• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
As far as English as a second language goes, the Dutch are about as close to native-English as it gets, and not at all representative of the typical level of English understood by the average non-native speaker.
The Dutch? I do think the Dutch have relatively many people with english as their second language but many Dutch people don't speak english at all or very little of it.. But okay, we like to generalize on Era. Most speak a couple of words of English at the very least.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why is this a "white fragility" thing? These people are jerkoffs. They read Kerouac and totally missed the point.

Palookah

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, it's not, and your instance that it is is pretty gross.

White Privilege is a real issue no matter how much you want to deny that.

White privilege is an issue - You'll be hard-pressed to point out where I said otherwise. The white priviledge inherent in this nonsense is clear, but is so far removed from how it influences systems like the US societal structures it's laughable and not worthy of the vitriol in this thread. (I'm expecting the next card to be whataboutism)

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Why is this a "white fragility" thing? These people are jerkoffs. They read Kerouac and totally missed the point.

The white fragility is referring to the posters in this thread who are butthurt that we're not also talking about POC who do this, despite obviously not having watched the video.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
The Dutch? I do think the Dutch have relatively many people with english as their second language but many Dutch people don't speak english at all or very little of it.. But okay, we like to generalize on Era. Most speak a couple of words of English at the very least.
The link I dug up real quick is self-reported, butI often see similar statistics.. Are they wrong?
conversation-english-eurobarometer.jpg

astro

Oct 25, 2017
White privilege is an issue - You'll be hard-pressed to point out where I said otherwise. The white priviledge inherent in this nonsense is clear, but is so far removed from how it influences systems like the US societal structures it's laughable and not worthy of the vitriol in this thread. (I'm expecting the next card to be whataboutism)

You didn't watch the video, did you?

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
These shitty go to images and one off replies hoping to shut down discussion and paint people as "privileged snowflakes" in one go can fuck off.

Thread title is practically begging for someone to wonder why its being so specific, yet what you DO have like clockwork is people who seem to be begging for someone to say something as an excuse for the dismissive/woke hashtag shame train to start rolling.
You didn't watch the video, did you? You are #NotAllWhitePeople'ing the shit out of this right now.

That image was literally screencapped from the video itself and you can even see the YouTube play bar at the bottom of it. Taht's hardly a "go to image"

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Literally never seen anyone other than white millennials do this - how is it even a question that it's about white privilege

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Hard to tell. Seems a bit much to me but i guess most can kinda manage. A lot of people overestimate their level of english. Of that i'm certain.
Oh, absolutely. Self-reported lokely means "half of this". People have no idea how good or bad their English is. Even the school system has no idea.
High school equivalent graduates in Austria are supposed to have an English level of B2.
One of the first exams when studying English (for teaching purposes or otherwise) at uni requires a little multiple choice exam that requires B2 English knowledge to pass. 1 out of 3 students (or something like that) fail.

I imagine the 90% is accurate for people living in the bigger urban areas, but I really doubt it holds up if you take all the rural areas into account as well.
Yeah, that too.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Literally never seen anyone other than white millennials do this - how is it even a question that it's about white privilege

Because white millennials would rather try to blame minorities first when their demographic is called out. Many would go along if you talk about "why black people do X" or "why asians do X" but the moment you go "why white people do X" it's all HOLD ON HOLD ON NOT ALL WHITE PEOPLE

Maxximo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw many in India and along the Santiago "trek".

I just treated them like any other beggar by ignoring them.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Surprised by how many people are defensive here. White people really have no idea how differently they are treated in comparison to other folk.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
User Banned (1 Day) Ignoring Modpost
I see "Dear White People" is a popular thing now. I'd suggest that whether White People deserve to hear a message or not, a really good way to have them shut down and not listen is to start with the words "Dear White People". Clearly puts people on the defensive.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I spent a few months in Sweden and was quite disappointed that everyone I encountered spoke excellent English
Wanted to practice the language? My advice is: it's not rude to ask to try the local language. People understand, they just want to help.

(or act like you don't speak English)

Italy is a lot lower than I thought!
Man. I just recently had a group of 7 Italian adults, who used hand gestures (not knowing that I got my Italian numbers down) to convery that they need 7 tickets.
Surely among the weaker countries when it comes to English. From my experience with tourists, the map at least gets the rankings right.

