• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Just started playing 1 & 2 Chronicles after only having played VIII and Celceta. I actually think they're really neat so far despite the doofy jousting gameplay. Absolutely picking up Origin on Switch and IX on PS4. Then the rest at some point lol, I wish they'd get ported to modern consoles as well.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone perhaps tell me or refer me to a post in this thread of the "essential" Ys games to play and the best way to play them today? I want to get into this series but all the different ports and remakes of the games is kind of confusing. Thanks in advance!

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone perhaps tell me or refer me to a post in this thread of the "essential" Ys games to play and the best way to play them today? I want to get into this series but all the different ports and remakes of the games is kind of confusing. Thanks in advance!
If PC is an option, play the PC versions of everything that's available on Steam (or GOG/Humble). For some of the games there are roughly equivalent PS4 versions, but for the sake of simplicity PC has the best of everything.

Essential is kind of in the eye of the beholder. The only Ys games I would consider truly essential are Oath in Felghana and Origin. But plenty of people would make that argument for other games too.

I'd say:
Play Oath in Felghana (a remake of 3). It's a more well-rounded game than Origin and probably the "more essential" option (though my preference is Origin). If you like how it plays, definitely give Origin a go, and if you still want more after that play Ark of Napishtim. Napishtim is pretty similar to Felghana, but less polished and more janky since it was the first game in that style.

And play Ys VIII. It's one of the most well regarded games in the series (didn't really click with me though). And if you like that style of Ys, Seven, Celceta (a remake of 4), and the upcoming IX are also in that style.

That just leaves I & II. These are the only games where order matters - they are basically part 1 and part 2 of a single game. At their core the Chronicles version of the games is very similar to the originals, just with modern visuals and sound. If you can get into them they are a lot of fun (Ys II is my third favorite in the series after Felghana and Origin) but they aren't for everyone. Depends a lot on your tolerance for retro games. But for games whose contemporaries are things like Final Fantasy 1, they hold up remarkably well.

If you play all these and love the series, and want more, the original version of Ys III is a pretty different game than Oath in Felghana. Dawn of Ys, one of the two original versions of Ys 4, is really well regarded and in the style of I & II. Some of the old versions of I & II are also still very well regarded and preferred by some over the current versions. Ys V is still exclusive to the SFC, and it's generally considered a pretty mediocre game and a low point for the series. But it does have a fan translation.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If PC is an option, play the PC versions of everything that's available on Steam (or GOG/Humble). For some of the games there are roughly equivalent PS4 versions, but for the sake of simplicity PC has the best of everything.

Essential is kind of in the eye of the beholder. The only Ys games I would consider truly essential are Oath in Felghana and Origin. But plenty of people would make that argument for other games too.

I'd say:
Play Oath in Felghana (a remake of 3). It's a more well-rounded game than Origin and probably the "more essential" option (though my preference is Origin). If you like how it plays, definitely give Origin a go, and if you still want more after that play Ark of Napishtim. Napishtim is pretty similar to Felghana, but less polished and more janky since it was the first game in that style.

And play Ys VIII. It's one of the most well regarded games in the series (didn't really click with me though). And if you like that style of Ys, Seven, Celceta (a remake of 4), and the upcoming IX are also in that style.

That just leaves I & II. These are the only games where order matters - they are basically part 1 and part 2 of a single game. At their core the Chronicles version of the games is very similar to the originals, just with modern visuals and sound. If you can get into them they are a lot of fun (Ys II is my third favorite in the series after Felghana and Origin) but they aren't for everyone. Depends a lot on your tolerance for retro games. But for games whose contemporaries are things like Final Fantasy 1, they hold up remarkably well.

If you play all these and love the series, and want more, the original version of Ys III is a pretty different game than Oath in Felghana. Dawn of Ys, one of the two original versions of Ys 4, is really well regarded and in the style of I & II. Some of the old versions of I & II are also still very well regarded and preferred by some over the current versions. Ys V is still exclusive to the SFC, and it's generally considered a pretty mediocre game and a low point for the series. But it does have a fan translation.

Ok thanks for all of this, appreciate it!

