• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metacritic (80)
OpenCritic (81)

Noisy Pixel (9.5/10, video):
Ys IX: Monstrum Nox is some of the most fun I have had within the action-JRPG genre, period. The adventure includes everything you could ask from the series, with the addition of an addicting gameloop, well-written character-driven narrative, a stellar soundtrack, and great controls. This is not a title to be slept on. Any fans of JRPGs worth their salt should give this adventure a shot, regardless if they have experience with the Ys series. Ys IX: Monstrum Nox is a masterpiece that only seems to stumble when balancing its level of difficulty.

Inverse (9/10):
Ys IX: Monstrum Nox is an epic tale with a vibrant world within its walls. With its tried and true gameplay, this latest entry nimbly balances familiarity with the rush of innovation. You'll develop true affection for the characters throughout this massive 40-50 hour game, partly because the side quests are so compelling. Despite some issues with performance, the strong points vastly outshine them. Adol always yearns for great adventures, and I can't wait to see where the wind takes him next.

Hey Poor Player (4.5/5):
Ys IX: Monstrum Nox is, let's just come out and say it, pretty weird. But the most important question to me, however, is whether it's any fun or not. And, despite all of the changes, I think that it is. Would I want this to be the formula for every Ys game from here on out? Heck no. But a literal antithesis to Ys VIII's Seiren Island—which is absolutely what this game is—is really charming in its own way, and the fact that Falcom was able to add so many novel features while still keeping this game Ys-like at its heart is genuinely impressive.

GamePitt (9/10):
Ys IX: Monstrum Nox is, by far, my favourite Ys adventure so far; Adol is a badass! Although the game started off a little slow for me, making me feel like the game was going to be a short and repetitive bunch of missions within a single city, I was happy when the game expanded and new mechanics and areas were opened up to me. The story had me hooked as soon as the narrative introduced a strange introduction early on, making me constantly try and guess what was happening – I simply couldn't stop playing until the game had explained itself to me! I have issues with the presentation and performance of the game but if I step back and ignore resolution and framerate, I had so much fun and quickly became addicted to the satisfying combat and interesting quests.

GameSkinny (9/10):
Ys IX is a departure in several ways from previous games, from the more concentrated setting to the deeper focus on character stories, and it pays off in all ways. A few narrative missteps and some awkward progression mechanics aside, it's an outstanding RPG and an impressive step forward for the Ys series.

Millenium (85/100, review in French):
Similarly to its predecessor, the only thing Ys is missing is a budget in line with current standards. Many might be repelled by the aged graphics and the crude direction, but those who manage to get past that will find the very best of old-school A-RPG. Thanks to explosive fights, very generous content and heroes whose powers give a good boost to the exploration, Ys is a must-have for fans of modest but lovingly made Japanese productions.

Gamersky (8.5/10, review in Chinese):
Ys IX adapts every positive aspect of its predecessor, and adds a new dimension of exploration. For those who love the series, it can offer joy and fun as usual. But as for the haters or newcomers, it is still lack of attraction.

PSX Brasil (85/100, review in Portuguese):
With a very fun and enjoyable story, even if its not without its issues, Ys IX: Monstrum Nox evolves the series' combat system to new heights, being another great title that lives up to the beautiful legacy of its name.

The Mako Reactor (8.5/10):
Overall, I've enjoyed my time with Ys IX: Monstrum Nox once again and it is definitely worth playing for fans of modern Ys games. Given the references it makes to earlier games and its overall lack of polish in some areas, I don't think it is the best Ys game to play as a newcomer. That remains Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana or Ys: The Oath in Felghana depending on whether you want to get into the games through a modern or older entry. The gameplay and traversal additions and improvements in Ys IX: Monstrum Nox are definitely the real draw here and they make it a ton of fun to play overall. I wish Falcom had spent a bit more optimising the game technically though. Ys IX: Monstrum Nox is one of Falcom's most ambitious games ever but that ambition needed a bit more time to be fully realised. Despite all my problems with Ys IX: Monstrum Nox, it is still an excellent action RPG and one that most Ys fans will adore.

