• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Jontron turned out to be a hardcore racist, boogie made excuses for him, etc., and AVGN had prototypical gamer AlphaOmegaSin on once or twice and I just noped out.

I've subscribed to a ton of channels, but I don't really follow any single one. I basically check in and look at the subscription feed every now and then. I could probably remove like half the channels I'm subscribed to without it really affecting what I actually end up watching, but unless there's a situation like above, I lack the motivation to bother.

lol oh wait, I'm still subscribed to boogie somehow. I've failed to notice this for years. Did I block his videos from appearing in my subscription feed somehow?

Cellsplitter

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Back when Youtube hadn't blown up yet and big internet personalities had their own websites and/or were getting exposure through others (eg. AVGN on GameTrailers) I found Awesome Video Games (Farfromsuble) on Thatguywiththeglasses.com.
I followed them for years and really liked their let's plays on Ace Attorney. They cosplayed and had an awesome set up so it was amazing.
However, over time I found Fraser Agar more jaded. He was very quick to accuse the chat for liking things he didn't or for trying to explain things.
I often had the top comments on his videos where I tried to explain mechanics or story elements and one day youtube stopped showing their videos on my sub feed.
Fraser had personally removed one of my comment and blocked me.
I reached out to him over e-mail where he excused himself and how he had often seen my comments on his videos and that he didn't' mean to block me. Sounds like a hard thing to accidentally do if you ask me.
I let it slide that time but over time things simply got worse so I left.

I then found the Super Best Friends. With Matt, Pat, Woolie and eventually Liam. I found their LP's of Walking Dead and Deadly Premonition hilarious so I stuck with them a few years.
However, they (like most internet personalities back then) were into the whole negativity shtick where it was cool to hate on games. "This game SUCKS!" etc.
It was gradual how I watched less and less of their videos, until I unsubbed (this was before Liam left).

However, it was early 2015 when I came back to an old site. The site I loved to go to during E3 and where I could find other great videos.
GameTrailers.com. Here I found some fantastic people. Huber Hype always bringing a smile to my face with constant positivity (<3 !). Mandatory Update where Ian and Elyse make jokes and sometimes awesome skits (that Bloodborne musical! wow!). Betting Specials! And of course, The Final Bosman. Kyle really sealed the deal for me sticking around GameTrailers. I found a lot of people I liked there. Ben Moore, Matt Blair, Daniel Bloodworth etc etc.

The day I found out GT was closing I was crushed. But it wasn't too long until they resurrected and formed Easy Allies.
Good vibes and a loving community. All I ever wanted was a little love and respect. Thanks EZA.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda Funny. Their coverage of games and the way they talk about them is so boring now, they don't delve into anything or have interesting things to say sadly. It's mainly "yeah i played about 30 minutes the other night, too much traveling ya know, seems cool though."
That along with andrea rene constantly belittling the audience made me unsub.

I only watch easy allies stuff now regularly, along with random retrospectives, documentaries or lore videos of a series.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Classic Game Room. He stopped reviewing nearly as many modern games, which is too bad because his videos were a breath of fresh air back in the day. Also his jokes got old ("Can I play this on the Vectrex!?" was only funny the first few times). He really had no idea how to adapt as Youtube changed.

Apparently the channel is dead now.

This. I dropped CGR when he locked his stuffs behind patreon. Dude went downhill real quick since he joined Amazon. I mean, Truxton and Vectrex jokes could only carry him so far.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really dropped the channels myself, but the creators themselves mostly did the part of dropping their channels.

Lots of gaming YTs that I subscribed have not uploaded contents that they used to or dead for a long time..

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I just fell out of watching Nintendocaprisun. Tim is an amazing and sweet person, but his content just didn't really ever change and I just sorta stopped watching one day and didn't go back. I heard he put out a Tetris 99 video talking about how people would approach him at conventions saying "I used to watch your videos". At least he gets some screentime on TheRunawayGuys and at Thrown Controllers panels.

NCS was the only Let's Player who I regularly watched, but I fell off when he stopped playing games that I care to watch. I have zero interest in RPGs, so it would suck when I'd stop by his channel and see Let's Play Final Fantasy Infinite [1] that's probably going to last for nine months.

I still can't bring myself to unsubscribe from Tim. He's a lovely bloke and his early videos are genuinely touching, revealing much about his life, his work and his upbringing.

His vlogging videos on his other account, Breaking NCS, were so sweet too. Going to conventions, discussing his childhood abuse at the hands of bullies, etc.

He was/is real.

But his game choice just haven't done it for me in recent years and despite having a massive subscriber count, he barely gets any views. I don't watch either.

