• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Digital Deluxe Edition is 20% off with PS+

Where are you from? It's 74.99€ here :(

I'm not subbed to PS+ currently though, but even on psprices it shows up at 74.99€ with PS+

Edit: Welp looks like the discount is only for PS+ subscribers in the US... lame.

Last edited:

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like Ys 8 with extra mobility options which is right up my ally since I loved Ys 8. Day one.

Oct 29, 2017
So the game is up for preorder on the playstation store, but only the more expensive digital deluxe version, which seems to have costumes and items. Meh. And the store page says 2/12/21, despite the end of the demo saying 2/2/21 ?

Mine says two dates (US): Release of 2/1/2021 (I'm assuming 10pm my time zone), with the pre-order offer ending 2/11/2021 at 10pm so the discount will still be active for about a week after launch.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Feels pretty good but after you kill an enemy it targets the closest next enemy even if you cleared a room and the next enemy is far away. Then there are like 10 arrows pointing to a bunch of other enemies that are far away. It just feels like a bit much at first but I might be able to get used to it.

Jan 6, 2019
Mine says two dates (US): Release of 2/1/2021 (I'm assuming 10pm my time zone), with the pre-order offer ending 2/11/2021 at 10pm so the discount will still be active for about a week after launch.
Weird, now the date is correct, but when I preordered it had a countdown of 38 days.....I think they originally had the release date mistakenly set as the discount end date.

Oct 27, 2017
Something about this game just feels good to me. I generally enjoyed Ys VIII, but it continued the trend of moving further away from what I really loved about Ys in the first place.

Battles in this one just bring me back for some reason—it just feels more... Ys-y to me I guess. Definitely hyped.

I had already bought the Korea version and played it a bit, but sold it as soon as the English version was announced.
I was going to wait for Switch, but I will definitely pick it up for PS4/5 as well.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
That sucks.

Every demo should have the save carry over to the full game.

It's kind of ridiculous this isn't the case. It takes a lot of effort on the devs part to make a demo, why wouldn't it be a top priority for them to make the save carry over?
You're doing the thing! The thing where someone isn't giving you what you want so you assert that it should be easy and ask why they aren't.

It's kind of like a stage of grief mixed with a tantrum. Lots of people do this, I see it everywhere.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
You're doing the thing! The thing where someone isn't giving you what you want so you assert that it should be easy and ask why they aren't.

It's kind of like a stage of grief mixed with a tantrum. Lots of people do this, I see it everywhere.

I am saying that it isn't easy to make a demo, you need to invest a lot of time and resources into creating what is essentially a new product.

I just don't understand why developers would take the time and effort to do this but not make an extremely appealing and easy way to transition from the demo into paying them money to continue in the full game.

I think that is a legitimate point to make, isn't it? Or are we not supposed to criticize or discuss any decisions made by developers on a discussion board about video games?

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
Or are we not supposed to criticize or discuss any decisions made by developers on a discussion board about video games?
Whoah now. Don't get carried away.
Now you're doing the thing where you're accusing me of suppressing your opinion or whatever.

I'm just saying, have you asked yourself why they made a demo that doesn't carry over?
Haveyou considered any potential negatives, like data leaks that expose spoilers?
Or maybe they don't think the start of the game is substantial for a demo, and would rather use later-game combat and gameplay to advertise the game?

Just saying, try thinking about it instead of wildly bemoaning this slight, slight inconvenience.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This seems to not support higher resolutions. Ys VIII did though? Or maybe it's because it's the demo. IIRC, Ys VIII demo was also 1080p but retail had Pro Support.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't even know what there would be to carry over from this demo. It's not like it starts you at the beginning of the game, it just drops you into two dungeons for 10 minutes a piece to get a taste of the action. Is the argument that the demo should have started at the beginning of the game and let you carry over? What if the first part of the game is a bunch of talking and story setup? I think I'm missing something. What would anyone possibly want carried over from playing 10 minutes of a random dungeon?

