• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I had to drop both ProJared & RelaxAlax due to various things that have come to light.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
CGR - he seemed to have lost any drive after the initial problems with YT/people stealing his content and never recover. Don't use Amazon, so can't even see of myself what's he doing now anyway.

Jim Sterling - I'm still subscribed, so I rarely watch a video if the topic interests me. Bottom of the barrel Steam games could only be funny so long before they get tiring and even the commentary videos started getting kinda samey a while ago.

Kinda Funny - TBH never really got into them, even at the beginning. Mostly mention them because they were so hyped back on GAF.

Extra Credits - Because of James.

Larry Bundy Jr. - Aside from the GG-related stuff (although I've been told he distanced himself from it?), the content felt totally generic even when about interesting topics. Mostly just toplists after toplists, with the Driv3rgate video being pretty much the only standout.

GGGmanlives - I was a bit of a fencesitter when GG started getting traction (not proud of it), so his Anita jokes -of which it felt like there were maybe two, repeated in multiple vids- seemed more stale than disgusting, but it still soured me one way or another even if he was talking about the kind of games I love and no other channel really specialized in then. Then there was this annoying SHIET! he felt obligated to include at least once in every video. Then I decided that maybe I don't want to give him my clicks - both because he seemed to get stale and because he seemed more and more shitty in hindsight.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Super Best Friends: they broke up. but I watch Matt's stuff, his content is good, Wooly is eh and fuck Pat.
AngryJoe: He became too gimmicky with his skits and stuff, I rewatch his old reviews alot , before he depended on unfunny skits. He also prioritizes movies review now over games now, and well.... he is not a good movie reviewer, leave that to Chris Stuckmann dude. Finally, he started to incorporate Delrith more and Delrith is a douchebag, also kinda creepy dude.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
I don't want to explicitly name the channel, but I used to watch a Destiny YouTuber until I realized all the videos that got uploaded were around 10:01. That's not really an issue because the person has to eat and keep the lights on, but when it shows a good bit of the loading screen before a match starts, it becomes pretty clear that it's just a bunch of filler.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Classic Game Room. He stopped reviewing nearly as many modern games, which is too bad because his videos were a breath of fresh air back in the day. Also his jokes got old ("Can I play this on the Vectrex!?" was only funny the first few times). He really had no idea how to adapt as Youtube changed.

Apparently the channel is dead now.
Yeah I loved this channel

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone who ends up being fascist or racist I've dropped obviously, but probably the only big one I've dropped is Arlo. I loved some of his Zelda analysis but his videos outside of that are just weak, his commentary is so drivelling and it's very, very repetitive. Even watching some of his BotW videos I see things I missed before like basically him just saying "this is good because it's zelda, that is bad because it's zelda, but this was good because it subverts zelda! that I like at least".

Then him piling all in on the BotW story and saying "well Zelda has always had magnificent stories!" WTF- no they haven't. I get BotW is especially thread bare but let's be real here.

to be clear there is nothing wrong with having these opinions but it's kinda like me making a pokemon video. I'd just gush about how much I loved it as a kid. All well and good but it's not exactly a nuanced or informed opinion.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
I go through weird intervals where I watch Funhaus then just drop it and stop for months until I come back again for another short time.

Sometimes it's all a bit too much.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
I never subscribed to them, but RetroLiberty/Pixel Game Squad rubbed me the wrong way. They originally seemed like they were supposed to be a game hunting show like The Game Chasers or Pat's Flea Market Madness videos, but their editing is obnoxious and very ADD, and they never go over what they found or what deals they made, and they never go over the games themselves or why they're interesting to them, and when they do feature info, it's literally copied and pasted from random Wikipedia articles.

Then they deleted their original channel RetroLiberty and wiped their content from YouTube with no explanation, only to bring it back the next year with a new name (Pixel Game Squad) and act like nothing happened, whole thing rubbed me the wrong way, Aaron comes off super disingenuous and "fake", for lack of a better word.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Classic Game Room.

I loved Mark's content, and his videos not only got me into retro gaming, but they re-energized my enthusiasm for the hobby as a whole. Unfortunately, Mark became increasingly bitter with youtube, and to the point where he even started to lash out at his own fanbase. The final straw for me was when he tried to lock all of his videos behind a paywall and justify it by comparing it to buying a cup of coffee every morning. Now I think he produces content on Amazon Prime, but I haven't watched any of it.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PewDiePie.
Not because of what you think, I think he is ok in that regard, I just got bored of his content.

