• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

InternHertz

Oct 25, 2017
Brussels, Belgium
I played and platinumed Ys 9 with the Japanese release. I enjoyed it immensely.
Though I can't tell you if Ys 8 is better or not...I remember playing the demo of 8 and not liking it, but I'd like to get 8 and try again.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Was able to get it downloading on PS5 after redeeming on the website. The PS4 version has performance issues so curious to see how its smoothed out on BC.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How does this game run in PS5? I know that in the PS4 doesn't run that well

OP
OP
Saphirax

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
The demo has two stages:

Cloaca Maxima (Crimson King, Doll, Raging Bull)

Dry Moat Ruins (Crimson King, Hawk, Raging Bull)

Seems like there's a 10 minute time limit.

Dlanor A. Knox

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Apr 6, 2018
oh hell yeah, Ys 8 is probably my favorite ARPG this gen gameplay wise, will try this out right now.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just tested the demo on PS5. I'm surprised, I thought the game was supposed to be capped at 30fps? It runs at 60fps.

It's a day 1 purchase from me. One month to go.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Might seem like a weirdly specific question, but I found the most annoying part of Ys VIII was "Stand still to heal" mechanic. Later in the game when even the regular battles were tough you might use half your health on a fight, and since there were no healing spells you have to either spend a valuable healing item, or stand still. Well, the rate of recovery never actually gets any faster from the start of the game. So while at the start you have to stand there for 5-10 seconds to get all your health back, later in the game you're just standing still doing nothing for 45 seconds waiting.

It's such a poorly thought out mechanic. The game should just refill your health instantly after every battle instead of asking you to waste your time doing nothing. Is this any different in Ys IX?

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Thanks for the heads up, might have to give this a shot.

By the way folks if you're interested in this one I'd say go ahead and buy it. I swear Ys VIII was full price on PSN for like the first 2/3 years. I remember being pissed about that.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I don't have a "add to library" button? Can this be grabbed from the PS5 directly?

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Nice, will check it out to see if the performance is fine enough for me to play on PS4 Pro. Otherwise I'll wait until I finally get a PS5.

Laur

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like its running at 1080p on my PS5?

Doesn't seem like there are any graphics options in settings... Ys 8 was 1800p on the pro IIRC.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll try the demo, I enjoyed Ys 8 but the game was too long. Is Monstrum Nox shorter?

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Tested the import on PS5 recently to see how it plays. It's definitely a huge improvement over PS4 pro, especially in town.

Game is good, but nowhere as good as VIII. Missed a lot of on the exploration fun.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017

Doesn't seem like there are any graphics options in settings... Ys 8 was 1800p on the pro IIRC.
Ys 8 was originally a Vita game, which is why it was easier to increase the resolution and framerate for the PS4 version. Ys 9 is PS4 only and is 1080p native I think.

Dlanor A. Knox

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Apr 6, 2018
Too bad it's limited in time (even though you can replay the demo)

The default control scheme takes some time to get used to, gameplay's pretty fun once it clicks, level design seems like it's been improved from Ys 8, lots of different turns and verticality in dungeons alone. City might be fun to explore.

Runs at a locked 60fps on PS5, day 1 buy.

Dlanor A. Knox

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Apr 6, 2018

Yup, it's running at 1080p 60, the Pro ran the game at 1080p aswell but the framerate was all over the place, between 35 and 60fps.

Check out this fantastic thread if you're curious about performance when running backwards compatible games on the PS5: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps5-backwards-compatibility-all-ps4-games-with-benefits.322747/

Just CTRL + F type the name of the game and you'll get the specifics.

Capndrake

Oct 28, 2017
Might seem like a weirdly specific question, but I found the most annoying part of Ys VIII was "Stand still to heal" mechanic. Later in the game when even the regular battles were tough you might use half your health on a fight, and since there were no healing spells you have to either spend a valuable healing item, or stand still. Well, the rate of recovery never actually gets any faster from the start of the game. So while at the start you have to stand there for 5-10 seconds to get all your health back, later in the game you're just standing still doing nothing for 45 seconds waiting.

It's such a poorly thought out mechanic. The game should just refill your health instantly after every battle instead of asking you to waste your time doing nothing. Is this any different in Ys IX?
This has been a thing in every game in the series from the very beginning so it's not gonna change here.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017

As Capndrake said this has been a part of the Ys series since day 1 so I highly doubt its going anywhere any time soon. Though if I remember correctly there was an artifact in VIII that would speed things up a bit.