• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
The tool, which enables viewers to contribute subtitles to a channel's videos, will be retired in two months' time.
In a YouTube Help article, the video sharing platform said it would be "discontinued across all channels after 28 September 2020".

"This feature was rarely used and had problems with spam/abuse so we're removing them to focus on other creator tools.

"You can still use your own captions, automatic captions and third-party tools and services.

"You have until September 28, 2020 to publish your community contributions before they're removed," it reads.

The news follows a previous announcement on the Creator Insider channel in April, where Product Manager James Dillard said in a video: "The reason that we're considering it ultimately comes down to not that many creators are ultimately using it."

liamodell.com

YouTube Axes Community Captions Feature, Citing Low Usage

The tool, which enables viewers to contribute subtitles to a channel’s videos, will be retired in two months’ time. In a YouTube Help article, the video sharing platform said it would b…

This is pretty crippling for deaf people and Youtubers that can't afford to hire people to do subs for their videos.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
This sucks. A few Japanese Youtubers I follow get regular fan subtitles in multiple languages.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
A day or two ago a post about people using this feature to advertise on PewDiePie's videos got to the front page of reddit. Timing seems too convenient. It sucks that people will have to bear the brunt of this because it got bad publicity among a shithead's audience.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. A lot of cooking channels seem to use this feature. I know Maangchi's does. I guess if most of the top moneymaking channels don't use it, it doesn't matter anymore... -_-

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I was just using that today for the joke "English (Canada)" captions that some Abridged anime have, love this feature. And yeah it sucks for people who legitimately need or benefit a lot from this on the videos they watch.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the video I watch are animations, and without community subtitles, I wouldn't be able to understand what's happening.
Underutilized? What a f*cking lie.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I don't understand why they don't make the feature opt-in or have some kind of manual approval process rather than axing it entirely.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
That's unfortunate. This allowed my wife and some other deaf folks I know to watch stuff from like, Marikiplier, as i"m pretty sure they're community created.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
This sucks. I rely on them sometimes and love it when some japanese content is translated. Hopefully they can get generated subtitles and captioning to work better.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
Automatic Captions are awful half the time and it really sucks this feature is going away, they say they allow third party tools, is there a third party tool that creators can use that works similarly?

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm not sure I understand why they would disable the feature. Like does it cost YouTube money to keep up or what? Because otherwise I feel like even helping a few people and making your platform more accessible would be a good thing, even if the majority supposedly don't use it

Jun 22, 2019
Removing this feature is really dumb and pointless even by YT standards. Hopefully enough people complain that so they reverse this decision.

I don't understand why they don't make the feature opt-in or have some kind of manual approval process rather than axing it entirely.

The channel owner already has to manually approve community subs, and when they do so, YT shows the google translated version of what the fan/s submitted. So if a creator is getting played, it's because they just chose to publish fan contributions without even taking a quick glance at them. You obviously won't know if the subs have proper grammar unless you know the language, but you'll know if a person typed completely unrelated stuff.

twentytwo22

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know it existed until like a week ago and have already contributed. Really lame that it is going away.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
YouTube being *unable to afford* anything sounds ridiculous.

Removing an ability for people to provide free closed captioning seems dumb.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is terrible, I'm pretty sure it was extremely useful. What is even the point of removing a feature?

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, what? I didn't think there was low usage??? Granted, I watch a lot of foreign content - but I've seen quite a few smaller English channels use them too.
I was planning on doing some work for some seiyuu's gaming channels too... boo

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This seems really ableist and internationally antagonistic. No one believes Youtube did this for money, they can afford to keep this "rarely used" feature in perpetuity. I doubt the amount of spam/abuse is more significant than the amount of times it's been beneficial.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
The channel owner already has to manually approve community subs, and when they do so, YT shows the google translated version of what the fan/s submitted. So if a creator is getting played, it's because they just chose to publish fan contributions without even taking a quick glance at them. You obviously won't know if the subs have proper grammar unless you know the language, but you'll know if a person typed completely unrelated stuff.
Oh, well that makes it even more pointless.

YouTube being *unable to afford* anything sounds ridiculous.

Removing an ability for people to provide free closed captioning seems dumb.
There is a 0% chance this is related to hosting costs. The data used by the video itself is many orders of magnitude bigger than plain text.

Last edited:

collige

Oct 31, 2017
From the article:
Meanwhile, around 0.2% of watch time comes from a video with a community caption track selected.
This is patently absurd when you consider that a huge percent of YouTube's views come from music, video games, and other domains where having captions wouldn't make sense in the first place. If they're gonna throw around percents like that, what they should be asking is "what percent of hearing impaired people have watched a video with community captions recently?"

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
YouTube are run by utter moronic boneheads. How much money does it cost them to have this feature enabled?! Idiots.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck youtube every design decision they made over the last 5 years has just been annoying for 0 reason.

Also fuck them ESPECIALLY for their garbage right wing pushing algorithm. Piece of shit company.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Yeah stfu low usage almost every single massive youtuber had this enabled.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
YouTube are run by utter moronic boneheads. How much money does it cost them to have this feature enabled?! Idiots.

All of Google seems to be a completely broken mess structurally. There is not direction and or thought put into anything. No plans beyond the next 1-2 years.

I am guessing the person in charge of this project might have gotten promoted or left and now no-one cares anymore.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Imo this is kinda like a store getting rid of handicap parking because not enough people needed them

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Did... did they expect it would have some kind of massive adoption?

It's a niche feature for niche audiences, whether a sub-section of a user's fandom that does not easily speak the same language, or disabled people using a service for the purposes of accessibility, especially if they're disabled and speak a different language than the creator.

If you boil accessibility down to raw metrics, of course people are gonna get screwed over. Heads up their asses on this one

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
I watch quite a few channels that are translated by the community, does this mean everything will be native language only?? That's awful.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Did... did they expect it would have some kind of massive adoption?

It's a niche feature for niche audiences, whether a sub-section of a user's fandom that does not easily speak the same language, or disabled people using a service for the purposes of accessibility, especially if they're disabled and speak a different language than the creator.

If you boil accessibility down to raw metrics, of course people are gonna get screwed over. Heads up their asses on this one

I think they knew as submitting subtitles was going to be an incentive for YouTub heroes.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
It's like Youtube inadvertently say to every non-English speaking Youtuber, go back to your pond we don't need you here.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I see this used all the time, at least in the corners of YouTube that I frequent. It's super handy to see proper, fan-submitted subs for videos, especially when the auto-subs generally are terrible. I don't see the benefit to outright removing accessibility features like this instead of thinking of ways to improve them. This is a shitty move.

Otherist

Oct 27, 2017
England
I imagine some big-money channel complaining about people abusing the feature matters infinitely more to YT management than the huge benefits it offers for accessibility and viewers of foreign-language channels. Typical.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Does it mean subtitles only or the video titles too? I just hate when titles are translated in my language, it's very misleading