• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Why is NISA so awful? Literally the worst choice after the fall of ignition entertainment.

Also Ys VIII is awesome, but it is crazy they had to retranslate the game and the PC port was released broken.

Good luck to everyone waiting for the PC/Switch port of Ys IX

It's not much to do with NISA in this case. Falcom are the ones doing the programming to add the localization. Granted NISAs QA could have caught it but they probably have either few or no PS5s and QA is likely a remote job right now. They at least already said a patch was in the works.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I was about to buy this today but I have a PS5 :/
Is NISA patching the game day 1 to fix the crashing or is it "soon" or something? I'll wait if the crashing is terrible and not patched at launch.

Game looks cool though! I'm currently playing through 8 on PC and it's been really fun so far.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
Pre-ordered with every intention of playing it Day One on a PS5. Hopefully a Day One patch addresses any issues, or shortly after.

Started playing the Ys games last June after Ys IX's localisation was announced. The very example of a series I wanted to play but had been keeping on the back-burner for too long. Managed to complete every game (released in English) by 27 December, and had a brilliant time with them all. Happy to hear the narrative is well-received in this title.

It'll be weird to have completed this game, and then suddenly having no more Ys games to play. Caught up.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Game's coming out tomorrow in NA right? Hopefully there's a patch by then, have to wait until the 5th myself because EU.

Is there an OT being made?

About how long is a 100% run?

According to howlongtobeat:

QRJa2M8.png

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
Game's coming out tomorrow in NA right? Hopefully there's a patch by then, have to wait until the 5th myself because EU.

Is there an OT being made?

According to howlongtobeat:

QRJa2M8.png
Hmm. That's reasonable enough. To pre-order or not. I won't play it immediately, but I want a physical PS4 version...

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only seeing a $75 dollar "digital deluxe" entry on the PS5 store. How can I find the regular version?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the game launched and the only entry on the store is a $75 digital deluxe version. No normal game for sale.

Pretty sketchy.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the game launched and the only entry on the store is a $75 digital deluxe version. No normal game for sale.

Pretty sketchy.
I wanted to buy it again to support the localisation, but at the moment all they've got on the AU store is a US ~$86 version, which is just lol.

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
Anyone able to find this locally? I guess I missed the Amazon release day delivery. Both GameStop and Best Buy are showing not available for delivery or pickup. Walmart.. delivery only.. as if I don't have enough to play tomorrow.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
Very interested in this. My favorite thing about Ys VIII is how I started off enjoying the exploration and slowly uncovering the map (I actually liked the whole "need X number of people to open new areas" thing even though I know a lot of people didn't), but thinking the story was kind of bad. Some of the early chapters were really rough, when it was just about the shipwrecked crew and their inner strife and all.

But then, around when you get to the halfway point, I found myself suddenly really liking the story once it ramps up and deals with Dana's plotline. I found myself surprisingly invested in her character, and the history of the island, and really liked the tragic arc of how it all played out. Well... until the ending kind of went into "epic planet anime bullshit" mode, but still, it was fun.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Is there only a PS4 version of the game? I see the non deluxe version on the web store.

Last edited:

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Started playing on my PS5 and thought the colors looked really dull and muted. Then I noticed my TV is in in HDR mode which I'm guessing this game doesn't support. Having to go into system settings to disable HDR upscaling seems like it will get annoying.

This game has a pretty slow start so far, but I'm already loving the soundtrack. It seems like we're going to be spending a lot of time in the prison which seems less interesting than the island in 8. But still excited to dig in.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
How viable is it to do a nightmare playthrough on first run? I did it for Ys viii and found the difficulty about right. Is this the same? If I did it in new game plus I'm guessing your levels carry over like in cold steel?

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome reviews! Already had the game pre-ordered and I'm very much looking forward to playing it after work later tonight. Ys is a fantastic series and I'm happy that IX finally released outside of Asia. It took a while, but I'm happy it's finally here.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Metacritic (80)
OpenCritic (82)

Noisy Pixel (9.5/10, video):

Inverse (9/10):

Hey Poor Player (4.5/5):

GamePitt (9/10):

GameSkinny (9/10):

Millenium (85/100, review in French):

Gamersky (8.5/10, review in Chinese):

PSX Brasil (85/100, review in Portuguese):

The Mako Reactor (8.5/10):

Video Chums (8.4/10):

RPGFan (81/100):

God is a Geek (8/10, video):

RPG Site (8/10):

Hardcore Gamer (4/5):

WayTooManyGames (8/10):

SpazioGames (7.9/10, review in Italian):

IGN Italy (7.9/10, review in Italian):

Everyeye.it (7.8/10, review in Italian):

Finger Guns (7/10):

Eurogamer Italy (7/10, review in Italian):

Siliconera (7/10):
Out now?

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Not in Europe (it releases on Friday) and in Australia (it releases on the 12th there I think).

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Anyone able to find this locally? I guess I missed the Amazon release day delivery. Both GameStop and Best Buy are showing not available for delivery or pickup. Walmart.. delivery only.. as if I don't have enough to play tomorrow.
Having a hard time finding it here in Ontario, Canada. Not searchable on the Amazon site but I see switch versions available for preorder and releasing 3-31-21 on EBgames, but all PS4 versions are OOS. Not sure what's up with the physical release on this.

Oracleofdust

Prophet of Regret
Nov 3, 2017
I pre-ordered this game, but I never played any of the other Ys games. Always had a passing interest to play 8 but it's impossible to get a physical copy. Would you recommend playing VIII before IX?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I pre-ordered this game, but I never played any of the other Ys games. Always had a passing interest to play 8 but it's impossible to get a physical copy. Would you recommend playing VIII before IX?
Each Ys game is framed as a journal entry the main character of the series, Adol, is writing some point in the future (well, all except the game he isn't in lol (Ys Origin)). The stories are unconnected and you can play them in whatever order you want (again, with the exception of Ys 1 and 2, but those are sold bundled together anyway).

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Good to see it's reviewing well.

I'm holding off for the PC version. I've got all the other games on my PC, so I'd prefer to have IX on the same platform.

Hopefully, it releases soon.

Oct 27, 2017
OKC
played a bit last night and this morning, first time ever playing a Ys game.

it's good! its definitely a bit bland looking but at least it is running at 60 on my ps5. combat is definitely fun and im glad to hear its not like a 100 hour long game. pretty excited to dive into it more later.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Any word on how it runs on Switch compared to PS4? Wondering if I should wait as I get more switch time than ps time