• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
(Credit to Megatron for the OT title)

s8BPaY2.jpg

Platforms: Xbox One (Also available on PC/PS4/PS Vita)
Release Date: 4/11/2018
Original Release Dates: 12/21/2006 (JP only) 5/31/2012 (WW)
Developer: Nihon Falcom
Publisher: DotEmu
Size: 2.0 GB
Price: $19.99

What is Ys?
The Ys games are a series of Action-RPG's created by Japanese developer Nihon Falcom dating back to 1987 with the release of Ys I: Ancient Ys Vanished for the PC-8801. The series traditionally follows the exploits of protagonist Adol Christin and his numerous companions as he adventures through the various regions of the world.

Where does Ys Origin fit in?
Curiously, the first Ys game to find a home on Xbox platforms is actually a prequel explaining the backstory referenced in previous games and takes place around 700 years before the events of the first game. You will play as either Yunica Tovah or Hugo Fact in a journey to find the Ladies Reah and Feena, goddesses of the land of Ys, all in an attempt to return them to the Solomon Shrine before the land and it's people are destroyed by the demon army.

Gameplay:
As mentioned before, Ys Origin is a 2.5D Action-RPG that sees you choosing between 2 characters (there are unlockable characters as well), all with different move sets, and proceeding to wreak havoc on anything that gets in the way. All characters have a "Boost" meter than when filled enhances your character abilities or can be used for an all-powerful attack known as a "Burst".

aq2JOVL.gif
QBToPNU.gif
hxS8kxm.gif

Media:

OST (Click the pic)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zeta Ori

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Also worth mentioning the Xbox version contains a speedrun mode as well as the addition of a "blood" setting that lets players determine the quantity of blood on display in the game.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
THATS what ys 1 and 2 look like now? Holy hell. I still remember having to run into enemies because there was no sword animation. These games have come a long way!

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I hope everyone who plays likes the game, and remember, you do have to play as every character to get the full story and I highly recommend that anyway since all the characters play differently.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
THATS what ys 1 and 2 look like now? Holy hell. I still remember having to run into enemies because there was no sword animation. These games have come a long way!
This is Origin, a prequel to 1 and 2, not 1 and 2 themselves.

This is what the most recent version of 1 looks like:

ys1-1x-full.png

They still have the "bump system" for combat - it's not a limitation but part of their identity.

Goldboy

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought this game on impulse having never played a game in the series. Don't know what I'm getting into, looks cool though!

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I bought the game since it was 9.99 with the Deals. I am a big fan of Ys but I have only played Ys I+II before (first the PC re-released when they were Asia-only with a translation patch, then bought them on PSP).

I hope DotEmu will port other chapters to Xbox!

moeman

Oct 25, 2017
Given the dearth of discussion for the xbox port I'm guessing sales weren't great. Loving the game though. Just finished the mantis boss and boy the fights are well designed. Although i feel like I cheesed this boss lol.

basically just used the charged up fire spell for the entire fight and what bs is it that the health gauge regens like 3 times before you finally kill it