• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Question about the Ys games. Where do I start? and is Adol always the lead?
you can start anywhere though i recommend release order, if you want more modern refinmed i'd say start with Lacrimosa of Dana
Ys1 > Ys2 > VI The Ark of Napishtim > The Oath in Felghana > Origin > SEVEN > Memories of Celceta > VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana > IX: Monstrum Nox
1&2 feature bump combat (they're very old)
Npaishtim, Oath and Origin feature solo adol,
Seven, Celceta and Lacrimosa feature party combat with a rock paper scissors system.

Adol always has been the protagnoist except for Ys Origin which was a prequel set 700 years earlier.

Oct 29, 2017
... not a big fan of the design. I get the approach and it is definitely a good shock to the traditions of the series, but this doesn't look like Adol. Obviously that's the point, but I genuinely hope that his classic red hair reappears.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
I knew it had to be a "disguise". And let's be real, if there's an Ys title without Dogi, it's not worth it.

Hmm..
Memories of Celceta's quality directly correlates with the amount of Dogi, so I'm inclined to agree with you.

ys%20origin_0.jpg

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Adol and Dogi aren't gay.

They're just two dudes who like to spoon together and are planning to buy a nice cottage for themselves once they make enough money to retire.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Ys is pretty much dead to me. Really sad how the games have changed since VII
I just don't understand why we can't go back to the old gameplay. I know the new style has its fans but it doesn't fit the series at all to me.

Oath in Felghana and Origin were so fucking good.

Classic Ys is nuts.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Yunica is the best.

Instead of whoever these goons are in Monstrum Nox, I'd like the playable characters to be Yunica, Yunica with two swords, Karate Yunica, Spellcaster Yunica, etc.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I just don't understand why we can't go back to the old gameplay.
Switching characters mid-combat and having more skills available are good things IMO, that make a repetitive game less repetitive.

I only played Origin from the "classic games", and even if I prefer the shorter game length and the more interesting plot and less cliche characters, the gameplay in Celceta/VIII felt like a big improvement to me.

Also Flash Guard and Flash Move are really fun to use (maybe OP, but fun nonetheless).

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Switching characters mid-combat and having more skills available are good things IMO, that make a repetitive game less repetitive.

I only played Origin from the "classic games", and even if I prefer the shorter game length and the more interesting plot and less cliche characters, the gameplay in Celceta/VIII felt like a big improvement to me.

Also Flash Guard and Flash Move are really fun to use (maybe OP, but fun nonetheless).
Sigh.

I should probably buy Memory of Velveeta and give it a second shot. I hear things get better with that and VIII.

VII was such a slog compared to past games though..

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
In all honesty, Ys Origin is amazing, but it doesn't have Adol either. If you have Adol, you gotta have Dogi too, but if you have Yunica, you don't need them.
Dogi theory is evolving!

Sigh.

I should probably buy Memory of Velveeta and give it a second shot. I hear things get better with that and VIII.

VII was such a slog compared to past games though..
I found VII to be much better than Velveeta, but Velveeta was easier to get going in if that makes sense. Skill unlock system made more sense to me than VII's system where it was tied to the weapon. The more focus on exploration was cool and well done IMO. It just fell short in story and enemy/boss design.

Last edited:

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I was worried the backstory justification for the change would be something stupid but this is actually pretty cool. Completely onboard.

sprinkles

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Falcom ever let's Adol visit Romn aka Ys' version of ancient Rome. They keep bringing up the Romun Empire, but Adol never visits the capital.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do you people just not have friends or something? Not everyone you're close to is a sexual partner.
1. Just noticing a pattern, but I really only saw this line when it's gay couples being shipped together. It's really only relatively recently that I've seen this thought extended in regards to a man and a woman having chemistry on screen. (IE A woman doesn't need a man in her life and they can be just friends. Recent example is Star Wars TFA. People were pairing Rey and Finn, I think, assuming that would be a romance later on.) And to be fair, as a straight dude who was admittedly immature, I used to just assume romantic stuff between close friends of opposite genders in my media. Funny thing is I had friends who were women too so...