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest, as a PoC; I won't even travel to Europe east of around Austria. Such is the treatment I feel I'll receive, the fact thats an option without thought for white people speaks to the privilege they have. And this is as a well-off traveler.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This just sounds like a hippie or a drifter or like squeegee punk to me? It doesn't sound glamorous or anything, traveling with no money and trying to get by with begging. I've known plenty of people over the years who bailed on their middle class life to go wander the earth and I never really looked at it like they were fakers or priviledged liars or anything. It looked more like something I would never do in a million years, but they had weird adventurous wanderlust. I dunno... I don't think this is punching up?

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wanted to practice the language? My advice is: it's not rude to ask to try the local language. People understand, they just want to help.

(or act like you don't speak English)

Man. I just recently had a group of 7 Italian adults, who used hand gestures (not knowing that I got my Italian numbers down) to convery that they need 7 tickets.
Surely among the weaker countries when it comes to English. From my experience with tourists, the map at least gets the rankings right.

I have always felt that if you travel to another country and stay for any amount of time you should be able to say pleasantries and ask for directions and things like that in the local language. Maybe I'm crazy but I think it's part of the experience.

Dec 22, 2018
Surprised by how many people are defensive here. White people really have no idea how differently they are treated in comparison to other folk.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I'd treat them the same way I would any other panhandler. You need a pretty good sob story to get money out of me.

Maybe white panhandlers make more than black panhandlers though. That sounds believable to me.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I'll be honest, as a PoC; I won't even travel to Europe east of around Austria. Such is the treatment I feel I'll receive, the fact thats an option without thought for white people speaks to the privilege they have. And this is as a well-off traveler.
I always thought Finland shouldn't be a problem, but maybe that's just some rose colored glasses stuff?

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017
I spent a few months in Sweden and was quite disappointed that everyone I encountered spoke excellent English

Made it quite easy to travel there for work for me, haha. IIRC English is part of the school curriculum there and are constantly exposed to it.

Is it really that suprising

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know this had gone worldwide. I always knew people did this to travel around the US only.
Gross.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I have always felt that if you travel to another country and stay for any amount of time you should be able to say pleasantries and ask for directions and things like that in the local language. Maybe I'm crazy but I think it's part of the experience.

Yo, I had a group of Spanish kids, and their teacher, the person literally in charge of their holiday in Austria, didn't speak any German or English. Weird stuff, especially since without those languages, the place where I work loses most of its value.

I agree with you to a degree, because I feel that English as a lingua franca is absolutely fine. If your stay is touristy, I don't expect any German at all.

Made it quite easy to travel there for work for me, haha. IIRC English is part of the school curriculum there and are constantly exposed to it.
That's the case in Germany and in Austria too.. I think its a subs-not-dubs thing? But I may be confused

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
This is so scummy.
I can get traveling, running out of funds (shit happens after all) and then doing oddjobs to fund a return trip or to continue the trip.
But actual begging?
Just reverse the thing and you have enough material for a far right propaganda ads to last 10 years with "lazy brown people being beggar thieves ruining the country".
I fail to put into words how revolting this begapcking thing is.

Oct 25, 2017
Why single out white ones? I'm pretty sure there are beg packers who aren't white as well.

It's a lot easier to single out the white ones in countries that are much more homogenous and nonwhite. Plus there's the greater financial imbalance implicit, and then the cultural baggage of east/west global north/south stuff to factor in.

Probably true.

And while I haven't seen any, every single one of them were man bun wearing goobers and their hippie girlfriends.

Absent any actual numbers, this video and our experiences are pretty much Confirmation Bias: The Thread.

Either way, if you're young and abled-bodied, traveling around and begging to do it is gauche no matter the context, it just starts getting worse depending on who you are and where you're doing it.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I see "Dear White People" is a popular thing now. I'd suggest that whether White People deserve to hear a message or not, a really good way to have them shut down and not listen is to start with the words "Dear White People". Clearly puts people on the defensive.
We're only at this point because PoC are tired of tiptoeing around the feelings of white people in the first place. We've teaching the same lessons and having the same arguments for centuries so the issue isn't really in how the message is delivered. People are on the defensive because they don't want to listen to what we have to say to start with.

Dec 22, 2018
I didn't know this had gone worldwide. I always knew people did this to travel around the US only.
Gross.