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Looking forward to testing Ys IX with Game Boost next month, hard to imagine that game with a potentially smooth framerate in the city.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
so i've been on a big kick with this series, and finished Ys Book I & II and then III all on turbo CD, about halfway through the fan translation of IV Dawn of Ys (not sure why this one isn't celebrated/liked?), and wanted ya'lls thoughts on how to go forward after this: i have the SFC fan translation of V loaded on my everdrive, is that the way to go for that one? OP mentions a PS2 port i wasn't aware of, i need to get my HD loader going again for that system soon.

after that i was thinking i'd finally do ark, then maybe go back for Origin, Oath, then Celceta before moving onto VII & beyond? just wanted some thoughts here, i'm clearly only playing the bump combat ones so far but fuck, i really love this series so far

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not aware of anyone hating on Dawn of Ys, it's usually recommended over the SNES/SFAM's Mask of the Sun as the better 16-bit Ys IV. If it's not talked about much it's probably because of the high barrier to play it: needs to be patched if you want to play it in english, and anyone who's dealt with Turbo/Super CD images will tell you what a feat it is to get those things working correctly whether you're ripping, patching or burning.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Watched a trailer for IX.

What the hell is that hanging off the back of Adel's head? Is that a...ponytail?

He needs to pay that bull girl to tear it off. Keep the classic hairdo going, old friend.

Last edited:

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
so i've been on a big kick with this series, and finished Ys Book I & II and then III all on turbo CD, about halfway through the fan translation of IV Dawn of Ys (not sure why this one isn't celebrated/liked?), and wanted ya'lls thoughts on how to go forward after this: i have the SFC fan translation of V loaded on my everdrive, is that the way to go for that one? OP mentions a PS2 port i wasn't aware of, i need to get my HD loader going again for that system soon.

after that i was thinking i'd finally do ark, then maybe go back for Origin, Oath, then Celceta before moving onto VII & beyond? just wanted some thoughts here, i'm clearly only playing the bump combat ones so far but fuck, i really love this series so far

Dawns of Ys is highly celebrated, its a fantastic entry in the series. IMHO I would say play the fan translation of Mask of the Sun on SFC next. I know it's also IV, but the story is different and was considered the canon version of IV before Celceta came out. There are similarities but also a lot of differences. Then I would do the fan translation of V. I like V but it is very different to the games that came before it. I personally think you can see the beginnings of threads that would become modern Ys. It's not going to be the best entry in the series but its good, and shit if it had come to our shores back in the day I probably would have played through it multiple times.

Good luck getting through Ark when you get there, that was a fucking slog of a game, easily the worst in the series for me.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Bumping this thread for this:

I'll capture footage for comparison this weekend, but long story short - Ys IX on PS5 is locked 60FPS as far as I can tell, and if it's not, it's hitting that target 99% of the time.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just started Ys VI :)
I started playing the series in more or less release order four years ago. I say more or less because I've only played the remake versions of Ys 1 & 2, and then release order for Ys III (I beat the Genesis, Snes and Pc Engine versions because why not), Ys IV (only Dawn of Ys. Mask of the Sun can wait) and Ys V.
I finally started Ys VI today so it's my first contact with "modern" Ys, and I was really looking forward to this one.

Quick question though: I've started on Normal Catastrophe, is that a mistake for a first run? I hesitated between Normal, Normal Catastrophe and Hard. I just want a normal challenge for my first playthrough but I thought being able to stack up on items in standard mode would make it way too easy.

(oh and if someone can shoot me a PM with an invite to the Discord, I'd appreciate it!)

Last edited:

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Just started Ys VI :)
I started playing the series in more or less release order four years ago. I say more or less because I've only played the remake versions of Ys 1 & 2, and then release order for Ys III (I beat the Genesis, Snes and Pc Engine versions because why not), Ys IV (only Dawn of Ys. Mask of the Sun can wait) and Ys V.
I finally started Ys VI today so it's my first contact with "modern" Ys, and I was really looking forward to this one.

Quick question though: I've started on Normal Catastrophe, is that a mistake for a first run? I hesitated between Normal, Normal Catastrophe and Hard. I just want a normal challenge for my first playthrough but I thought being able to stack up on items in standard mode would make it way too easy.

(oh and if someone can shoot me a PM with an invite to the Discord, I'd appreciate it!)

No, you should be fine. The funny thing about Catastrophe Mode is that in the long run, it's really not much harder than classic mode even though it may seem that way.

In Catastrophe Mode, several chests (even early on) that contain normal recovery items in classic mode contain Capla Water items. They're kind of the megalixirs of the game, giving you full health, full magic and full status recovery and the game regards them as end-game items in several ways. Since you can't use them during boss battles in Catastrophe Mode, you don't want to drink them ever. Instead, you can give one of them to a certain NPC to get an accessory that boosts the rate at which you receive the ore you need to upgrade your weaponry and you can sell the rest for lots of cash early on (meaning you can get an early boost in equipment) or for even more cash after you buy out a certain store and gain the ability to sell items at increased rates.