Same with Game Theory, the video narrative delivery is the same formula. Awesome channel though.

Nov 17, 2017
I dropped GameXplain because I felt like they released an overload of videos and most of them on their own weren't particularly interesting or seemed pointless sometimes. Especially when they would be things like just official screenshots or character art for a game or like a minute long video about a minor detail announced about a game which don't really suit themselves to video format. Also kind of felt like they would make a video for every little rumor.

My sub feed just was getting flooded especially on direct days where they would upload low quality videos of everything from the direct as it was happening and then high quality version of them right after.

Realized I was just scrolling past their videos to get to other stuff and I think it comes down to the fact that they're a news channel and I prefer to get my gaming news via reading than watching videos. I really liked their discussion videos during the pre Smash 4 release days.

CannedSoup

Oct 30, 2017
I go through weird intervals where I watch Funhaus then just drop it and stop for months until I come back again for another short time.

Sometimes it's all a bit too much.

This is me, I recently dropped them a few weeks back.

They can be really funny at times, but the editing of their videos screams "targeted for a younger demographic". It's just too much for me.

I never watch any of their podcasts or news videos but they all seem very click baity to me.

Goodbye

Oct 27, 2017
I still love Arlo but I miss his shorter, tightly-scripted videos. He's gone more in a stream of consciousness, ramble-y direction lately but I'm pretty sure it's due to Youtube algorithms.
Arlo. He's terrible, his videos are bad and he knows nothing. I don't even know how I was able to be on that channel for so many months.
I stopped watching because of the ads. I hate mid video ads and will stop watching the video no matter the content.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
IGN - Faces come and go with the company. Beyond was really the only gaming related channel of theirs I watched. When Alanah left, her presence was missed on Beyond and I stopped watching. I still listen to the podcast from time to time, but it's only if I have nothing else to play while driving or exercising.

Kinda Funny - They had a lot of highs and lows over the years. I'd watch/listen to the podcasts, watch their gaming stuff on a YouTube and would tune into Kinda Funny Live when I was free and not working. Eventually, I came to the conclusion they had too much on their plate. It was always about making plans for appearances, they'd start games but never finish them, or they weren't playing the stuff I was currently working my way through. It was like they'd rather criticize the industry and games they hadn't played, and were going down the rabbit hole of just being negative all the time. The period of 2015 to early 2016 was shaping to be a promising channel, then 2016 to 2017 turned into something bad and hard to enjoy. I tried to catch some stuff when Jared joined, because I loved listening to his knowledge of gaming history. Now? I tried, but I can't do it. Greg is a lovable positive guy, he has great personalities on the channel, Tim has really grown, but it's just not for me. If it wasn't for Kinda Funny taking that dip in quality a few years ago, I never would have discovered the greatness of the Giantbomb and Beastcast crew. They earned my devoted attention and time.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Classic Game Room.

I loved Mark's content, and his videos not only got me into retro gaming, but they re-energized my enthusiasm for the hobby as a whole. Unfortunately, Mark became increasingly bitter with youtube, and to the point where he even started to lash out at his own fanbase. The final straw for me was when he tried to lock all of his videos behind a paywall and justify it by comparing it to buying a cup of coffee every morning. Now I think he produces content on Amazon Prime, but I haven't watched any of it.
It didn't help that not every country with Prime even allowed you to watch the videos, I have the Canadian Prime and was still blocked off from the videos.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Used to be a huge Rocketbeans fan (German channel). It is like a tv channel on YouTube producing shows about games, movies, series plus they have self developed shows. I even went to live shows and attended community meeting where peoole working in the company showed up too, chatting with their fans. I went to GamesCom to get look at the newest games - and to get autographs and having a chat with the founders. (As I am writing this, it sounds like a cult or something). The content they produced was fun and entertaining; so why did I drop out?
There are three reasons for this:
1) The community
2) They went into a direction I do not like
3) Time and I have changed

Let's get to 1), the Community. People in this community are just f**** toxic. It really is like they are worshipping the company and people working for them. There is NO room for criticism. If you criticise something people will get at you in the worst possible way. In addition to that they are all living in a bubble where they are always right and if there is a problem, it never is them but the other person. They do not act self-reflexively. The other person is the problem - every f*** time. People in this community are living in their bubble not developing. They are just so black and white, there is no grey, no inbetween.

