• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's likely been covered, but making this point mentioned:

The problem is the FTC considered content in two categories for kids:

- Does the content appeal to kids (imagery, color images, animation, etc, are all listed as categories)?
- Does your content have cross over appeal, even if you aren't targeting towards kids?

If it's yes in any category, well... This is the biggest problem. It's incredibly vague how this is worded.

The problem is, I deal with video games that largely are E to T, with some M rated games. Many of which, are safe, but I don't target to kids. I've marked my channel not for kids, but the more I read about it, the more concerning this is becoming. Because my content has cross over to that demographic, I could be flagged for inappropriately marking my content and among other things, and I'm unsure as to how to approach this.

I'm not really a major Youtuber or anything and it's largely for archives on Twitch streams, clips, occasional random videos I make (YTPs on occasion), so-on-and-so-forth. But still, these policies are concerning.

This is going to affect all streaming platforms. This'll hit the hardest for sites that have user generated content, but could possible have a knock off effect on some streaming platforms (especially niche services that don't have nearly as much safety nets in place, other than locking out 18+ content, like Crunchyroll, VRV, etc.). So yeah, kinda worried about this.
Yeah this is the real problem

Obviously there are issues to address regarding the exploitation of children in YouTube, but vague rules and enforcement with very real and heavy penalties is not the answer.

Even if they're 'pretty good' at enforcing the right channels, there are going to be edge cases that fall on the wrong side and people that get fucked over just trying to make a legitimate living.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I know a few channels that will most likely have problems with this.

Like collectors of lots of things, from old consoles, to games, to figurines and old toys and talk about them. Those are hardly aimed at kids (as those shit don't really interest them and often cost a shit ton of money) but you can bet your ass that the algorythm will see Mario toys or something in the videos and interpret it as stuff for kids. I mean, how would be interpreted Netflix "The Toys that made us" ? An algorythm will see it FOR SURE as content for kids.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure he does, I hope he'll survive.

As currently structured, the YouTube "marketplace" incentivizes all kinds of unhealthy content & content creation that is otherwise heavily (and correctly) regulated in traditional media. We have a whole host of regulations covering everything from children's advertising to gambling to child labor laws -- all of them borne out of addressing past abuses -- which YouTube and many of it's creators have, up till now, ignored.

When I'm describing channels "exploiting underage viewers" I'm referring to these channels. If you're a content creator, you know what you make, and you've got the analytics to know who your audience is. I don't necessarily mean to imply they're sinister or evil, I'm just correctly identifying those who are targeting a protected audience.
Your argument that the creators are also at fault is kind of crazy. It's entirely YouTube. YouTube shouldn't allow children under 13. YouTube shouldn't have these creepy targeted big data ads. The creators are just making things they love like super cool Lego sculptures, and now suddenly they're preying on a protected group and taking advantage of them? Fuck that shit. They don't deserve to be punished. YouTube does, and YouTube should sort this shit out themselves. But they don't want to, and they want to keep collecting data and spying on people, and as usual creators get punished for YouTube's mistakes.

Last edited:

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I fail to see how any of this is bad

Kids videos shouldn't have targeted ads or comments. They shouldn't have the end cards spamming subscriptions or playlists intent on keeping you on their channel.
Yea, sure. Just wait until a content creator you like gets unfairly fined $42,000 because the FTC thought they were targeting children.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Your argument that the creators are also at fault is kind of crazy. It's entirely YouTube. YouTube shouldn't allow children under 13. YouTube shouldn't have these creepy targeted big data ads. The creators are just making things they love like super cool Lego sculptures, and now suddenly they're preying on a protected group and taking advantage of them? Fuck that shit. They don't deserve to be punished. YouTube does, and YouTube should sort this shit out themselves. But they don't want to, and as usual creators get punished for YouTube's mistakes.
Yep. Not everything is preying on kids.
There are a lot of bad channels, but this affects everything. Just needs to fit inside the FTC's extremely vague guidelines.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Your argument that the creators are also at fault is kind of crazy. It's entirely YouTube. YouTube shouldn't allow children under 13. YouTube shouldn't have these creepy targeted big data ads. The creators are just making things they love like super cool Lego sculptures, and now suddenly they're preying on a protected group and taking advantage of them? Fuck that shit. They don't deserve to be punished. YouTube does, and YouTube should sort this shit out themselves. But they don't want to, and they want to keep collecting data and spying on people, and as usual creators get punished for YouTube's mistakes.
Age restrictions on the internet have zero effectiveness since tbe dawn of it, the only way that would be feasible if there was a global database of user info that requires personal data far more sensitive then what they have now and there is no way in hell that would ever pass.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
The vast majority of the YouTubers I've seen complain about this explicitly target children so I don't really have any sympathy.