2. If your company is coming out and saying another dude is 'someone else's wife', then I got news for ya, most normal people will also think it's a romantic gay relationship. (To be clear there isn't anything wrong with that either.)

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
2. If your company is coming out and saying another dude is 'someone else's wife', then I got news for ya, most normal people will also think it's a romantic gay relationship. (To be clear there isn't anything wrong with that either.)

Guess the posters like myself and a few others in this topic who don't see it that way at all must be abnormal, then. Good to know!

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Guess the posters like myself and a few others in this topic who don't see it that way at all must be abnormal, then. Good to know!
Cause downplaying a gay shipping is something that isn't done all the time.

Sarcasm in case you wondered, you only get the friends argument when it's a gay relationship. Sounds like some sort of belief... Oh right, it's called heteronormativity.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
Cause downplaying a gay shipping is something that isn't done all the time.

Sarcasm in case you wondered, you only get the friends argument when it's a gay relationship. Sounds like some sort of belief... Oh right, it's called heteronormativity.

Honestly, I was being tongue-in-cheek with my response, as well. However, I'll answer this in the spirit in which I believe you mean it.

My interpretation of Kondo's words have nothing to do with my beliefs regarding a default sexual orientation, and more with how I've seen these two relate to each other across the media they are depicted in.

As I have stated in my post earlier, nowhere in any of the games that have Adol and Dogi in them have they ever been romantically inclined towards the other (correct me if wrong, naturally), and I've played pretty much all the games that have Dogi in them. I honestly don't know why I suffered through a couple of those, give me my time back, Falcom!

Any conclusions that I have taken with regards to how Kondo meant his statement takes that into mind. I'm completely open to an actual DogAdol being a thing, and there's even a point in
Oath of Felghana, where Dogi decides to stay and Adol is unhappy about it and has to leave without Dogi, but Dogi himself isn't really sad at all, that I could recall.

So far, in canon, there's nothing that makes me think that Adol is even remotely interested, in a romantic sense, in anything or anyone that isn't him hitting things with a sword, and maybe shipwrecks.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Dogi is so important it's like he's Adol's wife.

Haha, this will be the equivalent to Zestiria's...

Mikleo is Sorey's one and only.

It'll keep the dream of all shippers alive for many years to come.
For anyone surprised: JRPGs, anime and manga, that have a traditionally big female fanbase, do this regularly. Not outright stating a shonen ai relationship, but subtly or sometimes more heavily hinting at it. That's all the fans need, no one cares what's actually canon or not. Though the "wife" thing is oddly direct.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Still waiting for them to reveal theres some sort of gypsy curse going on with Adol and boats.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
... not a big fan of the design. I get the approach and it is definitely a good shock to the traditions of the series, but this doesn't look like Adol. Obviously that's the point, but I genuinely hope that his classic red hair reappears.
It does. All of the actual gameplay footage we've seen has him with red hair and a different design (the one on the box art).

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Its why Adol never gets the girl in the end.

"Adol, take me with you!"

"No....I can't."

*lone tear falls down his face as the rust bucket falls into the sea seconds after boarding it*

Akselziys

Aksys Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Adol x Feena is the only pairing ;)

Side piece Dogi is acceptable too haha

Really curious how the story plays out though with all the Monstrum :)

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Theres a moment where Adol has his shirt off in Ys VII and dude is fucking jacked and littered with scars.

Was in awe at the sheer manliness of this lad. Few JRPG protagonists earn my respect in that regard, Adol is one of them.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
1. Just noticing a pattern, but I really only saw this line when it's gay couples being shipped together. It's really only relatively recently that I've seen this thought extended in regards to a man and a woman having chemistry on screen. (IE A woman doesn't need a man in her life and they can be just friends. Recent example is Star Wars TFA. People were pairing Rey and Finn, I think, assuming that would be a romance later on.) And to be fair, as a straight dude who was admittedly immature, I used to just assume romantic stuff between close friends of opposite genders in my media. Funny thing is I had friends who were women too so...