It's a shame, but I think he still has a lot to give if he plays more modern games and varies up his content.

Last edited:

plateaux

Oct 27, 2017
New England
Cinemassacre: I only like James Rolfe, never liked Mike, and don't really care for his new cast of characters. His personality and ideas really seemed to take a backseat to everyone else jumping in on his channel, once that transition happened, I sort of never fully got back into him. It's almost like he just kinda handed the keys over to Mike and whoever else and let it expand in an unfocused and bland way.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, I forgot about Jim Sterling. The videos are absolutely exhausting now, I can't deal with the negative tone. Even when he's positive, he delivers it in an almost admirably patronizing way. I also feel like he's essentially just reading threads on Era and Reddit, summarizing the overall opinions, then regurgitating it all back to that same audience and they just eat it up. It's essentially confirmation bias in content form

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on the verge of dropping the Completionist. He's such a big teddy bear that I feel compelled to watch but he's not really that good at formulating jokes and really hasn't been since Greg left (and I know that dude's an ass). I much prefer him when he's being analytical rather than forcing out bad jokes.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I dropped almost all of those channels that are 99% regurgitating Schreier articles or ERA posts.

I mostly stick to

Easy Allies (Frame Trap & Streams)
HappyConsoleGamer
Gameinformer cause they have a lot of first scoops with their cover stories.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HaloFollower.

It was a great channel back when it was Halo4Follower. Nowadays it's just clickbait, misinformation and pointless videos. Terrible lore analysis as well - clearly only reads summaries for novels on Halopedia rather than doing actual research like some other Halo YouTubers.

That and The Act Man.

The Act Man turned out to be a sexist asshole and Gamergate supporter.

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
There were some Let's Play channels I used to watch just because I would stop enjoying their content at some point, stop watching for a day or two, and then it stays that way.

I just fell out of watching Nintendocaprisun. Tim is an amazing and sweet person, but his content just didn't really ever change and I just sorta stopped watching one day and didn't go back. I heard he put out a Tetris 99 video talking about how people would approach him at conventions saying "I used to watch your videos". At least he gets some screentime on TheRunawayGuys and at Thrown Controllers panels.
I haven't unsubbed from him still, but this is how I felt. His content feels like it's still stuck in the early 2010's, which some who are long-time fans may find admirable, but it feels like his content has stagnated. Thankfully, TGR gives him visibility.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
GameXplain is the only ones I fuck with now. Because they've remained level headed as far as I can tell, and I haven't seen any of them posting bigoted shit online.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I have only ever watched haydunn let's play, still watching him to this day. I'm not a big fan of watching anyone play anything ,but haydunn has good sense of humor and is actually pretty fun watching him on my lunch or dinner.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
farfromsubtle. Mostly because the show is just Fraser and Becky now. Fraser is fine, but he complains a lot and Becky is basically just a yes-man. Back in the day when Ben was on the show it was a lot more fun because they have a great dynamic or when Deacon and Kyle were regulars it was always good fun and the show felt energetic, but now it feels like they're going through the motions with nothing much to say so I dropped off.

I'm very much looking forward to he return of Video Games Awesome! though, that show was genius.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
jim sterling has his shtick and he's dedicated to it, and i appreciate him being so focused on consumer advocacy, but if i have to hear him yell "triple A videogames" in a shrill voice once more i'll, well... i'll probably do nothing, but yeah that's why i unsubbed. i just found him overwhelmingly negative, kind of like an ambulance chaser but for bad games news. i'll caveat that by saying i dont think that the companies he discusses should be let off by any means, i dont think he's doing anything wrong by holding a light to them, but sometimes it comes across like he thinks he's the only one holding anyone to account.

Oct 25, 2017
JonTron
ProJared

And then

Continue? -> Just got a little stale
Kinda Funny Games -> Analysis has just gotten worse and worse. Spread far too thin
AVGN -> I'm not dealing with Mike being spammed down my throat
Jimquisition -> Just didn't watch one week and haven't felt the need to check back in

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
I used to watch Jim Sterling a fair bit, but I found the negativity (whilst truth) was getting to me.
Yeah. That's probably the one for me as I never really subscribed to many personalities as I usually just watch Giant Bomb and that's it. There was a point where a lot of his vids just all blended together for me. Seemed to be at the peak of Steam green light, asset flip games etc. That and generally the point he's trying to make is established two minutes in then there's 20 minutes of rehashing. Just became a drag for me personally. Still watch some here and there but I pick and choose a lot.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Used to be HUGE fans of the Creatures(group of Uberhaxornova, Kootra, ssohpkc, Slyfox, Danznewz, and ImmortalHD) and their minecraft stuff back in 2011-2014, but fell off after growing out of it. Went back for nostalgia last year and found out infighting and drama made the entire group disband in 2016, now only like 2?(Nova and Danz) of them still make videos. Ssohpkc was especially worrying because the last thing before he left was a super long illness hiatus followed by talks of mental health issues, and culminating in a complete online disappearance and cutting ties with friends. Hope he's better :/

Even more fucked because they had literally just signed on to be a subsidiary of Roosterteeth less than two months before everyone fucked off.