Video Chums (8.4/10):
For all that Ys IX: Monstrum Nox does that's new, there's no denying that it's still a tried-and-true Ys game at its core. Although I wish it took more risks with its setting and gameplay, it's still a great action RPG that fans like me will love.

RPGFan (81/100):
Ys IX is a satisfying JRPG that builds on the exploration elements from other recent Ys games, but doesn't play to its strengths enough with pacing issues and empty spaces distracting from the action.

God is a Geek (8/10, video):
Ys IX: Monstrum Nox is a great RPG with fast paced combat and plenty to do in its dense world.

RPG Site (8/10):
Ys IX: Monstrum Nox is another excellent addition to the Ys series. Its darker tone and gloomier atmosphere help it to stand out from the rest of the series, but it somehow works in its favor. The character writing and narrative framing is a remarkable step-up from previous titles, yet still preserves the thrilling intense action that the Ys series is known for. Some of Monstrum Nox's sidequests stand among the best in the entire series. I have a few qualms with its repetitive structure, though what truly stings is the frequent crashes I experienced on the PS5. I loved my time with Adol's adventure throughout Balduq and look forward to his next big adventure.

Hardcore Gamer (4/5):
Ys IX: Monstrum Nox is a continuation of what fans have come to expect from the series and the Monstrum gifts add a new and fun gameplay mechanic. In some ways the Monstrum gifts make this the most fun Ys game to play even though there are other arguments against it being the best one.

WayTooManyGames (8/10):
Adol's awkward goth phase may have started on his 34th birthday, but thankfully, it ended up being the good kind of goth. The one that listens to Nightwish and reads 19th century literature, not the phoney one that hangs out at Hot Topic and thinks that Keanu Reeves' role in 1992's Dracula was competent.

SpazioGames (7.9/10, review in Italian):
Ys IX is probably a step back if directly compared to Lacrimosa of Dana, due to the uneven balance between action and story, but it's still a very solid JRPG, graced by a fast paced combat system.

IGN Italy (7.9/10, review in Italian):
While not innovating or distorting the original formula, Ys IX Monstrum Nox still proves to be an eventful and extremely rewarding action-JRPG.

Everyeye.it (7.8/10, review in Italian):
The night of the monsters may therefore not be the shocking event that we all expected, especially after the achievements of Lacrimosa of Dana, but a good story and the tested gameplay of the series, here embellished with a handful of new mechanics and above all by the Gifts of the Monster, which among other things greatly lighten the exploratory phases, still make it a delightful action RPG.

Finger Guns (7/10):
Ys IX Monstrum Nox may come from an established franchise, but it treads the line of least resistance, trying to be as safe as possible. While its painfully slow narrative ends strongly, combat remains its strongest asset. It takes no risks, ending up as an almost cookie-cutter version of the previous title in a different setting.

Eurogamer Italy (7/10, review in Italian):
Once again, Falcom proves its talent for making great games, with tight production times and limited budgets: a must-have for the devoted fans of the series and an accessible starting point for new players.

Siliconera (7/10):
Ys IX had a lot of potential to clean up everything Ys VIII did wrong with the series, but instead, the developers decided to double-down on those previous decisions. At least in Ys VIII, the hideout where Dogi hangs out and the tower defense elements to protect it make some sense. In Ys IX, the hideout feels forced, and the tower defense element for the Grimwald Nox feels incredibly out of place and forced.

At least the game still knows how to make fun of itself.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Really enjoyed my demo and I haven't thought about why much, but I enjoyed it far more than Ys VIII. I may purchase this down the line but the decreased budget is a bummer.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
For a minute I thought it had released on Switch. I was confused. Interesting just the PS4 ver. is releasing next week.

Oct 27, 2017
Hearing that the game crashes frequently on the PS5 (per RPG Site) is giving me a lot of pause. Crashes ruined my experience with Cyberpunk.

Last edited:

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
For a minute I thought it had released on Switch. I was confused. Interesting just the PS4 ver. is releasing next week.

NISA have to port the game themselves to PC and Switch since there isnt an existing one so releasing later is standard at this point, same happened with Ys 8. No point holding the PS4 release if the work is done.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
Any other reviews reporting the PS5 version crashing?