If you think about how small a fraction gay people actually comprise of the population, it makes sense - if a man and a woman actually were in the same position, it's highly likely at there being a chsnce of a relationship forming; whereas if you take two people of the same gender at random, they probably won't be gay, and in the same situation would just become friends.

Speaking more broadly, it's also why straight couples tend to meet in an enormous variety of serendipitous ways, while most people who aren't use online services etc..

As for this comment, using wife instead of husband alone (along with all of the other context that shows this isn't a thing) demonstrates that Kondo didn't mean they were actually taken to be in a relationship.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind Adol in disguise, but new dyed-hair Adol looks like a Fire Emblem reject.
Adol's design has turned to shit the last couple of games just terrible

7 is the last time he looked good
Gimme older designed Adol (armored and such) anyday. HATED his more modern hero design (hoodie jacket). That sorta thing (modern-ish clothes in Medieval set fantasy worlds) always irks me. I mean, people have every right to design their characters however the hell they do, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. I feel the same for medieval worlds where one character just happens to be a gothic lolita type. It's a head slapping, "Gimme a break!!" moment for me.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you think about how small a fraction gay people actually comprise of the population, it makes sense - if a man and a woman actually were in the same position, it's highly likely at there being a chsnce of a relationship forming; whereas if you take two people of the same gender at random, they probably won't be gay, and in the same situation would just become friends.

Speaking more broadly, it's also why straight couples tend to meet in an enormous variety of serendipitous ways, while most people who aren't use online services etc..

As for this comment, using wife instead of husband alone (along with all of the other context that shows this isn't a thing) demonstrates that Kondo didn't mean they were actually taken to be in a relationship.
I mean yeah, I know couples where one wasn't comfortable with their significant other hanging around with friends of the opposite gender. (And I've seen it both ways, in both men and women.) Call it insecurity or trust issues or whatever, which it is, but that's our reality. I'm not sure how society will ever change that. I've even caught myself thinking that way before.

There's also kind of a similar situation regarding bisexual people, where they're negative stereotyped as promiscuous and therefore untrustworthy by gay/lesbian and straight people. That's just a fucked up line of thinking though and probably biphobic.

By sheer numbers, straight people are more represented as well which makes it more common to see friendships between a man and a man or a woman and a woman. (There might have been more recent studies done on how there might be more lgbt people out there than we think. I heard something about that but never followed up. Still a minority percentage though.)

I mean what piece of media has had a close relationship between a man and woman without acknowledging the romantic tension that (because of the writers) exists? One that wasn't just family members? I'd have to take a couple minutes to think of one while there are plenty of close friendships of the same gender that I can think of.

Which is why I kinda see this line of complaint of same sex pairings as a little tiring. I don't really mind that gay/lesbian people want some representation in media, let them have their shipping.

Though to be clear, it can definitely get out of hand. And a fair number of those wanting certain pairings aren't gay or lesbian but are teenage girls. And that's more than a little creepy to me.

But anyway I understand that the context behind the games don't actually support this supposed pairing. But the ceo joking about Adol having a 'wife' (Yeah its kinda backwards as 'husband' would be more appropriate) just signals to me that they at least acknowledge that the pairing exists. Maybe years down the road Adol will actually get in a gay relationship with Dogi. Or he'll be bisexual. Who knows.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
has Adol always been able to Noctis or that new
Adol's Memory gets reset at the start of pretty much any new adventures so in every game his skill set isn't so much his own as it is the result of the weird magic Artifacts he finds on his way to save the day once again .
In that regard the playable Characters living in the region you end up crashing in , are more interesting than Adol why ? Because this :
- Gamers : " So that's what's your power is all bout -insert name of playable character unique to that episode of YS - and you Adol what's YOUR power about"
- Adol : "I dunno man outside of the usual you know me always somehow ending up to be the perfect fit and the perfect user for the local long forgotten magic thinamagoo that's gonna save the day ."

Hell at this point even some episode of the series are making some self aware jokes about Adol being "Mister systemic amnesia upon boat crash , and yet being the chosen one anyway"