Also shoutout to Cloud8745 who was one of the first youtube people I ever watched back in like 2008/9. Loved his Silent Hill playthroughs. He... also apparently got into dumb drama but apparently has made up for it and came back as a streamer?

AngriestPat and Plague of Gripes. For Pat, the fact that two of the four person Super Best Friends left because of him, just stopped caring to watch him. Plague also just became really obnoxious with his opinions and I didn't care much for that shtick anymore.

Also stopped caring about the various Dark Souls streamers except Peeve, who I still watch regularly.
Plague also had that homophobic tantrum, yelling at a gay asking him to not use faggot since it's a slur, and plague(a fuckin kentucky country boy) had the gall to use the "cigarettes" excuse, and never apologized. Knowing that all of the SBF likely saw and ignored it and continued to be friends with him lost me a lot of respect for all of them tbh.

Injustice45

Oct 29, 2017
ProJared, for obvious reasons.

JonTron because of his racism.

Classic Game Room because he's on Amazon Prime, and I don't have the money to pay for that consistently. Mark hasn't been the same when his channel first went off YouTube.

Super Best Friends when they broke up. I still check out Matt's channel, though.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much everyone besides Giant Bomb, Jim Sterling, and Angry Joe. Still watch a little Jackfrags since he's so incredibly vanilla it's like a B roll channel of shooters that are out/coming out.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Man, I used to LOVE Jim. Back in the Podtoid days with Conrad and Jonathan? Pure gold. I even made the thread for it back in the old country. The stuff with Gavin and Laura? It's...fine. It's videogames, which I love, but I only have so much space in my life for just videogames. Podtoid was a comedy show featuring videogames, and I could ALWAYS fit that into my life.

On Youtube, despite my dedication to the man, I find I often don't watch his stuff. It's the intro that turns me off. It's like getting cold water thrown in your face, and his videos are rather samey-y.

Maybe I'm doing him and myself a disservice by comparing his modern stuff with the classic Podtoid. Even Dismal Jesters was a letdown. Those old days were just magical, and could anything really compare? I just don't know.
Don't know if anyone has mentioned it already, but looks up the podcast "Boston's Favorite Son". It's the Podtoid/Dismal Jesters gang back together, again.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like comment subscribe or SMASH THAT BELL ICON to anyone but on weekends I do enjoy a jablinski or girlfriend reviews video.

I liked cleanprincegaming for a bit but his format gets old quick.

Edit: I forgot about Jim Sterling which I would watch daily. He just beat a dead horse while beating a dead horse in the wrong ways. Stuff like putting up a picture of overwatch when describing pay to win microtransactions.

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
Jontron- Used to like his videos, then he opened his mouth regarding his opinions on things that aren't about gaming and did not like what i heard.

Projared- Hearing about how he really is made me stop caring about him.

RWhiteGoose- I don't like Goldeneye and i am not even a speedrunner, still found his stuff interesting, and then it was revealed he was pratically a neo-nazi with years of proof, quick unsubscribe right there, same goes for his friend Apollo Legend.

Achievement Hunter- Still like them, but never liked watching Minecraft videos ever, the GTA stuff has declined, even their Worms videos seems more boring, and they play a lot of games i don't care about watching like battle royale or survival games, that being said, they still do some fun stuff here and there, i like when they play GMod and the Ultimate Chicken Horse videos are fun, it's just that they are focusing mostly on games i don't care about.

Game Sack- Nothing wrong about them(or one now that Dave left) or their content, they talk about all kinds of console games and such, but it was mostly just watching some small gameplay videos and very brief reviews with the same format again and again, and it just ended up becoming boring after a while.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Dropped JonTron and ProJared (guess why), GameTheory, CleanPrinceGaming, YongYea...nowadays it's outside xbox, the playstation UK crew, some Jimbo S and Hardcore Gaming 101 podcast.

ZeroReaper

Oct 27, 2017
Dropped pewdiepie a while back. Only subbed for his Last of Us let's play. Now I only watch PlayStation Access and Easy Allies.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
lol oh wait, I'm still subscribed to boogie somehow. I've failed to notice this for years. Did I block his videos from appearing in my subscription feed somehow?
There was a recent thing where the YouTube Gaming app was merged with mainline YouTube, and a lot of people we're resubscribed to people they had previously unsubscribed to. It was probably that.