Likely gonna be playing on PS5 regardless since I want to play right away at 60fps, but hopefully it's not too common.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
The game runs 60 FPS on PS5, but seems like there are a decent amount of crashes

From RPG Site.com " I have played most of Ys IX on my PS5 and I crashed at least 10 times throughout my 33-hour playthrough of the game; one of them even shutting my PS5 off entirely".

Last edited:

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
Really looking forward to finally playing this! Although add me in with the others worried about frequent PS5 crashes. Hopefully it's not a widespread issue.

Chaz Ashley

Oct 25, 2017
About the crashes: I played the review-version (1.00) on PS5 and the crashes were very frequent, throughout the game it must have crashed about 40 to 50 times. It autosaves constantly and I could somehow move past all the points where it crashed, but if that persists in the retail game (or with the day one patch) it would be a real dealbreaker.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
The crashing issue makes me a little thankful I didn't get a PS5 in time to play this game. Hopefully it's resolved soon.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
I was already planning to get this. Reviews haven't changed my mind, but it's a shame about PS5 crashes. I hope they can fix the issues causing this.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
About the crashes: I played the review-version (1.00) on PS5 and the crashes were very frequent, throughout the game it must have crashed about 40 to 50 times. It autosaves constantly and I could somehow move past all the points where it crashed, but if that persists in the retail game (or with the day one patch) it would be a real dealbreaker.
Damn, that's worrisome. I wonder if this is also an issue with the Japanese version when played on a PS5 or if it's a bug introduced in the localized version.

Oct 27, 2017
Any other reviews reporting the PS5 version crashing?

Likely gonna be playing on PS5 regardless since I want to play right away at 60fps, but hopefully it's not too common.

Yes, I had about 10 crashes too during my 35 hours playthrough. Two of them were during cutscene that I had to skip so I could move on. The others occured randomly, mainly while flying around across Balduq. There is an autosave, but because of this I spend the latter half of the game saving manually more than I should have.

It was certainly annoying but on PS5 the framerate is wonderful even in Balduq (it's not as good on PS4 Pro but still decent) and the loading lightning fast (pretty good also on PS4 Pro).

Apparently NISA is aware, so a patch before the relase would be welcomed.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Yeah, one thing worth noting about the crashing issue - while I didn't do our review for the localization, I *did* review the JP version, and just recently did another playthrough for the platinum trophy on PS5:

The crashing issue is 100% a localization problem that should be fixed. I would caution playing it on PS5 until then, though.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017

It was apparently added in the localized version. Let's hope they fix this shit quickly.

Another NISA localized version with bugs not present in the original, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I was looking forward to playing this next week but I traded in my PS4 Pro before the PS5 launched so maybe I'll wait to see if they fix this quickly.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Another NISA localized version with bugs not present in the original, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I was looking forward to playing this next week but I traded in my PS4 Pro before the PS5 launched so maybe I'll wait to see if they fix this quickly.

Hey, I just want to clarify something here;

When bugs like this get added in localization? That's not the localization company's fault, that's the original JP dev, who are in charge of implementing the localization. NISA might be to blame for not catching the bug themselves, but considering the low stock of PS5 consoles - and the fact that Sony just didn't get them review code until a little more than a week before embargo lifted - I'm more inclined to blame Sony here. If NISA doesn't have a devkit, they can't check for bugs with PS5 BC until they get retail code from Sony.

It's a bad situation, it shouldn't have been this way, but it's more complicated than folks like to make it out to be.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Hey, I just want to clarify something here;

When bugs like this get added in localization? That's not the localization company's fault, that's the original JP dev, who are in charge of implementing the localization. NISA might be to blame for not catching the bug themselves, but considering the low stock of PS5 consoles - and the fact that Sony just didn't get them review code until a little more than a week before embargo lifted - I'm more inclined to blame Sony here. If NISA doesn't have a devkit, they can't check for bugs with PS5 BC until they get retail code from Sony.

