• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Carplay: Paywall
Playing music in background/screen off: Paywall
Advertisement in my own damn music that I paid for with google music: Paywall
Downloading the music I paid for with my phone: Paywall

Man this dystopian future sucks ass. This Paywall crap should be illegal and should be challenged in court. I'm not paying you $10 to listen to my own music that I brought and paid for off google.

What's next? Listen to the music off your Bluetooth headset behind a paywall? This needs to be regulated asap, because it can and will get worse. Won't be long before all music providers start nickel and dime you for every feature.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean by music yo upaid for off google? Like you bought albums on the Google Store, and you can't access them? That sounds pretty bullshit, but the others sound like basic paid features. We're in a time where we have access to limitless music, with greater ease, in a range of devices we never had before, for $10 a month. I agree you should have free access to songs/albums you paid for outside of the streaming service, but otherwise just pay the $10 a month and feast like a king

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Advocating Piracy

Man this dystopian future sucks ass. This Paywall crap should be illegal and should be challenged in court. I'm not paying you $10 to listen to my own music that I brought and paid for off google.

What's next? Listen to the music off your Bluetooth headset behind a paywall? This needs to be regulated asap, because it can and will get worse. Won't be long before all music providers start nickel and dime you for every feature.

Mod Edit: Removed link to modded version of official app

Last edited by a moderator:

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

You can download and play music you've purchased without paying for YouTube Music.

As long as you copied your owned music over, it's all in Uploads.

No charge to play that.

OP
OP
Josh378

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
What do you mean by music yo upaid for off google? Like you bought albums on the Google Store, and you can't access them? That sounds pretty bullshit, but the others sound like basic paid features. We're in a time where we have access to limitless music, with greater ease, in a range of devices we never had before, for $10 a month. I agree you should have free access to songs/albums you paid for outside of the streaming service, but otherwise just pay the $10 a month and feast like a king

So before YT Music, I brought a lot of albums separate from the streaming on Google Music. I brought them over to YT music and now I can't download nor listen to the music in the background. My carplay through bluetooth is paywalled as well.

I'm pissed off now!!!

Last edited:

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
You can listen to the music you bought on Google Music bypassing the paywall man. I do it everyday. Service sucks but your bought music is under uploads. Also make sure you go back and redo your playlists because "matched" albums you upload defaults to Googles versions too. Total bullshit but once you fix it you can play with no wall

MCee

Oct 28, 2017
Bay Area
I was just listening to music transferred from Google to YT Music today OP. No paywall. Library>Uploads

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
I love when people come into these threads just to be like "well i ended up just buying [insert google service] and everything is so much easier!" I refuse. One can only subscribe to so many services we're not all J.P. Moneybags!

Youtube ads are getting worse, they blocked iOS picture-in-picture, are actively blocking workarounds... I'm not gonna pay them $12 to reward that kind of behavior. I simply found myself using youtube less and less. A better competitor is bound to show up eventually!

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The YouTube music app turns off if I shut off the screen. What the fuck is the point of this app then? I used Google Music and it didn't do that. I just want to play my CDs I bought, why is this so difficult.

OP
OP
Josh378

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
You can listen to the music you bought on Google Music bypassing the paywall man. I do it everyday. Service sucks but your bought music is under uploads. Also make sure you go back and redo your playlists because "matched" albums you upload defaults to Googles versions too. Total bullshit but once you fix it you can play with no wall

OMG...thank you!! Was able to DL all my music to my phone, thank you!!!

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Youtube Vanced is what you need OP. I listen to most video game analysis videos, so this was a godsend for my phone battery.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Can you explain these a bit? Youtube music via CarPlay is behind a paywall or your CarPlay in general is? Your own music has advertising in it? That's fucking awful, switch services.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Google phasing out Google Music in favor of Youtube Music is just never going to stop making me angry.

Famicom

Oct 25, 2017
Google was already dead to me after nuking Google Reader, but nuking Google Music reopened the wounds.

Oct 25, 2017
literally the thing that annoys me most after switching to ios from many years on android is the fact that i can no longer run youtube in PiP without paying $15 a month
are you kidding me, fuck off
just makes me more determined than ever not to pay for their bullshit
play music was great, this sucks