• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Ys VIII has been on my backlog for the past 2 years (got the NISA CE Day 1) and I just started it last week! I'm on Chapter 6 about 30 hours in doing all the side stuff available. I got the Plat for Celceta and I intend to do the same here. I hope a localization for Monstrum Nox happens soon!

And also, is it worth going back to the previous Ys games? Have they aged well at all? From what I've read, Celceta was a remake of Ys IV, which probably explains the pretty boring ass story. VIII's story is MUCH better.

And from what I've noticed, the older ones from PSP and back only have Adol as a playable character...did the whole 3 person party system start with Celceta?

There've been three distinct "playing styles" throughout the Ys franchise.

Ys I and II have the "bump system" where you walk around in a top-down perspective and instead of swinging your sword using a button you run into enemies from an off-center angle to hurt them without taking damage. (Ys II also allowed you to use some magic to attack) It actually works better than it sounds.

Ys VI: Ark of Napishtim, Ys: Oath in Felghana (a remake of III) and Ys Origin (a prequel to Ys I featuring ancestors of some of the NPCs you meet in the first game) are hack & slash action RPG's where you can jump around and (usually) use up to three skills as special attacks.

Ys Seven, Ys: Memories of Celceta (a remake of IV), Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana and Ys IX: Monstrum Nox (not released in the west yet) make use of the party system with skills and up to three party members in the active party you can freely switch between.

You don't really play Ys games for the thrilling stories. Most of them are pretty basic where Adol arrives in some country, hacks his way through several dungeons and eventually takes down the god-like entity threatening the local area. There's some continuity between games, but not as much as Trails. The main selling point for the series is the fast-paced combat and rockin' soundtrack.

Ys I is probably the most dated. It's very short, has a level cap you'll reach about an hour or so into the game and has several obtuse "puzzles" you need to figure out by trial and error or by using a guide. Ys II refines the formula a bit and cuts back on some of the more unfair elements of the first game and is also a tad longer. If you can get used to the unorthodox gameplay system, they're still pretty fun for a rainy afternoon.

Ys VI: Ark of Napishtim is the first of the "Napishtim engine" games and is a fun, but occasionally rough around the edges in terms of levelling and certain boss attack hitboxes. It's still a fun hack & slash. Oath in Felghana and Origin are possibly some of the best hack & slash RPG's of that era and hold up extremely well in terms of gameplay. They're still a total blast to play and some people prefer them over the later games.

Ys Seven is like Memories of Celceta except slightly rougher around the edges. The story's slightly better, but not by that much. Some mechanics that got finetuned in Celceta are slightly rougher in Seven (like Adol being mandatory all the time, skills not having a feasable level cap and the charged attack that replenishes SP requiring you to hold down the button instead of auto-charging)

It all depends on what you're looking for in the games.

OP
OP
Pasokon Deacon
Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Ys Seven is like Memories of Celceta except slightly rougher around the edges. The story's slightly better, but not by that much. Some mechanics that got finetuned in Celceta are slightly rougher in Seven (like Adol being mandatory all the time, skills not having a feasable level cap and the charged attack that replenishes SP requiring you to hold down the button instead of auto-charging).
I still maintain that Seven's the better game simply because it has better content. The dungeons are more fun and varied, bosses are more challenging and threatening due to restrictions on healing, and the pacing's much improved over the stop-and-go feel of Celceta. I still really like Celceta, but its origins as a rushed what-if experiment, coinciding with development difficulties for Nayuta and the first Cold Steel, show in myriad ways.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for all the replies! Sorry for the delay here.

