• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Sounds good to me. I'm really enjoying Y's VIII currently so looking forward to this eventually.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
What is the overall tech/performance on PS5, crashes aside? 4K with smooth 60fps with no dips, I hope? If the PS5 can't run a game that looks like a borderline PS2 game at a smooth 60... xD

The crashing issue is 100% a localization problem that should be fixed. I would caution playing it on PS5 until then, though.
Ah, bummer. Guess I'll wait.

Got some PSN store credit that needs using up.
Me too... ;)

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Surprised by these scores

I played the japanese version, to me it was a 6 (guess it would be a 7 with how reviews usually score games these day, i rather use the full scale)

i played all Ys games and this one really disappointed me

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, they kept the tower defence garbage? Oh well, the rest of the game looks good.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
What's wrong with it?

it's basically Ys 8.5 with everything that was good stripped from it, boring ass huge city with the majority of the game taking place in it, boring places to explore outside of it too, super flat!

The combat is still good, but the bosses are for the majority really lame (there was like 2 or 3 that was really good, sadly that was the minority)... didn't help that the framerate was shit even on ps4 pro... but apparently it was fixed with later patches

The dungeons, some of them are nice but most of them are also boring to explore! Some of the characters have great traversal gimmicks to explore with them, but they're barely exploited at all until the last dungeon, so many missed opportunities

Music are still really good at least

I guess people will still enjoy it, but i'm quite more difficult to please in general (these reviews confirms that, lol)

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
it's basically Ys 8.5 with everything that was good stripped from it, boring ass huge city with the majority of the game taking place in it, boring places to explore outside of it too, super flat!

The combat is still good, but the bosses are for the majority really lame (there was like 2 or 3 that was really good, sadly that was the minority)... didn't help that the framerate was shit even on ps4 pro... but apparently it was fixed with later patches

The dungeons, some of them are nice but most of them are also boring to explore! Some of the characters have great traversal gimmicks to explore with them, but they're barely exploited at all until the last dungeon, so many missed opportunities

Music are still really good at least

I guess people will still enjoy it, but i'm quite more difficult to please in general (these review confirms that, lol)
I see, thanks. Sounds like a bummer but still worth playing... but I'll definitely wait for the patch for those crashes at least.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like exactly what I expected while playing the demo. Falcom really needs to level up. They've been stuck in traction for a while now and it's really hard to get excited about their games anymore outside of the music.

HyPeR92

Feb 4, 2019
Well we are talking about Sony here..
I still remember the Cold Steel 3 start were people who preordered the game in PS store weren't able to fix it for almost till 3 days after the release (some license issue at start). That was definitely the last time I preordered something in PS store. Sony didn''t really seem to care back then and even if it might not have been Sony's fault at least they could have supported NISA a bit better instead of needing 3 days to help them fix it..

If you aren't from a big company it seems like Sony simply doesn't care..

But looks good. I hope the game delivers.. still waiting for the PC version I think.. could buy it for PS4 but well I think I will wait..

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game runs 60 FPS on PS5, but seems like there are a decent amount of crashes

@Owl
From RPG Site.com " I have played most of Ys IX on my PS5 and I crashed at least 10 times throughout my 33-hour playthrough of the game; one of them even shutting my PS5 off entirely".

Yes, I had about 10 crashes too during my 35 hours playthrough. Two of them were during cutscene that I had to skip so I could move on. The others occured randomly, mainly while flying around across Balduq. There is an autosave, but because of this I spend the latter half of the game saving manually more than I should have.

It was certainly annoying but on PS5 the framerate is wonderful even in Balduq (it's not as good on PS4 Pro but still decent) and the loading lightning fast (pretty good also on PS4 Pro).

Apparently NISA is aware, so a patch before the relase would be welcomed.

Oh for fucks sake. Hopefully I can cancel my amazon pre-order still.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
Hope the crashing fixes are fixed for PS5 owners.

