• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
Ugh. I got in at $35, seeing it nearly double in 2 years is frustrating. I will probably watch Comedy Central occasionally but I would have preferred to not get these channels and keep it at 50.

I'll probably reevaluate whether it makes sense to keep doing this. I subscribe to:

Neflix
Youtube TV
Hulu
Disney+
Espn+
NBC Sports Premier League Package dealie
Amazon Prime

Internet + Youtube TV is now $125 itself, I could probably get an intro cable package for that

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Don't the channels do that themselves, or are you saying youtube scrubs stuff automatically?

Yes that's what I'm saying, but wasn't being clear. The channels in the package include those basic ones which don't allow R-rated material to be shown. My parents love that, and told me it was a cheaper solution than going with a Comcast cable box subscription to get the same thing.

This price hike though, no idea if they'll keep it.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shit. My folks had me set them up with going cable-less with YouTube TV back when it was $35 a month because cable was too expensive. Now they're right back to where they started. Also I really hate the phrase "to stay competitive" when you raise prices. If you're trying to stay competitive it should be the other way around where you lower prices. At least let users pay for the channels they want, not introduce more that people won't watch and then charge them more for it.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Yes that's what I'm saying, but wasn't being clear. The channels in the package include those basic ones which don't allow R-rated material to be shown. My parents love that, and told me it was a cheaper solution than going with a Comcast cable box subscription to get the same thing.

This price hike though, no idea if they'll keep it.

That sounds like basic cable, though. I really wish setting up a PC DVR wasn't such a hassle because it seems to me like they could save a lot of money (and still get HD) with just OTA.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
The base plan gives you only 50 hours of DVR storage and you can't fast forward through commercials. You need to add another $10 your service to get their enhanced DVR with 200 hours to get the ability to fast forward through commercials. Conversely, YouTube TV is unlimited storage included with the difference being things will disappear after 9 months. What's nice about YouTube TV's DVR is if you like syndicated shows, you'll pretty much get entire show series on demand with YouTube TV. Say like Seinfeld, you add it and since it's constantly in rotation, it will eventually have the entire series all the time in your DVR.

Thanks for the information.

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. I got in at $35, seeing it nearly double in 2 years is frustrating. I will probably watch Comedy Central occasionally but I would have preferred to not get these channels and keep it at 50.

I'll probably reevaluate whether it makes sense to keep doing this. I subscribe to:

Neflix
Youtube TV
Hulu
Disney+
Espn+
NBC Sports Premier League Package dealie
Amazon Prime

Internet + Youtube TV is now $125 itself, I could probably get an intro cable package for that
Nah, to get the same level of channels it's $150 for internet + tv at Comcast and that doesn't include the crap ton of fees they charge.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
That sounds like basic cable, though. I really wish setting up a PC DVR wasn't such a hassle because it seems to me like they could save a lot of money (and still get HD) with just OTA.

I tried OTA with one of those powered antennas, but it was super spotty. Could be where we live.

I'd love to get them off this service and onto something cheaper, especially given their needs are so small

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Then they should drop those too. Way back when I started subbing it had maybe half the channels, no CBS, and was 35 dollars and I was happy. So long as services like YTTV concede to every demand by the Viacom's then prices will always go up. They are giving themselves too much credit when they say they are negotiating.

You may be fine with it but other people would also drop if channels got taken away too. There is no easy answer to this and CBS/Viacom channels do carry weight with people wanting their content.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
You may be fine with it but other people would also drop if channels got taken away too. There is no easy answer to this and CBS/Viacom channels do carry weight with people wanting their content.
I think it would be interesting to see what would happen if one day YTTV dropped all Viacom channels and emailed their customers asking if they would pay 15$ more a month to get them back.
TV service through Google Fiber is also really expensive. Or at least, was when we signed up for fiber. Looks like now they don't even offer it anymore here.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

Yeah, the rest of the Viacom channels that weren't there before is probably not a huge deal to people already subscribed. Losing CBS would be. Even though available OTA, people aren't going to want to bother with that when other services have such a basic channel (trust me, I went through this with ABC and Directv).

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
That sucks. I went with Comcast because it became cheaper to get cable & internet packaged together than it was to have a TV service (aside from Sling) and internet separately. But this was always going to be the result. No way could those products stay at the prices they were offering.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Also I really hate the phrase "to stay competitive" when you raise prices. If you're trying to stay competitive it should be the other way around where you lower prices. At least let users pay for the channels they want, not introduce more that people won't watch and then charge them more for it.

