• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I'm guessing the 2021 release date is tied to waiting for the Switch to be ready so they have a simultaneous release... kind of a bummer.

Oct 28, 2019
YsIX_NSW_ESRB_Glamshot.png

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I'm in. I'd like to get the Switch port but I'm concerned that it'll run poorly since Ys VIII wasn't what I would call an impressive port from a technical standpoint (couldn't maintain 30 FPS and had general technical issues, mainly game freezes). Might just get the PS4 version to play on PS5.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I'll get this on my Switch or PS5 around that time, since it's not coming to Xbox.

I don't get why it's not. It did get Origins after all.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The playable cast is literally 50% male 50% female

You'll have to forgive me, because that key art makes it look like Adol and a bunch of girls, and then the main villain (blonde guy). If blonde guy is playable, there's like a 95% chance he's going to turn traitor on the party before the end of the game based entirely on how he's drawn in every single piece of promotional art in this thread.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Wait, what? "Short Novel"?!

You'll have to forgive me, because that key art makes it look like Adol and a bunch of girls, and then the main villain (blonde guy). If blonde guy is playable, there's like a 95% chance he's going to turn traitor on the party before the end of the game based entirely on how he's drawn in every single piece of promotional art in this thread.
Lol grats if you correctly call it but what a weird thing to be preemptively annoyed by such a specific plot prediction.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Day 1 as any new Ys game, I wonder why NISA didn't push the game for 2020 but I hope this means the game release is far better than Ys VIII was.

With that said, if Ys IX is released in the first half of 2021 I can see NISA releasing Hajimari on October-November, they have a team working in Kiseki games and it seems efficient to continue working in the series now that they are familiar with the lore etc...

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, so this must be the one where Adol discovers anime. Can't wait!

Not enough Dogi in that art though.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm in. I'd like to get the Switch port but I'm concerned that it'll run poorly since Ys VIII wasn't what I would call an impressive port from a technical standpoint (couldn't maintain 30 FPS and had general technical issues, mainly game freezes). Might just get the PS4 version to play on PS5.
PS4 pro Ys IX wasn't even able to keep 30 FPS locked. I don't know how Switch port can happen really.

Do we know what will happen with the Switch version?

I played through it on Switch, but it got blurry at times and the areas that were added in the PS4 version had framedrops.
It was still very playable though and I loved the game.
I hope Ys IX will be better.

Unless the localization team completely fixes the game, I doubt it. Ys VIII was 60fps on PS4, this is 30fps on PS4/PS4 pro. And running poorly at it.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I did it in japanese and it was a huge disappointement IMO, everything is worse than VIII... aside the music that are still great

At least the performances will be great on PC with durante... the framerate was shit on Ps4...

I'll maybe pick it during a sale on pc

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Lol grats if you correctly call it but what a weird thing to be preemptively annoyed by such a specific plot prediction.

We'll see what happens. I was just generally pretty annoyed by Lacrimosa feeling like "Adol and a bunch of generic anime girls wander around an island while several far cooler and more interesting characters just hang out in town for the whole game doing nothing", so I was hoping that the next game in the series would be a little better than that.

I know that people don't really come to Ys games for deep characters or complex storytelling, so maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place. I dunno.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm really glad that it's finally been officially announced but I'm real salty that we're getting Cold Steel 4 this year instead of Ys IX.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Nisa understood and made games multi.

F*** toxic exclusives. They fuel the ridiculous brand fanboys wars.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
PS4 pro Ys IX wasn't even able to keep 30 FPS locked. I don't know how Switch port can happen really.

Unless the localization team completely fixes the game, I doubt it. Ys VIII was 60fps on PS4, this is 30fps on PS4/PS4 pro. And running poorly at it.
The Switch versio is already announced so I guess they will find a way.
That's why asked who is handling it.
If the PC Version is handled by Durante, maybe some of his magic will spill over to the Switch version.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch versio is already announced so I guess they will find a way.
That's why asked who is handling it.
If the PC Version is handled by Durante, maybe some of his magic will spill over to the Switch version.

I suspect it will be Engine Software like Trails, Ys 8 was done internally at Nippon Ichi.