• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
Ys Net ran the kickstarter. If they have made the decision to bow to the whims of a publisher without ensuring that they would still be able to do right by their backers, that's on them.

People are right to kick up a fuss, otherwise Ys Net would just continue without any regard for their backers.

I never said you cant make a fuss, but said outrage happened, and now they responded quickly to the issue. At least we know something may done about it. Why can't we act mature and wait to see if they can resolve this issue?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for your journalistic input. Please see:
Official Staff Communication
Do not enter these threads in bad faith. If we conclude that your goal is to misrepresent the concerns of other users or rile people up, you will be moderated. Intent matters here. Honest questions or commentary about the differences and similarities between the Epic Games Store and other storefronts are fine. Deliberately and dismissively attempting to troll concerned members on those topics is not okay. These discussions must be held in good faith and in a civil manner.

You know what you aren't helping with?
Official Staff Communication
We've long had a general policy against hyperbolical vilification of the media and that rule has not been suspended.
So do you think your checkmark protects your drive by posts in bad faith?

Morgan Park

Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 3, 2018
Well, thanks for coming into the thread to tell us all how much you don't care about this thread.
Glad you have your check mark so you can shitpost threads.

(Looks, with your 22 posts that sure shows you are part of the community)

You're both right, happy to go into more detail instead of being reductive. The case that backers deserve a Steam version is thin to begin with, and mostly based on the pre-2019 assumption that if you're buying a game on PC, you're buying it for Steam. And I think this intersects with a separate issue people are having with Epic in general, based kind of on nothing.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I never said you cant make a fuss, but said outrage happened, and now they responded quickly to the issue. At least we know something may done about it. Why can't we act mature and wait to see if they can resolve this issue?

Quickly? You mean initially telling backers 'tough luck, EGS only and no refunds'

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There's no response other than "We'll look into it i guess" five days after the fact. You'll forgive people for not having the good will to take them at their word and making sure that they aren't just wating for this to blow over.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
You're both right, happy to go into more detail instead of being reductive. The case that backers deserve a Steam version is thin to begin with, and mostly based on the pre-2019 assumption that if you're buying a game on PC, you're buying it for Steam. And I think this intersects with a separate issue people are having with Epic in general, based kind of on nothing.
you didn't actually read the things people told you to read did you

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

So sad that a journalist fails to do basic research.

When the company itself released a form to all backers to finalize which version of the game they were getting.

Which Stated Steam or PS4.

It's literally In the giant block of purple text you felt you didn't have to read and went to shitpost.

Morgan Park

Verified
Oct 3, 2018
...you'd think a games journalist would have been paying attention to this whole fiasco.

Anyway, they are damned if they do and damned if they don't in regards to refunds. I say give the people their money back.
You're right, might as well give people their money back. Kickstarters are messy business.

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
What is the huge difference between Steam and EGS anyways?

Cuz I mean... If Epic is dumping a couple million dollars into this game just so it can release on EGS then well.... Fuck it. This game needs all the help possible.

The problem here is simple, people paid expecting a Steam Key or a Disk with a Steam Game, people will not be getting any of those, people want a refund, they denied the refund, people are pissed, rightfully so.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
You didn't read the staff posts before coming in, did you?

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
No... it's based on the fact that people have literally chosen "steam" out of the list of versions they could pick.

In the initial Kickstarter that assumption was made. But there's more than just the initial campaign.

Morgan Park

Verified
Oct 3, 2018
So sad that a journalist fails to do basic research.

When the company itself released a form to all backers to finalize which version of the game they were getting.

Which Stated Steam or PS4.
I know of this, and I guess that for the "spirit" of buying a game, this feels thin. But to the letter of the law, they would owe a Steam version. That's why it feels like a non-issue that people have decided to make one.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I know of this, and I guess that for the "spirit" of buying a game, this feels thin. But to the letter of the law, they would owe a Steam version. That's why it feels like a non-issue that people have decided to maek

How nice of you to determine what the spirit of buying the game is to people that backed the game.

LuciusAxelrod

Oct 25, 2017
Switched to PS4 because I didn't want to manage yet another online account but I'll switch back to Steam if they add the option to get the key after the exclusivity period. I probably won't get around to playing it until then anyway.

3rdman

May 25, 2018
Guy...guys...some respect please. A verified journalist has announced this to be a non-issue. No need to continue complaining, thank goodness!

Jun 26, 2018
Man people are just jumping at the chance to make bad faith arguments without reading the staff posts, it's wild.

Looking forward to see what Ys has to say about this situation once they get back from E3. Shit ain't looking good for the last 60% of Ryo's story.

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Moving on, this just sounds like typical PR speak but it does seem like the pressure is getting to them. I don't expect them to hand out refunds but I do suspect that they will honor what the backers want which is the best realistic outcome IMO.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
It's not about being unhappy about the EGS. It's about the fact that backers have been lead to believe to get steam keys which turned out to be a switch and bait to their own benefit.

That it's EGS is to me on principle irrelevant here. The way I see it given that the backers are your core benefactors(as in most loyal customers) is you owe it to them to have a talk about it and check how they would feel about it as it relates directly to the product they will be receiving.

Change EGS to anything else and it would be a bad look regardless given that it would still boil down to not valuing your backers in favor of receiving more money for yourself.
I understand what you're saying. Personally I don't think there would be much of a backlash at all if they swapped to, say, GoG. I kind of feel like it exists because of the closed nature of EGS and the baggage that it carries in core gaming communities.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Epic knows if the discussions of exclusivity gets out to the public, the PR backlash will break down negotiations or force them to pay more.

Its a nobrainer for Epic to require it

I mean, yeah. The responsible thing for a crowdfunded campaign to so would be to decline any NDA'd exclusivity offer and request that any offer be negotiable and accountable to backers.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Laughing-Men-In-Suits.jpg

They must be extremely shut out from the "real world" or so much detached from their potential fanbase that Developers only see the excitement of the money Epic is throwing around and not of the dozens of backlashes that are all over the Internet.
Kind of childish of you, with that reaction image in this context?

For some people I know who have opted to take these deals, the alternative was risk shutting down the studio or lay off employees since today's PC climate is insanely competitive and certainty of sales performance is not a given. I don't think risk aversion is not something we should shame people for when they have the responsibility of keeping food on the table for their employees and their families.

Please note I'm not specifically talking about Shenmue 3 here, but the aforementioned local dev community.

TSSZNews

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If assessing the situation doesn't involve offering refunds, they've not listened to anyone's concerns at all. If Epic can pay for the exclusive, they don't need my money anymore, so they can give it back.

But frankly I think they're just gonna try their hardest to not part with any cash. I've changed my pledge to PS4 and I'll be selling it to try and recoup my money and deny them a new sale.

Valve need to do something about this. Developers are peacocking themselves on Steam until Epic, using Sergey's tools, get metrics on the most anticipated games on the platform, before offering the exclusivity.

They should find a way to stop it, because right now Epic and the developers/publishers who sign these exclusives are getting free marketing off of Valve's dime.

I'd argue the best way to fight fire here is...with fire. If Valve cares that much about it, I'm sure they have the money to pony up for some exclusives of their own.

Nyteshade517

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, you write for PC Gamer. Well that explains a lot.

Relying on journalists to properly research the whole EGS mess is a fool's errand. They'll just copy paste whatever garbage that comes from Sweeny's mouth.

What a coincidence...

They write for PC Gamer who just happened to have a show at E3 sponsored by....drum roll please...Epic Games

Status
Not open for further replies.