• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Gematsu

Details are still forthcoming. The meeting's still in progress.

This directly connects to the Project N.O.X. teaser page Falcom put up recently. According to estimates, the teaser page should reveal more in about an hour.

A monstrum is a sign or portent that disrupts the natural order as evidence of divine displeasure.[326] The word monstrum is usually assumed to derive, as Cicero says, from the verb monstro, "show" (compare English "demonstrate"), but according to Varro it comes from moneo, "warn."[327] Because a sign must be startling or deviant to have an impact, monstrum came to mean "unnatural event"[328] or "a malfunctioning of nature."[329] Suetonius said that "a monstrum is contrary to nature <or exceeds the nature> we are familiar with, like a snake with feet or a bird with four wings."[330] The Greek equivalent was teras.[331] The English word "monster" derived from the negative sense of the word. Compare miraculum, ostentum, portentum, and prodigium. In one of the most famous uses of the word in Latin literature, the Augustan poet Horace calls Cleopatra a fatale monstrum, something deadly and outside normal human bounds.[332] Cicero calls Catiline monstrum atque prodigium[333] and uses the phrase several times to insult various objects of his attacks as depraved and beyond the human pale. For Seneca, the monstrum is, like tragedy, "a visual and horrific revelation of the truth."[334]

Last edited:

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After that teaser image, it just being the next Ys game (which I will still play) is kind of deflating.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks great, super excited ... How we get a western release in 2019, too. I've always liked the Ys series, but 8 was fantastic ... Definitely want more

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how the teaser will tie in, since the artstyle was a bit weird for them. Could just end up being super misleading like the Tokyo Xanadu art.
I'm unsurprised by this announcement. Hoping for Xanadu anything was expecting too much.

So far, the release pattern's holding: a new Ys game, often introducing a new play style, followed by a remake in said style and then a finale game.
So you think this'll be a new playstyle? Iunno, seems too soon for one of those.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Sounds like it might be darker than usual for the Ys series, I'm looking forward to it regardless.

OP
OP
Pasokon Deacon
Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Just look at the scale of that town screenshot, y'all. This city's gonna dwarf anything we've had in the series so far.

Wonder how the teaser will tie in, since the artstyle was a bit weird for them. Could just end up being super misleading like the Tokyo Xanadu art.

So you think this'll be a new playstyle? Iunno, seems too soon for one of those.
Concept art's been misleading before, so I would agree.

And it's never too soon for a style change if we're talking Ys. They've had two distinct eras since 2003, and it's more than possible for Falcom to change something if it fits a predictable business pattern.

Apr 24, 2018
It looks like I'll need to finish Ys VIII next year. It was one of the only non-indie games that I started this year and didn't complete, but mainly due to life getting in the way and not playing all that many games to begin with. Ys IX will definitely get a purchase from me.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I've only played Oath in Felghana and Memories of Celceta but after being introduced to Trails, Falcom owns my soul. I'll definitely pick it up.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
ys-9-monst-nox-init_1yedw6.jpg

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
All they need to do is not put any weird rapey scenes in it and we're good to go.

OP
OP
Pasokon Deacon
Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Unless XSeed can do more platforms in addition to JP publishing, they don't have much of a bargaining chip. Unless Marvelous decides to throw their weight around
Marvelous really needs to smarten up, especially since Senran Kagura's at risk if they don't reach for Switch. Anyway, it's still possible for XSEED to snag this, but they'll have to bet the farm given who they're dealing with. I think focusing on Trails works better for them since they can recover from losing their Falcom loc people without compromising quality.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Ys 8 was great, so I'm happy that they're working on 9 already. The bigger news to me though was this "Sen no Kiseki will be seeing English PS4 releases..."
Please be Cold Steel 3 and 4!

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
Frankly, I would love for it to be a new game, but I won't complain for getting a Ys game.

Hopefully they'll improve the animation and geometry of the levels (Although my point of reference is just Ys VIII and not Sen III/IV) in this entry.

The bigger news to me though was this "Sen no Kiseki will be seeing English PS4 releases..."

The tentative date for Cold Steel 1 & 2 PS4 is late January.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome news. Regardless of who localizes, I'll pick it up for sure. This time on PS4 at launch and not waiting for a PC version after the Ys 8 fiasco

OP
OP
Pasokon Deacon
Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
This solo Adol or will they continue woth team format?
No idea. If it follows the current pattern of Ys releases, it'll change something about how the game plays. Alternatively, we'll learn that the party system happened precisely because they want to court PSP owners who buy games with big, varied casts. (It's also convenient for the story if you can have the main fighters together most of the time.)

Hopefully they'll improve the animation and geometry of the levels (Although my point of reference is just Ys VIII and not Sen III/IV) in this entry.
Given they're developing this for PS4 and not Vita, only animations are at risk of looking dodgy. The technical jump here's going to do so much for the premise.