Catastrophe Mode also gives you the ability to buy items to permanently increase your attack and defense stats. Very late in the game, after you reach a certain level, grinding levels becomes extremely tedious due to a combination of the experience scaling that's usual in Falcom games and the large amount of experience needed to level up. In Catastrophe Mode, you can circumvent that problem because increasing your stats by buying attack/defense seeds is a process that's not subject to experience scaling, meaning at the end you'll end up quite a bit stronger and it's a linear rather than a quadratic process.

So Catastrophe Mode is kind of weird in that it has a funky difficulty curve, but it's both quite enjoyable and quite doable. Just remember that it's the first game in the Napishtim/Felghana/Origin sub-series, meaning it's rougher and more subject to stuff like janky boss hitboxes than its successors, but that's a problem even with in-battle healing items.

Oct 27, 2017
I finished Ys I and ended up really liking it. That last boss was a massive turd though, just dumb luck and shrugging until I finally got him. Looking forward to II then going to 3 on the PSP.

I've already played Celceta and VIII so I think from this point I'm going to go II -> 3 -> Origins -> Seven -> IX. And then just...wait for a V remake whenever that happens lol.

Another question I have: how's the Switch version of VIII? I'm looking to replay the game but I don't really have access to a TV for my PS4 anymore. Wanna get rid of my PS4 copy for Switch but I remember hearing it had issues when it launched.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Bumping this thread for this:

I'll capture footage for comparison this weekend, but long story short - Ys IX on PS5 is locked 60FPS as far as I can tell, and if it's not, it's hitting that target 99% of the time.

I tested it last night. It seemed like smooth 30fps to me, not 60. Looking at patch notes it didn't seem like they changed the cap either. Would love for it to be 60fps though.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Good lord, Ys 9 isn't 60 fps on the PS4?? How are they even considering porting it to the Switch? The Ys 8 port was a mess and that one was 60 fps on the PS4.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
By the way, IX now had a Lunatic difficulty. (Dunno when that was added)

Anyone knows if it restricts items like inferno?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Good lord, Ys 9 isn't 60 fps on the PS4?? How are they even considering porting it to the Switch? The Ys 8 port was a mess and that one was 60 fps on the PS4.
Ys VIII was ported by the Disgaea team at NIS, that's why it was a mess.

Ys IX is being done by Engine Software who also did the excellent TOSC3 port (they're doing TOSC4 too) so even though it's a more demanding game it might turn out better.

SadAmagami

Oct 25, 2017
Hi fellow Ys enthusiasts,

Was wondering if anyone possibly knows about the Ys 8 PC mod for the lost dlc costumes that we never got? Been looking for it as I want my experience with the game to be the most complete and...some of them just look cool :P.

Been enjoying the series awhile. Hope more enjoy these wonderful adventures!!

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Hi everyone, happy launch day! I played Monstrum Nox for review and I created some guides to help you get the platinum trophy. I have some more in the works, but these are the ones I wanted to get out quickly if anyone's interested :)

Debonair Socialite - All journal entries and character notes

https://www.gameskinny.com/dml4o/ys-ix-monstrum-nox-all-journal-entries-and-character-notes

Ambassador of the Dandelion - View all Max Affinity events

https://www.gameskinny.com/kyp8s/ys-ix-monstrum-nox-all-presents-and-max-affinity-events-guide

These detail EVERY step you need to get these trophies. These two are by far the most missable and need to be done on a single playthrough, as progress does not transfer to NG+.

Enjoy!

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Hi everyone, happy launch day! I played Monstrum Nox for review and I created some guides to help you get the platinum trophy. I have some more in the works, but these are the ones I wanted to get out quickly if anyone's interested :)

Debonair Socialite - All journal entries and character notes

https://www.gameskinny.com/dml4o/ys-ix-monstrum-nox-all-journal-entries-and-character-notes

Ambassador of the Dandelion - View all Max Affinity events

https://www.gameskinny.com/kyp8s/ys-ix-monstrum-nox-all-presents-and-max-affinity-events-guide

These detail EVERY step you need to get these trophies. These two are by far the most missable and need to be done on a single playthrough, as progress does not transfer to NG+.

Enjoy!

Thanks, that will be helpful.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
So in Oath in Felghana, does the playtime not get saved whenever you have to retry a battle? Curious because if the steam play time is accurate, then that means over 4 hours of my time playing this has just been bashing my head against these boss fights until I pull through.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Hold up
Ys 8 takes place BEFORE 6 and 7?
Yep. 4 takes place before 3 too.

edit: quick timeline
  • 700 BC: Ys Origin
  • 17 AC: Ys I & II
  • 18 AC: Ys IV / Memories of Celceta
  • 19 AC: Ys III / Oath in Felghana
  • 20 AC: Ys V
  • 21 AC: Ys VIII
  • 23 AC: Ys VI, Ys Seven
  • 24 AC: Ys IX
And then all the spinoffs are non-canon afaik (Ys Strategy, Ys Online, Ys vs. Sora no Kiseki, etc).

