• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Phil Spencer rings you up as says "Okay you, the board just gave me blank check so compete properly in Japan. You have my blessing to do whatever it takes."

What would you do? How do you make Xbox a competitive brand in Japan?

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
nothing because this topic has been asked a thousand times and the situation hasn't changed at all

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Invest in pushing it in Korea instead, market it as a SFF PC and not a game console.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I tell them I know all about Japanese culture from Anime. They respect me for watching Anime and the women throw themselves at me because come on, a weeaboo gamer is the ultimate Chad.

Also I make a new Halo Anime.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Make a Manchurian Candidate style shell company, make arcade/pachinko games, mobile games, and a Switch competitor.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Order takeout, take in Japan sightseeing places and than call it a day and close shop. Xbox can do nothing in Japan. And this topic has been asked a few times already.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Change the name, hide any involvement from Microsoft & start a dummy company tailored towards JP sensibilities. I also don't release any Western made FPS on the JP console to keep people off the trail.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Team up with Sega, release the Series X with a Dreamcast 2 branding and heaps of revived IPs.

It will still fail, but at least I'll get what I want...

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
Xcloud I guess, just try to get whatever 3rd party games that are popular in Japan on the service

TortadeJamon

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
I buy Sega, revive a bunch of old properties and make all Atlus games exclusives. Wanna play Persona? You know which console to buy.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Keep the trajectory they're doing now. Pay for ports, keep talking to Japanese Devs to get them on board, get gamepass launched in Japan sooner than later.
MS will never lead in Japan, but they can definitely get back to the 360-era if they treat the region with respect.

nothing because this topic has been asked a thousand times and the situation hasn't changed at all

Eh, I wouldn't say things haven't changed. They did get worse though compared to the momentum they had from OG Xbox to 360. Since it was clear Japan was not a major thought for them when pushing Xb1. Regardless of that things are getting better now. Japanese players are finally getting games they've been wanting (there was a lot of excitement for Yakuza 0) and there are plans for gamepass to finally hit over there.

MS will never be a big player in Japan and it'll never be a are they can win. But getting things back to the 360 level would be good. That was a time where they were a strong niche and did well for what they were. I'm still surprised how much 360 stuff I found just walking around japan regularly and not even going out of my way to find it. Especially when compared to the null the Xbox One had.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Buy Sega, Capcom, and Fromsoft, get all of their catalogs on xcloud, Xbox, pc, and switch. To win the Asian market after being behind nearly 20 years you need a full assault.

Lockdown remasters, ports, and other new exclusives from nearly every Japanese studio and create a new mobile game studio under Xbox game studios

Microsoft has enough capital to do nearly anything and own any market in the gaming space it's all about is it worth it to the company as a whole or just to console warriors.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017
Fund a construction project that builds additions on Japanese homes so that they can accommodate a Series X.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
You mean what do i do in my free time, right? Probably ride a bike alot. Great place to ride.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Buy controlling shares of Sega, have them localize all XGS releases and have them setup as a 3rd party publisher to help bring asian games out west. Let them rebrand the Xbox as the Dreamcast X in asian and other weaker territories.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Launch a first party division dedicated to gacha phone games. Hire the top animu artists in the field of waifu to create the "assets" for the games.

It's either that or buy Nintendo. They could make 10 first party games with the budget of Lost Odyssey without it helping. The Xbox brand is not in great shape there. I doubt people are that into streaming either when Nintendo offers portable console quality games already.

Oct 27, 2017
Tell the Japanese I am an expert on Japanese culture.

Then try to buy Sony and Nintendo, get told no and finally spend the money on a drunken binge with Tak Fuji.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
Forget the (physical) console space; no one else in Japan thinks about you in that capacity, anyway.
Instead tell everyone in Japan that Xbox = Xcloud/Azure. Transiting to work? Of course you are. Play some Xbox on your phone.
Then hope that the console experience really does translate well to mobile (touch controls as integrated buttons, etc). If so, maybe you can sell some Game Pass subscriptions in Japan.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
If it's the brand, and not the hardware?

