• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Youtuber Chris Broad who is known for their Abroad with Japn Series recently conducted famous Japanese Actor Ken Watanabe, it's a really insightful video and i recommend you check it out - i am curious to know pepole's thoughts and opinions on it.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Watched it last night with food (Generally save the good stuff for meal time) as with all Chris's stuff a good watch. The guy got me through Covid lockdown boredom and everything he does is pretty interesting.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Watched it as soon as it dropped yesterday.
Feels good to see it being released after so many hurdles he had to suffer.
Ken Watanabe feels so damn authentic. It's great seeing how the people at Kesennuma feel about him.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Was kinda cool how they both just switched between English and Japanese without the obvious edits when there is a translator involved. Mad how popular Chris had become too, started seeing him on Japanese government/tourism ads on Facebook now.

JAlpsWanderer

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome video and amazing to see how much the area has recovered.
Ken seems like a great guy through and through.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Going to watch it later today. Chris always produces great content. Folks new to his channel should check out episode where they made a song that got into iTunes charts 😂.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Going to watch it later, but it's crazy that he spent a week with him, and was able to edit it down to a 20 minute video.

Oct 27, 2017
I want to see this just because I love what I've heard and seen of Watanabe's post-Fukushima efforts. I still find it tragic that his Serizawa character in Godzilla King of the Monsters had to share screen time with that shit stain "wise-cracking" "scientist" in that film. He deserved to be portrayed as a leading expert on the matters and not having to be told about animal and kaiju behavior by Bradley Whitford and Kyle Chandler...

Sorry for the rant. Thanks for the vid.

Edit: reading posts, so this seems to bring up those efforts? Such a great guy.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
As a long time viewer of Abroad in Japan, it's hilarious this video exists because Chris has always had a fascination with Ken Watanabe dating back to like, videos from 2014 or something.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Very powerful footage of the devastation and the rebuilding, the note about the quiet/silence. Nice of him to be so involved in the effort, hear the stories from the fish-monger, etc.

That said is the "oh wow Ken Watanabe" an in-joke? As someone unfamiliar with the material it comes off as heavily repetitive and tedious.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Chris does really good work, his more documentary style videos are really polished, and I used most of his tips when I went to Japan myself!

Oct 26, 2017
It was a good video, but he's done many individual videos that were better, like his previous videos on the earthquake and Fukushima, as well as all the Journey Across Japan variations. It felt a bit awkward, maybe because he was a big fan himself. He came across more natural with Hyde a few years back.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Immediately after this video I went to watch Tampopo. What a funny film, the egg scene had me equally confused and laughing.

AstroLad

Oct 31, 2017
It was a good video, but he's done many individual videos that were better, like his previous videos on the earthquake and Fukushima, as well as all the Journey Across Japan variations. It felt a bit awkward, maybe because he was a big fan himself. He came across more natural with Hyde a few years back.
yeah he has a lot of different styles of videos so definitely it's to each their own. i feel like i like JAJ, Wacky Weekend, and the food collabs with tokyo creative the best. basically when he's collabing with friends he's a really good foil.

this video was definitely very sweet--almost like a passion/dream project so it's really cool he got to do it, but yeah i almost could have done with more setup about ken watanabe and who he is coming into this video, and yeah the fawning was a bit much (and even seemed to make ken a bit uncomfortable, but maybe i'm just projecting) but knowing how much a dream project it is i'm not gonna hate haha

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017

The video had to be vigorously vetoed and checked by Ken Watanabe's PR manager, so maybe he was trying to be extra cautious. Japan PR firms can be brutal.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
It was an interesting video. Though I wonder Chris was truly able to ask Ken what he really wanted to ask him. The questions felt a bit tame for someone who supposedly has been interested in his work for a long time. I might be expecting Sean on Hot Ones interview quality questions from more interviewers now.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Chris' production value has really been amazing over the past few years

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
It was an interesting video. Though I wonder Chris was truly able to ask Ken what he really wanted to ask him. The questions felt a bit tame for someone who supposedly has been interested in his work for a long time. I might be expecting Sean on Hot Ones interview quality questions from more interviewers now.

