• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
This is fucking ridiculous. Do you even care about whether or not it happened versus whether or not an accusation is made? Believe women doesn't mean guilty unless proven innocent. If you don't care to know the difference between that and treating allegations seriously, you're never going to see systemic abuse among political circles actually tackled as an issue; It'll just be kept secret until someone decides they want to advance their career, and then exposed on a case-by-case basis, when politically convenient.

Is that what you want? Abuse to continue until a judge decides they want to become a senator? Alleged hollywood wifebeaters to be damned unless they have tapes of their accusers admitting to being violent? Abuse to continue until rumblings about a senator running for president begin to be raised? Abuse to be kept under wraps after a majority of delegates have been decided in presidential primaries? I'm sure my mother, who is an abuse victim, would have liked to know about these allegations before she casted her vote for biden on super tuesday, and for these allegations to have been vetted, so she could make an informed fucking decision before the 11th hour of the election cycle.

We deserve to know what's going on and I'm fucking sick of seeing people rush to judgement without even bothering to investigate, it turns abuse into a silver bullet for elections and ruining people's lives instead of an actual fucking problem we're trying to tackle as a society

Let's ask the man himself:

EUJT7UiU4AALorB

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's ask the man himself:

EUJT7UiU4AALorB
Okay, so now what? The allegations have been made, they're going to influence people's votes because they're out there and there's presumably a reason for them being made.

Now we wait for more information.

Note that I didn't say anything about presumption, but judgement.

Last edited:

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I told my mom about this tonight. She hadn't heard about it yet, and she fucking lost it on me over it.

I think for a lot of people beating Trump is going to be more important than this woman's story.

TokyoJoe

Oct 28, 2017
I told my mom about this tonight. She hadn't heard about it yet, and she fucking lost it on me over it.

I think for a lot of people beating Trump is going to be more important than this woman's story.

Not surprising, they really want Trump gone and will ignore injustice. Just remember women put Trump where he is even though his character was clear for everyone to see.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
I see people throwing the word rape out around here but to my understanding I haven't heard of any cases of Joe Biden allegedly raping anyone.

This case is an accusation of sexual assault, right? That's no less serious, but we should be using the correct terms if we are to have a discussion about this.

If I'm wrong then disregard this post.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I see people throwing the word rape out around here but to my understanding I haven't heard of any cases of Joe Biden allegedly raping anyone.

This case is an accusation of sexual assault, right? That's no less serious, but we should be using the correct terms if we are to have a discussion about this.

You're wrong, he shoved his fingers on her. That's rape.

Apr 21, 2018

My interpretation of the allegation was that it was rape. I didn't listen to the audio interview though, not sure if I can.

Deleted member 11046

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nov 3, 2017
Not surprising, they really want Trump gone and will ignore injustice. Just remember women put Trump where he is even though his character was clear for everyone to see.

This is a real life Trolley Problem and I'm concerned that people in thread don't fully appreciate that. You are framing this as "ignoring injustice", but I worry that in the end we are going to be standing in the polling booth with these 2 options. I wish it wasn't so, but I think it is, and I have an obligation to the world to try to make it better given the tools that I have, not the tools that I want.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

Presumably they have some made up definition of rape that is only valid if genitals are inserted into each other. Weirdly, no official definition of rape explicitly specifies usage of a penis, so calling the correct definition of rape an "update" is... I don't know.

This is a real life Trolley Problem and I'm concerned that people in thread don't fully appreciate that. You are framing this as "ignoring injustice", but I worry that in the end we are going to be standing in the polling booth with these 2 options. I wish it wasn't so, but I think it is, and I have an obligation to the world to try to make it better given the tools that I have, not the tools that I want.

It's only a trolley problem if Biden is nominated. The election is more than half a year away. The Dem convention is 3 months away, if it doesn't get postponed due to the virus. Don't settle for a rapist as the nominee maybe?

Oct 26, 2017
Actually the primary hasn't ended. So it's not a trolley problem. And if the primary voters decide to pick Biden with this knowledge in hand it's on them.

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
Presumably they have some made up definition of rape that is only valid if genitals are inserted into each other. Weirdly, no official definition of rape explicitly specifies usage of a penis, so calling the correct definition of rape an "update" is... I don't know.