Brando

Oct 25, 2017
Love these games but man are the controls awful. Glad everything is able to be remapped but you'd think after 8 they would figure out a better default.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
It's a damn shame, because Ys VIII actually looked hella impressive for the Vita. Falcom just have struggled jumping up to home console development, it feels like.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
This seems to not support higher resolutions. Ys VIII did though? Or maybe it's because it's the demo. IIRC, Ys VIII demo was also 1080p but retail had Pro Support.
Well, Ys VIII is a Vita game ported to PS4. Ys IX is a native PS4 game that can't maintain a solid 60FPS on Pro even so they probably didn't want to push higher resolutions than 1080p.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Just feels like more VIII and I've had more than my fill of that brand of Ys.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
It's a damn shame, because Ys VIII actually looked hella impressive for the Vita. Falcom just have struggled jumping up to home console development, it feels like.
But does Ys IX has the same problem with area transitions as VIII? I mean, when you play it on a home console/PC the most glaring Vita "legacy" is that even small areas have lots of loading transitions, which makes the exploration feel less rewarding.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ys IX just doesn't support higher resolutions, period. Still was very, very fuzzy when I did my replay on my PS5 on my 4k setup.
Fair enough. I'm sure it'll still be a fun romp. Maybe pick up the PC version later on down the road.

Well, Ys VIII is a Vita game ported to PS4. Ys IX is a native PS4 game that can't maintain a solid 60FPS on Pro even so they probably didn't want to push higher resolutions than 1080p.
Eh, I get it, but VIII was also greatly enhanced for PS4. It's not a technical marvel by any stretch (so it should be able to do both). It's fine, less than ideal, but fine.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
That's more Ys alright, the new combat and movement stuff seems fun.
I'm gonna have to boot up Ys VIII just to remember what my keybinds were though, the defaults in IX are awful as usual.

Wish they had picked some different areas for the demo. I don't expect technical masterpiece graphics from Falcom but the art direction in these two areas is super uninteresting.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
I am saying that it isn't easy to make a demo, you need to invest a lot of time and resources into creating what is essentially a new product.

I just don't understand why developers would take the time and effort to do this but not make an extremely appealing and easy way to transition from the demo into paying them money to continue in the full game.

I think that is a legitimate point to make, isn't it? Or are we not supposed to criticize or discuss any decisions made by developers on a discussion board about video games?
I like demo to full game too. But I'm not sure it works here, especially with an Ys game.

I think Falcom want to show dungeon action and cool fast combat with a bunch of skills and movement options already unlocked.

I've got the full JP version and actually played half an hour of a new game on it after playing this new demo. You get a very brief tutorial dungeon section and quite a lot of story. You really don't get to unlock any combat skills or traversal skills. I can see why they did it this way. The parts in the demonstration are many, many hours into the game.

Last edited:

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
Just feels like more VIII and I've had more than my fill of that brand of Ys.

I haven't had a chance to try the demo but this was my concern. As someone who loved Oath in Felghana but detested Ys VIII (for both story and gameplay reasons), is there any chance I'll like this?

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Where are you from? It's 74.99€ here :(

I'm not subbed to PS+ currently though, but even on psprices it shows up at 74.99€ with PS+

Edit: Welp looks like the discount is only for PS+ subscribers in the US... lame.

Ah, that sucks, sorry! I thought that the discount would be for all areas. Honestly, I'm surprised it isn't.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
seeing PS4 demos work on PS5 sure is a good sight to see

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a YS game
I only played the dungeon level so im sure how much the extra mobility stuff really works in comabt or if it does anything at all.
But yeah just feels like YS8 with a couple of extra bells and whistles.

GrappleMania

Oct 25, 2017
I really hate the 10 minute time limit decision made for this demo. I've had multiple higher difficulty runs end mid boss fight and it just felt like the way to finish it was to simply blitz through the level ignoring everything but the bosses which isn't how I like to play.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

In a world where 2D games can sell a million copies, not sure why so many small japanese devs keeps pushing for these terribad 3D circa-PS3 graphics.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Feels pretty good but after you kill an enemy it targets the closest next enemy even if you cleared a room and the next enemy is far away. Then there are like 10 arrows pointing to a bunch of other enemies that are far away. It just feels like a bit much at first but I might be able to get used to it.
You can turn the auto-target off in the menu, iirc.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It looks very bad on PS5. The resolution/aliasing is very bad on my 4K TV. I can almost not make out any detail in the characters. No PS5 version expected? Will grab on Steam.