Last edited:

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
FFFuuuuuck, I haven't played Seven since it came out originally on the PSP and now that I'm at the final boss I'm having flashbacks to how much of a nightmare the final boss was having to use characters I'm not used to playing as. Especially the first phase, Dogi and Mishera kind of suck ass to play as. I'll probably have to grind up some skills for them since they barely have any.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Anyone tried the 4K patch. I think it's just for the JP copies for now? I should probably take some time to test it. But after beating the game twice, including a platinum run on the NA release, not sure I feel the need to retouch the game for now.

I wish they would do this for 8 though.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Are we... talking about Ys IX?

Which reminds me... I should probably buy Ys IX. Kinda fell off the Ys train pretty hard during the pandemic...

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
I was just wondering what people's assessments are on the difficulty of the Y's games, as I make my way through certain games.

To frame things- I don't like games to be overly hard (can't stand Souls games). I'm generally a "normal" difficulty guy, but if something gets to be too much, I have noproblem dropping it to easy. (so don't be all like "Play it on Nightmare!" that I see a lot of the online fandom does, I don't go for that masochistic shit)

From what I have played, Y's 8 was just fine on normal (really any difficulty was easily mitigated by just using any number of a few dozen healing items sitting in my inventory. I'm currently working my way through Y's 9, and honestly on normal, the difficulty is laughable so far, even compared to Ys 8. Probably could play it on hard with no problem, but I'm still having fun as is.

I also recently tackled Y's Origins- played Yunica's campaign on normal and that was about just what I could handle. Tricky game, given there is no healing to be had for the boss fights. it was hard, and I died quite a bit, but made it through. That said, the other two campaigns I dropped to easy just to get through with as little fuss as possible- and it was quite hard on the true final boss, even on easy, to me. Still haven't beat it, actually.

So anyway, what do people think on the other games. Will I be hitting difficulty walls? Are they more balanced? Similar to Origins?

I know 1 and 2 are entirely different with the bump combat- I actually did play 1 quite a bit a while ago. I know all about Dark Fact and the rep that boss has, that said, I did just fine beating the bat boss, which a lot of people seem to get stuck on, but I know beating Dark Fact seems like a lucky crap shoot more than anything.

Beyond that, have a copy of Celceta waiting for me and I'm wondering how hard that is. I also hear Felghana really good, but how hard is that? How hard are 6 and 7 in comparison?

Last edited:

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Well, unlike the Souls games, you can choose yiur difficulty in Ys games, which is awesome. I'm not s trophy guy really, so once in awhile you just want to go through the game with no issues, while others may want the challenge & go nightmare mode

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Felghana and Napishtim are generally considered harder than Origin on a similar difficulty level. Felghana because it's just slightly more unforgiving and Napishtim because it was the first of the three games using that engine and Falcom was still working on getting things right, resulting in wonky hitboxes for bosses and quick deaths at the hands of monsters whose levels are above yours.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
So I bought Ys I+II on Steam yesterday on a whim and I just finished the first one.

It was a really pleasant surprise. I basically went into it blind except for knowing about the bump system (which is oddly relaxing and satisfying) and found myself enjoying it. It's very simple and short but after all the massive games I play these days it was a nice change of pace.

Level design towards the end got a bit crazy and I must admit I did use some maps off Google, but I'm someone who doesn't really mind "cheating" like that. And that final boss... lol

I'll probably start II in a bit. Looking forward to playing the rest too!

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So I bought Ys I+II on Steam yesterday on a whim and I just finished the first one.

It was a really pleasant surprise. I basically went into it blind except for knowing about the bump system (which is oddly relaxing and satisfying) and found myself enjoying it. It's very simple and short but after all the massive games I play these days it was a nice change of pace.

Level design towards the end got a bit crazy and I must admit I did use some maps off Google, but I'm someone who doesn't really mind "cheating" like that. And that final boss... lol

I'll probably start II in a bit. Looking forward to playing the rest too!
2 is one of my favorite games in the entire series :)

Erpy

May 31, 2018
I see. How is the "getting lost and losing important items" factor on this one?

You're very unlikely to get lost in Felghana. There's no Solomon Shrine-type locations there. Most of the "dungeons" are relatively straight-forward with one path and a few short branches containing items. It wouldn't really need a map for the most part.