Well I pretty much got all the trophies besides the Nightmare one. I'm currently speedrunning it. Started my 2nd playthrough last night and I just got to Chapter 5. So far it's pretty easy since I imported everything from the previous save file

Oct 27, 2017
Took my son to the game market in Seoul today (we've got the week off from school due to the corona virus) and came upon the Korean version of Ys IX! My Korean isn't good enough to enjoy the story, but the menus won't be a problem and might be able to persuade my wife to sit next to me while I play. The standard version actually came with a few goodies:

The game itself—and a short manual.
wGo9jtZ.jpg

Some bookmarks.
SSx3SP4.jpg

An inside look at the manual (there are more pages than this).
aNtdWyO.jpg

A mini album. Too bad I don't have a CD player.
LONewz5.jpg

The back of the mini album.
k1H0sl9.jpg

vladisaac

Nov 1, 2017
I finished Ys IX on Hard: 40 hours to clear it with all the collectibles (100% map, skills, chests, side quests and all the character notes).
Overally, I didn't have that much fun with the game due to its numerous flaws. I collected the qualities/lukewarm elements/flaws as follows:

+ Somehow the story, the world-building and the references are one of its strongest point. The story was quite surprising and surprisingly well written. We have reached a time point where Ys has a better story than Trails...
+ The Monstrum traversal abilities are fun to use.
+ The various adjustments on the battle system: there is now a boost mode on top of the Extra Skills (i.e. Ys Origin), and the boost gauge diminishes automatically when you're not hitting ennemies. The timing for Flash Guard and Flash Move is also stricter now.
+ The length of the game felt right. It's not dragging on with filler, and it doesn't feel rushed either.

+/- The soundtrack is okay-ish. There are some excellent tracks (Cloaca Maxima, Glessing Way, Catch me if you can, Dreaming in the Grimewald) and a lot of gothic rock that are a bit too aggressive for my taste. I still feel like Singa is not a strong suit for rock-oriented tracks.
+/- The setting of the game - a prison city - is well made. But I never had the sensation to be in an adventure. The game should be played with the mindset that "it's a story about Adol in a prison".

- The technical issues. Ys IX being graphically outdated could get a pass (the usual for a Falcom game), but the framerate drops in the main city are far too noticeable. It's not only one small area, it's the main area of the game!
- The boss battles are a missed opportunity as they don't exploit enough the Monstrum abilities. Almost all of them are still reliant on Flash Move/Flash Guard.
- The Trails-like structure is too formulaic and gets quickly repetitive for the first half.
- Raids are back. Raids are not interrupting the exploration. Raids are a bit better. But raids are still uninteresting.
- The dungeons with one-hit game over are too frustrating.
- The hubs are integrated in a less cohesive way than Ys VIII.
- Overally, the game is far too similar to Ys VIII and doesn't bring enough innovation on the table.

I'm not sure whether the qualities of the game outweights its flaws. One thing for sure is that I couldn't recommend to play the game blindly like I did with Ys VIII.
I really hope that Falcom shake things up in their next game, whether it's Ys V Remake or Ys X.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I finished Ys IX on Hard: 40 hours to clear it with all the collectibles (100% map, skills, chests, side quests and all the character notes).
Overally, I didn't have that much fun with the game due to its numerous flaws. I collected the qualities/lukewarm elements/flaws as follows:

+ Somehow the story, the world-building and the references are one of its strongest point. The story was quite surprising and surprisingly well written. We have reached a time point where Ys has a better story than Trails...
+ The Monstrum traversal abilities are fun to use.
+ The various adjustments on the battle system: there is now a boost mode on top of the Extra Skills (i.e. Ys Origin), and the boost gauge diminishes automatically when you're not hitting ennemies. The timing for Flash Guard and Flash Move is also stricter now.
+ The length of the game felt right. It's not dragging on with filler, and it doesn't feel rushed either.

+/- The soundtrack is okay-ish. There are some excellent tracks (Cloaca Maxima, Glessing Way, Catch me if you can, Dreaming in the Grimewald) and a lot of gothic rock that are a bit too aggressive for my taste. I still feel like Singa is not a strong suit for rock-oriented tracks.
+/- The setting of the game - a prison city - is well made. But I never had the sensation to be in an adventure. The game should be played with the mindset that "it's a story about Adol in a prison".

