• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
if you want to compare ys game to an another game, make a fair one
like this

LostSoulAside-2-1024x579.jpg

a one man game.
A game that's been in the works longer than Ys IX and still not out, we don't even know the scope of how large it will be either. Graphics aren't everything to me as long as gameplay is top notch (which Falcom games usually are) but I get that to appeal to a larger audience they do need more work in that field. The main issue is Falcom need to put out a game every year, I wouldn't mind if they took a year or two off to work longer on games but according to some it would put a dent on their revenue.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Something super weird with scale going on here, all of the NPCs and the main character look tiny compared to the rest of the world. Seems like all of the characters need to be scaled up by ~50% or something? Really odd, but the movement looks fast and fluid.

I imagine it's to show off the scale and movement.

But I think they're not gonna make it more grounded than like trails, so you'll still feel small between imposing Romun architecture.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Adol having a fucking devil bringer that works like a a super grappling hook - and based off what is implied, every playable character to have some form of fast-paced verticality in their traversal and combat toolkit will be really interesting to see given. The franchise has never really managed to regain back the bullet hell dynamics of the older combat system but this could be an interesting aspect in the 3D layout.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'm over here like, this looks great? That verticality is interesting for a series like Ys.

It's a low budget franchise, what do you want?

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
First two videos look like some kinda budget Breath of the Wild.

That forest looks like the same forest from the past couple games.

Not the greatest showcase of the game, but it should still have fun combat.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ooh the flying blondie with the dark wings should be fun. I love a nice glide.

This game seems to be coming along so fast. I still need to play VIII. I set it down after hearing about the translation issues and never got around to picking it back up.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
I'm hyped because I love the gameplay in these games. But the graphics looks like vita-quality. I dunno why I expected more seeing as they specifically said it would launch for the ps4 I just assumed it would be a bit more graphical.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I'm hyped because I love the gameplay in these games. But the graphics looks like vita-quality. I dunno why I expected more seeing as they specifically said it would launch for the ps4 I just assumed it would be a bit more graphical.
I don't know why anyone should expect more from Falcom of all people.

Hell, expect their PS5 games to look like PS3 games at best.

SantosStrife

Oct 27, 2017
There's more news on Gematsu:

https://gematsu.com/2019/03/ys-ix-first-gameplay-new-details

One interesting point:

* 40 to 50 percent of the map is the city.
The prison is a major symbol, and surrounding it is a vast city.

I think there's a day cycle in the game and at night the city will be full of monsters.

Really interesting concepts for this game, looking forward. Specially the mobility options.

And wth? why people are shitting on Falcom?

They're a small company, their games are fun and always have great or at least solid gameplay. They're not know for the graphics, but they normally improve each game. Not all games have to be technical showcases.

You may not like the art direction, but no need to be that extreme.

Last edited:

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
if you want to compare ys game to an another game, make a fair one
like this

LostSoulAside-2-1024x579.jpg

a one man game.

You're missing the point. The ps2 graphics comparisons are shite, because their perception of what a ps2 game looks like is all whack.

Yes, Falcom games are not graphical powerhouses. Part of that is the budget and time constraints. That's not an excuse, but rather tough decisions they have to make. Sometimes the hardware also limited their potential. Cold Steel on the vita and Cold Steel on PC look and feel worlds apart.

You could compare it to any game you want and that's fair, but that doesn't make it useful or relevant.

I'd say the natural way would be to compare it to past Ys games and past Falcom games first. Then their competitors in the same genre. While keeping in mind that different games are aiming for different goals.

One thing that keeps happening here, is that every reveal is met with some sort of disgust. Then people wonder why game companies don't want to show off things early on.

It's like in development is a foreign concept. On a game enthusiast forum.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I have faith in Falcom I don't think they're going to design a big world and it's going to be mostly empty. Ys VIII sure wasn't. It might be a lot of monster battling but I think there'll always be something to do and those videos they were likely showcasing the traversal methods the game will feature.

Judging by their own comments it seems like the city will be full of monsters so I'm guessing that's where a lot of that empty space is going to be used.

Oct 31, 2017
This was obviously just a demonstration to showcase the movements and whatnot. Looks like traversal will be fun, though yeah I'm not exactly a fan of huge, empty environments. We'll see when the time comes.

Also, I'm probably the minority in this but I legitimately love the visuals of Cold Steel III and IV. I think Falcom did a great job with improving their visuals there.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
You're missing the point. The ps2 graphics comparisons are shite, because their perception of what a ps2 game looks like is all whack.

