• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11426

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC
It's not bad on my PS4. I just get ads before videos with most you can immediately skip. There doesn't seem to be the cancer of ads that abruptly cut into videos.

Mobile YouTube has shit like dumb surveys every video, but I'm never going to sign up for ad free either.

Oct 31, 2017
I hadn't tried YouTube Vanced, first time I've heard about it in the thread. I've just installed Vanced here's what I've noticed:
- NewPipe is itself FOSS and uses none of Google's proprietary features, Vanced is a modded version of the app
- Vanced, for that reason handles switching between pip, background and in-app more smoothly but NewPipe can do all of that
- Casting with Vanced easy, NewPipe hassle
- No comments on NewPipe (yay?)
- You cannot sign into NewPipe with a G account, you can sub, but it behaves independently of any G account
- NewPipe allows downloading to video or audio, options as far as bitrates and resolutions

I'll certainly give it a try - if anything, no comments is an advantage.Thanks for the heads up

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I'll certainly give it a try - if anything, no comments is an advantage.Thanks for the heads up
I have comments but I'm rooted, unlocked bootloader, custome OS, etc. Any way, there is a workaround in that thread to be able to sign in last I checked. Best YouTube app. Makes me miss Spotify Dogfood.
And in case you didn't notice it's actually YouTube (Ad)Vanced but they removed the Ads ahahaha...HA!

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Refusing to pay for a subscription then jailbreaking to circumvent advertising is simply piracy.

A lot of this thread is tantamount to "I load emulators and ROMs onto a hacked Switch because Nintendo sucks now."
If ad blockers were a big problem YouTube would deal with it, tons of sites already deny you content if you have one.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes....Premium.
I remember the days where there were no ads. Now we gotta pay. Youtube 2006-2012 were some beautiful years.

It always surprises me when I notice kids born when youtube launched (2005/2006) are now 7th graders.
Early YouTube (and the internet) was the wild west. It's since been settled and tamed. You can't stop progress.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
If ad blockers were a big problem YouTube would deal with it, tons of sites already deny you content if you have one.

Thing about ad-blockers, they merely allow your computer (including mobile devices) to decide which items to download. Although the laws in various countries have contrived to make this simple autonomous decision seem murky, it's really just computers doing what they're supposed to do. You own the computer (or phone, if that's what you want to call it) and you get to tell it which data you wish to accept. The website or app may present you with a list of content for you to stream or download, but this doesn't oblige you to do so.

There are techniques to stop presenting content if there is an ad-blocker, but there is no effective way for a website to do this. Your computer (or phone, or whatever) could easily spoof the website.

On the legal point, it might be that the law in some country says you must download all advertising content. But okay, then what? If I choose to watch an episode of a podcast but then mute the sound or cover the screen with a cardboard mask, what business does the law have to dictate that I behave otherwise?

So the law may say I (a horse, yes did I not say I'm a horse?) must be taken to water, it seems to be extravagant to require that I drink every drop. I could be required to download the crap, but I don't see how the law can be used to compel me to consume the parts I don't care for. And I can automate that decision, because it's a computer and I decide how it presents data.

So ad-blocking of some sort or other seems to be, well, unblockable.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
I use YouTube red for channels I want to support.$10/month is worth it based on the amount of YouTube I view (probably about an hour a day at bedtime)

maxglute

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd hold on to both Vanced and Newpipe. No learning curve to Vanced, occasional ads slip through, good default. Newpipe has good download options playbackspeed up to 3x which is useful for slow lectures. No adfree youtube red here, and wouldn't pay for it to support high production red shows if I could. I don't feel beholden to Google at all after the 6p shitshow they put me through. They're still getting a few bucks from me every month for Drive storage so I feel like we're even.

I wish Patreon has package support option. I wouldn't mind dropping 100 every year to all the channels I'm subscribed to.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"lol just give google money to fix a problem google started"
No. That's how they get you
Gdbi5p2.gif

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I use the download feature frequently, that plus no ads, and I use YouTube on every device. I heard youtube music is good but have not had the time to check it out as 8 just went to Apple so just dropped spotify

Youtube is basically going to force everyone into paying for it as a service and that's because it's a business looking to make money

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it's priced differently depending on the country your in? Because it's 11,99€/month in Germany, not exactly what I'd consider "not expensive". Quite the opposite, in fact. More than every other major streaming/content service. And just to get rid of ads and having videos/music play in stand-by (the latter being also legally possible by using YouTube via Firefox in Desktop mode). I would really like to see the numbers on how many YT Premium users there are.
In the us a subscription to Google music comes with YouTube Premium. My main usage and whole reason for signing up is Google Music so this fact might misrepresent the popularity of YouTube premium.

saltybeagle

Banned
Jan 20, 2018
Wake up. The Internet has become a celebration of corporate greed, governed by a select few, and youtube is only one of the many appendages designed to systematically control and exploit creative thought by maintaining a stranglehold on its means of distribution.

Go on, purchase YouTube Premium like a good consumer. Suckle on the teat of your corporate overlords.

ChsoI.jpg

OP
OP
Emwitus

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
Yeah, someone has to challenge youtube at some Point right? I use the internet for lots of things many of which involve avoid the commercials on regular TV.

On a side note: it's amazing how Hollywood is slowly growing its roots into independent content creation. Look at what will Smith is doing? He has a whole crew for Instagram, YouTube heck I wouldn't be surprised if he has a company specifically geared to building this content

Pretty soon the red tape that is a staple of network TV will be a staple of YouTube and other social media. Commercials are just the beginning.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I honestly haven't browsed YouTube in years. I only use it if someone has linked something or if I'm looking for something specific. Otherwise it has become a clickbait cable TV dumpster fire.

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have YT Premium. I cancelled my subscription for a few months last year and it was horrible. I had forgotten what it was like with ads. Never again.

Plus the subscription works out better for content creators, as I understand it.

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I thought this was gonna be about the fact that a lot of the content on YouTube is a more sinister form of advertising and it has ads on it as well. I feel like I liked YouTube better when it was people's hobby not their job.

Stephen Home

Alt account
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
User banned (2 weeks): admitting to/encouraging credit card fraud and theft
There are plenty of good suggestion to OP already.

I just open a premium account and get the free trail every 3 months. I have access to fake credit card number via mod edit: let's not link to places you can use to steal personal information so it's super easy to setup.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 9237

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There are techniques to stop presenting content if there is an ad-blocker, but there is no effective way for a website to do this. Your computer (or phone, or whatever) could easily spoof the website.
Well, it's an arm's race, like cheating in online games or piracy. I don't think the reason they don't attempt disabling ad-blockers is a technical one.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
I swear, I saw an ad interrupted by an ad yesterday.
not on my phone or PC but on the weird youtube app for the fire TV stick

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
The thing I hate is recommendations. Dear youtube: I am not a fucking alt right teenager. I also don't like indian food.

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
Dear ResetEra,
Why am I getting these nefarious redirects? I am not against ads that are done well, when done poorly, they create the situation where ads are no longer making money and people do everything they can to avoid them.

5NoUqKv.png