• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I know Ys is all about the gameplay, but I couldn't for the life of me get into VIII and I'm pretty sure it was mainly because I didn't care for the setting or premise at all. This looks much, much more interesting to me. Is western release confirmed yet?

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
My thought process watching the trailer was something like "Not Falcom sound team's best work.."

*two minutes in* "...oh wait nvm"

I know Ys is all about the gameplay, but I couldn't for the life of me get into VIII and I'm pretty sure it was mainly because I didn't care for the setting or premise at all. This looks much, much more interesting to me. Is western release confirmed yet?

Not yet.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
I'm still going through Ys VIII but had to watch this, can't wait.
My only problem with VIII so far is how tiny the zones are and constantly loading in between them. Obviously a Vita limitation, it didn't bother me with Celceta since I played it on Vita but playing VIII on PS4 with all that loading is rough.

Already liking that IX's zones look much bigger.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Those characters dont look how i am used to from ys. Looks totally different

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay looks good.

Not sure how I feel about the world design though. It looks bland and grey.
Well, the game takes place in a 'prison city' for the most part so that's explainable but I get your thoughts. That being said:

9hyb61P.png

It seems to have color when it needs to, but the story setting implies that this is not really the sort of setting that would be bright and colorful in the first place.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I hear so much praise for this series and the developer, but the low budget presentation always turns me off. The last game was at least really colorful and vibrant, this just looks grey and dreary.

Is this also a Vita port like Ys VIII?

It certainly does not look like a late gen PS4 title.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, the game takes place in a 'prison city' for the most part so that's explainable but I get your thoughts. That being said:

9hyb61P.png

It seems to have color when it needs to, but the story setting implies that this is not really the sort of setting that would be bright and colorful in the first place.
I either forgot or never heard about it but Prison City? That sounds really cool. Makes sense if they are going for a "dire" vibe if that's the case.

I was interested in the story but now I am hyped.

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
I either forgot or never heard about it but Prison City? That sounds really cool. Makes sense if they are going for a "dire" vibe if that's the case.

I was interested in the story but now I am hyped.
nQTYTyq.jpg

They released a map of the Prison City the game takes place in. As you can see, the big-ass prison is on the top right there.

The 'blue-haired Adol' you have seen in promo material for Ys 9 is because he starts the game on the run from the series mainstay, Romn, and the Romun army so he dyed his iconic red hair to stay in disguise. Balduq is a Romun prison city. So yeah.

From the wiki:

"Ys IX: Monstrum Nox takes place in Balduq, northeast of Esteria in the Gllia region under Romun control. Balduq is known as 'the prison city' for its large prison facility inside the town and its architecture featuring high walls as a result of being built upon the fortified era. Furthermore the city is an important nexus for transportation in the region resulting in a wide range of inns, bars and trade centers. In more recent years public facilities such as theaters and baths are starting to be developed too.

In more recent years rumours of beings called "Monstrum" are said to have started appearing creating a huge fuss with its residents. The Monstrum are said to possess unique supernatural abilities, some of them seem to be helping the poor and helpless, others are outlaws up to no good. This dichotomy results in the villagers becoming scared/wary of them.

Balduq Prison, located at the edge of the city, supposedly is the largest prison facility of the Romun empire. Originally it was a fortress built to protect the Romun border, it is more recently that it has been repurposed as a prison facility. Featuring only one entrance through a drawbridge and surrounded by steep rock walls and deep moats it is said to be inescapable. The townsfolk does not hold the prison facility in high regard as the facility also is used to detain critics of the empire as does it detain political prisoners."

The Monstrum include the demihumans in your party.

Oct 27, 2017
That sounds really interesting. Some of it reminds me of Tales of Berseria (the monstrum) which is pretty cool.

I am always down for prison city type settings. Something about them just feels great.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope NISA does a better job from the get go this time... and a less crash happy pc version, too.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
This is my second most anticipated game for this year after Ai: The Somnium Files. Ys is always soooo satisfying to play.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
In my humble opinion, I think the character designs, both 2D art & 3D models, are OK; at least, for anime/JRPG standards.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
as always this will be a great game and i'll be there day one. Getting tired of their 3d chars though. Shit just looks like pure modern anime now, the promo art is inspired by awakening.

Will buy the soundtrack too.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
I'll be getting it for sure but man. They keep shoving Dogi aside for no actual good reason when he's clearly one of the strongest dudes in the room.
9 Ys games and I've only got to play as him once. Him and the anchor dude from 8 are like the only two varying body types in the series and they keep shoving him aside for some real generic ass characters imo and it's upsetting to me. Just want a traditional Adol/Dogi adventure...

At least Adol looks good as hell in this one.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
English releases of new/non-port Ys games have consistently been about a year after the Japanese releases, starting with Ys Seven. No reason to expect this one to be any different.

I hear so much praise for this series and the developer, but the low budget presentation always turns me off. The last game was at least really colorful and vibrant, this just looks grey and dreary.

It certainly does not look like a late gen PS4 title.
Falcom is basically like an indie developer with shareholders, so they pump out at least one new game a year to keep revenue coming in and don't really have the manpower or time for high fidelity visuals. Most of the praise is for the music, gameplay (Ys), or story (Trails).

dumbyugi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not worried about the game being bad, I'm sure it'll be great, but Falcom games in general could really use a new look. I understand they're not a huge company but this really should look better then it does.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Animations looking good with the extra stuff they're trying this time around. I know the somewhat dull look is due to the prison setting but it's not something that really suits Falcoms current graphical capability.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It looks fun in the way that Ys games are, but I'm going to miss that island setting and upbeat characters. Which is something I never thought I would.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
This is the first time Falcom is using motion capture for cutscenes and other non-battle animations. It will feel much more alive compared to VIII and Celceta.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Hope this doesn't end up taking too long to localize. Going to be interesting playing a game mainly set in a city setting after VIII was a deserted island.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I don't know, maybe i'm just too old, but i find those character designs disgusting to look at.
"Disgusting" isn't what comes to mind, more like bland and generic. One of Falcom's biggest issues, their character design is pretty weak.

They had a good thing going on around the time of Ys 7 where they got the Baccano artist to work for them, but that's it.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Dang. Hopefully we'll hear more soon.

Don't expect to hear anything about a western release until after the Japanese version releases. Falcom doesn't start talking about localizations until the Japanese version of a game is out.

With that said, this game is going to get a Western release. Ys (after XSeed did their ports and with how well Ys VIII was received) has carved out a nice little name for itself in west.

Can't wait to get my hands on this game, it looks fantastic.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
"Disgusting" isn't what comes to mind, more like bland and generic. One of Falcom's biggest issues, their character design is pretty weak.

They had a good thing going on around the time of Ys 7 where they got the Baccano artist to work for them, but that's it.

It might sound like an harsh, exaggerated reaction, but personally i can't really stand anymore that kind of ugly, tacky 2010s generic artstyle and all those garish, overdesigned trashy outfits in anime games.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Love how it looks and I know I will love how it plays.

I think the "Vampire King" design for Adol is one of his best yet, and "Doll" is one of the most elegant and cool Ys characters we have had in a while.

Nov 2, 2017
Hmmm I wonder What Nis america will focus on after Cold steel 3 go Straight to 4 or YS IX for 2020 Hope they can do both for 2020

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
It's starting to look really good, still not sure if I'll import or just wait for the localization since there are a bunch of other September games coming out I'm interested in.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Graphics went from Tales of Abyss to Tales of Xillia, good shit lol.

And yes it's lookin good.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
That sure looks like a Ys game

Not a fan of the character designs, too busy looking