The UCR definition of rape was revised in 2013. The acts alleged in this case would not have met the prior definition.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Newsweek is covering it. It's also a really good article. Probably the best yet

www.newsweek.com

Joe Biden's sexual assault accuser wants to be able to speak out without fear of "powerful men"

"These accusations are false," said Deputy Campaign Manager and Communications Director Kate Bedingfield.
Well, Newsweek did a great job in clarifying Grim's reporting about Time's Up involvement and actions within this. It would have been terrible had they not tried to assist her, but evidently, they were in the process of helping her get the right legal representation until she went cold on March 2nd.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Actually the primary hasn't ended. So it's not a trolley problem. And if the primary voters decide to pick Biden with this knowledge in hand it's on them.

I mean, primary voters already picked Biden with the information that he had a consistent problem with inappropriate touching, so I feel like this is going to be water under the bridge still unfortunately.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Newsweek did a great job in clarifying Grim's reporting about Time's Up involvement and actions within this. It would have been terrible had they not tried to assist her, but evidently, they were in the process of helping her get the right legal representation until she went cold on March 2nd.

I think this comment buries the lede. They denied her help because they thought it would be electioneering, and after months of inaction she got frustrated with the process and decided to take matters into her own hands.

Worth noting that the PR person in charge of Times Up here was Anita Dunn, who is Biden's senior campaign advisor, and also ran free PR for Harvey Weinstein when he was first accused. Both of these seem like gross conflicts of interest.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
I believe her. Unfortunately the Russian/Putin praise along with strong political leanings towards Biden's primary opponent will largely be seen as disqualifying in the minds of the general public should the story go national.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I think this comment buries the lede. They denied her help because they thought it would be electioneering, and after months of inaction she got frustrated with the process and decided to take matters into her own hands.

Worth noting that the PR person in charge of Times Up here was Anita Dunn, who is Biden's senior campaign advisor, and also ran free PR for Harvey Weinstein when he was first accused. Both of these seem like gross conflicts of interest.
We simply have very different understandings after reading the original Intercept article and the Newsweek article, I guess.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017

Imagine being a organization who want to support women but won't if the perp is running for office.
I'd claim it would be election interfering if they don't investigate.
No action is also an action.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
I believe her. Unfortunately the Russian/Putin praise along with strong political leanings towards Biden's primary opponent will largely be seen as disqualifying in the minds of the general public should the story go national.
There's two components that suggest this likely won't be treated seriously by the public at large.
1. This is a larger, more severe, secondary accusation from someone who had already told a previous account. Do we have any evidence that a case like that will be treated with added sensitivity or constraint?
2. This was first presented through Halper, Taibbi and The Hill. There is going to be a NYT, WSJ, WP article that essentially contains the lines: "The accusation was first stated on Halper's podcast, who is a Rolling Stone writer and major contributor to The Hill. The second interview occurred on a The Hill show hosted by Krystal Ball. The Hill is most known for being the source and propagator of the Burisma and Cloudstrike conspiracy theories used by the President to harm Biden's campaign. This resulted in Trump's impeachment from the House."

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hate Biden, HATE HIM.

but if he is the presumptive nominee, any progressive American allowing Trump to continue as president for four more years is actively going to make life worse for most people in their own country, its neighbours and the world.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
but if he is the presumptive nominee, any progressive American allowing Trump to continue as president for four more years is actively going to make life worse for most people in their own country, its neighbours and the world.
seriously wish people on this site would wait till he was at least actually the nominee before pulling the whole, "nothing we can do but vote for a rapist cause he's opponents even worse" routine. While its unlike this will affect his chances of becoming the nominee, there is still time to at least try to get something done about this

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
seriously wish people on this site would wait till he was at least actually the nominee before pulling the whole, "nothing we can do but vote for a rapist cause he's opponents even worse" routine. While its unlike this will affect his chances of becoming the nominee, there is still time to at least try to get something done about this

The poster said 'if' he's the nominee.

But unless he bows out willingly he is 'probably' the de facto nominee.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yup. And especially doing it in this thread (rationalizing voting for Biden) of all places. Shameful

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
The lack of any energy from a lot of the common posters here to do something about Biden is pretty revealing. He is not the nominee yet, how about we do something to change course?

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
The poster said 'if' he's the nominee.