2) The direction thing, they moved from stuff I like to stuff I do not like to appeal to a bigger audience. However I can see why cause they have like 100 employees and they have to pay their salary and stuff. Nevertheless, it is no longer my cup of tea.

The last reason is kind of connected to 'it is no longer my cup of tea'. Since I graduated from university and started working as a teacher I have started setting my priorities differently. I took a step up from who I used to be (see introduction) and watching this channel just feels like wasting time when I can play games myself instead, watch a movie or do other stuff. I rather study further so I can improve my teaching skills and knowledge than wasting my time with the abovementioned people and shows. However, when teaching I kind of have an advantage over some colleagues because I know all this internet stuff and games, so it way easier for me to connect to my students :)

Tl;dr: I am just happy I quit and got rid of this toxic community

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I mainly only watch gaming streams on twitch, and of gaming streams pretty much just a few GTA RP performances and early playthroughs of games I am interested in buying.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh I just outgrew many of them. As a kid, I loved Game Grumps, Jontron, AVGN, and many other channels, but as a 23 year old I just don't think they're particularly entertaining any more.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I ditched IGN's Nintendo Voice Chat podcast while the plagiarist guy was running it. This was before we even knew any of that, but the dude was just awful as a host. He didn't have a great knowledge of Nintendo, and was painfully lacking in charisma to boot. He actively made episodes less interesting. I'm back to following the show casually now that he's gone.

I haven't had the need to ditch anyone for being a bigot yet. I'm subscribed to:
  • Easy Allies
  • The Game Informer Podcast
  • Jim Sterling
  • Mark Brown
  • Girlfriend Reviews
  • Writing on Games
  • BrutalMoose (altho mainly for food reviews now lol)
  • GameXplain
I'd be very surprised if any of them turn out bad tbh.

Deleted member 19742

Oct 27, 2017
Hm...

Probably one of the big ones I stopped watching semi-recently was Cr1tikal. His videos seem too focused on Youtube drama as of late; although he still produces some good videos, they're overall still too negative for me/not really my cup of tea. He still seems like a good guy, though, and I wish him the best.

AVGN's videos are ones I've mostly enjoyed, but learning about Mike's garbage behavior and beliefs has put me off the Cinemassacre channel. I think James is probably still a very good guy whose beliefs are mostly good and he is maybe willing to make a single exception for Mike because of their timeless f r i e n d s h i p or whatever, but...long story short, I'm kind of disappointed in James despite thinking he's still mostly good, and Mike is an asshole.

I drifted from The Runaway Guys over the last several years, though I still think highly of Jon and Tim as people. With Emile...well, although the comments were a very long time ago (we're talking years here), his off-hand comments on rape in TRG's playthrough of (I think) New Super Mario Bros Wii, and also on his own channel's Pikmin videos, I think, struck a nerve that never really went away, since I rather idolized the guy back at the time. No offense meant to anyone who likes him! I really hope he's grown as a person since then, but I can't help but have some reservations. But I really hope he's a good person who just says things the wrong way sometimes, and has learned from those experiences.

I kind of experienced an inverse of this thread topic over time with retsupurae: I thought their earliest videos were a bit too caustic despite being funny overall, but I thought they got much better and funnier as the years went along (though there were still some iffy comments here and there, but still much better than when they started). Some of their wrongpuraes (let's plays of bad/weird games) are timeless. Although retsupurae isn't making videos anymore, I am definitely still fond of them. I'm not sure where Diabetus went, as slowbeef still seems to be doing well and making content. Hope the guy's all right.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
No it was a joke lol. I was riffing on the fact that most Youtubers end up being trash tier people aka most of youtube is trash. Clint seems like a real good dude so good people cant be watched on youtube.
Ok, damn you gave me a heart attack.
I will continue to watch his oddware videos. They're perfect for me, because I had a computer back then, but I wasn't aware of the large amount of strange things I could do with it.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Excusing bigotry. History of severe infractions.
Interesting. so his content got boring but you're OK with the nazism / racism? You think he's OK to do that?
No. I am just saying he is not a Nazi/racist and his content got boring for me.
I am not here to fight. Please.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was becoming a really big fan of jontron until he fucked up in a real stupid way

Technika

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2018
GameXplain, though occasionally listen to the Quick News Updates.
Used to love it, especially when the Andre analysis machine fires up!