If your channel is almost entirely watched by adults then you should be fine.

Dan Olsen of Folding Ideas had a good thread explaining all of this. Really recommend people read this before coming to a conclusion:

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
What's your issue with Tim?

Him and his wife make theme park/roadside attraction visit videos and are completely up front if they're getting comped for the visit.

My issue is with them as people. They are scummy/scammy people. Who only got where they are by being the first, not being the best.

They've been doing this for 10+ years, and the only thing their videos improved at was going from SD to HD. 10 years, Jenn has had to learn how to edit, and she's still abysmal at it, it takes her upwards of 12-14 hours to edit a single vlog that is usually between 15-25 minutes long.

There is the fact in the early days of their channel they did a ton of stuff Disney frowned upon, that they haven't been smart enough to scrub from their Youtube history.

They have a habit of doing live vlogs, where they tell people up front "PLEASE DON'T SUPER CHAT" but they don't turn it off, and in return they still keep the money. That's kind of dirty if you ask me. There is a clear option to turn off the Super Chat feature but they instead plead ignorance that they can't find it, and pocket the cash anyway.

Then there was the time that Tim and Jenn had their minions go out and harass a little girl because she took a picture Tim took, posted it on her Instagram, tagged Universal Studios and they (Universal) liked it and in return reposted on their Instagram giving credit to the little girl. This didn't stop Tim and Jenn from having their fans go out and badger her and Universal until Tim got the rightful credit he deserved.

The Trackers lucked into a great situation, however with Jenn on the doorstep of having a baby their channel is going to take a huge nosedive in quantity, and most likely quality if that was possible. It will be interesting to see if they try to monetize Baby Tracker. People think the Trackers are this down to earth, average couple, but in reality they are nouveau "rich" elitists who think they are better than everyone else despite the fact Tim goes around looking for free handouts again and again, he's been getting turned down more and more because these companies are seeing Tim doesn't add much to the bottom line, since their reviews are trash tier they can't describe anything without the same 3 adjectives, plus the fact they have 700K+ subscribers and struggle to get 100-150k views should be alarming.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
The vast majority of the YouTubers I've seen complain about this explicitly target children so I don't really have any sympathy.

Dan Olsen of Folding Ideas had a good thread explaining all of this. Really recommend people read this before coming to a conclusion:

This is what concerns me and has me rolling my eyes out of my head at the sarcastic "won't someone think about the content creators!" posts:

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
This makes it hard for content creators but makes YouTube much safer for children. Why would anyone be more concerned about YouTubers than children?
Because this affects literally everyone with a YouTube channel with any amount of uploaded videos? Like even if you're a nobody without any kind of monetization on your videos.

The wording is just very vague and needs to be more clear or changed. I'm not willing to believe "they won't enforce it" when the writing gives them the power to if they choose.

And children shouldn't even be on YouTube in the first place.

Last edited:

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
It's likely been covered, but making this point mentioned:

The problem is the FTC considered content in two categories for kids:

- Does the content appeal to kids (imagery, color images, animation, etc, are all listed as categories)?
- Does your content have cross over appeal, even if you aren't targeting towards kids?

If it's yes in any category, well... This is the biggest problem. It's incredibly vague how this is worded.

The problem is, I deal with video games that largely are E to T, with some M rated games. Many of which, are safe, but I don't target to kids. I've marked my channel not for kids, but the more I read about it, the more concerning this is becoming. Because my content has cross over to that demographic, I could be flagged for inappropriately marking my content and among other things, and I'm unsure as to how to approach this.

I'm not really a major Youtuber or anything and it's largely for archives on Twitch streams, clips, occasional random videos I make (YTPs on occasion), so-on-and-so-forth. But still, these policies are concerning.

This is going to affect all streaming platforms. This'll hit the hardest for sites that have user generated content, but could possible have a knock off effect on some streaming platforms (especially niche services that don't have nearly as much safety nets in place, other than locking out 18+ content, like Crunchyroll, VRV, etc.). So yeah, kinda worried about this.

