• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Never heard about this, what a bunch of privileged assholes, the video points out well why what they are doing is so messed up.

If you don't have the money to travel, to home.

Deleted member 27246

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I heard about this a year or two ago. It is fucking pathetic, especially when they are travelling to countries where poverty is a huge problem and there are actual beggars that need the money to not starve.

Oct 28, 2017
A Facebook friend of mine often posts updates on begpackers he sees on the streets of Seoul. Meanwhile I've never seen any in Japan. Maybe the police in Korea just don't give a shit whereas the Japanese ones are itching for something to do (so long as it doesn't involve going after corruption)

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: drive-by attempt to derail
Why single out white ones? I'm pretty sure there are beg packers who aren't white as well.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
One of those guys (with the leg condition) in the video is notorious for this:

Infographic.jpg

Clay Davis

Jan 8, 2018
I have sadly noticed a lot of similar behaviour here in Hong Kong. I helped one out once and my girlfriend was furious, she echoed the same sentiments of the video.

The one I helped claimed to have lost his passport, but I've since realised this is a common tactic some of them use to try and elicit sympathy and money. Another tactic is to perform music shows near or in MTR stations or claim they are trying to raise money for wedding rings.

As the title already mentions it, I don't feel so uncomfortable saying it, they all tend to be white.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've seen any of these people here in Bangkok, but I don't hang out at Khao San Road or any other farang haunts. Maybe Vern has seen them?

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
People complained when this used to be a thing on The Amazing Race. A team would run out of money and beg locals for cash. Eventually the show just stopped shortchanging contestants for the most part to avoid this, and if a team was short on cash they'd ask other teams or find tourists to ask for money.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
I'd have more respect for their life choices if they're more willing to do odd jobs or manual labor in exchange of money/food/shelter.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd have more respect for their life choices if they're more willing to do odd jobs or manual labor in exchange of money/food/shelter.
Yes. Farm work stays are an actual thing. You work on a farm, get a free place to stay.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
I thought immigration (?) would ask people about their return. I've seen people refused entry into Canada because of it. I feel like I'd flip if I ever saw one of these people while on vacation tho.

I have sadly noticed a lot of similar behaviour here in Hong Kong. I helped one out once and my girlfriend was furious, she echoed the same sentiments of the video.

The one I helped claimed to have lost his passport, but I've since realised this is a common tactic some of them use to try and elicit sympathy and money.
Aren't embassies suppose to help in these sort of situations?

Why single out white ones? I'm pretty sure there are beg packers who aren't white as well.
lol

Oct 30, 2017
People travelling to places with no money. They just beg and hopefully someone generous will help them. Rinse and repeat.

Ah - thought so but didn't want to make the assumption as there's another type I've bumped into.

He hiked/backpacked everywhere with his camping gear and took lifts/accommodation/food if it was offered to him but never went out of his way to look for it

Taki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought immigration (?) would ask people about their return. I've seen people refused entry into Canada because of it. I feel like I'd flip if I ever saw one of these people while on vacation tho.

Aren't embassies suppose to help in these sort of situations?

lol
Interesting.

When I landed in Berlin, the immigration guy never asked to see a return ticket. I also ran into backpackers with zero return ticket because they weren't sure when they would return.

I think it depends on your country of origin. If you're coming from a poorer country, then I think they're more likely to flag you as an immigration risk.

But since I was coming from the USA, maybe they didn't bother.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Most asians (like myself) will know about this because this is prevalent in asia...i.e. young white millenials travel to asia (Thailand, Malaysia, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore) with barely any money and attempts to beg in the host country just to fund their travelling budget.

Suffice to say....most asians (like myself) are not amused.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
These people are assholes. Like someone said esp when they go to poor countries when a large population themselves is actually starving, it makes it that much worse.

Putting an image here doesn't really mean jack shit. His? point still rings true.

This is a picture from the video, explaining the issue at length. Maybe it would have helped you guys to actually watch it than putting your white fragility on display without even having engaged with the criticism.

Taki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most asians (like myself) will know about this because this is prevalent in asia...i.e. young white millenials travel to asia (Thailand, Malaysia, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore) with barely any money and attempts to beg in the host country just to fund their travelling budget.