I thought on the podcast at some point he's mentioned there's been two visits and two planned videos but that might have changed or I might have misheard. He said he'd been super nervous the first time and tried to do better the second.

Also, Chris's documentary of the disaster itself is probably his best work and people should watch it if they haven't already.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I thought on the podcast at some point he's mentioned there's been two visits and two planned videos but that might have changed or I might have misheard. He said he'd been super nervous the first time and tried to do better the second.

Also, Chris's documentary of the disaster itself is probably his best work and people should watch it if they haven't already.
Watch all his vids of course but yeah was a good watch. He was rather disappointed at one point that video did less well and it's a well produced thing.

Oct 27, 2017
I know Chris's channel and run in Japan has to end at some point or change dramatically but I really enjoy how it's always around and providing great content. He's been doing it 10 years now, and selfishly I want to see him do it for 10 more.

I'm really surprised no tv network or streaming service has offered him a deal to adapt older videos, but then again, YT is where it's at either way

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
Chris felt out of his element here, but in a good way. It wouldn't really work to be snarky with Watanabe.

I wouldn't be surprised to see these two interact again in the future. This video is probably great publicity for Watanabe that brings attention to something he cares about personally. And I do believe it was Watanabe's team that approached Chris about doing a documentary, not the other way around.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I know Chris's channel and run in Japan has to end at some point or change dramatically but I really enjoy how it's always around and providing great content. He's been doing it 10 years now, and selfishly I want to see him do it for 10 more.

I'm really surprised no tv network or streaming service has offered him a deal to adapt older videos, but then again, YT is where it's at either way

I know he's said he wants to do short films but I'd love it if he moved onto feature documentaries. He has stated a distaste for Japanese TV networks so it's possible there were some offers in the country he turned down after prior bad experiences.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017

I only watch some of his videos so I'm not in the loop on the background stuff but the documentary sounds interesting (paywalled?).

Chris felt out of his element here, but in a good way. It wouldn't really work to be snarky with Watanabe.

I wouldn't be surprised to see these two interact again in the future. This video is probably great publicity for Watanabe that brings attention to something he cares about personally. And I do believe it was Watanabe's team that approached Chris about doing a documentary, not the other way around.

Ah that's one of the things that I didn't realize I missed.

I know he's said he wants to do short films but I'd love it if he moved onto feature documentaries. He has stated a distaste for Japanese TV networks so it's possible there were some offers in the country he turned down after prior bad experiences.
He did make that video about disliking Japanese TV but that was about watching probably (haven't watched it).

He seems like he could make some interesting documentaries without restrictions one would normally find with a major network.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
His best work imo is the cycling around japan series he did before the pandemic.

Oct 26, 2017
Now see, these are great, very snarky and acerbic. Wife while watching: "Does he even like traveling?" "Does he even like Japan?"

To be fair, he almost killed himself with the workload at that point. Cycling all day, doing all kinds of wacky challenges, and then editing all night. He had been at it for weeks already cycling through half the country.

In hindsight, the premise of delivering daily videos while actually on the road, even if he had a crew doing the filming and B reel, was completely nuts.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017

I remember him saying he'd stay in Japan at least through the Olympics, but since then he's gotten a new fancy studio set up so it seems he may be in Japan for a long haul. It's a bit surprising to me, but having all of your friends and professional life in one place and your family far away is a situation I relate to too well.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry for the necrobump on this but YouTube recommended this video to me, I watched it and really enjoyed it and would love to see more.

What other videos do folks recommend from Chris?

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Sorry for the necrobump on this but YouTube recommended this video to me, I watched it and really enjoyed it and would love to see more.

They don't tend to be his most popular videos, but his "serious" documentary videos hit a similar vein to the Watanabe one. This one was a sort of follow-up to a video he did on the Fukashima clean-up a few years back that's worth a look - someone above posted it but that's it here:

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia

Anything from Journey Across Japan or Wacky Weekends is great, also his documentaries:

Wacky Weekends

Journey Across Japan: Escape to Fuji

Journey Across Japan: The Lost Islands

Journey Across Japan: 2000km Cycle Series

Abroad in Japan Documentaries

There's also great collabs with other channels like Tokyo Creative