This shouldn't affect sites with curated content. COPPA isn't new, it's over 20 years old. Most sites already require you to be over 13 (including this one) so they'll be unaffected. Sites that do probably aren't collecting enough data to be affected.

YouTube allowed sub 13 kids to use the platform knowingly and collected a lot of data on them, which is a blatant violation.

This is what concerns me and has me rolling my eyes out of my head at the sarcastic "won't someone think about the content creators!" posts:

See his later posts:

If you're a small creator odds are this won't affect you. If you're a big channel then odds are you knew your audience was mostly children and took advantage of that.

L.E.D.

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, sure. Just wait until a content creator you like gets unfairly fined $42,000 because the FTC thought they were targeting children.

These rules are vague as hell and this whole thing seems rushed as all hell but the reality is no one wants to mark their videos as kid friendly because they will lose money.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
So a channel like Game Explain is gonna have to flag as for kids, but then none of their videos will have comments and have other restrictions.

I dunno how a channel like that would get round it.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This makes it hard for content creators but makes YouTube much safer for children. Why would anyone be more concerned about YouTubers than children?
No one has a problem with youtube becoming coppa compliant, it needed to be done from the start, however the way it's being done allows Youtube to largely get off the hook and pushes most of the burden of becoming compliant on individual channels that don't have the resources or responsibility that Youtube the platform does. This process is allowing Youtube to avoid the vast majority of responsibility it has for years of maliciously and knowingly breaking the law and they, along with the FTC, are not doing a good job of making it clear how this will effect average channels and help them make the transition.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
So a channel like Game Explain is gonna have to flag as for kids, but then none of their videos will have comments and have other restrictions.

I dunno how a channel like that would get round it.

They played Death Stranding a week ago. Hardly kid friendly that game.

Plus if they can prove they have very few kids watching this stuff they'll be fine even if the FTC goes after them.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
i'm reasonably sure that will never ever happen.

are you familiar with how flawed the youtube algorithm is? Content ID is full of false positives and abuse from 3rd parties. it's been a shitshow for years. It's not suddenly going to get better because the government is involved.

They've been doing this for 10+ years...
...they have 700K+ subscribers and struggle to get 100-150k views should be alarming.

That's called subscriber burn. The longer you've been doing it, the more prominent it gets (unless youtube starts pushing the channel again, which is rare)

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
I agree that youtube created the problem, but there are content creators who abuse this loophole, we have many examples of fucked up youtuber moms and dads, like daddyoffve, or even youtube channels that are 30 min videos of commercials for products to entice kids to buy, so that's why I think the FTC thing stepping in is a good idea.

But after reading what a lot of you said here, they d need to be more specific in their wording and approach, the vagueness opens up doors for a lot of possible errors in channels that are not impacting anything and can get caught in the crossfire.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
This is an stupid question but i have to ask: if you have a channel that focuses in content of just 1 or 2 games, and those games CLEARLY in the app store says its "13+ years" even that kind of channels that focus gaming content of games that are already labeled by google of 13+ years old can be focused and fined?

Oct 27, 2017
What if all of your videos are Private/Unlisted? Or you dont monetize? I just have a ton of videos from various games like COD/assassins creed/Just cause etc of funny clips for the most part.

Oct 28, 2017
Primarily review or cover nintendo? (Gamexplain, Arlo) less revenue. No notifications. No comments. Same with theory videos about cartoons or anime, art channels that mostly do cartoon styles, let's plays for many games. Shit is fucked up. YouTube is doing this in an inexcusable way.

How is this fucked up? That content is no doubt primarily consumed by kids. Or at least by a great many of them.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is this fucked up? That content is no doubt primarily consumed by kids. Or at least by a great many of them.
It's not the creators fault YouTube is violating FTC rules and to think the creators livelihoods should be destroyed because of this is crazy. YouTube needs to get their shit together, not nuke anything that may or may not be consumed by people under 13. That's the lazy, passing blame way to do it. This is all because of Google's ultra creepy ad methods that stalk people. Not creators.

It's disgusting seeing people blame this on the channels and saying they were taking advantage of kids. And it's also not the FTC or COPPAs fault either. Fuck YouTube in particular.