But more recently, I find myself tuning out quite quickly in the discussion videos as it got quite depressing early into it. If excitement wasnt resonated between them all, the topic would turn cynical quickly (cynicism), and there wasnt a spokesperson of the opposite view to balance it. Its been months since I last listened to a discussion, so it may have been addressed.

I'll give them another shot and check them out again post E3 direct :)

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just fell out of watching Nintendocaprisun. Tim is an amazing and sweet person, but his content just didn't really ever change and I just sorta stopped watching one day and didn't go back. I heard he put out a Tetris 99 video talking about how people would approach him at conventions saying "I used to watch your videos". At least he gets some screentime on TheRunawayGuys and at Thrown Controllers panels.
The same thing happened to me, I dont really know why, every once and a while I go to his channel and feel bad because he really doesnt get the views he use to

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Anyone who posts blatant misinformation for clicks. For example video / thumbnails like 'NEW ZELDA BOTW SEQUEL IS COMING NEXT YEAR?' or, to a lesser extent, 'Why Animal Crossing Switch WILL BE the best in the series'. Some are outright lies, most are based on rumours and some are pure speculation worded as fact. Nothing of value is found within these sorts of videos.

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
I don't want to explicitly name the channel, but I used to watch a Destiny YouTuber until I realized all the videos that got uploaded were around 10:01. That's not really an issue because the person has to eat and keep the lights on, but when it shows a good bit of the loading screen before a match starts, it becomes pretty clear that it's just a bunch of filler.

lol i'm petty about this too, if i see a video around 10 minutes i move on

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Girlfriend Reviews. It's neat a first couple of times but eh, the format has grown dull and stagnant for me personally.

Pewdiepie. I honestly liked the guy once but his shenanigans and the behaviors of his fans pushed me away from him.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I watched a lot of Kripparian and Moldran when I was playing Diablo 3 and would've even kept watching after finished playing D3 but Kripp ended up doing only Heartstone vids and Moldran has gone awol.

Also used to watch anything Adam Sessler was on (last show was Rev3Games) but obviously stopped once he left and the channel basically closed down. Used to like seeing Max Scoville on there too and he's way underutilized at IGN.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I don't really delete subs. I don't really know how on Xbox.

But I did want to talk about some of the weaknesses/pros of the few I do watch.

Jim Sterling - Absolutely negative. But it's more than that for me, he's retreading the same 3 things over and over again. He's not challenging himself with a solution. I think he actually doesn't understand the industry/business enough to really analyze the situation. Which leads me to my next point.

Kinda Funny - Been following since their inception. I love what they do. But they aren't focusing on the best parts of their content. It almost feels, this year especially, like they aren't focusing on games. Andy Cortez isn't involved in any of their games content until E3. He actually could potentially have interesting things to say, but he's never given a chance. I actually think Andrea Rene and Gary Whitta are their most interesting guests. They at least say things. Have something to offer. Everyone else is just trying to be entertaining and it isn't cutting it for me. If I'm going somewhere for the news and analysis, I want news and analysis. Colin is still superb at it when he does his curated videos. Problem is, he's not as entertaining as he was with Greg. Final thing I'll say is that they have no understanding about the xbox ecosystem. They keep on with the same awful monologue. They literally never mention Forza Horizon 4 being an exceptional game. Probably best racing game ever made. They keep talking about how there are no exclusives for X1 this year, but never talk about Gears 5 and Ori. They barely even go over recent releases unless it's a Sony exclusive. I think Tim has gotten better, almost great. They really need someone though who has things to say. I don't want a discussion to always boil down to so are you playing Division 2 still or no when they talk about raids being delayed or are you still playing Anthem when it comes out a struggle has gone down at their studio.

If I were to give them one suggestion, it would be to drop all of their extracurricular entertainment shows and focus on gaming. I feel bad for people like Nick Scarpino who just dont really fit for the group. I wish Barrett Courtney was on shows too, he's hilarious and wonderful. Loved him on Beyond.

Maximilian dood - btw, he's the best youtuber out there. Obviously you have to dig fighting games, but man. He's so pure and wonderful with all of his content. I like that he has a bunch of usual friends he games with and he's still tight with them even though they aren't as entertaining as him. He also at least edits his streams and reaction videos in a super cool awesome way!