Stay competitive is regarding the content. People are over simplifying the hold that the content owners have over the service providers.

Lowering prices, keeping the prices static, offering a la carte, heck even just keeping existing channel lineups static.. all at the whim of the content owners.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Think I'm out when this happens. I mainly wanted it for sports and ya obviously that's not going real well so I can't say it's worth it even at the price now.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Yes, but what about watching on phones and tablets? Right now with YouTube TV I can pull up local channels right now on my phone. Can I do something similar with any other streaming service? Because I'd really like to cancel YouTube TV
I want to say you can probably do that with Plex (need PlexPass for DVR functionality) but setup would be non trivial (if you want to access remotely).

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I pay less for linear cable (hundreds of channels + HBO) and a DVR in NYC. Streaming future indeed.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
This sucks but it's still cheaper than what I had with direcTV, which was $100 a month with credits basically.

As others have mentioned, the benefits for streaming TV is basically just convince over price now. I'm not restricted to my main TV where the cable jack in the wall is. I can open YTYV on my iPad and watch from anywhere, including having my DVR while traveling.

That's what cord cutting is now basically. No longer a price saving measure because these companies refuse to allow for ala cart because they know how much money they'll lose.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
This sucks but it's still cheaper than what I had with direcTV, which was $100 a month with credits basically.

As others have mentioned, the benefits for streaming TV is basically just convince over price now. I'm not restricted to my main TV where the cable jack in the wall is. I can open YTYV on my iPad and watch from anywhere, including having my DVR while traveling.

That's what cord cutting is now basically. No longer a price saving measure because these companies refuse to allow for ala cart because they know how much money they'll lose.

Ala carte will never be what people imagine it to be in their heads. They're not going to take 120 channels, divide it among $60 and you pay 50 cents per channel. You're going to pay more for less and even when ala carte is put on the table, people balk at it when it comes to us in the form of streaming services. What do you think Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Disney+, HBO Now, CBS All Access, Peacock, etc is? That's your ala carte and people still complain that now they have too many things to get and that it all adds up.

What people really mean when they want ala carte is they want everything for $10 and that was always going to be an unrealistic and unreasonable demand.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
It sucks since I'm kinda stuck. I'd almost rather get rid of Netflix and stay with YTV because I watch racing and wrestling and stuff like that way more than Netflix since I buy BRs and stuff for that side of things. Gf and I are really into Motorsports and those races are long sometimes so we really have liked all of YTVs features. Damnit.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Fucking hell. I swapped to them after Vue went under. Time to look elsewhere.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I've had it at $49.99 for a while, and I'm guessing it's time to cancel before my next payment comes out. :(

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
I wonder if we're going to get the History channel. Ancient Alien marathons are the one thing I've been missing since I got YTTV.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty brutal. We just switched to Youtube TV when Vue went under. While it's probably the best such service out there, it'll be hard to justify keeping it, particularly with live sports in their current state. I can probably get my wife her trash reality TV fix for less.

It's well past the point where having separate (Comcast, my only option) internet + these streaming service subs is more expensive than an internet + cable bundle would be, at least under promo contract pricing. I've mostly stuck with this option out of principle, and not wanting to deal with contract pricing and cable boxes. Does anyone have any thoughts on how viable it is to use an Xfinity sub purely through apps (say, on an Apple TV) at this point, without renting/buying their cable box?

Stay competitive is regarding the content. People are over simplifying the hold that the content owners have over the service providers.

Lowering prices, keeping the prices static, offering a la carte, heck even just keeping existing channel lineups static.. all at the whim of the content owners.

Yeah. Ultimately, whether you're talking about traditional TV or services like this, it's all the same massive media companies that own and license all the content. And there's nothing about these services vs. the traditional that would force them to change their business model or just decide to make less money.

I imagine Youtube TV is mostly a land-grab play for Google, wanting to grab users for another advertising surface area, so I doubt this increase is about their own margins. I'd expect this is basically just them passing on whatever Viacom is charging them.