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
If your business model relies on the online targeting and exploitation of children...
But that problem is explicitly not being solved, is it? The FTC is saying they don't want targeted ads and tracking on children. Youtube doesn't know what to do, so they're asking the creators to mark themselves as making kid-targeted content or not, and if you do then they disable all targeted advertising entirely, and stop recommending or sending notifications for your videos. Then the FTC is following that up by saying they'll go after content creators directly.

This doesn't even solve much of the problem, let's be honest. While the grotesque and obviously kid-targeted channels with crap CGI nursery song music videos and Spiderman and Elsa "parodies" will rightfully get taken out by this, the letter of the law means that channels that do genuinely exploit children, but appear like they may be for a more mature audience due to the nature of their content (Logan Paul, Ricegum, Morgz, and so on) will probably get to continue on. Then, you'll have people like Arlo whose content is essentially a podcast series with long-form discussion about gaming news and the nature of the art and industry, with 90%+ adult viewership and explicitly targets a mature audience with its depth and attention-span requirement (he did a 7 part review of BOTW)... But since he represents himself as a blue Muppet and plays Nintendo games, he's at risk of being hit by the same system.

The only real way for the FTC to have what they want, for legitimate creators to not get taken down, and to have the illegitimate still held accountable would be for there to be some mechanism for Youtube to instantly identify the precise age of any given viewer as soon as they first come to the site. Youtube could then drive different advertising schemes based on the age of the viewer, not the nature of the content being viewed. Those creators who do actually exploit and rely on children would have their source of income dry up, regardless of their content, and the legitimate creators could go on as they were. Unfortunately, that's impossible.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What if all of your videos are Private/Unlisted? Or you dont monetize? I just have a ton of videos from various games like COD/assassins creed/Just cause etc of funny clips for the most part.
Unlisted or non-monetized videos shouldn't really be effected, but they may lose the ability to have users comment on them if youtube automatically flags them as kid-friendly, which will probably be frustrating to some users.
The issue is that youtube may make it impossible to make money on any kids-oriented content even if the viewers are predominantly not children. There's a real fear that even if 90% of the viewers who see your work are adults you will still lose most of the ability to monetize and network your videos for all potential viewers because some element of your work is similar enough to children's media, even if it is clearly not intended for children. At this point there appears to be no functional difference if your audience is 90% children or 90% adults if the subject matter of your work could potentially be of interest to children. That fear may be overblown, but given Youtube's traditionally heavy-handed approach which has offered few opportunities for appeals it is not unreasonable to be concerned that this will be a drastic and disproportionate response to the necessary implementation of coppa compliance.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone who creates YouTube content but hasn't seen it, YouTube released a video detailing how you can set your videos as 'For Kids' or not.

Edit: There's also an FAQ in the comments on that video.

If this is really about the children then why are creators being punished and not Youtube? Why is the FTC giving out vague terms for what is kids content?
Google/YouTube was punished (you can argue about whether that punishment was severe enough) and ordered to create a system that made it easier for Creators to comply with the law. They've done that, but if Creators feel that system is insufficient they should take it up with YouTube; the government almost certainly will if the system isn't good enough. As to "why use vague terms", let me ask you: define one that that is "Kid Only". Go ahead and try and I think you'll understand why they used vague terms: they have to. There are plenty of things (like video games) that certainly target kids, but are also widely used by and targeting adults. You have to be able to differentiate, and there are no hard lines for doing that. Creator intent is certainly an important factor, which is what the YouTube flag system is supposed to indicate.

Oct 26, 2017
This doesn't just affect your Pewdiepies and others that clearly target kids. What about Kim Justice, who makes videos about retro UK games? Or Lindsay Ellis or Patrick H Willems, who make deep studies of movies or media that are sometimes also kid related? These would definitely get caught in a superficial scan.

Everyone who makes videos about anything that is even remotely kids-oriented is potentially in trouble.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
It's really hard for me to have any sympathy for "YouTubers", which I know is the old timer in me, but a *lot* of them have been exploiting child viewership for profit (for quite a long time). Obviously there are outliers, and it is unfortunate for them, and I hope they persevere, they don't deserve to suffer because of shit bags who've ruined it for everyone else. Hopefully the FTC listens accordingly and better defines the terms to which content creators must adhere to in order to protect themselves.

Nope. We do not target kids and our analyicts seems to back that up.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Nope. We do not target kids and our analyicts seems to back that up.