Yes, Falcom games are not graphical powerhouses. Part of that is the budget and time constraints. That's not an excuse, but rather tough decisions they have to make. Sometimes the hardware also limited their potential. Cold Steel on the vita and Cold Steel on PC look and feel worlds apart.

You could compare it to any game you want and that's fair, but that doesn't make it useful or relevant.

I'd say the natural way would be to compare it to past Ys games and past Falcom games first. Then their competitors in the same genre. While keeping in mind that different games are aiming for different goals.

One thing that keeps happening here, is that every reveal is met with some sort of disgust. Then people wonder why game companies don't want to show off things early on.

It's like in development is a foreign concept. On a game enthusiast forum.
my point of comparison is for the number of the people who are working on the game, you can't compare a big company like capcom that making a big game like RE4 for a small company like falcom who have very small team that working on this game.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I'm probably the minority in this but I legitimately love the visuals of Cold Steel III and IV. I think Falcom did a great job with improving their visuals there.
Yeah, I quite agree, some of the environnments I've seen don't look good but the character models are pretty nice looking. My main issue with Falcom games on a technical level is their animations, they're really stiff and robotic.

Anyway, I'm sure the game will be great in the end, Ys VIII was fantastic.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Excited for it - I doubt the video shows how the actual game will be in the end but just a demonstration how the player can traverse in the world.

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, I quite agree, some of the environnments I've seen don't look good but the character models are pretty nice looking. My main issue with Falcom games on a technical level is their animations, they're really stiff and robotic.

Anyway, I'm sure the game will be great in the end, Ys VIII was fantastic.

I'd just be happy if their games started having multiple anime cutscenes....

that aren't ugly af

ezgif-2-b6f0b426d2.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Could not care less about the graphics in a game like this. Tell me more about the movement, animations and input responsiveness. These clips look great and snappy thus far.

moomoo14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks great, I'm in. Ys VII was great, Celceta was great, and Ys VIII was absolutely fantastic and this looks like a fully-expanded upon version of that. I don't care that it's clearly built on a budget; Falcom is a really good developer.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think questioning whether it makes sense for Falcom to keep using their in-house (I assume) engine, which surely needs continuous updates to support the increasing scale of each game, makes some sense, but I get that it'd be hard for them to transition to something else and can understand if they think taking the extra time would put the company at risk.

But beyond that? "Looks like a PS2 game" and "bad art direction" are not complaints I would level against their games. I didn't know they had a staff of 50 until this thread, and I'm gobsmacked that a game as big and polished as Ys VIII could come out of a subset of that in a timespan of like two years.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
I think it looks really good so far and it got me more excited for the game. Also reminded me that I gotta finish VIII.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Those traversal options are really rad.

Looks like Adol's been playing a lot of Sekiro...

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I just spit out my coffee. Your nail in the coffin is test development footage of a game far from release date.

This has ALWAYS been a thing when people looking at Alpha or pre-Beta footage from a game with the expectations that its somewhere close to final or near release state.

There are so many folks ignore the fact optimizations and polishing stages are usually the last things done in development and that people continuously come to this erroneous conclusion over and over seems a bit strange, especially so on an enthusiast forum.

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
Okay this looks incredible, most recent Ys I played was the one they released on Steam that was also on the Vita. This actually looks like an upgrade over the last Ys they came out with. Very fun.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Just because old games look better in our heads, i'm going to remind people that this is what a vita game looks like.

9313181777_af3b21af16_b.jpg

vic viper

Dec 27, 2017
The game looks... not great. However I'm confident Falcom will deliver gameplay in spades as usual.

Oct 31, 2017
That's what i'm saying, the small screen is hiding how bad handheld games look. Ys IX does not look like that.

I don't think the small screen is hiding how bad those games look, devs just made the best out of those handhelds... And some Vita games like Muramasa or Freedom Wars look great on TV.

But yeah, Ys IX is closer to a PS2 game in HD :D

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
That digimon pick definitely is not a Vita screen, there's no jaggies and its obviously high res, its probably the PS4 version, and Muramasa is a 2D game.

You should be expecting it to look like the PS4 version of Ys 8, which obviously isn't comparable to a AAA PS4 game, but it also didn't stop the game from getting an 85 opencritic score. Which is the overall point i'm trying to make.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the added taversal options don't go against the classic design of Ys too much. If you can just wall run up everything and fly over stuff that could potentially mean less interesting exploration.