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I was a pretty big fan of KF back when they were in the apartment, but their discussion around games went in a direction that I really dont jive with so I ended up dropping them altogether.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
SeaNanners.

Even during the early Machinima days, SeaNanners used to put out some casual gameplays which he talked over.

He would talk about his day, what kinds of things he was reading, his communications with people, and the things he was working on in his life. It was really great to listen to and he showed a lot of humility in how he talked about himself.

Eventually he started to only upload videos where he played games with other people, and was pretty popular with his PropHunt videos specifically. The content stayed that way and he never really did the kind of video I enjoyed ever again.
same here. Started watching him during MW2 time.
Same with Hutch and a bunch of other CoD YouTubers.

They made good content. Gave tips, explained stuff, told us their thought process for be successful in the game and so on.

TThen they started uploading highlights of their streams.. Mostly clips, them only talking to their buddies they were platooning with.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hm...

Probably one of the big ones I stopped watching semi-recently was Cr1tikal. His videos seem too focused on Youtube drama as of late; although he still produces some good videos, they're overall still too negative for me/not really my cup of tea. He still seems like a good guy, though, and I wish him the best.

AVGN's videos are ones I've mostly enjoyed, but learning about Mike's garbage behavior and beliefs has put me off the Cinemassacre channel. I think James is probably still a very good guy whose beliefs are mostly good and he is maybe willing to make a single exception for Mike because of their timeless f r i e n d s h i p or whatever, but...long story short, I'm kind of disappointed in James despite thinking he's still mostly good, and Mike is an asshole.

I drifted from The Runaway Guys over the last several years, though I still think highly of Jon and Tim as people. With Emile...well, although the comments were a very long time ago (we're talking years here), his off-hand comments on rape in TRG's playthrough of (I think) New Super Mario Bros Wii, and also on his own channel's Pikmin videos, I think, struck a nerve that never really went away, since I rather idolized the guy back at the time. No offense meant to anyone who likes him! I really hope he's grown as a person since then, but I can't help but have some reservations. But I really hope he's a good person who just says things the wrong way sometimes, and has learned from those experiences.

Chuggaa has always been my least favourite of the three, maybe it's because of his age but the other 2 just seem much more laid back than him.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
IGN - I used to watch a lot of their news videos and podcasts, but not much nowadays. Too many of their news videos are outdated by the time they post. In terms of their podcasts, my main issue in the last couple years is that many of the people on the podcasts now are lacking knowledge and expertise about the podcast topics.

KF - I was a patreon sub in their first couple years, but have dropped since because I don't find their content compelling anymore.

I unsubbed to IGN due to blatant spoilers for everything.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
Cinemassascre im close to unsubscribing from, because I only like James. Everything else on that channel that features Mike & friends is just horrendous.
I'll still watch solo James videos but yeah, the other content has gotten pretty bad, he never should have sold the channel to Screenwave (Ryan's company), I would have rather James change the focus of the channel or drop the AVGN character than what it's been lately.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Slightly related, but did anyone get some old subscriptions back on their account when Google merged YouTube subs with YouTube Gaming subs? I had to do some spring cleaning on my sub list. These are the gaming channels I had to remove again:

ProJared: I unsubbed him almost immediately after the whole dickpic and predatory shit when down. Granted I was fine with his content but he wasn't uploading much for a year or so. Now I know why...

JonTron: He's a bigot.

Cinemassacre: Despite that Ghostbusters reboot video, I don't think James is really that bad. At least he's not courting anti-sjw chuds like most of gaming YouTube does. I was just losing interest of AVGN is all.

It was a little later that I found out how much of a racist asshole Mike was. I still watch the occasional big AVGN video like the Pepsiman one though.

Jim Sterling: He speaks the truth but all the negativity got to me.

Game Sack: Transphobes and generally shitty dudes that I initially liked because of their diverse library of games.

I remember they made some random snipes at Phil Fish in a random episode like years after he got doxxed and quit social media. It was so mean-spirited that I unsubbed from them not too long later. Imagine my shock when I found a tweet from this year of them dunking on Fish again. Out of touch old men.

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
I've dropped everyone besides FunHaus.

Too many of them just became so similar and lacked something to keep making me click the next video. Game Grumps in particular lost me hard