 hours each. They do have my interest by saying they'll be changing up the battle systems with the next game so maybe I'll give it another shot, but it'll definitely be the last time I try getting into the series or I don't end up liking the new systems either.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Ys.

I loved Trails in the Sky and Cold Steel, but they were difficult to continue with since it took a while for the localizations (Trails in the Sky in particular, not to mention PSP to Vita so no save transfer to my knowledge), so by the time the next game was released I was involved with something else or busy with life. They're long, heavily story driven games, whereas Ys was always easy to pick up and jump right into the action.

On a side note, I wish their were more Ys figurines. I have three Trails in the Sky, but only one Ys figure.

a glitch

Dec 12, 2018
I've only played Ys so I won't vote, but I find the idea of starting the Trails games kind of intimidating - from what I've heard there are seven of them available in the west, they take 50+ hours each to complete and you have to play the earlier entries to know what's going on in later ones, and I think there are some entries that never got an English release? That's a hell of a commitment.

OTOH the Ys games are self-contained enough for someone to play one of them and not feel like they're missing out too much if they haven't played previous entries.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Ys, i dont like where Trails is going. Kondo and his friends are turning the series into a never ending fan service fest.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
One of these moments when i go "hmm, i should play the entire Trails serie...oh goddamnit how many games is it from the first Dragonslayer until now?!"

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
<-----

Only played Cold Steel series. I'll get around to Trails In the Sky someday.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I really like Trails in general, while Ys i think only Origin, Felghana and probably Ys II are really good.

Party based Ys are still enjoyable games but also kinda disappointing structure wise, and they're like what Ys turned into and this is kinda sad.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
They're completely different series so can't really compare. Both fantastic.

Capndrake

Oct 28, 2017
Both have been kind of in decline recently (with the exception of Ys VIII) but I've had much more fun with Trails overall, the interconnected story adds so much.