• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Has Sweeney stated what the difference is between the Shenmue 3 situation and Phoenix Point? If not, anyone want to ask him on Twitter?
He said Valve changed the rules after the Phoenix Point situation (they didnt).

Also, even if the rules changed, it makes no sense as Phoenix Point would need to create the keys in 1 year... after the rules have been "changed" (and when they make the launch into Steam).

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017

Your fucking partners are caught in the middle here?! WTF. The only people caught in the middle are the backers, which are getting their goodwill and trust repaid in fuckyous, lies and bullshit. EGS will never see my business, Valve is at least somewhat pro consumer.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017

Complicated situation... he created this situation lol. I mean he put them in the middle of this doing the deal and refusing refunds to backers. Of course, he is somehow making this about Valve. All he is doing is trolling along about the current steam sale too. I also noticed he now has "devil in disguise" under his Bio. Very self-aware that Tim.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Just remember....
giphy.gif

Oh wait a minute...?
Painful

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
The best part is that it is literally only an Epic decision. Epic could change or ignore any of the terms that are creating the conflict if they were so inclined. Sweeney could wake up tomorrow morning after a long night of being visited by the spirits of Digital Distribution past, present, and future, open his front window and shout down to a young morningbus to take this sack of gold and deliver it to Yu Suzuki's house along with the fattest, most exclusive goose.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I just want to point out that the other KS game Epic got (Phoenix Point) promised exactly that, Steam keys in a year.
I know, because it was the easiest and simple thing to do. Steam keys one year later, Epic key with one year of dlcs at release.
But it seems Ys doeson't want to provide jackshit. Or Epic, or DeepSilver, or whanever is in charge.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
The best part is that it is literally only an Epic decision. Epic could change or ignore any of the terms that are creating the conflict if they were so inclined. Sweeney could wake up tomorrow morning after a long night of being visited by the spirits of Digital Distribution past, present, and future, open his front window and shout down to a young morningbus to take this sack of gold and deliver it to Yu Suzuki's house along with the fattest, most exclusive goose.

Sweeney: 'Bah, humbug'

Javetus

Feb 23, 2019
What kind of hallucination is this? Sweeney, just take another big bag of money and offer the refunds, it's not that hard.

ShinNL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
No this is not fake. And yes, he really did tweet this:

Zps56Uf.png
But there is nothing wrong with this tweet...? Unless you twist it really hard and think he said something else. That's a normal statement from most gamers. As in WTF, since when do we love 'surprise mechanics', words put into our mouths by the EA spokesperson.

Example:
Statement: I don't consider it toxic water, but people enjoy swimming in 'mud'.
Tweet: WTF, people like to swim in 'mud' now?
Response: No, people don't like to swim in 'mud' and never will. You suck.
Me: This response guy.... *facepalm*

The "You suck" part is literally some of you and some of the tweets throwing a jab like he meant something else? Really?! You're trying to paint him as inhuman but if you respond like this, I have much more trouble reasoning with you instead.

Last edited:

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
But there is nothing wrong with this tweet...? Unless you twist it really hard and think he said something else. That's a normal statement from most gamers. As in WTF, since when do we love 'surprise mechanics', words put into our mouths by the EA spokesperson.

Example:
Statement: I don't consider it toxic water, but people enjoy swimming in 'mud'.
Tweet: WTF, people like to swim in 'mud' now?
Response: No, people don't like to swim in 'mud' and never will. You suck.
Me: This response guy.... *facepalm*

The "You suck" part is literally some of you and some of the tweets throwing a jab like he meant something else? Really?! You're trying to paint him as inhuman but if you respond like this, I have much more trouble reasoning with you instead.

Is this the reverse of "bitch eating cracker"?

He criticizes other companies for lootboxes. You know, the guy whose sole success in the last 2 years comes from microtransactions?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
We live in opposite world where it isn't Epic "trapping" a game to its store with exclusivity terms but Valve for not allowing a game to use its services for free.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Ignoring the game of 4D chess Lyin' Timmy is playing, even if Deep Silver/YsNet are currently unwlling or (most likely because of pressure from Epic) incapable of providing Steam keys they can at least provide refunds to those who had requested.