Drifters/ transients aren't really anything new. I'm just surprised people would do this willingly. I mean, why the hell would anyone willingly travel around the world begging and scraping by to survive just to sightsee? Couldn't they just go to their public library and use google? That seems like it would be a lot cheaper and safer to me. People are weird.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
We're only at this point because PoC are tired of tiptoeing around the feelings of white people in the first place. We've teaching the same lessons and having the same arguments for centuries so the issue isn't really in how the message is delivered. People are on the defensive because they don't want to listen to what we have to say to start with.
Or in gif form
white_fragility_by_digi_matrix-dawhqyf.gif

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I just left a hipster coffee shop in downtown LA. There was a group of young black begpackers from africa asking people for money and they told me they were making thousands of dollars per hour and loved trump.
LOL super subtle and kinda obscure if you are not a political nerd

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Drifters/ transients aren't really anything new. I'm just surprised people would do this willingly. I mean, why the hell would anyone willingly travel around the world begging and scraping by to survive just to sightsee? Couldn't they just go to their public library and use google? That seems like itbwould be a lot cheaper and safer to me. People are weird.
From what I've heard you can make quite a bit of money begging if you know how to do it. Especially if it's a group of people pooling their money together. They get enough to travel and eat comfortably.
I guess it's their mindset that it's easier to beg than work. Which I suppose it is. If you feel no shame or embarrassment then I imagine it's an easy thing to do.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
please tell me her self righteous sass and headbob are just an act, talk about obnoxious

but i agree with the video's point, these travelers should have brought more money or budgeted better, otherwise they're essentially taking money that could have gone to people who are borderline destitute

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
look guys, say what you will about the 'it's not just white people' crowd, but you've gotta admit, you can't travel to any North American city without tripping over dozens upper-middle class people from Jakarta and Bangladesh selling hugs and Polaroids of tourist attractions next to actual homeless panhandlers. total parity!

Dec 22, 2018
From what I've heard you can make quite a bit of money begging if you know how to do it. Especially if it's a group of people pooling their money together. They get enough to travel and eat comfortably.
I guess it's their mindset that it's easier to beg than work. Which I suppose it is. If you feel no shame or embarrassment then I imagine it's an easy thing to do.

I can kind of see people making some decent cash by taking advantage of overly generous/ compassionate people.

My God though, you would have to have zero shame to do something like begpacking. My self-esteem would be at rock bottom just begging to survive. Begging to travel? I can't even imagine doing something like that. I would hate myself.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
look guys, say what you will about the 'it's not just white people' crowd, but you've gotta admit, you can't travel to any North American city without tripping over dozens upper-middle class people from Jakarta and Bangladesh selling hugs and Polaroids of tourist attractions next to actual homeless panhandlers. total parity!
I see a lot of veterans begging for money because the state failed them in Az but I have actually never seen anyone do that in the Grand Canyon or even near it.
Speaking about minorities trying to get cash near tourist attractions, you have a lot of that in France and they're selling stuffs like keychains or whatever instead of just begging like beggars. And they're also not middle class people from Africa doing that while they could totally spare the cash for a more normal travel either.
Like wtf is this shit.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
This just sounds like a hippie or a drifter or like squeegee punk to me? It doesn't sound glamorous or anything, traveling with no money and trying to get by with begging. I've known plenty of people over the years who bailed on their middle class life to go wander the earth and I never really looked at it like they were fakers or priviledged liars or anything. It looked more like something I would never do in a million years, but they had weird adventurous wanderlust. I dunno... I don't think this is punching up?

I just don't get it. They had enough money to fly across the world. I don't know if you guys get charged the same, but it sure as shit ain't cheap to book a flight from South East Asia to America. And lets not pretend begging will earn you enough cash for a return ticket. I don't even know how you can claim to be poor considering how strong the dollar/euro is compared to our currency. What the average American makes in a month can feed a Malaysian/Indonesian for a year.

It's just gross.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Just watched the video..

Wow I had no idea this is a thing. How incredibly selfish and ignorant do you have to be to beg for and accept money that would otherwise be given to locals who are fucking starving/dying.. so you can travel.

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Even I was homeless, I didn't feel comfortable asking for money, but I see able bodied, employed people on Twitter all the time asking for a handout.