I should have edited my original post to include this, but a few posts down I mentioned that I'm speaking to the Personalities like Logan Paul, etc, along side parents who have their children doing "Toy Reviews" (which I too feel is exploitive of both the child and the children watching).

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
A random 40 year old guy from the FTC won't care. He'll see Mario and Pikachu and say those videos are for kids. Maybe not Bayonetta or Metroid.

I was addressing the point that it's fucked up, not how the FTC will perceive it

I should have edited my original post to include this, but a few posts down I mentioned that I'm speaking to the Personalities like Logan Paul, etc, along side parents who have their children doing "Toy Reviews" (which I too feel is exploitive of both the child and the children watching).

Gotcha, that's fair. There are definitely YouTubers that exploit that demographic, the rest of us are just concerned of being painted with the same brush

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i have a channel that does mostly Nintendo stuff but the under 18 audience is less than 10% of all views according to the analytics.

what can i do about this? set the channel as "for kids" or as "not for kids"?

also, how do you disable targeted ads? i can't find that in the options. are all ads in this category or something?

Last edited:

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I was addressing the point that it's fucked up, not how the FTC will perceive it

Gotcha, that's fair. There's definitely YouTubers that exploit that demographic, the rest of us are just concerned of being painted with the same brush

Yea, I can certainly see the concern, particularly among gaming channels. It's honestly time that YouTube starts doing some more rigorous age verification, moderation, and content curation, but that just seems like such an impossible undertaking, given how absolutely massive YouTube is.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
They can do all this but not flag white nationalists huh
Right? My optimistic side is hoping that a crackdown on white supremacist and bigoted BS on the site will follow on the heels of this but this is the same company who basically outlawed LGBTQ+ content.

Ah Thanks for posting this thread

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're confused just watch friendly Nintendo content creator Arlo explain it for you.

The main problem seems to be these really broad definitions of what could legally fall under content for kids, just being colorful is enough to be deemed as for kids. That's absurd put as one witty commentor put it, adults only see in grey scale.

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
I don't really feel comfortable using YouTube at this point knowing they actively manipulated children and effectively got away with it with a huge profit. The FTC rulings are harsh, but at the same time I prioritize children avoiding sick content over people getting AdSense. I wish the good ones good luck, but the whole platform is tainted now.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the right and necessary thing to do. Sucks that creators can't use targeted advertisements to children, too fucking bad for you. It's disgusting if you want to target ads to children in the first place. You can still advertise to children, you can still profit off of children, you just can't profit with targeted, tracking and behavioral based advertising programs. If this infuriates you, you need to look in the mirror and take stock of how you're making money.

If that means "Pixel Dan," who based on his concerns I assume is a grown adult playing with children's toys on a YouTube channel, is spotlighted by the FTC...? Too bad for you, clean up your act. If Pixel Dan is simply documenting toys for adults either as a buying guide or some sort of historical documentary, then I'm sure the FTC won't target him unfairly. MAybe there will be some growing pains as COPPA is starting to be enforced, maybe it will be used unfairly to remove content or penalize creators in the first few years, but whatever, for too long we've done nothing because we've been afraid of punishing the good actors for a "handful" of bad actors. We've lived in the wild west for too long, and the FTC and technologists have mostly just ignored the changing market... They focus a lot on children's advertising on TV and children's programming on broadcast media, but have done practically zero when it comes to internet-based children's entertainment, which is where the majority of children are routinely turning for entertinment today. It's well past due. 20 years past due that the FTC actually propose something with teeth.

Just a couple days ago someone embedded a kids video here, a song and dance video obviously intended for children on YouTube, that had a jump scare from the Exorcist -- an R Rated horror movie -- embedded in the middle of it at about 3mins. They didn't know when they were sharing it and none of us adults would have noticed it except one person realized and was like "uhh, this has a jumpscarre at 3mins, did you mean to share that?" The viddeo content was clearly intended for ~2 year olds, and for the last 15 years there's been no enforcement about that and no enforcement about people profiting on that. It's a shame that

Realistically, there will be no teeth. Pixel Dan can still make videos.