- The technical issues. Ys IX being graphically outdated could get a pass (the usual for a Falcom game), but the framerate drops in the main city are far too noticeable. It's not only one small area, it's the main area of the game!
- The boss battles are a missed opportunity as they don't exploit enough the Monstrum abilities. Almost all of them are still reliant on Flash Move/Flash Guard.
- The Trails-like structure is too formulaic and gets quickly repetitive for the first half.
- Raids are back. Raids are not interrupting the exploration. Raids are a bit better. But raids are still uninteresting.
- The dungeons with one-hit game over are too frustrating.
- The hubs are integrated in a less cohesive way than Ys VIII.
- Overally, the game is far too similar to Ys VIII and doesn't bring enough innovation on the table.

I'm not sure whether the qualities of the game outweights its flaws. One thing for sure is that I couldn't recommend to play the game blindly like I did with Ys VIII.
I really hope that Falcom shake things up in their next game, whether it's Ys V Remake or Ys X.
How was the difficulty on Hard? Outside of me being dumb on a few bosses, Nightmare didn't feel too bad, except random bouts of enemies just murdering me if I did a dumb dumb.

But yeah, I agree overall with your overview of all this. I loved the raids in 8 though, here they were kind of more elaborate, but at the same time more of an annoyance? I thought they were just fine overall though.

vladisaac

Nov 1, 2017
How was the difficulty on Hard? Outside of me being dumb on a few bosses, Nightmare didn't feel too bad, except random bouts of enemies just murdering me if I did a dumb dumb.

Hard was quite easy. I used some potions here and there but I didn't run into any trouble.

I feel like people will take this more as a positive.

If IX was an improved version of VIII, I could imagine people seeing the similarity as positive. But it's overally weaker.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
In a surprise announcement, XSeed added the Japanese VA to their PC port of Celceta and the previously console-exclusive English VA to their PC version of Felghana. (plus alternative soundtracks for the latter)

Sara

Programmer at XSEED
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Buffalo, NY
In a surprise announcement, XSeed added the Japanese VA to their PC port of Celceta and the previously console-exclusive English VA to their PC version of Felghana. (plus alternative soundtracks for the latter)
And I sure hope it was worth it (I did the Oath patch)! I'm pretty sure most people have finished Oath in Felghana by now, but I really wanted to do this, and it simply ended up taking a much longer time than I originally hoped it would...

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly if I didn't have such a threatening backlog, it would be on my list to replay since Oath is a nice short game.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
And I sure hope it was worth it (I did the Oath patch)! I'm pretty sure most people have finished Oath in Felghana by now, but I really wanted to do this, and it simply ended up taking a much longer time than I originally hoped it would...
So PC version of Oath has voice acting now? Time to replay it soon then, can't let all that hard work go to waste! :)

Thanks for that dedication! :D

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
Just gotten past the first miniboss of Oath in Felghana on my nightmare replay. This was my first Ys game years ago, so the patch has been a great excuse to revisit it. Some quick thoughts:
The music options are lovely. The older versions don't really match up with the opening video, but they're otherwise great. And that you can swap at any time similar to Ys 1 and 2 makes it easy to switch it up when you're in a particularly long dungeon or whatever.
The voice acting is... a mixed bag. Some of it is good (Chester in particular from the one scene he's been in so far), but some of the minor NPCs are impossible to take seriously. The owner of the item/equipment shop is suddenly really horny! For first playthroughs (for all two of the people in this thread who haven't played it yet lol), I'd consider turning the voices off if you're not into it, which fortunately you can pretty easily in the game's launcher.

As for the actual gameplay, I last played the game on normal and died a LOT. This playthrough I beat the miniboss in two lives, so evidently I've gotten a lot better at Ys games! Feels good.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
Oath in Felghana's voice acting is pretty bad. It's kind of dumb that it's on by default; the original release of the game didn't have voice acting and given that it's below par, it should only have been presented as an extra option and not the standard way to play the game.

OP
OP
Pasokon Deacon
Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
I love the hammy VA, personally, and anyone that annoyed by it can always disable voices with less than a few key/button presses. Some of the weaker performances are a small price to pay for full-on Chester, Dogi, and Garland awesomeness.

