• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bigsnack

May 9, 2018
Los Angeles
I've worked for cable / TV for almost 20 years. Prices go up due to content providers raking the aggregators over the coals. I don't think the general public understands how much of a loss the aggregator is eating to give the customer initial discount pricing. I know it's very easy to blame the aggregator, and yes some of their billing tactics feel very "bait and switch", but I think time will end up being kinder to some of the cord based options out there. There really aren't many ways around the expense of of the content providers...

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
What a rip off.

People really getting cable esque used to that ecosystem huh? I think Hulu (no ads) + Netflix + HBO max + Disney+ is like $52. I could do CBS too and include a portion of what I pay for prime for shipping anyway and still be under. So much more content.

True Underdog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I cancelled when the virus ended sports... Probably not going back now.

I'm in the same boat. I only really cared for this stuff because it gave a pretty broad access to sports channels. With price increases like this, and my insistence to not use cable, I don't see myself going back.

I've noticed that as I've gotten older, I care less and less about sports anyway, which is a bummer.

OP
OP
MrBob

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I've just looked around at Sling, Hulu, etc, and nothing comes close to the amount of channels + local channels + being able to watch on any device and not have to pay to rent extra equipment. In the end, it's still cheaper for me to have YouTube TV than to move to a Comcast bundle after you figure in their taxes and equipment fees.

Look into Fubo TV. They are getting ESPN and other channels this summer. I'm guessing a price increase will be happening, but we will see. Funny how their website now has a banner promoting the new upcoming channels. Guess they are getting a lot of views right now.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
It is limited to 30 hours for DVR.

FuboTV does have NFL Network and is supposedly getting ESPN/Disney networks this summer. No word whether there would be a price increase for that.

Just read you have to pay extra to fast forward through commercials, that's one of the main benefits of having a DVR.

Why can't we have nice things

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Might have to switch over to Hulu with live TV for $55. I heard someone mention there DVR isn't good, what's wrong with it?

The base plan gives you only 50 hours of DVR storage and you can't fast forward through commercials. You need to add another $10 your service to get their enhanced DVR with 200 hours to get the ability to fast forward through commercials. Conversely, YouTube TV is unlimited storage included with the difference being things will disappear after 9 months. What's nice about YouTube TV's DVR is if you like syndicated shows, you'll pretty much get entire show series on demand with YouTube TV. Say like Seinfeld, you add it and since it's constantly in rotation, it will eventually have the entire series all the time in your DVR.

Dr. Rank

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to switch to Fubu in the fall ( for red zone) but now that's it's cheaper (at least temporarily) I am definitely switching at the end of this billing cycle. Hope the addition of the Disney channels doesn't jack up the price too much.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
That's a wild price per month, it's more than any random person's potpourri of streaming services combined.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Look into Fubo TV. They are getting ESPN and other channels this summer. I'm guessing a price increase will be happening, but we will see. Funny how their website now has a banner promoting the new upcoming channels. Guess they are getting a lot of views right now.
Just looked, but unfortunately, they don't have local stations and I don't want to be switching inputs and using HD antennas to watch local stuff (also wouldn't be able to DVR anything on them).

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I'm glad I quit when Jeopardy! finished its season.

It was going to be temporary, but I doubt I'll ever subscribe again now. With all FX shows airing on Hulu now a traditional cable package has really lost much of its appeal to me.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
my CW network needs something thats beyond the usual 50 mile antennas. but its hard to get it in HD even when you got something stronger.
You are correct, I forget some people live out further than me. I am a city dweller.
Yup. In my case I'm not even that far from the antennas for most of the major networks like ABC, CBS, etc. They're all clustered southeast of downtown and about 25 miles from my house as the crow flies, but living in the hill country makes that a lot harder. A lot of friends in closer to town even just a few miles can use an antenna without issue and get everything, though, with just a crummy indoor flat. I have a Terk I used and kiiiind of got some signal for a bit, but it's incredibly impractical where I had to put it and the signal was unreliable. If it had worked I'd probably not be using YTTV at all (well, wife may disagree...) and just had the antenna hooked directly to a Tablo (which I tried out a while back and it worked fine).

Some areas and some channels only.

Watch local network channels on SLING TV | SLING TV Help

Learn how local programming works on Sling TV, and discover how to watch local broadcast channels in your market. can I get local channels do I get local channels do I get locals how do I get my local how can I get local how do I get regular channels nbc cbs abc fox the cw pbs network...
If you have a device it works well on, Sling is okay (you get what you pay for). My problems with it, when we were using it, were ridiculous. The apps aren't at all unified across devices (AppleTV 4K, Roku P+, Xbox One, in my case at the time), the service drops quality constantly, it goes to a black screen when changing quality and A/V goes out of sync a lot. It was not something I recommend to people unless they've fixed any of those problems or you just don't care about the frustration of them versus the money you spend. That and you have to pay for DVR and a lot of channels are missing that "we" used.

