• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pink and Moist or Dry as Fuck?

• Pink and moist

Votes: 450 39.8%
  • A little pink

Votes: 552 48.8%
  • I like my burgers so dry I have to drown it in condiments

Votes: 73 6.4%
  • Just give it to my dry as fuck...I'll find a way

Votes: 57 5.0%

• Total voters

Ryaaan14

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Burgers and steaks medium rare

Mothafuckas almost always give me a medium or medium well burger regardless tbqh

Maso

Sep 6, 2018
I order steaks medium for leeway, burgers medium well or well done. At home I eat steaks rare to medium rare.

I second 85% for well done burgers. It makes a a world of difference.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I feel kinda sad for people who think anything cooked beyond medium can only be categorized as "dry as fuck".

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I feel kinda sad for people who think anything cooked beyond medium is "dry as fuck".
It really does depend on the cut of meat it comes from. If people are buying walmart steaks that have zero marbling, I don't doubt it's quite dry. But that said, those steaks are also going to be tough and gross even when cooked to medium which is where you see all that meat mallet and liquid tenderizers come in and *shudders*... yeah.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel kinda sad for people who think anything cooked beyond medium can only be categorized as "dry as fuck".
You're right. I always do steaks medium rare but one night had a guest who insisted on well done. In truth I didn't know what the fuck well done even meant, so I had to learn. What I cooked for her ended up looking quite appetizing. Not how I'd prefer, but I wouldn't have said no, were it offered to me.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Another one of these threads haha. I like my steak with no pink, and if you go anywhere worth their salt it will certainly not be dry.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You're right. I always do steaks medium rare but one night had a guest who insisted on well done. In truth I didn't know what the fuck well done even meant, so I had to learn. What I cooked for her ended up looking quite appetizing. Not how I'd prefer, but I wouldn't have said no, were it offered to me.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: the best way to know you're in a great restaurant or that someone is a good cook is to ask for a well-done steak, cuz any run-of-the-mill cook can do up a medium rare, but a proper well-done takes some skill.
So not to boost your ego, but chances are that congratulations are in order for getting it right.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've said it before and I'll say it again: the best way to know you're in a great restaurant or that someone is a good cook is to ask for a well-done steak, cuz any run-of-the-mill cook can do up a medium rare, but a proper well-done takes some skill.

I've heard similar about a california roll at a sushi place. If they can make a california roll well, then you know they can make any roll well.

Oct 27, 2017
medium

R8H6lsZ.jpg

online, especially, i've noticed MANY "elitist" types who think they're absolutely superior for liking "medium rare" steak ... ugh go away and let others enjoy what they like srs.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Medium rare for steak, medium for burgers.

medium

R8H6lsZ.jpg

online, especially, i've noticed MANY "elitist" types who think they're absolutely superior for liking "medium rare" steak ... ugh go away and let others enjoy what they like srs.

There's nothing elitist about knowing "well done" is a crime against proper food preparation.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Steak medium rare. Burger I do whatever they do as standard at their place, which tends to be medium.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Burgers are medium

Steaks are either medium rare or rare, depending on my mood. If it's a place that has a tendency to slightly overcook it I'll go with rare.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why does it matter if you're out with friends or family? Would I be expected to order differently if they weren't there? So weird.

dumbyugi

Oct 25, 2017
Burgers and steak both well done. If your steak is dry just because you cooked it well done then that means you fucked up cooking it. If I order a well done steak at a restaurant and it comes out medium well I'll eat it, anything less and it's getting sent back.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
All meat, any meat. If it's not well done I'm not touching it. Have never had an issue with well done meat being dry.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Don't most chefs consider anything above medium rare as a crime against food itself?

I've had medium rare they are delicious as fuck. I don't want to eat charcoal.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Poll is strange. I don't know anyone who gets all forms of beef done the same way.

Steaks are rare.
Burgers are medium-medium well.
Beef in more complex dishes (Eg. pasta) should be well done.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
For a burger I like it medium-rare. Very pink and juicy inside, but a good enough sear that the burger won't just fall apart.

For steak it depends on the cut. Tenderloin is good blue-rare. It's also great for raw preparations like tartare or carpaccio. Well-marbled cuts like ribeye need a little more heat to get the juices flowing so medium-rare works better. Outside skirt steak is absolutely great rare, but also impossible to find in most grocery stores, and inside skirt steak is a bit tough when rare, so you need to cook it just a tad longer. And so on and so forth.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There's nothing elitist about knowing "well done" is a crime against proper food preparation.
Yes, because everyone knows that one of the great qualities of the non-elitist is condescension.

Also...

I converted from Medium Well about 10 years ago and am no longer an unwashed heathen.

But yeah, elitism isn't in play in this topic. Sure. I believe you.

Don't most chefs consider anything above medium rare as a crime against food itself?

I've had medium rare they are delicious as fuck. I don't want to eat charcoal.

No, that's some server and dudebro urban myth. Most chefs find people who eat medium and rare to be worse orders because they are more likely to send their meal back to satisfy their need for the "perfect" steak or to have the appearance of being a connoisseur among their peers, which causes more food waste, since you can't uncook a steak. Medium well is the preferred order among most chefs, as it is the least likely to be sent back, since patrons who choose it do so under the rightful assumption that it might be a little over or under and find either option equally appealing.

