• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The two fastest growing platforms in Japan are PC and mobile. I'd get even more aggressive with getting big name developers on board with game pass, chase some of the more elusive publishers, seek out studios with more risky or niche projects awaiting funding, and offer a platform for the steadily growing indie scene over there. Xbox hardware will never sell well over there, especially in light of home consoles declining in popularity. But get xcloud onto mobile and a more robust game pass for pc, and the Xbox brand still has a shot.

Oct 30, 2017
I do nothing except pay for Xbox one ports of Japanese games, because it's not worth doing anything more than that because the Xbox will never be a success in Japan.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I mean if you've been to the major electronic stores in Tokyo you'd find that the single rack of Xbox is usually tucked away in a corner next to or AFTER the Vita section.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
An exclusive game combining the talents of Sakaguchi, Toriyama, and Uematsu will surely save the xbox in japan!

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Probably spend a few months vacationing in Japan and rubbing elbows with any big devs who'd take a meeting, and then when corporate asks me why I'm not getting any results tell them, "Cultural differences" and tender my resignation.

May 15, 2019
Partner with a Japanese consulting company that knows the market and culture better than my American ass. The only things I personally think are musts are make sure it's at launch in Japan and get some decent Japanese support at launch. If Xbox wants a presence in Japan they need to make a decent footing immediately before the PS5 automatically takes the market.

Edit: Honestly I'd also probably abandon the Xbox name there entirely in favor of something that isn't impossible to say in Japanese. Not like there's much attachment to the brand there outside of a hardcore niche that'll know it's still the same product.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Do whatever it takes for this boy to know what's a Xbox...

source.gif

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Make a lifesize Xbox Series X Gundam and promote that shit in Shounen Jump

You think I'm fucking joking

Nov 4, 2017
Close up shop in Japan, move everything to India, leverage their giant, under-utilised tech workforce to make a "China Hero" style project, making games by Indians for Indians. Sachin Tendulkar Cricket 20XX, Dynasty Warriors style game with Krishna and the Hindu pantheon, Bollywood tie-ins. Start printing rupees.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I just don't see it. Sony struggles in the console space there with pretty much universal third party support.

Feb 1, 2018
Pull out. They don't really care, why should you? Double down on core markets (EU, NA, Aus) instead. Let Sony and Nintendo have JP, focus on making Xbox the largest overall gaming platform instead

A Nintendo and Xbox merger isn't too far fetched though

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phil Spencer rings you up as says "Okay you, the board just gave me blank check so compete properly in Japan. You have my blessing to do whatever it takes."

What would you do? How do you make Xbox a competitive brand in Japan?
Ask for a guaranteed salary with contract provisions on a buyout.

if it's an at-will position and not being forced to do it, thank him for the opportunity but politely decline then start my job search elsewhere

if an at-will position and being told to do it, thank him for the opportunity and then start my job search elsewhere

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I wouldn't necessarily want to just go the portable route, even though I think that'd be "safer" in a sense, as I'd prefer to have a unified experience from region to region. I think it's important for Xbox to continue to compete in terms of power with PlayStation, but I'd take a different approach with the system UI to make it seem more personal. I think it'd be interesting to build in some sort of A.I. that you could interact with on a system level to encourage users to show the system more attention more often. Maybe even have an avatar of sorts represent the system itself, and its mood would change based on how often you were playing and what sorts of accomplishments you made in games. You could maybe even earn in-game rewards to give your avatar as "gifts" or whatever. I think this sort of approach could even work really well outside of Japan, and the system avatar could be anything from a person to an animal, maybe even characters from certain games.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Throw all the money in my disposal into a Monster Hunter exclusivity deal.
Make sure its on nothing else.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Try to get Xcloud on as much hardware as possible. Keep building relationships with japanese developers/publishers and get their games on the service.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
The Xbox failing in Japan always felt like a Nationalism thing. Like, how do you convince a country to BUY AMERICAN instead of supporting the consoles from their own country?

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
It's not really that important. They seem to do fine without it.
No matter what they do (3rd party money hat exclusive route, buying studios, giving shit out for free) its always painted into a negative light.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Invest in pushing it in Korea instead, market it as a SFF PC and not a game console.
I agree. The PC bang market is huge there. I'd like to see some korean game developers on the level of the korean movie industry.

Actually, Samsung is probably better suited to make a games console than google is.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I'd say invest in Arcades. Forget the console, it's a joke in Japan anyways. But if you start making arcades and the likes, you'll probably do well since they are less picky there

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Buy PlatinumGames for a start. Then one other major developer. Produce console exclusives geared toward that market, even if it has less international appeal.

Hire a new marketing team with proven track record in the region and find ways to incentivise people to switch to Xbox. I feel it needs a specific approach with laser focused campaigns. Sony and Nintendo just have so much brand loyalty and I feel that's something you buy over decades not just a few years. And they haven't shown that commitment. They profess to where possible but there is not enough commitment.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Build a JRPG studio, and a series that goes more than 20 years with every new games evolved & improved, bringing new fans & more sales.

If those above finally realized, rub it in SIEJA's face too.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Whilst I don't think it was wrong attempt to gain a foothold in the Japanese market I think it was a big mistake by MS to focus on Japan over the EU. The 360 made good strides into the EU compared to the original Xbox but MS have let this slip.

The irony is I think they probably would have earned themselves better Japanese support had they focused more on the EU because it seems like most of the big Japanese games are targeting the West now anyway.

To answer your question at this point I'm really not sure. I think it would take a significant investment which I just can't believe wouldn't be better spent elsewhere.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
Make a portable Xbox or market Xbox as prebuilt gaming PC?

The Xbox failing in Japan always felt like a Nationalism thing. Like, how do you convince a country to BUY AMERICAN instead of supporting the consoles from their own country?
Well then please explain why iPhone sold much better than Sony's phone in Japan. In fact I think Sony's phone is pretty much dead.
Free 12-pack toilet paper with each Xbox.

Solved.
You mean free Toto toilet for each Xbox?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Does MS have enough money to buy all of Japan? If so, buy Japan. Once that's done, outlaw all consoles except Xbox. If that doesn't work then institute law making Xbox ownership and Game Pass subscription mandatory. If that doesn't work then I steal as much money from MS as I can and disappear into the night and start a new life as ftpviv.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pimp out the visual and audio of the system while opening it up to a media/modders/tweakers dream and make it smaller and cheaper well after launch with miniaturisation, so many PS3s sold because of that Blu-ray baby. Bankroll Japanese devs/indies and open Xbox arcades with wacky and fun games that require the weirdest peripherals for home console consumption. Localisation of games development and talent with focused releases. Basically hybrid what Sony and Nintendo have success with some plus physical presence all under the Xbox brand.

Hell an Xbox games arcade/café with regular characters and mini shows, invite devs/fans to events. Xbox turning Japanese.

Sasaud

Oct 28, 2017
I would start by collecting talents for a couple of years then start developing a pokemon clone using Ghibli's art with a budget of a halo.