Oct 25, 2017
I dropped Jim Sterling.
I think he is fighting the good fight but I am so tired of every single thing being a trainwreck and the negativity is overwhelming, it feels like he looks for reasons to hate. Also it's difficult to really care about his opinions when 90% of the time it sounds like he just reads a subreddit and gives us the highlights. I guess this is kind of shallow but I'd care more if it felt like his grievances came from the heart / from genuine disappointment with something he was looking forward to. Instead it feels like he takes every opportunity with AAA game development to talk about anti consumer practices which is fine but I'm so bored.

Also I've grown tired of his humor.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Rooster teeth. Used to love their achievement videos and stuff like that. I stopped watching when it seemed like the original people were barely in videos anymore. Also when Ray left to go do twitch full time. Got too big and they weren't putting out the videos anymore that I liked

May 15, 2019
Tmartn for sure, never forgave him after that CSGO Lotto incident. I saw his "apology" video for it and was just so done with him. Never have gone back since, I used to watch him for a few years.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vinesauce Joel: I was informed here that he had made transphobic remarks, so I recently unsubbed.

I might be wrong/have incomplete knowledge on this, but as far as I can remember I think he made the "attack helicopter" joke maybe once years ago. Talking about a time when even I didn't fully realize the transphobic nature of the joke - I don't even know why I remember it; it probably comes from one of the few videos of his that I've watched many times over the years. Though I haven't watched absolutely everything he's put out before or since then, I've watched a fair bit of it, and continue to on occasion, but I've never heard him talk about gender in a loaded way, if at all, outside of that one time.

It's obviously fine if you don't want to watch his content anymore, but I'd be curious to know if there really is much to it. You don't seem to have first-hand knowledge of what Joel supposedly said. Does anyone know? I'm tempted to say it was just a dumb one-off joke from someone who didn't even realize what it meant - just like I didn't realize either back then. He just doesn't strike me as someone who would go out of their way to make "punching down" jokes or talk about anything political. I hope I'm not proven wrong, though. It'd suck to have to drop him. He sounds like such a nice dude.

[EDIT] Heck, come to think of it, it's possible you heard of his transphobic remark through me lol. It's not like Joel gets a ton of mentions on this forum (even in the Vinesauce thread!), and I remember mentioning it some time ago.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
MetalJesusRocks just started rubbing me the wrong way. He feels fake as hell and I couldn't shake the feeling that he's lying about something. Probably a stupid reason but it's just the weird uncomfortable feeling that starts to fester, y'know?

Yeah, his videos are getting pretty repetitive too. I actually like his pals like Kinsey and Reggie more than him.

gschmidl

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Is there a counter-thread to this one with recommendations?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Projared is the first I've ever unsubscriped to, though a few channels I follow are basically dead so the effect is the same (spoony one, protonjon)

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I probably need to clear out a few channel off my subscription list as I am subscribed to some that I don't even watch.

Same, I watching his Donkey Kong 64 let's play then I just stopped and didn't return.

Classic Game Room. He stopped reviewing nearly as many modern games, which is too bad because his videos were a breath of fresh air back in the day. Also his jokes got old ("Can I play this on the Vectrex!?" was only funny the first few times). He really had no idea how to adapt as Youtube changed.

Apparently the channel is dead now.

Yeah I unsubscribed to them the moment they were uploading mini reviews with one being a toy car, that was not the content that I wanted.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't followed anyone really closely until Easy Allies but I stopped following AngryJoe, Sterling and YongYea. I dropped AngryJoe and Jim when I got bored of their hyperbole reactions. AngryJoe can still be entertaining to me sometimes in small doses heh. YongYea was for games news and speculation videos but nowadays I don't feel the need to follow him.

These days I'm subscribing to only Easy Allies, HappyConsoleGamer and Girlfriend Reviews.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
Some of them I outgrew like PBG, Brainscratch, Achievement Hunter

Others happened to be massive pieces of shit like Jared and Jontron. However, glad I never subbed to PDP, dude was terrible even before he catered to garbage.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
GameXplain is the only ones I fuck with now. Because they've remained level headed as far as I can tell, and I haven't seen any of them posting bigoted shit online.

And you never will. :) Thank you — it's sad that we live in a time where anyone has to be proud of that, but that's what I love most about our channel and our team and it isn't even close.

Cheers!

Pagoto93

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Kinda Funny. Without Colin and then Jared, I think they're missing an analyst. Greg offers enthusiasm and not much else.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Watched Projared from the day he left Screwattack.

Unsubbed a week ago for obvious reasons.