• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wish I could boycott YouTube, and it's unfair when they are the only game in town that host creators I like

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Youtube has way too much power and influence and far too little accountability or sense of ethics.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The thing is that they DO have those rules, they just choose to ignore them.

I wish I could boycott YouTube, and it's unfair when they are the only game in town that host creators I like

And again, literally no one is going to stop using YouTube.

You can boycott Facebook and Twitter, etc, but boycotting YouTube hurts the creators who have nothing to do with YT policy and no one will leave YT to post videos elsewhere because it's the only viable platform for visibility.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I like that YouTube/Google monitor my internet activity so much that despite not watching any of these videos, or even going on Twitter or anything directly, shortly after viewing the previous thread and this thread, I am now getting recommendations to both Crowder's Videos about Carlos as well as his shitty acolytes videos trashing him too on YouTube.

Not harmful/hateful enough to ban or even take any action against, but A-OK to start promoting that exact material to people who have left any kind internet trail of history in reading about it.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i just don't get it. i mean, i do: Google doesn't want to alienate the shitty people that give them a lot of views. but what i don't get is the debate: "free speech" v "censorship" etc. who gives a shit. unwritten (or in this case, written) rules can be broken. if you have the power to stop someone from being a hateful asshole, you should take it. we deal with this shit all the time on forums. if someone is being a dick on your website, stop them from putting stuff on your website.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to think YouTube isn't in this for the betterment of society 🤔

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like google is a fucking awful company that is actively detrimental to society.

I really hope their console effort crashes and burns, the last thing we need is for this shitty company to give assholes more of a pipeline to people who play games.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
YouTube's moderation tools are not adequate for something like this, with busted wordfilters, loading errors, lack of wildcard support...

The problem (attention-seeking shitlordry) would be greatly diminished if there was a better system in place for handling abusive comments, which would reduce the POWERFUL incentive for people to be toxic on the YouTube platform, although in Carlos's case, he's been attacked on other social media platforms as well, including Twitter, where he's received a rash of death threats.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Update (also posted in the other thread, one of the threads should really be closed):

wow, that's some fast backpedaling

I have to partially disagree with Maza here. I can't speak to how much Crowder's making from merchandise sales, but he has nearly 4 million subscribers; it seems implausible that he won't take a significant financial hit from demonetization of his videos

but still, I agree that demonetization alone isn't enough and the videos should be pulled from YouTube altogether

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
How much of a moronic and primitive person must you be to find that Crowder fuckhead even remotely funny or smart.
Also fuck YouTube/Google and their hypocritical Pride marketing. Use ad blockers, people.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I have to partially disagree with Maza here. I can't speak to how much Crowder's making from merchandise sales, but he has nearly 4 million subscribers; it seems implausible that he won't take a significant financial hit from demonetization of his videos

Yep, looking at his channel's stats, he's making bank off those view counts (or was.) It's pretty much impossible for merchandise sales to come anywhere even close to approaching what he's been making off ads.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Buncha fuckin' clowns over at YouTube HQ. Their pride colored logo change is so hypocritical of them to even sport.

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
So, based on the reply from YouTube, this was reviewed by an actual person. Taking into account how this story has spread and how little the number of fucks given by Google, are people like Crowder and his followers really making these social media companies more money than those attacked?

It just seems like Google, Facebook and Twitter are consistently coming down on the wrong side of these issues, so how is this making them money?

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
So, based on the reply from YouTube, this was reviewed by an actual person. Taking into account how this story has spread and how little the number of fucks given by Google, are people like Crowder and his followers really making these social media companies more money than those attacked?

It just seems like Google, Facebook and Twitter are consistently coming down on the wrong side of these issues, so how is this making them money?

It's not just about money, it's about the garbage people who work there and own and run the company. They're trash.

collige

Oct 31, 2017

Crowder has 3.8 million subscribers.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You don't need to give YouTube money by watching their ads though.
Most channels has ways you can support financially without paying to YouTube and hope they pass enough to them to make a living.

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
Crowder has 3.8 million subscribers.

Yeah... disheartening. But would those people not just watch something else?

I guess the opinion is that these people just want to consume things that validate their world view rather than inform it, so if these companies were more willing to deplatform then these viewers would go elsewhere. I just dont know if I buy that completely.

You'd think Google et al. have enough analytical data to help nudge people towards more inclusive world views, yet all information seems to indicate that the opposite is true. So I have to assume that bigotry and hatred are actually more lucrative than the opposite and 3.8 million subscribers is a symptom of this push rather than the cause.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017

They make money because arguments on a website generate activity on their platform. That "engagement" turns the money crank for YouTube, and it doesn't care if it's a hot new music video or a hate monger.

Basically, a company like YT sets their policy by looking for the most controversy they can get away with reaping, without hurting somebody- and even then, the definitions of that hurt are set by them and not the community.

As a failsafe, their policy can and does go wrong. What's fucking awful is when faceless PR responses from YT just say "sorry, the rules are the rules!" instead of engaging with the community (the people the rules are supposed to serve) in any meaningful way, or commit to an actual reasoning for their policy.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
Must be nice to put on a rainbow and then just let a bigot promote shirts with derogatory language on your platform. Every video with a mention of that shirt should be taken down along with his "apology" video.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

They'll protect the people who they know, who look like them, and who keep them rich.

That's all there is to it.

WEGGLES

Oct 30, 2017
Yep, looking at his channel's stats, he's making bank off those view counts (or was.) It's pretty much impossible for merchandise sales to come anywhere even close to approaching what he's been making off ads.
There's still baked in ads, tho. Like how every youtuber has ads as part of the video itsself (Tunnelbear, skillshare, squarespace etc etc etc.)

He also still has a platform, but now gets to play the victim to direct further hate at a minority.

Should've nuked his channel. Deplatforming works, just ask Milo.

WEGGLES

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not disagreeing! I'm only pointing out that demonetizing his platform is taking a serious toll--likely north of a million dollars annually.

But yes, YouTube's trying to have their cake and eat it too with this weird half-measure.
Absolutely. I worry the lost revenue will be more than made up for by increased exposure and having a victim card to play for "censorship" or whatever. Plus the mugs he sells are $89...

koolaroo

Dec 27, 2017
Was he even being monitized on most videoes in the first place? I feel like half the left youtubers I watch pretty much never get monitized because YouTube seems to demonitize anything even mildly political.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Is there anyway to even verify that information? His videos may be demonetized simply because of its political nature.

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
Blame it on the Boogie.

MOD EDIT: tweet removed- we don't provide a platform for this individual

Last edited by a moderator: