• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
I saw Giant Bomb had a new FMV stream, so I thought that would be a fun thing to watch while eating lunch. Then like 15 minutes in, there's an ad break. These two young people are talking about how proud they are of the new show they're in on NBC. I was going to press the skip button, but I noticed that they were both wearing Georgia-centric shirts, and I guess I'm interested in Southern focused media that goes beyond stereotypes and conservative pandering. So, I stuck around for a minute... Wow.

I watched the whole thing.

Like, you know those "We made an AI watch 50 hours of ______, and it wrote this" memes? This is like one of those, if the blank was Lifetime, Seventh Heaven, and This is Us (I actually haven't seen This is Us, but my understanding is that it's like this, but... better, I would hope). This is a show designed by committee, with no apparent heart or style.

For a second, I thought this was some sort of secret faith-based show from PureFlix that somehow got onto mainstream TV, until I realized that there were LGBT characters. Nothing about this works. The acting. The writing. The editing. Maybe I've just been spoiled by jumping in on series that get solid reviews and leaving behind the broadcast TV pilot season swill, but man...

The plot... I don't know. Seems like maybe it could work... If, like, PAX-TV was still around, or something. There's this big happy family in Savannah, GA, and their dad gets cancer. He starts worrying about not being around, so he creates--and this is literally what they call it in the show, on multiple occasions--a "Council of Dads" to watch over his kids after he's gone. The pilot sets this up, chronicling the last year that the OG dad was alive, and his initial plan to organize the Council. This kind of sounds like a plot line you'd hear in Bojack Horseman.

Do me a favor and watch the cold open.

Starts at 0:15 and goes on to 3:40

What the hell was that?! Why would you play music over that scene like it was the climax?! Why is everybody in the family looking at each other so weird?! Why are they so invested in this kid jumping into the water? We don't even know these characters yet!

This feels like a scene from a crappy comedy movie where they jump and accidentally land on a pier beneath them and the family goes "Oooooh!" and the music abruptly stops before the dad goes, "I was wrong! We shouldn't have jumped!" before smash-cutting to the title, as a deconstruction of inspirational scenes in drama movies.

So much happens in this episode! The dad gets cancer in the cold open, beats it in the next scene, relapses later in the episode, and then dies off screen. The oldest daughter is planning to take an internship in New York, but meets a boy from high school and promises her dad that he won't get in the way of her dreams, and then marries him at the end after her dad dies. The mom gets pregnant and has a baby the day the dad finds out he has cancer again. It's supposed to take place in one year! It's only 45 minutes long! The episode reveals that the youngest son is transgender in the last ten minutes, and it sets up this big conflict with the grandmother, but then the son waves it off with a "It's cool, grandma. It can take awhile for people from your generation to understand," and I think it's supposed to be funny. There are multiple jokes about Anne Frank and Christopher Reeves that do not fit the tone at all. And, I know what you're asking, and yes, there is awkward singing along to Missy Elliott.

At the end, after a super boring wedding, they all form the word LOVE with sparklers... For nobody. Nobody can see that except the audience, and this show doesn't break the fourth wall or use any other heightened reality choices.

L1u8xv2.png

I feel like I'm losing my mind.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
It always amazes me how much network TV there is that you just don't hear about.

Can't watch from my country sadly but I'll assume it would have been way better if it was the Interdimensional Council of Dads.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i learned all about concentrations camps in kindergarten

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus. And this isn't even a YouTube original but a show that's airing on NBC during prime.

And it's based on a book? I wonder how that is....

Nancy Gibbs writing for Time magazine said, "Bruce Feiler is a writer with diverse interests and an adventurous spirit. His best seller Walking the Bible, about his 10,000-mile trek through the Holy Lands, became a hit PBS series; he wrote a book about his year as a circus clown and one on Abraham—nine books total, but none like his latest, The Council of Dads".

Wait, what

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
"The dad gets cancer in the cold open, beats it in the next scene, relapses later in the episode, and then dies off screen"

Omfg lmao

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Sounds like one of those things like Shit my dad says where the source material is nearly adaptation-proof. Dude is like a more serious Bill Bryson and this sounds like it has all the problems that the Walk in the Woods movie had where a lot of the emotional subtleties and the writer's documentarian eye just fail to cross through the translation.

OP
OP
Lionel Mandrake

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
Man, I have to wait until April goddamn 30th for episode 2.

How will I get my Dads fix?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
In North America stuff like this and soulless by-the-number procedurals (one of the eighty Chicago spin-offs for example) are all the scripted content that will be on broadcast TV in five years.

Broadcast continues to be were the money is long term for creators (if their show is a hit and lasts five years or more) but now everyone is sacrificing the potential big pay day for the relative security of a series on a streaming service.

There isn't even any excitement around broadcast networks from a development news perspective anymore either, remember when pilot season used to be a thing that actually generated excitement and discussion?

How many times have you heard about a broadcast project and thought, 'Why isn't this on streaming? It's too good for the milque·toast broadcast nets".

cmalex23

Avenger
Oct 10, 2018
I keep seeing commercials for this flaming turd and I'm glad to hear it's as bad as it looks. Thank you for sitting through that crap for us.

Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I saw a commercial for this and she joked, 'I bet one of them gets cancer so they band together and there is a gay couple, probably in an interracial relationship, two for one minority.'

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
How many times have you heard about a broadcast project and thought, 'Why isn't this on streaming? It's too good for the milque·toast broadcast nets".

The most recent example of this that mattered to me was The Passage last year, because Fox turned a book I really loved into something I didn't even recognize.

It would have been so good on even an FX given their FX on Hulu deal.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
If you're gonna do the extremely cliche TV thing of major character gets cancer to create drama, you could at least keep it interesting and have them start a war with a drug cartel and throw a pizza on a roof

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The youtube vids seem to have been taken down sadly but I watched a trailer and it didn't seem awful. The comments for it seemed very positive, some calling it an "emotional masterpiece" and whatnot.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
If you're gonna do the extremely cliche TV thing of major character gets cancer to create drama, you could at least keep it interesting and have them start a war with a drug cartel and throw a pizza on a roof
Hopefully, they'll never be able to remake Breaking Bad because people will one day say, "Why would you need to become a drug lord just because you got cancer?"

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
This show just aired after the Parks and Rec reunion and it was... something. Why did they decide to have all of the character development happen off-screen? By the end of the episode, a year had passed and I don't know any of these people.