Although, I can see Deep Silver refusing to provide refunds who will then deflect it back to YsNet since they'll claim that they run the kickstarter. Even though DS was the one who secured the deal with Epic in the first place...

What a clusterfuck.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I understand the best course of action for Valve is to continue popcorn.gif-ing from the sidelines while Sweeney flails about on social media in an increasingly frantic fashion, but part of me wishes Kroll, Giardino, or another long-time Valve employee active on Twitter would engage, forcing him into a corner where he has to either begrudgingly make good on his word or very begrudgingly "admit" that he "misunderstood" the key generation guidelines and doesn't want to honour pre-existing backer commitments because doing so would sharply devalue Epic's "funding".

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the best course of action for Valve is to continue popcorn.gif-ing from the sidelines while Sweeney flails about on social media in an increasingly frantic fashion, but part of me wishes Kroll, Giardino, or another long-time Valve employee active on Twitter would engage, forcing him into a corner where he has to either make good on his word or very begrudgingly "admit" that he "misunderstood" the key generation guidelines and doesn't want to honour pre-existing backer commitments because doing so would sharply devalue Epic's "funding".

Well, Tim did it by himself here:

That's basically his interpretation of the guideline since he has yet to receive clarifications on that matter. :)

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Well, Tim did it by himself here:

That's basically his interpretation of the guideline since he has yet to receive clarifications on that matter. :)

One step closer to this:

The annoying thing isn't that he expects Valve's help; it's that Valve wouldn't act in the way he has continually asserted since the proverbial shit hit the fan. I get the strong impression that he's throwing out his disingenuous inferences to see if Valve will bite, and if there is no correction (formal or otherwise), then he'll feel he's free to claim that Steam keys were sought but the request was denied, much like how EA publicly blamed the removal of Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2 on Valve shortly after Origin "launched".

Just replace "denied" with "ignored". He's so predictable.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
One step closer to this:

Just replace "denied" with "ignored". He's so predictable.

Honestly, I'd love for Valve to bite in and bring clarifications, allowing for backers to get Steam keys. Just so that Sweeney face his own shit. He kept babbling about how he's willing to do it, even pay for it. If that's the case, I'd love for someone at Valve to step in and say "We allow it, for free". It's also in their best interest. Backers to remain in their ecosystem.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'd love for Valve to bite in and bring clarifications, allowing for backers to get Steam keys. Just so that Sweeney face his own shit. He kept babbling about how he's willing to do it, even pay for it. If that's the case, I'd love for someone at Valve to step in and say "We allow it, for free". It's also in their best interest. Backers to remain in their ecosystem.
I hope Valve just remain silent because no matter what pro-customer move that Valve does, Epic will just find a way to demonize Valve. Let this KS be the force that burn all the good will of future PC Kickstarter backers.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Valve just remain silent because no matter what pro-customer move that Valve does, Epic will just find a way to demonize Valve. Let this KS be the force that burn all the good will of future PC Kickstarter backers.

Honestly, I feel like Valve allowing it would be the best way possible. Either it would discourage Epic to moneyhat crowdfunded games OR it would force them to admit they bought backers too.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Ian dismissed the entire thing with the usual another launcher bs. Kyle said Shenmue fans should get over their pettiness and just play the game.

It was such a bad take it turned me off from the rest of their E3 coverage. Huber was the only one defending the backlash, so props to him for that.

How in the world can anyone be so dumb that he accuses backers that have funded a game, expects promises to be kept, of petiness?

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Ian dismissed the entire thing with the usual another launcher bs. Kyle said Shenmue fans should get over their pettiness and just play the game.

It was such a bad take it turned me off from the rest of their E3 coverage. Huber was the only one defending the backlash, so props to him for that.
I only recently started watching EZA; Huber is the one who's super into Shenmue, right? If so, that is a welcome surprise to hear him standing with the consumers.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
How in the world can anyone be so dumb that he accuses backers that have funded a game, expects promises to be kept, of petiness?