Suffice to say....most asians (like myself) are not amused.
If they want to travel long term in Asia, they should look into tutoring English.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Driving thread derailment and antagonizing other members
This is a picture from the video, explaining the issue at length. Maybe it would have helped you guys to actually watch it than putting your white fragility on display without even having engaged with the criticism.
Can you read the title? I believe it's in English.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Can you read the title? I believe it's in English.

Yes? It's about white people begging in poor(er) countries to finance their travels. With one person's only reply being "BUT WHY SINGLE OUT WHITE GUYS?!" Which I made fun of, because it's an embarassing display of white fragility. Not sure what your point is.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yes? It's about white people begging in poor(er) countries to finance their travels. With one person's only reply being "BUT WHY SINGLE OUT WHITE GUYS?!" Which I made fun of, because it's an embarassing display of white fragility. Not sure what your point is.
Well he was right. The idea that only white people are doing this is beyond stupid and pointing it out has nothing to do with insecurity. You just had an pointless image and have now wasted 3 minutes of my life with your insane mentality. What a waste of time and I realized that this will only derail the topic.

Ogami Itto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well he was right. The idea that only white people are doing this is beyond stupid and pointing it out has nothing to do with insecurity. You just had an pointless image and have now wasted 3 minutes of my life with your insane mentality. What a waste of time and I realized that this will only derail the topic.

So you saw people who aren't white doing this in your country? What were they?

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen a bunch of them while I was a backpacker myself. Some of them are just selling "hand made" shit or photos they took, which is less obnoxious than blatantly begging for money but still feels super entitled.

I mean, by many Asian countries standards these travelers are super wealthy, how the fuck do they not feel shameful to ask local people for money? You "can't afford" your travels? So fuck off into work and save some money, nobody needs to fund your trip cause you're a lazy bitch.

Miles X

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I think he's saying that it might not be just white people doing this, rather than not all white people. But I mean, the latter is an obvious. Why get so offended?

OT personal opinion but I can't stand these "I'm going travelling to find myself" which is probably in the same vein as these people.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
https://qz.com/quartzy/1192690/begpackers-the-trend-of-westerners-traveling-without-money/

Add this to your post op, I think this should give ya some better context.

Bottom line
The ethical implications, many critics point out, are clear: Intentionally touching down in a country with no financial means to support yourself effectively guarantees you will be a drain on the local economy. It is perhaps distasteful at best and unethical at worst. In addition, consuming food, water, space, and utilities without spending cash also diverts resources away from locals who need (and deserve) them far more.

This isn't like refugee or coming for work, this is asking for special treatment because you need to see the world or some shits

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
That's not always a problem. I know some Dutch guys who are actually teaching English in Indonesian (private) schools.

tell it to them then because clearly the group mentioned as beg-packers are not interested in doing any work other than begging...

it's less of a problem in singapore & hk now but they are buttloads of them in thailand, indonesia, malaysia and taiwan.

Deleted member 27246

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
tell it to them then because clearly the group mentioned as beg-packers are not interested in doing any work other than begging...

it's less of a problem in singapore & hk now but they are buttloads of them in thailand, indonesia, malaysia and taiwan.

I have no interest to communicate with beg-packers whatsoever. I am just explaining to you that you not always have to be a native speaker to become an Enligh teacher.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
I had no idea this was a thing. I've seen western people playing music or doing tricks while begging, but mostly in European countries, not in Asia. You must be some special kind of asshole to ask money from people that are probably poorer than you to do a leisure activity. You're not an expat trying to make a living, you're just a tourist.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When I was in Peru I saw a few groups of different nationalities doing this. But the ones that stood out were a group of girls from Spain. Nice bags and clothes. Busking on the street with a sign talking about how they had run out of money etc. And got to talking and flirting with me and my brother to try and get our help etc. Needless to say I didn't have all that much sympathy.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9838

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You guys need to walk around your cities more. This kind of counter culture is everywhere. I used to hang out with people who did this when I was in university. We would call them traveling kids. They are like sort of anarchy hippies and they usually have a dog or two with them. You can see them all over LA, lower Manhattan and Portland.