Do what it takes to get GamePass on the Switch, I think. Incorporate XCloud streaming for games that won't run natively. Make sure localizations for key games are available. Market the hell out of it, and get some good Japan-oriented exclusives that are only on XCloud.

Also possible: make a really slick official cell phone controller dock accessory that's XCloud-compatible. Again, the games and marketing need to be there.

I don't think there's any world in which dedicated XBox console hardware will do well, but a focus on portables + streaming (with Japan's comparatively great internet speeds and latency) might work out.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
What they did with 360 and japanese game support for the launch of the 360 was great but instead of abandoning all of them after they launch their game, they would get continued support.

Actually very curious who was in command to get all those great jrpgs on 360.

Oct 28, 2017
Make everything playable on phones, and partner with SEGA for the console name.
Team up with Sega, release the Series X with a Dreamcast 2 branding and heaps of revived IPs.

It will still fail, but at least I'll get what I want...
Buy controlling shares of Sega, have them localize all XGS releases and have them setup as a 3rd party publisher to help bring asian games out west. Let them rebrand the Xbox as the Dreamcast X in asian and other weaker territories.

You know what, I think you may have something here.

Sega Mega Drive Series X (SMDSX)

Oct 26, 2017
Not bother releasing Xbox consoles in Japan (they barely sell at all and should just be extra stock for the west) and instead just make Nintendo systems the primary destination for Japanese games and family IPs that Microsoft owns, like Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Blinx, Banjo-Kazooie, etc. Making sure to self-publish them to rake in all the profits.

Minecraft on Switch is well over a million sold on Switch in Japan and was self-published by Microsoft Japan. It is by far their highest selling game of all-time in Japan.

Eagledare

Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (2 Months): Graphic Commentary and Perpetuating Xenophobic Stereotype; Account in Junior Phase
Hire a crew to stuff soiled panties into every box. Done.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
infiltrate Xbox games into someone else's hardware via xCloud. Apparently they will do it with the Switch.
moving hardware? Meh, doubt it.

DenseProtag

Oct 26, 2017
This is both a simple and difficult question, as the Xbox brand has never been particularly popular in Japan for various reasons. As such I feel a focus on niche titles may be the best bet, essentially with Sony's shift to a more Western brand including moving the HQ to California, try to use the money from said check to outreach to smaller developers and various AA teams. Nippon Ichi Studios is in a bad spot right now but has some solid IPs people adore, so it'd certainly be doable to give them the cash they need to finish the new Coven of Dusk sequel and as a stipulation make it an Xbox One timed exclusive, possibly revive some older IPs like Soul Nomad as exclusives.
NIS, Idea Factory, companies like these give a decent niche to their competition so funding them to make Xbox exclusives would help a lot towards increasing brand adoption and retention and aren't so big that they wouldn't care about financial assistance. Get some new studios based in Japan through that Xbox Japan branch to make more bizzare and experimental stuff like what the original Xbox and early 360 had. Maybe even try to get Marvelous to switch development of Senran Kagura 7Even from Playstation to Xbox if the creator is willing to return to working on it, then he could make the game he wanted as an Xbox exclusive and a brand like SK would bring in plenty of people if Playstation simply wasn't an option.
Outreach and expand, convince developers that you want to see their visions come to life unhindered and the gamers will come along for the ride.

Also avoid canceling anything because it probably hurt their rep when Scalebound fell apart.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I would visit the One Piece real life size ship

cfxb7p4ueae4fze.jpg

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I don't even release a console.. I release a handheld which will have it's own library of games, and any game that would function from Xbox consoles on the handheld, I would release. I would put up money to get exclusive made Japanese games and focus a lot on the type of games that are popular over there and try to make some new IP to appeal to that base.