Finalow

Oct 28, 2017
to be honest I couldn't care less of an added english VA but I had in mind to replay Felghana (possibly on Inferno this time) so this is a good time as any. the game is still great and still one of the best Ys games. (I shall say #2)

part of me though wants to play Ys 8 and 9 to "catch up" but after finishing 7, which took some willpower to not drop out of boredom, I'm not sure about spending 50 or so hours again into another modern Ys game.
that is, unless the general opinion of Ys 8 is that it's really worth playing (doesn't seem that's the case with 9? Which is sad since it looks way more interesting than 8), like e.g. Origin or Felghana are.

also I'd definitely look forward to play a remake of Ys V. I played the original yeeears ago, I wouldn't consider it a good Ys game but the setting and world of that chapter were really interesting, which indeed made me wish for a remake after finishing it.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
to be honest I couldn't care less of an added english VA but I had in mind to replay Felghana (possibly on Inferno this time) so this is a good time as any. the game is still great and still one of the best Ys games. (I shall say #2)

part of me though wants to play Ys 8 and 9 to "catch up" but after finishing 7, which took some willpower to not drop out of boredom, I'm not sure about spending 50 or so hours again into another modern Ys game.
that is, unless the general opinion of Ys 8 is that it's really worth playing (doesn't seem that's the case with 9? Which is sad since it looks way more interesting than 8), like e.g. Origin or Felghana are.

also I'd definitely look forward to play a remake of Ys V. I played the original yeeears ago, I wouldn't consider it a good Ys game but the setting and world of that chapter were really interesting, which indeed made me wish for a remake after finishing it.
8 is still my favorite. It's a huge jump from 7 (and Celceta). 9 just was OK. unstable 30 fps after 8 being 60 fps is a shame.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
The wait for IX's western release is killing me, I can't wait to play it.

I hope we get a remake of V soon, it needs it so bad.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm reaelly hoping V gets a remake next. I almost grabbed a Japanese SFC copy but decided against it... this time!

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
What are the chances that IX's western release date is this year? The PS4 version of Celceta is appealing but i don't want to start it yet if there's a decent chance that IX isn't that far away. I'm the type of gamer who will get burned out on a franchise if i play two games in close proximity to each other.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
What are the chances that IX's western release date is this year? The PS4 version of Celceta is appealing but i don't want to start it yet if there's a decent chance that IX isn't that far away. I'm the type of gamer who will get burned out on a franchise if i play two games in close proximity to each other.

CS4 is releasing this Fall. I don't think YS IX is coming this year unless Xseed or another publisher publish the game.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
I think if we havent heard about it after end of June / July IE the old E3 period. Then I'm pretty sure it not coming this year.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So they're porting Ys IX to Switch.

That's brave. Hopefully that means PS4 pro gets a 60fps patch in the localization. JP version ran rough even on that at 30fps.

Apr 24, 2018
Tearing my hair out trying to find the last .1% of the map and final harvest point in Memories of Celceta. I think the harvest point might be in the Underground Ruins because I found a guide stating that there's five harvest points there, but I've run through it multiple times and only see four.

I'm about ready to call it quits on completing the map, though. I hope in new game plus, even though the map % carries over, that the actual map has to be refilled in again...this is really souring what was otherwise a great experience.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
You can GENERALLY see missing parts on the map if you look REALLY, REALLY closely. The non-filled in parts are just a little bit lighter than the rest. We're often talking pixel-pinching though. If you're missing a harvest point, the map might be more clear about it.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
So they're porting Ys IX to Switch.

That's brave. Hopefully that means PS4 pro gets a 60fps patch in the localization. JP version ran rough even on that at 30fps.
Unlikely unless Falcom decides to do a Pro patch themselves during loc. The teams NISA has on Switch and PC ports are basically separate from PS4 work.