First off, one unquestionable result of YouTube's changes to its kids content policies is a sizable loss of revenue for most, if not all, of the people making content aimed at children. Because YouTube is no longer allowed to target ads at children based on data collected from them (specifically "cookies" that track their history of online activity), YouTube channels that have kids videos as their bread and butter will take a serious hit—targeted ads based on data collected by YouTube pay more to content creators versus general ads that are not targeted. Which means anybody who marks their content as aimed at kids—a mandatory decision that will need to be made before posting videos—will almost certainly make less money than they did prior to the changes.

I can believe, but my stomach turns, at how offended this Nerdist article is. Like, "OH NO creators cannot make profit off of TARGETED ADS to children." Get your priorities in order.

Children cannot consent to be tracked online. They're below the age of being able to give consent. So if your "bread and butter" as this nerdist article puts it, is tracking children and then advertising to them based on behavior that they cannot consent to, then perhaps you need a new bread and butter.

This is also the result of a legal injunction against Google. It's the law. For most of internet history, platforms like YouTUbe have used curiously written laws (Well one big one) to shield them from the behavior of their users, and users have been protected by anonymity and easily skirting regulations. This isn't how it should be. I know this is how it has been, but it shouldn't be this way.

The video from YouTube seems rreally clear and straight forward:

Is your video for kids? If yes, tag it that it's for kids. If it's not for kids, don't. YouTube will, in general, respect how you tag your videos and advertise responsibly on it. But by law they're being compelled to use machine learning algorithms to also find videos that are targeted for kids and are mislabelled. This seems like the responsible thing that YouTUbe should be doing in addition to putting an honus of responsibility on creators to be honest and responsible with their content. The algorithm is going to get a lot wrong, it may unfairly take away your targeted advertising for a video that you swear is not for children, too bad, the risk is not worth the reward.

People saying "Wait, so YouTube doesn't ban white nationalist content, but now they're not letting me use targeted ads to children anymore? That's unfair!" No, it's not unfair and it's not inconsistent and the two things aren't related. For one, there is no law that is compelling Google to take ban white nationalist content, maybe there should be, but there isn't. There is a law compelling Google to not use targeted advertising to children who legally cannot give consent to be targeted - COPPA. Google had a suit against them and they had to settle it, and this is the result. Further, though, beyond the legal obligation of YouTube, is the simple fact that if you're trying to justify why you should be able to use targted ads to profit off of children who cannot legally consent to being targeted, you should feel slimy by trying to use the status of white nationalist videos to justify the profit motivations of your YouTube channel. Further, just because YouTube does a shitty job filtering white nationalist content does not mean that they cannot simultaneously prevent targeted ads to children on their platform, those two issues are different things and their inaction on one of them should not dictate inaction on another.

Last edited:

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Just a couple days ago someone embedded a kids video here, a song and dance video obviously intended for children on YouTube, that had a jump scare from the Exorcist -- an R Rated horror movie -- embedded in the middle of it at about 3mins.
Such a video wouldn't be in trouble under the new guidelines as the Exorcist clip would not be classified as kid content under an algorithm.

Stuff like Arlo and GameExplain would be in bigger trouble.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can believe, but my stomach turns, at how offended this Nerdist writer is. Like, "OH NO creators cannot make profit off of TARGETED ADS to children." Like, get your priorities in order.
I think this is the wrong take, people are not upset because some channels will no longer be able to profit off of ads targeting children, they are upset because Youtube operated this way for years, never informing content creators the advertising they were offering was illegal, was given a very lenient financial penalty by the FTC, and the system that they are creating to ensure that everyone is compliant with US law going forward is complex and difficult to understand. They're upset that they are once again being told that Youtube's automated systems will work and manual appeals will be available, when this has never worked as advertised with content ID and their other automated programs. They're upset that Youtube is not providing them with adequate support to understand exactly what this entails and their advice boils down to "figure it out yourself and get a lawyer".

Whether or not that frustration is justified is another matter I suppose, but that's where their frustration lies. I don't see anything in the article in the op that indicates people are particularly upset that they can't target ads to kids, it's all about the way the policy change is being implemented and communicated

Last edited:

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This shouldn't affect sites with curated content. COPPA isn't new, it's over 20 years old. Most sites already require you to be over 13 (including this one) so they'll be unaffected. Sites that do probably aren't collecting enough data to be affected.

YouTube allowed sub 13 kids to use the platform knowingly and collected a lot of data on them, which is a blatant violation.

Gotcha, so that should be status quo then for those sites. That was a concern I had given how some of the wording was, so I suppose that shouldn't be an issue.