Gameplay / music / UI is good though.

(Other than the inverted vertical camera as default.)

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It looks very bad on PS5. The resolution/aliasing is very bad on my 4K TV. I can almost not make out any detail in the characters. No PS5 version expected? Will grab on Steam.

Gameplay / music / UI is good though.

If the pc update of Ys8 is anything to go by it should be the version people aim for if they can.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
So is the only thing we know about the PC release date this year? I ordered a PC just today so I'm thinking I'll get it there instead of PS4.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
I actually felt it looks decent for a Falcom game. I don't think the demo fully does it justice, played a bit and it has the typical action rpg combat. Will leave the demo there and play the full game when it's released.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I actually felt it looks decent for a Falcom game. I don't think the demo fully does it justice, played a bit and it has the typical action rpg combat. Will leave the demo there and play the full game when it's released.

Art direction is fine, but it's so jaggy/low resolution and the texture quality is poor.

Already played through the JP version and it's a lot of fun!
I prefer VIII overall, but IX is still really good.

What difficulty did you play it on? The difficulty options in this game are a bit overwhelming to choose from.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Lunatic is hilarious, they didn't even bother to update the damage values they just make everything hit twice.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Interested to try but it is kinda timewasting for me. This game doesnt have english version for asia release for some reason

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I found it fairly easy on Hard, but over the top difficult on the next one (Inferno, I guess?). Also, the 10min limit for the demo is ridiculous, just... give us a single full area with a boss or two and let us play at our own pace? lol. I just ended up blitzing through the level to get to the bosses, which is silly.

Wondering if I should get it for PS5 or PC. Is the PC version coming out at the same time?

OMG yeah. This drove me nuts at first. I thought I was accidentally locking on to something on a lower floor or something, and was wondering why I couldn't pan the camera up... and they have the nerve to mark this as the default too! Criminal.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't like VIII, still I thought I'd give this a try but nah, it's not for me. They've seemingly done nothing to address any of the main issues I had with VIII (combat being too flash guard/dodge heavy, insane skill/gear/loot/etc. bloat, tons of unnecessary and superfluous systems and features) and, going by impressions online, the pacing is worse and there's even more story for some godforsaken reason. Also, that art. Whew. Awful.

Would love to see them go back to solo Adol style again at some point. It's nuts how unfun I'm finding these modern Ys games after Oath and Origin.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I found it fairly easy on Hard, but over the top difficult on the next one (Inferno, I guess?). Also, the 10min limit for the demo is ridiculous, just... give us a single full area with a boss or two and let us play at our own pace? lol. I just ended up blitzing through the level to get to the bosses, which is silly.

Wondering if I should get it for PS5 or PC. Is the PC version coming out at the same time?

OMG yeah. This drove me nuts at first. I thought I was accidentally locking on to something on a lower floor or something, and was wondering why I couldn't pan the camera up... and they have the nerve to mark this as the default too! Criminal.
Nightmare is very manageable. Beat it on that on jp release. Some fights took a bunch of deaths to figure out but most of the time it's figuring out a gimmick or it's because you get too greedy that you'll die.

Inferno is harder as it has item use restrictions.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Oh, the Digital Deluxe is 20% off with PS+ in EU aswell now, so I pre-ordered that.

I played more of the demo to familiarize myself with the gameplay.

Changed some controls to make it feel better (Circle to jump, X to attack, triangle to swap characters and R3 to lock on)

Played on nightmare and it's a ton of fun to play once you're used to it, it's so satisfying to spam perfect dodges / guards.

Can't wait! I'll go with either nightmare or inferno, not sure. Does anyone know if we can change the difficulty in-game? Also are there any trophies related to the difficulty? I might want to platinum the game.