Apr 24, 2018
You can GENERALLY see missing parts on the map if you look REALLY, REALLY closely. The non-filled in parts are just a little bit lighter than the rest. We're often talking pixel-pinching though. If you're missing a harvest point, the map might be more clear about it.
Did you uncover all the map by the tower with the lightning? You couldn't get it all on your first trip through.
Thanks guys. I actually managed to finish the map but it was basically pure luck. The part that was "missing" was in an area I had already re-ran through hugging walls tightly, so I really was quite dumbfounded (small corner of Gidona Crater). Unfortunately, I'm still missing the last harvest point. I compared my map against a guide, and it looks like I have all the overworld harvest points already.

Probably gonna hold off looking for it until my NG+ Nightmare playthrough, where I have to replay all the dungeons, anyways...

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wraping up my second playthrough of Ys 8 on the pc port. I definitely feel like I'm ready for whatever Ys 9 throws my way at this point.

Here's to hoping it's even better than the Durante'd updated version of pc 8. Ys 8 is only the second ever game I've played through a second time after beating it in the last 10 years the other being Oath, Nightmare then Inferno a year later. This series is the best :)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Ys Memories of Celceta today. 99.8% map coverage (couldn't be assed to look for the last .2% though I was sorta sad I missed out on the all memories/flashbacks trophy (I probably only missed one, but no idea which). Loved the game, though it does get surprisingly easy on hard mode after the first couple of dungeons because while cool, the augmenting weapons and armor options can make you delightfully overpowered! #

As per usual, amazing soundtrack and badass boss fights and the end game went on for longer than I expected it would. Not my favourite Ys game, but definitely yet another quality entry in the series. Not sure what to do next... as I was sorta hoping by the time I got to this point that an Ys V remake would have at least been announced, guess I'll just play the original in that case, though assuming if it doesn't hold too much continuity for later games, I may go through VI-IX before attempting it (again, hoping for a remake to appear by the time I get IX done)

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Finished Ys Memories of Celceta today. 99.8% map coverage (couldn't be assed to look for the last .2% though I was sorta sad I missed out on the all memories/flashbacks trophy (I probably only missed one, but no idea which). Loved the game, though it does get surprisingly easy on hard mode after the first couple of dungeons because while cool, the augmenting weapons and armor options can make you delightfully overpowered! #

As per usual, amazing soundtrack and badass boss fights and the end game went on for longer than I expected it would. Not my favourite Ys game, but definitely yet another quality entry in the series. Not sure what to do next... as I was sorta hoping by the time I got to this point that an Ys V remake would have at least been announced, guess I'll just play the original in that case, though assuming if it doesn't hold too much continuity for later games, I may go through VI-IX before attempting it (again, hoping for a remake to appear by the time I get IX done)
I&II are worth going through. Not much of a time investment but they're a great time. If you played Origins, it kind of ties right into it.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I&II are worth going through. Not much of a time investment but they're a great time. If you played Origins, it kind of ties right into it.
I've already played 1-IV and Origins (loved all of them). Its really only V I'm unsure on since I was holding out for a remake (not that I have any problem playing the Super Famicom version, I'd just rather have a remake!)

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The pattern has been

6 (forward) , 3 oath (remake), origin (untold story)

7 (forward), 4 Celceta (remake), 8 (untold story)

9 (forward)

Pattern says 5 remake is next

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The pattern has been

6 (forward) , 3 oath (remake), origin (untold story)

7 (forward), 4 Celceta (remake), 8 (untold story)

9 (forward)

Pattern says 5 remake is next
Cool, thanks for the info. I'll give VI a shot next then, and see if we get any news of a V remake next year. Otherwise I'll just play the original through.

Speaking of which, when it comes to the originals Vs the remakes - how do they hold up? I'd like to do a run of the original versions one day regardless (as I love comparing the originals to the remakes)

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Cool, thanks for the info. I'll give VI a shot next then, and see if we get any news of a V remake next year. Otherwise I'll just play the original through.

Speaking of which, when it comes to the originals Vs the remakes - how do they hold up? I'd like to do a run of the original versions one day regardless (as I love comparing the originals to the remakes)
Ys 3 is bad , the 4s are ok