• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Now that you mention it, why XSEED can't get the dual audio while NISA can?
For all we know they Ys VIII by Xseed would have had dual audio too.
one note; we cannot say for certain if the dual audio releases are just because of XSEED not being willing to pay for it (other games from them are dual-audio) or because Falcom just never put thought in it for their contracts. The only games that have got dual-audio are games that released after Cold Steel's overseas release after which Kondo acknowledged the demand for JP voices in the west. This to me gives me the impression that they simply never thought about localisation clausules in their contracts with studios until recently. People forget or just deny that the Japanese voice-acting industry is a huge clusterfuck filled with stuck up hawks.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
A friend of mine pre-ordered this months ago and Steam won't refund him because the purchase happened too long ago.

Bullshit. Refunds should be mandatory for broken products such as this one. It's the only way companies will learn.

Probably because the release was set for September, but didn't get changed in the database when it really went live.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Falcom doesn't give a shit about what their overseas fans want. They only care that the fans exist and are buying their games regardless of publisher. It will be clear soon enough, but all Falcom really cares about is who can pay them the highest licensing fee for their titles, regardless of prior partnerships, established localization standards, or whatever. Of course Falcom is aware that overseas fans exist, they know because that's why other companies are willing to bid more for their licenses. Because the fans exist. But that's all Falcom cares about, overseas fans are a means to make companies fight over license fees. Money money money money money.
Yeah, I think people are a bit too lenient with Falcom in this regard if they think their decisions are made just based on a lack of knowledge of what fans want. Of course they are business and this is their right, but you shouldn't romanticize their decision making process if you want to get an accurate idea of what is happening and for which reasons.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
A friend of mine pre-ordered this months ago and Steam won't refund him because the purchase happened too long ago.

Bullshit. Refunds should be mandatory for broken products such as this one. It's the only way companies will learn.
He should be egligible to a refund anyway. Tell him to try this:
If you're having issues with receiving a refund for Ys VIII through the request tool, submit a ticket instead. You can do this by searching for your purchase on the help site and clicking "I have a question about this purchase". Some who pre-ordered Sonic Mania had to do go that route as they were being denied a refund on the basis of purchase date/playtime due to overlapping emulator licences.

Suzushiiro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
The good news is that unless NISA already locked down a contract that's impossible to get out of we probably don't have to worry about them getting CS3/4 anymore.

I think it's only because NISA got the original JPN audio for Ys 8 whereas XSeed couldn't for Ys Memories Celceta. The logic is if NISA handles Cold Steel 3 and 4 (oh god) then they would have original audio.

Now, the question is: is your precious original audio worth a game full of technical issues, bugs, text errors, and lazy asset swap mistakes like "press R1 for this" in the tutorial of the PC version? I don't think so.

XSeed anti-fanboys seem to be in two categories (that probably have a lot of overlap):

-Weebs who are mad that they don't do dual audio
-Playstation fanboys who are mad that Sky 3 was PC-only (and maybe also that they didn't back-port the CS1/2 PC verson enhancements to Vita/PS3)

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think people are a bit too lenient with Falcom in this regard if they think their decisions are made just based on a lack of knowledge of what fans want. Of course they are business and this is their right, but you shouldn't romanticize their decision making process if you want to get an accurate idea of what is happening and for which reasons.

I'm more baffled at Falcom than anything else, yeah even if you care about "money, money, money", you can't make money if your games starts declining in sales.

I don't think the game is doing very well, even by it's niche status, and the negative reviews, bad word of mouth and the already 7 months delay, might had hurt sales in a considerably way.

You don't build a goodwill for years and tear apart for just doing some more bucks with licensing, totally jeopardizing that same money you do in the west.

I guess they must see west sales as some disposable extra money, but in the current gaming status is risky to focus in just one territory.

Even by the business argument this seems like a very bad idea.

Deleted member 8106

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

If he played more than 2 hours he is out of luck, but if he played less, Steam NEEDS to refund it: no matter when he purchased the game, he has 14 days from the release date to get a refund.
Interesting if Steam is denying refunds, it could be a precedent.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
If he played more than 2 hours he is out of luck, but if he played less, Steam NEEDS to refund it: no matter when he purchased the game, he has 14 days from the release date to get a refund.
I have 1 hour of playtime and it keeps getting denied. I'll the approach JaseC posted now. I pre-ordered the game back in september.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
The popular theory is that the game having had a release date already back in September messes up the automatic system somehow. I agree that they absolutely need to honor the requests.

Deleted member 8106

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have 1 hour of playtime and it keeps getting denied. I'll the approach JaseC posted now. I pre-ordered the game back in september.
http://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/

Link them this. It's clearly stated you are eligigle for a refund whitin 14 days/2 hours from the release date of the product.
Opening a ticket it's the way, since refunds are automated maybe there's some bug going on, because the release date was updated so it's not possible the old one is still the one checked for refunds.

Capndrake

Oct 28, 2017
Uhh.. did NISA just remove every single Steam review?

735d61f1333a78ffed31603b6b6132e4.png

EDIT: Guess it was just a Steam bug, they're back now.

Last edited:

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe they'd be dumb enough to do this. Hell, I didn't know a publisher could even delete reviews in the first place?

