• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Technically the 4th, Taito's PS2 "Another Theory" remake was the 3rd (loosely based on the SFC one but very different).

Actually there was also the canceled MD/CD one too from Sega. Real shame it didn't happen given their excellent versions of Popful Mail, LOH1-2 and Lord Monarch. It probably would've been the best one.
Afaik the Mega CD one was the official Ys IV and was made by Falcom themselves which is why the PCE CD and the SFC Versions were outsourced

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Afaik the Mega CD one was the official Ys IV and was made by Falcom themselves which is why the PCE CD and the SFC Versions were outsourced
As I understood it Sega (or possibly Sims) was making it under their Sega-Falcom partnership label. Falcom only did the original design doc for Ys IV iirc and then licensed it out to Sega (MD), Hudson (PCE) and Tonkin House (SFC) for consoles and they each sort of made their own game. I've no idea if Falcom ever planned a PC88 or PC98 version though but it'd be another year before they'd start making console games themselves and even then they chose SFC (Popful Mail, Ys V) and PCE (Legend of Xanadu 1-2) anyway.

Fendajaz

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nice, never played this game series but dig the art style. Was just looking at PC, and PS4 footage on YT. Is it likely this will be 60fps on Switch?

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nice, never played this game series but dig the art style. Was just looking at PC, and PS4 footage on YT. Is it likely this will be 60fps on Switch?
Dotemu developed Streets of Rage 4, which turned out well on the Switch (mostly consistent 60fps), so hopefully they manage to deliver.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
As I understood it Sega (or possibly Sims) was making it under their Sega-Falcom partnership label. Falcom only did the original design doc for Ys IV iirc and then licensed it out to Sega (MD), Hudson (PCE) and Tonkin House (SFC) for consoles and they each sort of made their own game. I've no idea if Falcom ever planned a PC88 or PC98 version though but it'd be another year before they'd start making console games themselves and even then they chose SFC (Popful Mail, Ys V) and PCE (Legend of Xanadu 1-2) anyway.
An old french magazine of mine lists Falcom as the Mega CD developer of Ys IV during the Mega CD preview blowout of 1991. Falcom had already made Hudson and Nec Avenue port most of their games to the PC CD system and Sega port their few games to the Megadrive. But this was supposed to be Falcom's big console debut before the project was shelved due to abysmal Mega CD sales in Japan (and elsewhere tbh)

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about re-installing the game the other day since I never finished it back then. Hopefully, this is 60 fps, otherwise, I might just play this on PC.

daprodigalson

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone got any idea who dotemus 'European retail partners' are? Wanna try and snag the collectors Edirtion, but don't wanna use Ltd run if I can avoid it

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Anyone got any idea who dotemus 'European retail partners' are? Wanna try and snag the collectors Edirtion, but don't wanna use Ltd run if I can avoid it
as I already mentioned here, you can bet it's Merge Games again, with the same exact type of deal as with streets of rage 4. once LRG's preorders close (aka their timed exclusivity), they'll announce their standard retail edition and their signature edition.

Oct 27, 2017
The game is surprisingly fun and perfectly suited for a handheld. Will absolutely pick it up when I get a Switch in the future.