And if you don't want to eat charcoal, stop eating at shitty restaurants or learn to cook better?

Last edited:

Greyham

Dec 15, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Derogatory language; history of similar infractions
This poll is bullshit and biased and you should be banned from talking about meat forever because you are obviously talking about burgers but you include steaks and even the fucking government treats them differently. You left out raw, rare and almost medium rare. Yes, ground beef (burger) should be cooked to 155 F internal temperature but the patron can choose to have it however the fuck they like it. But whatever, order your food the way you want it. Be a grown up and make your decisions in life. Since this entire thread seems like you are 19 years old, I say order the fucking thing rare, so you can show your family that you have branched out and explored new things in life.
They will either:

1. Be impressed, realize they are culinary retards or NOT FUCKING CARE. Their lives might be overthrown..or NOT, they might realize they have been ordering the wrong temperature their whole lives, some might have an epiphany and scream that they want your flesh...Um, I mean I've seen it.

2. This is what you want to avoid. They might think you are now a liberal. Because only baby murderers would eat meat that was "that" red. Please be careful. If you ordered your food less than everyone else you may be at risk of being labeled as a free thinker....fuck that, am I right?

3. Assume you are going to try to topple the government because Dear Leader only eats meat well done with ketchup.

4. Want to kill you because you actually made this a thread.

Good luck weirdo,

Sincerely,
All the real people in this world.

P.S. I like you. But you suck. P.M. me

Last edited:

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the establishment. If I'm at a really nice steak house and am confident they know what they are doing, I'll order rare steak. Otherwise medium or even medium well if it's just some common chain restaurant and I don't want to risk food poisoning.

I never order rare beef. Burgers are always ordered medium well with just a tiny amount of pink.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Thread title suggest you would order differently if you were eating alone.

Meduim steak
well done burger

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
If you grind it yourself or ask your butcher to grind it right there, you are pretty safe with rare burgers.
Burgers are just ground up steaks. And better burgers are ground up better steaks
As previously mentioned the difference is that bacteria often begin cultivation on the outside where the steak is cooked. The hamburger has bacteria mixed in.
However most of its safe.

Also there is no objectively best way to cook meat contrary to what some will have you believe. Sometimes I'm not in the mood for the taste of blood , which is a distinct taste , and other times I am. With a good cut like a prime rib it doesn't matter either way. But for well done it's gotta be off as soon as it's cooked or it'll be fried to shit

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As previously mentioned the difference is that bacteria often begin cultivation on the outside where the steak is cooked. The hamburger has bacteria mixed in.
However most of its safe.

Also there is no objectively best way to cook meat contrary to what some will have you believe. Sometimes I'm not in the mood for the taste of blood , which is a distinct taste , and other times I am. With a good cut like a prime rib it doesn't matter either way. But for well done it's gotta be off as soon as it's cooked or it'll be fried to shit
There is no blood in meat. It's myoglobin. This reinforces the usual ignorance from people who like their meat cooked to leather.

And yes, medium-rare to rare is objectively better. Overcooking a prime cut is disgusting and a waste, eat fast food instead.

Last edited:

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
If I stick my fork in the steak and it cries out in pain...... that's fine with me.

Team Rare AF Steak!!

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
You can make a good well done steak. It's just difficult.

Can't make a good well done burger though.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy rare or medium rare for steak. Only times I've ever had a pink burger was in the States.

Don't think it's a thing Canada.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
im not sure why it matters who im with if im ordering a steak for myself. med-rare.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Just about every top chef in the world would disagree with this statement, but I guess they're the ones who are wrong.
Just about every top chef in the world would disagree with the notion you can make a well done steak as good as or better than a blue, rare, or medium rare steak. And, thus, what's the point in them serving them any other way? Especially with the time and effort it takes to get a well done steak that isn't dry as the Sahara. That is not the same thing as not being able to make a good one.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
This poll is bullshit and biased and you should be banned from talking about meat forever because you are obviously talking about burgers but you include steaks and even the fucking government treats them differently. You left out raw, rare and almost medium rare. Yes, ground beef (burger) should be cooked to 155 F internal temperature but the patron can choose to have it however the fuck they like it. But whatever, order your food the way you want it. Be a grown up and make your decisions in life. Since this entire thread seems like you are 19 years old, I say order the fucking thing rare, so you can show your family that you have branched out and explored new things in life.
They will either:

1. Be impressed, realize they are culinary retards or NOT FUCKING CARE. Their lives might be overthrown..or NOT, they might realize they have been ordering the wrong temperature their whole lives, some might have an epiphany and scream that they want your flesh...Um, I mean I've seen it.

2. This is what you want to avoid. They might think you are now a liberal. Because only baby murderers would eat meat that was "that" red. Please be careful. If you ordered your food less than everyone else you may be at risk of being labeled as a free thinker....fuck that, am I right?

3. Assume you are going to try to topple the government because Dear Leader only eats meat well done with ketchup.

4. Want to kill you because you actually made this a thread.

Good luck weirdo,

Sincerely,
All the real people in this world.

P.S. I like you. But you suck. P.M. me
What the

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Steak is medium rare

Burger is well done because the processing that goes into ground beef makes it less safe to eat if not cooked fully.