It seems for some people, the fact that Shenmue III happens to be a thing after all those years (which I waited for so long too) gives a pass for nearly evverything.
Basically : "Be glad it's even happening and be thankful" (despite being one of the many people who made it happen).

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of lootbox?
I guess they're hoping people aren't patient. From what I remember(I've not played STW too much recently) theres a timer which dictates when the lootbox will "change" so if someone is impatient, they'd still have to buy that lootbox anyway to get a lootbox containing something different to show up.

Mind you, the paid lootboxes in STW were really awful anyway. They don't contain any limited event items which are the more interesting heroes/weapons, only a measly amount of tickets which can be used to open the limited crates. It's far more efficient just playing the game to earn those limited event tickets though. I've never once considered putting any of the vbucks(the paid currency) I've earned in STW into those paid lootcrates, so I can't even begin to imagine why anyone would consider putting any real money in.

ShinNL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Is this the reverse of "bitch eating cracker"?

He criticizes other companies for lootboxes. You know, the guy whose sole success in the last 2 years comes from microtransactions?
Well you are definitely bothered by the person saying "He's just eating a damn cracker".

Not all microtransactions are lootboxes. I can't believe I have to actually type that sentence to explain it on a gaming forum.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017

Ian and Kyle must like the taste of shoe polish.

Reticon6

Banned
Oct 19, 2018
10,000m under surface level

Which video was this? I'm saddened that Kyle would allow this to slide.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Huber was the only one defending the backlash, so props to him for that.

Kindasorta. He called out the "bs" and was rather passionate in his disagreement, but when his co-hosts played the "It's just another [icon]" card, he quickly acquiesced. I'd call that a lateral move: he disagrees with the situation, but not to the point that he's willing to defend his stance in the face of opposing opinions.

Last edited:

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Never followed Easy Allies before, but they're not very impressive when it comes to analysis of a situation, based on what you see in the clip. The longhaired guy to the left being the worst of them.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Tim Sweeney "misspeaking" about a statement coming this week isn't too much of a surprise.
But it was a timeframe for something being done. Now I expect jack shit, for them to just try to fart it away in the wind.
I wouldnt be so sure about that.
I would be sure about fans being less eager to push it.
We would've been there like during the Kickstarter campaign. Now what was and should've been a joyous event has mostly turned sour for a significant amount of us.

And I will certainly push against Shenmue 3 if this isn't satisfactorily resolved before release. Both because of this and because Deep Silver is a THQ Nordic company.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The issue with such a reaction is that you can be pretty sure that Sweeney would use such an action as a wildcard for all further crowdfunded games that Epic buys as an exclusive.
Like "look, Steam can you give you your keys for free. They already did it once. If they don't do it now then blame them but DO NOT BLAME US!". He would absolutely tweet such stuff on a daily basis.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
No matter what Valve does or says, Timmy will continue to deflect, misdirect and vilify Valve as the "Abusive monopoly" because it's all he has. He has no intention of helping consumers and solving core issues developers face when it comes to distributing their games.

Valve giving this idiot the silent treatment is the correct course of action although that presents its own set of problems with a media that is unwilling to criticize Sweeny and will signal boost whatever bullshit he spews.

Last edited:

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
What's especially amusing about Sweeney claiming that Deep Silver hasn't heard back from Valve is that larger publishers are assigned a person on the Steam Business team to handle their inquiries. Steam Direct folks, like myself, or otherwise "smaller" outfits, have access to a ticket system that is overseen by the Steam Biz team as opposed to Steam Support; publishers of particular note, however, are assigned a contact on the Steam Biz team that they can liaise with directly.

Deep Silver isn't the publisher of JaseC Test App. Deep Silver is one the largest "AAAish" publishers in the industry.

Edit: I should also note that the likes of Deep Silver have access to a wider range of options on the Steamworks site (e.g. the ability to generate region-specific licences). In fact, I'd put money on key generation being automatic.

Last edited:

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
If it's legal, I hope Valve shares whatever action Deep Silver and Epic has taken to communicate with them. I will not be surprised if Ys Net, Deep Silver and Epic has done nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.