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
Haha I was just reading the reviews to see what's wrong with the game this time and poof, they're all gone. I really want to get this game but jeez, it must be that bad then...

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
is that even legal? whats the point of reviews if they can be deleted?

edit: steam bug, pitchforks are off

Last edited:

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Luckily for NISA SteamSpy no longer tracks owners so we can't see just exactly how abysmally this game is doing.

Shantom

Oct 25, 2017
There's a fairly frequent Steam bug (API issue?) where a game will show no reviews. Don't get the pitchforks out just yet.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The only thing going agaist it imo is the art-style. It just looks like a generic anime. Not that Ys is well known for its amazing art or anything, but the old ones at least had a somewhat classic anime feel. Also I feel like the story is a bit too childish with some really bad jokes thrown in here and there. Again, Ys isn't really known for having amazing stories, but I'd rather it just be a classic, basic story than this overly dramatic stereotypical schlock. Outside of that it's one of the best Ys games I've played, way better than Seven or Celceta.
Falcom always tends to follow "generic anime" trends, the only difference is that people have been hating the recent trends a lot more.

The good news is that unless NISA already locked down a contract that's impossible to get out of we probably don't have to worry about them getting CS3/4 anymore.

XSeed anti-fanboys seem to be in two categories (that probably have a lot of overlap):

-Weebs who are mad that they don't do dual audio
-Playstation fanboys who are mad that Sky 3 was PC-only (and maybe also that they didn't back-port the CS1/2 PC verson enhancements to Vita/PS3)
In the past we have seen that Falcom has a clausule in their contracts they can break off if they dislike the direction, we saw this with with a developer that licensed Ys for an online spinoff. Re: the 3rd only on PC is mostly because Falcom returned their dev kit to Sony at that point so nobody could do text insertion.
Uhh.. did NISA just remove every single Steam review?

735d61f1333a78ffed31603b6b6132e4.png
Steam seems to have hiccups at the moment, the Tales of Berseria reviews also disappeared for example.

NISA: let's destroy Steam and call it a day

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
Worth noting that the Falcom Twitter didn't tweet out about the PC release, usually they do when XSeed release a game and when Aksys released TX on GOG. And it also looks like some Japanese sites are picking up the news about the PC port of Ys 8.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow popped in just to see what's up and this is just depressing. I hope XSEED just gets everything even if they are slower, such a good company. My Falcom backlog is massive anyways.

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
modified my post to reflect that its a steam bug, i suggest others to do the same.

game has enough issues to talk about without getting derailed due to this review bug

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Wow popped in just to see what's up and this is just depressing. I hope XSEED just gets everything even if they are slower, such a good company. My Falcom backlog is massive anyways.
I have been buying Falcom games from Xseed site unseen basically, at release. I delayed purchasing Tokyo Xanadu EX+ over localization concerns. Finally bought it on sale. Xanadu EX+ localization was pretty good first 4 chapters but became a bit worse afterwards to an extent but still decent.

Ys VIII is another game where I am delaying purchase till later on and will only get it on a significant sale or used. Meh.... It's terrible that Falcom just doesn't give a shit and neither does NISA really. If NISA or Aksys gets CS3/4 I will do the same (heavy sale/used). Double meh... To note, I own Vita/PS3/PC copies of CS1/2 and PS4/PC/Vita copies of all the Ys games.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
I guess they must see west sales as some disposable extra money, but in the current gaming status is risky to focus in just one territory.

Japanese territory to be exact which is even worse considering their decaying demographic. Though Falcom niche is stable throughout the years, they definitely have room to grow even more overseas but this debacle basically stifles them to do so.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Japanese territory to be exact which is even worse considering their decaying demographic. Though Falcom niche is stable throughout the years, they definitely have room to grow even more overseas but this debacle basically stifles them to do so.
to add on this; their revenue last year was divided with 70% domestically (Japan), 15% western territories and 15* asian territories (mostly China). They certainly have room to grow but people also need to understand that they still are a tony company of less than 50 employees, they already have been doing amazing the last few years.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have been buying Falcom games from Xseed site unseen basically, at release. I delayed purchasing Tokyo Xanadu EX+ over localization concerns. Finally bought it on sale. Xanadu EX+ localization was pretty good first 4 chapters but became a bit worse afterwards to an extent but still decent.

Ys VIII is another game where I am delaying purchase till later on and will only get it on a significant sale or used. Meh.... It's terrible that Falcom just doesn't give a shit and neither does NISA really. If NISA or Aksys gets CS3/4 I will do the same (heavy sale/used). Double meh... To note, I own Vita/PS3/PC copies of CS1/2 and PS4/PC/Vita copies of all the Ys games.
If you are going to be playing Ys VIII on PS4, there is no reason to wait. The localization has been fixed, the game runs very well on PS4. Unless you are avoiding the game to take a stance against NISA, you should go ahead and buy it on PS4 if you really want to play it.

Deleted member 11986

Oct 27, 2017
is Switch port gonna suck that much as PC too? Or Switch now has become an easier system to port PS4 games over PC too?

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
is Switch port gonna suck that much as PC too? Or Switch now has become an easier system to port PS4 games over PC too?
In theory the switch port should be a lot better, if only because it will need to get through Nintendo's Quality Assurance (Steam for example has no such equivalent). But also that port will be handled by NIS, not NISA, so different people will be involved.