• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
https://twitter.com/Corgsopal/status/1074033168003395584

Looks like youtube really knows how to target its audience.

cGeuupx.jpg
YnAJGHA.jpg
fR2jX7W.jpg
A9HvJCV.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
I'm disgusted that they are advertising this on video game channels.
However at this point I'm not even surprised considering Youtube's incompetence in the past.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, Youtube shouldn't allow this. But this is on the ad publisher's for the targeting of video-game lookalike audiences. And unfortunately it seems to work for them.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Companies only care about profits example # 515169014846516 aka we must abolish capitalism

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
If Youtube can publicly acknowledge the hate for that Rewind video, then they can easily acknowledge our disdain for this.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I'm just waiting until google has to explain airing a "don't trust the darkies" ad on a child's minecraft channel.

It's not surprising though. Google doesn't want to spend time cultivating youtube, they're certainly not going to cultivate whatever flows into adsense which is generating money.

Google gets fat off hate speech.

If Youtube can acknowledge the hate for that Rewind video, then they can easily acknowledge people's disdain for this.

Trouble is, their alorhythm says the people going to these channels are probably totally jazzed to get some dumb nonsense about people they'll never meet. It took a lot of work to get my recommends in order after doing very cursory research into Anita Sarkessian.

Deleted member 50949

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
That's all kinds of messed up, but is it even a surprise when Youtube's own algorithm recommends you videos from awful creators? So long it makes money, it doesn't matter to them.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
That.....really disgusts me. Considering what's happening at the US border and how children are even getting separated from their parents...We get this ad talking about traffic congestion. When did we get to a point where human life no longer matters...

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
lol wtf does immigration have to do with a 1-lane residential neighborhood street becoming a 6-lane super highway? that's never happened

that's the dumbest part of the ad lol

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Youtube shouldn't allow this. But this is on the ad publisher's for the targeting of video-game lookalike audiences. And unfortunately it seems to work for them.
No, it's YouTube's fault for agreeing to carry the content
Bigots will be bigots, but deplatforming works

lol wtf does immigration have to do with a 1-lane residential neighborhood street becoming a 6-lane super highway? that's never happened

that's the dumbest part of the ad lol
More people means more traffic means highways, apparently?

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
I recently saw a YouTube add (German YT) about a book with a title similar to "How the German state is promoting left extremists" from a "book" publisher called Kopp Verlag. Small snippet from Wikipedia:
Kopp Verlag is a German nonfiction publisher based in Rottenburg am Neckar. It publishes books and an online news website notably in the field of right-wing esotericism, populismand extremism, as well as pseudoscience and conspiracy theories. Other topics include wellness, outdoor equipment, survival skills and self-defense.

Yikes.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love if an outlet could do a write up on this. Some key people I'd like to show.

Gonzalo

Oct 29, 2017
Youtube is full of hate and so are all the other big sites.

There needs to be a launch of clone sites that don't tolerate it

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
I googled "antifa kills" a few weeks ago to prove that it had never happened, and the first result was an ad for YouTube telling me to defend the white race.

Also little kid sing along videos are full of ads for that fake university that is openly racist. I forget what it's called, begins with a P I think.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
What does immigration have to do with highways?

It doesn't. It's a dog whistle. It's a gross distortion of people's fears.

To the upper middle class, their exclusive (white) communities are their castles. It's the little bit of prestige they have. The idea of regular (diverse) people having access to their luxuries is an unspeakable terror.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Welp, I'm REALLY curious to see what's gonna hapen and who's gonna take the blame if advertisers are gonna decide leave the platform for a while again.

This is definitely gonna go viral.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprised. Alt right YouTube channels like American Krogan and The Quartering have large followings in the gamer community.

It was only a matter of time before the YT algorithm saw fit to advertise this racist shit to gamers.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Gross, but this isn't how Google Ads works. These are targeted ads that whatever activist group has specifically set to show up on certain demographics, not YouTube itself.

It shouldn't have been approved (and likely is in breach of their ToS, I'm not sure how American Google Ads functions), but just to put clarity on how this happens.

Still awful.

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
MSNBC runs ads by Republicans and Fox News runs ads by Democrats. I can't blame a media outlet for taking ad revenue, even if it's political in nature - it's their entire business model. The thing that concerns me more is that the algorithm seems to associate video gaming with conservatism.