• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Today, we are taking another step in our efforts to curb hate and harassment by removing more conspiracy theory content used to justify real-world violence.

Managing misinformation and harmful conspiracy theories is challenging because the content is always shifting and evolving. To address this kind of content effectively, it's critical that our teams continually review and update our policies and systems to reflect the frequent changes. Today, we are taking another step in our efforts to curb hate and harassment by removing more conspiracy theory content used to justify real-world violence. This builds on our work over the last several years to strengthen and evolve our policies and enforcement — work that has been organized around four pillars: removing violative content, reducing the spread of harmful misinformation, raising authoritative voices, and rewarding trusted creators.

blog.youtube

Managing harmful conspiracy theories on YouTube

Today, we are taking another step in our efforts to curb hate and harassment by removing more conspiracy theory content used to justify real-world violence.

In before "too little, too late", but I guess its progress.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
These mother fuckers

Only acting NOW after the damage is done?

The sheer amount of "deprogramming" work that needs to be done at this point is astronomical

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
They're all scared shitless that Warren is going to come regulate the hell out of their platforms.

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Good. Hopefully these complicit companies get the hammer brought down on them anyway.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
good.

oh shit, they are gonna remove things like the Dan Olson documentary won't they?

DAMMIT.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll just say this is a long time coming and I'm glad its finally happened. Hopefully they start cracking down on the other seriously problematic parts of youtube's content and userbase in the near future as well. I doubt that last part but one can hope.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These mother fuckers

Only acting NOW after the damage is done?

The sheer amount of "deprogramming" work that needs to be done at this point is astronomical
The damage hasn't even started. If FB and YouTube were to continue on their current trajectories, we'd be in a living hell in 5-10 years.

Is it way too late? Yes.

Are these absolutely crucial changes that can still make a massive positive impact to our world? Yes.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I love how big tech waited until *2 weeks* before a probable landslide and inevitable oversight to say "hey, maybe we could do more to slow down Nazis and terrorists".

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Now for hosting, ISPs and DNS providers to start getting skittish fucking with this type of content too.

Also WhatsApp and similar things.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
tfw you look at the polls and realize the dems are probably gonna win and now you have to scramble to try and ~regulate yourself~ before they do it for you even though you've let this shit fester for years, poisoning the minds of god knows how many people, all while demonstrating that you could have done this at any time and instead chose not to

Mr Coopz

Jul 21, 2019
YouTube alt right and conspiratorial content is a fucking disease. These cunts like YouTube and Facebook need fucking sorting out. They've caused so much untold damage it's frightening.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how well they'll actually do it, considering some of the "safe for kids" stuff I've seen marked that really isn't on the service.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not enough.

After watching that Social Dilemma doc the core of the issue is simple.

The algorithms need to change. There is just too much financial incentive to push people into these bubbles.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
They've let this shit grow and fester for so long I have little faith that they're willing to fully follow through on this. We'll see I guess.

youtubes gonna have to take down 50% of rogans shows.
also gonna have to take down like 95% of coast to coast am// conspriacy shows
Exactly, this shit is already entrenched in the mainstream now.

Just like Facebook though, I have no idea why so many people think this is directly related to the threat of regulation. There's no scenario where the government can force Youtube to take down these videos.

Oct 25, 2017
Every social media platform before Dem regulation:

NGN0pys.gif

Oct 29, 2017
tfw you look at the polls and realize the dems are probably gonna win and now you have to scramble to try and ~regulate yourself~ before they do it for you even though you've let this shit fester for years, poisoning the minds of god knows how many people, all while demonstrating that you could have done this at any time and instead chose not to
This is what it comes down to. It's so obvious.

I hope they come for Joe Rogan. That dude is doing sooo much harm.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The tech companies staved off regulation for four years but came far closer than they would have expected at the start when they took their hands off the wheel to avoid angering a potential 2017-2021 Trump administration.

Now, its weeks before the 2020 election, and the tech companies emerge from the first term of the Trump administration staring down either 1) a second Trump term with the GOP furious and looking to regulate them for (spurious, constitutionally dubious claims of) censorship or 2) a first Biden term with the Democratic Party looking to regulate them.

Basically, Facebook, Twitter, Google (via YouTube), are just Mac.

WhisperedAdorableCleanerwrasse-size_restricted.gif

It did not end well for Mac.

Oct 25, 2017
The damage hasn't even started. If FB and YouTube were to continue on their current trajectories, we'd be in a living hell in 5-10 years.

Is it way too late? Yes.

Are these absolutely crucial changes that can still make a massive positive impact to our world? Yes.

I think this is a very important counterweight people need to remember. What often prompts people to action on something they're tentative or unaware about is the first time there's real harm/damage. Was there an ungodly amount of suffering and damage that was caused to the world at large due to this stuff running rampant (from brexit to trump to climate denial, etc)? Absolutely, no question. But it might just be the only catalyst that could have ever motivated the world, governments, and tech companies to do the work necessary to prevent it from happening again.

Oct 26, 2017
They've let this shit grow and fester for so long I have little faith that they're willing to fully follow through on this. We'll see I guess.

Just like Facebook though, I have no idea why so many people think this is directly related to the threat of regulation. There's no scenario where the government can force Youtube to take down these videos.
its not just regulation from government. this is also in response to the findings of the anti trust/monopoly hearing recently.
regulation is coming to social media, this is them trying to say, look see were regulating!!

but the threat of them getting torn apart into several smaller companies is also growing.

this is big tech shitting their pants trying to do something to give the appearance that they were running a business responsibly

collige

Oct 31, 2017
its not just regulation from government. this is also in response to the findings of the anti trust/monopoly hearing recently.
regulation is coming to social media, this is them trying to say, look see were regulating!!

but the threat of them getting torn apart into several smaller companies is also growing.

this is big tech shitting their pants trying to do something to give the appearance that they were running a business responsibly
Agree 100%, that's why I said "directly". I just think we should be clear on the difference because a lot of posts don't seem to making that clear.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Considering how many different platforms are all jumping on this bandwagon in an incredible short amount of time right before the election I think it becomes pretty obvious. Not too mention if laws and such are passed with that goal in mind, they can certainly force the hand of these companies, just need people with backbones in charge with this goal in mind.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
They think Democrats will win the Election.
Exactly. All of these tech companies must be hearing through the grapevine that a Biden administration and a Democratic senate would be coming down hard on them with regulation, so they're making moves to avoid government action.

Of course, this is too little, too late. Forget closing the stable doors after the horses have run off; the horses have run 1000s of miles away at this point and now they're holding protests and getting elected to Congress.