SinOfHeart

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Dang that is too much, I was holding onto it since there were a couple shows I was watching. But even on those the recordings it was doing for Stargirl were just awful quality I couldn't bring myself to watch them (figured I'd just wait for them to be somewhere else uploaded in more watchable state). And with no sports that was really the only thing I had it for. Will have to determine what I'm going to do whenever the NBA starts back up again (I seriously wish there was a way to just pay some price to just stream NBA games including local ones).

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I've just looked around at Sling, Hulu, etc, and nothing comes close to the amount of channels + local channels + being able to watch on any device and not have to pay to rent extra equipment. In the end, it's still cheaper for me to have YouTube TV than to move to a Comcast bundle after you figure in their taxes and equipment fees.
For 61 dollars a month I am not able to get my dad Hulu Live with all his locals plus a ton of other channels that he already had on Youtube. And on top of that he also gets Hulu without Ads. Only downgrade I see is the unlimited DVR, which he wasn't using much on YTV anyway. This appears to be a much better deal and the streaming quality is as good as YTTV.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The viacom channels lost a lot of "value" when HBO Max was introduced as well. Sure they won't get content right away, but a ton of their content is available on Max. This is probably by design to push people to Max, this increase is more than a Max sub.

I feel similarly with the Disney channels and Disney Plus.

OP
OP
MrBob

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Just looked, but unfortunately, they don't have local stations and I don't want to be switching inputs and using HD antennas to watch local stuff (also wouldn't be able to DVR anything on them).
Weird. They should have NBC, CBS, and Fox for you with abc coming with Disney channels. Wonder why you don't get them.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Funny thing is it's still cheaper then Comcast once you are out their new customer promo. People don't want more channels. Give me a $30 price and select any 20-30 channels i want out of the list. I'll probably only need 10 to be honest.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I think streaming TV services still have the advantage over paying for cable(/satellite) in the long term because of their subscription-based nature (no contracts) and you don't have to pay for the usual company equipment/maintenance fees...

...but damn do these constant price hikes across the board erode those advantages. They now typically cost as much as getting cable TV packages without the aforementioned extra fees at this rate.

Sling seems to be the only exception to the rule because unlike everyone else, they've been in the streaming TV game longer and they don't provide a standardized single broad package of basic cable channels.

Last edited:

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
I wish they would start offering tiers. All of these additional channels that keep hiking up the prices are channels I just don't care about having.

I just want sports, news, and movies.

The crazy thing is $65/mo is still cheaper than what I was paying for Spectrum Basic Cable at $70/mo, and I get more channels.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018

I'd rather keep paying $50 a month and not take all those extra channels. There isn't even much to watch on cable tv besides endless returns of reality shows on most channels. I'm going to convince the wife OTA, netflix, hulu, disney plus, and hbo max is all we need. That still comes out cheaper than channel packages.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Funny thing is it's still cheaper then Comcast once you are out their new customer promo. People don't want more channels. Give me a $30 price and select any 20-30 channels i want out of the list. I'll probably only need 10 to be honest.

The problem is, if you want true ala carte, it is very likely the channels you are most interested in would cost way way more and the channels you don't care about would cost pennies. And the providers would want to charge cable companies by the bundle because they know that, say, ESPN is a very important channel and, say, Freeform is lower on the list. The only way this works out is if you love the unpopular channels (and if you don't want sports, I'd argue you really don't need a live TV subscription package).

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
It costs as much as a cable now lol.

With so many streaming service to choose from, who the fck at Google think this is a good idea?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Remember if you are cancelling they send you a survey link in the email.

So don't get new channels.

The thing though is Viacom is also CBS and it was part of renewing those contracts too. So not adding the new channels meant also possible issues with existing channels that they already offered.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The thing though is Viacom is also CBS and it was part of renewing those contracts too. So not adding the new channels meant also possible issues with existing channels that they already offered.
Then they should drop those too. Way back when I started subbing it had maybe half the channels, no CBS, and was 35 dollars and I was happy. So long as services like YTTV concede to every demand by the Viacom's then prices will always go up. They are giving themselves too much credit when they say they are negotiating.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Hulu Live + Hulu with no commercials has gotten very expensive.. we'll probably all have to transition back to cable packages soon. There isn't really a savings at this point anyway sadly.

In my opinion the streaming services still offer added convenience vs. cable.

My issue with Hulu anything is that their interface has always been nonsensical to me.