(À la carte is a nice dream, but it was never realistic economically. The licencors make more money by bundling stuff—the stuff you want with stuff you don't, the popular stuff with the more niche. They make more money by having e.g. half as many subscribers paying three times as much for a bunch of channels they don't need. And everyone is drawn in by a different mix of niche channels. If they actually tried à la carte, what would probably happen is a bunch of niche stuff—maybe your preferred niche stuff—would die off because it doesn't justify itself stand-alone, and the prices for individual channels would end up being a lot higher than you'd want/expect. Again, they're not just going to chose to make less money unless they're forced to by some kind of market disruption. The Netflix model, where the distributor directly owns all or most of the content is how you actually see real difference in pricing.)

Any one know when these channels coming

I went to look just now and didn't see them, but then remembered I had a custom channel order/view set for my guide. When I went into the settings for that, the channels were there, just not selected. Once I added them there, they showed up in the guide.

Last edited:

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Hulu TV for me until they fuck it up as well.

Man if I didn't like Live Sports(when a pandemic isn't preventing them) I could cut cable completely.

RGamer2009

Oct 28, 2017
Yeap we are dropping too. Cant justify the price hike and the amount of actual stuff we watch on there.

Any other live internet cable alternatives? I heard Hulu might have some live channels.

OP
OP
MrBob

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I'm laughing right now because if you hit the ? button on the youtube TV page in a browser you get this message.

wP0eHb7.png

You can at least fill out a form to tell Google how unhappy you are about the price increase, and they'll just file it away and ignore it.

element

Oct 27, 2017
That is disappointing. But their family sharing makes it still a value for how my family is using it.

shadewolf

Oct 27, 2017
Well this sucks, definitely going to look at alternatives now because its getting ridiculous.

Anyone familiar with Philo? Seems a reasonably priced alternative if willing to give up Sports and Local.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
Even with my myriad of streaming services of content I actually want to watch it's still not even close to $65 a month, jesus.

DarkMagician

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm cancelling this now. Kept it for the news channels, and I don't really need it anymore. Good bye YouTube TV.

Oct 28, 2017
This is still the best one of th see types of services. Also, google has to know people are taking advantage of the family sharing to spread cost right?

I was looking at Hulu and they hit you with fees for DVR etc?

For lots of folks these services aren't going to make sense when compared to a full cable bundle.

Thankfully, I live somewhere that sees tons of competition and pay only $40 for gigabit internet.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
This is still the best one of th see types of services. Also, google has to know people are taking advantage of the family sharing to spread cost right?

I was looking at Hulu and they hit you with fees for DVR etc?

For lots of folks these services aren't going to make sense when compared to a full cable bundle.

Thankfully, I live somewhere that sees tons of competition and pay only $40 for gigabit internet.
Wait - they don't track the family stuff by IP? If so I will continue on and gift that to my mom and mother-in-law

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Fucking shit. I almost dropped them when they lost the local Fox affiliates (mainly for MLB games), but that didn't happen due to COVID, but now? Not sure why I would keep them. Thinking of going to Hulu + TV for fox affiliates and I guess that would save the cost for Hulu w/ ads since it is baked in.

Anyone have input on HULU live tv?

Oct 28, 2017
Fucking shit. I almost dropped them when they lost the local Fox affiliates (mainly for MLB games), but that didn't happen due to COVID, but now? Not sure why I would keep them. Thinking of going to Hulu + TV for fox affiliates and I guess that would save the cost for Hulu w/ ads since it is baked in.

Anyone have input on HULU live tv?

In my opinion the Hulu live TV stuff is expensive if you need more than one screen and DVR features as that's not built into the live price. If you don't need that added stuff it might be cheaper. I think the Hulu live interface is also terrible but others don't. Whatever works for you.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
In my opinion the Hulu live TV stuff is expensive if you need more than one screen and DVR features as that's not built into the live price. If you don't need that added stuff it might be cheaper. I think the Hulu live interface is also terrible but others don't. Whatever works for you.
Never thought I'd want cable again haha ;(

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I just went to the Hulu price plan and yeeeeah, YouTube is by far a better deal for me. Hulu would end up costing the same or more to get less features and stations

Here are Hulu's prices now

help.hulu.com

Hulu Help

Find solutions, set-up instructions, troubleshooting steps, and helpful tips specific to you.

Hulu + Live TV - $54.99
Hulu (No Ads) + Live TV - $60.99

Unlimited Screen add on - $9.99
Enhanced Cloud DVR add on - $9.99
Or get both for $14.98