It's a bad situation, it shouldn't have been this way, but it's more complicated than folks like to make it out to be.
Yeah I know they're not completely at fault, just that it's something that has happened multiple times over the years with them and is annoying.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
I hope the crashes got patched out by release, and that NISA gets better PS5 tech support ASAP if that means being able to handle backwards compatibility hitches like these.

The game looks really good, no surprise given its import reception. I'll be waiting for the PC version, though, since that's going to have nice support from PH3 judging by their work fixing up Ys VIII on PC.

Lucentto

Oct 25, 2017
NISA notoriously has an awful QA process. Not the first time issues like this has popped up with their name on it. Will wait for the PC version because after playing the demo, game does not look good resolution wise on PS5 unless something has changed.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Thanks for posting RPGFan's!

Also gonna prop up the quickie review card ♫
I'm pretty happy we've been good about getting specific series fans to review the upcoming games lately. Honestly still sounds like my cup of tea even for the faults I've read (I just want a big fun action game)

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
was thinking about playing it on ps5 after i wrap up hitman iii or assassin's creed iv (yes, iv), but i might hang on for a ps5 patch or the switch version. super mario bros. 3d world is coming out soon anyway so ys ix would likely be a march game for me anyway at the earliest. looking forward to it though. memories of celcetta was fun and ys viii was surprisingly emotional at the end.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyway, 80 metascore would be well deserved for this little gem. After Ys 8 release, it became easily my favorite Ys and this new chapter is really made of the same caliber. The sense of adventure is not as good, but those Monstrum powers have been integrated in the gameplay, level design (and even combat sometimes) better than I imagined. When you see the things you can do in this game in terms of traversal while you could not even jump in Ys Seven, ah.

DeadMoonKing

Nov 6, 2017
"It ended up being the good kind of goth. The one that listens to Nightwish..."

*cries in Clan of Xymox and Fields of the Nephilim*

Ahem.

Really glad to see that the localization has been improved upon and hope there is a patch soon!

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
The crashing issues sounds worrying. I ain't busting out my PS4 again. Other than that I'm excited.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Well shit, I sold my PS4 Pro so hopefully we get a day one patch that fixes the crashing issues on PS5. Pre-ordered the digital deluxe and I was very excited to play it on release but now I don't know if i'm going to touch it until the crashing issue is fixed. :(

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Been really looking forward to this. The setting and characters look so much more interesting than Ys VIII, but thats just me. Going to try and hold off for the Switch version, but I can totally see myself just picking up the PS4 version since theres not much else coming out till later on this month.

Is the girl with the hood and the pistols unlockable as a playable character by any chance?

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Been really looking forward to this. The setting and characters look so much more interesting than Ys VIII, but thats just me. Going to try and hold off for the Switch version, but I can totally see myself just picking up the PS4 version since theres not much else coming out till later on this month.

Is the girl with the hood and the pistols unlockable as a playable character by any chance?

Unfortunately, Aprilis isn't playable at any point :(

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Super excited about this but I think I may be waiting for the PC version hopefully soon. Ys is the greatest, these powers in combat look amazing as always!

MikeSan

Oct 27, 2017
Liège, Belgium
I pre-ordered the game 2 days ago and only have a PS5 to play it. The game launches on February 5th in Europe, let's hope they fixed the crashes before that.

Chaz Ashley

Oct 25, 2017
While we're on the subject, the music's pretty solid again and I really liked following track:

My favorite overall is still "Sunshine Coastline" from Ys 8, which was the perfect exploration-theme.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Surprised it scored so high after the demo, but that's good I guess. With that many crashes getting it at launch seems crazy tho

Jockel

Oct 27, 2017
Berlin
I'm one of the weird people that liked Ys VIII, and the demo for IX didn't really do it for me. Seemed pretty slow to play and the image quality wasn't that good. Did I maybe play it wrong or something? I really want to like this.

Chaz Ashley

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised it scored so high after the demo, but that's good I guess. With that many crashes getting it at launch seems crazy tho

It was a pretty bad demo to be honest, throwing you in unprepared into some of the visually more unspectacular dungeons for 10 minutes doesn't really represent how the game plays once you're accustomed to the controls, especially if you haven't got the hang yet how to use the lockon-feature.