Based on the demo they also really need to update the visual clarity such as the bad aliasing and less than sharp textures, even Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana looked cleaner & sharper. For people who played this is the full game like this as well?

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
As RPG Site reported, NISA are aware of the PS5 issues and are releasing a patch soon. We had to forego a review because I literally couldn't get past chapter 3 due to the crashes. I'd say I had a good 20+ and one of which restarted the console. After seeing the reviews, I launched the game again and crashed twice within 15 mins.

Now your experience might be different to mine, I've spoken to some which didn't have quite as many as me but the way it has been for me, I can't recommend the game on PS5 in its current state which is a shame because when I can play it, I love it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
As RPG Site reported, NISA are aware of the PS5 issues and are releasing a patch soon. We had to forego a review because I literally couldn't get past chapter 3 due to the crashes. I'd say I had a good 20+ and one of which restarted the console. After seeing the reviews, I launched the game again and crashed twice within 15 mins.

Damn. Definitely waiting for this patch then.

Sounds like a potential 'shouldn't be selling it on the PS5 storefront' situation if you're getting 20+ crashes and one restarted the whole console and can't progress. Or at least stick a warning on it.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Demo was a lot of fun from what I played, so it's cool seeing the good scores. Performance issues are unfortunate though. Might wait til the patch then use my GameStop gift card to get it or something.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
I'm hoping the patch hits before next weekend because this was supposed to be the big game I play over vacation.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
I fucking loved YS:8 so I can't wait for YS:9. Sucks it's a summer release for PC though but I can wait a bit longer.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
there is a good digital edition preorder deal on psn worth 60 dollars and its end on the 12th of Feb. Hopefully by then the patch becomes available.

Amirnol

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Ys8 and Oath, but the demo for this game was unbelievably bad. It looked like complete shit and the two dungeons they let you explore were absurdly bland. The reviews seem good though. Pretty conflicted.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking NISA.

Falcom went from the best of the best in Xseed to them just to get the games out a lil bit faster with a buggy rush job.

Yes, I'm still butthurt.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
I was looking for release dates, and is the PS4 the only one going to be out on Feb 2nd? I saw Q3 for both Switch and PC, bummer to wait if thats the case.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is Ys a series with fan service type elements or no? Just not my jam.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I loved Ys8 and Oath, but the demo for this game was unbelievably bad. It looked like complete shit and the two dungeons they let you explore were absurdly bland. The reviews seem good though. Pretty conflicted.

read my previous post, if you're already unconvinced by the demo i doubt you'll like the full game, better wait for a sale honestly...

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is Ys a series with fan service type elements or no? Just not my jam.

Not really? Like I guess some of the designs can look a bit dumb but I don't know that I've ever seen any character "being sexy" or flaunting anything or I guess I don't know what you're asking. No there's zero focus on sexy waifu I guess is my answer. The series is 90s anime action Zelda played very straight for the most part.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Not really? Like I guess some of the designs can look a bit dumb but I don't know that I've ever seen any character "being sexy" or flaunting anything or I guess I don't know what you're asking. No there's zero focus on sexy waifu I guess is my answer. The series is 90s anime action Zelda played very straight for the most part.
Ok, neat. Thank you. That's exactly what I was asking. Is this the game series with the bump combat? If so, does it get more complex/involved as it goes on? Forgive me if I'm thinking of the wrong series. And does this entry seem like a good jumping-on point?

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Ok, neat. Thank you. That's exactly what I was asking. Is this the game series with the bump combat? If so, does it get more complex/involved as it goes on? Forgive me if I'm thinking of the wrong series. And does this entry seem like a good jumping-on point?
Only the early 8/16-bit era games had the bump system combat, they're regular party-based (since 7) action RPGs now.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Yes it's the series with bump combat but that hasn't been a thing since 1993 (excluding Ys 1 & 2 remakes). Some would argue it's too complex now with all the character switching and whatnot involved.

Any Ys game is a good jumping on point! Maybe not Ys V. But that's a Japanese exclusive Super Famicom game so you're unlikely to run into it by accident.