But unless he bows out willingly he is 'probably' the de facto nominee.
The fact that their response is about beating Trump even in the thread focused on the allegation itself is further evidence of the mindset of most of the posters here. While I understand why so many Americans have this defeatist mentality of automatically jumping to "oh well guess its between two rapists, just gotta move on" cause of the shitshow of electoral politics is amplified considering the mess of the system in the US, its one that really needs to challenged and changed in order for proper positive change, such as making it clear that rapists aren't supported by both of the main parties, to happen.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that their response is about beating Trump even in the thread focused on the allegation itself is further evidence of the mindset of most of the posters here. While I understand why so many Americans have this defeatist mentality of automatically jumping to "oh well guess its between two rapists, just gotta move on" cause of the shitshow of electoral politics is amplified considering the mess of the system in the US, its one that really needs to challenged and changed in order for proper positive change, such as making it clear that rapists aren't supported by both of the main parties, to happen.

The only other viable candidate is Bernie, and voters are constantly picking other people over him, namely Biden.

There is no time or even the chance to try and replace Biden this late in the game, maybe if this story happened last year or there wasn't a global Pandemic it might've possible.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
If course they're going to say that. They need to save face since they won't help somebody because the person they're accusing is in politics. That had to be the worst excuse. What is even the point then? They didn't even disclose their conflict of interest.

jchap

Oct 27, 2017
Wish I could say I was shocked at the lack of media coverage.... Isn't it better for this to blow up now while there is still a chance to change course to less of a creep.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
The only other viable candidate is Bernie, and voters are constantly picking other people over him, namely Biden.

There is no time or even the chance to try and replace Biden this late in the game, maybe if this story happened last year or there wasn't a global Pandemic it might've possible.
There is absolutely still time, and while the pandemic makes it even harder, it is still possible. Just because success isn't likely doesn't mean we shouldn't try anway. Everyone should be trying their damnedest to prevent him from becoming the nominee, whether it be by supporting Bernie, or making a stink about how he should drop out and ask for one of the other moderates to get back in the race, if thats allowed I don't know the rules in that regard, if you're a moderate and don't like Bernie. I understand that this could all very well still end in him being the nominee but the very act of people trying to prevent it would still at least mean something, would at least make it clear that people aren't okay with a rapist becoming the nominee.

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
It's amazing how broken that country is that even the left in America encourage you to vote for someone who commits sexual assault and can barely string a sentence together.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People really need to stop using the Johnny Depp incident as some manner of justification or evidence that Joe might not be getting a fair shake. The two situations and men at the center of these accusations couldn't be more disparate.

Depp has substance abuse problems but no history of violence. When Heard made her accusations, several of Depp's ex-relationships came out publicly in his defense, as did many of his friends who talked about Heard being a bad influence on him.

Biden has a history of sexual harassment and an unsettling propensity to violate the personal space of women. He has been accused of sexual harassment by at least eight women to date and bears all the signs and indicators of being a sexual predator.

Some of you on this forum are fucking gross. Full stop.

Why the mods aren't handing out more perma-bans I don't know.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

If the Democratic Party doesn't want a sexual harasser and rapist as their nominee, there's most assuredly time to do something about Biden. For one, his endorsers need to come out and publicly denounce him and pull their support and the Party leadership needs to lean on Biden to resign from the race ASAP.

Bernie doesn't have to be the alternative and moderates clearly don't want him but they should work with Sanders and the other candidates to figure out a replacement. It's a mess to be certain but they need to sort this shit out for two reasons:

First, electing this fuck is morally repugnant. Pragmatism has its limits and I do believe we've reached the line.

Second, these allegations will potentially tank his run in the general. Letting him cinch the nomination and run in the general is very poor strategy.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 week): ignoring the staff post
The lack of any energy from a lot of the common posters here to do something about Biden is pretty revealing. He is not the nominee yet, how about we do something to change course?

This issue, spread over various threads, has exposed what progressives on this forum already knew:

Most of the membership here are rank and file moderate Democrats who lean in hard regarding identity politics but who also seem to fall into formation with neoliberalism, corporatism, imperialistic military intervention, etc.

Go to a real progressive space and you won't see people praising Hillary Clinton or hand-waiving away Obama's illegal and egregious use of drone strikes.

It is what it is.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how broken that country is that even the left in America encourage you to vote for someone who commits sexual assault and can barely string a sentence together.

We on the "left" aren't telling anyone to do anything.

At worst some of us are simply going by the logic of "lets see what else drops before making judgement". You are sorely mistaken if you think we like Biden, or even want him. We need more details and more information before jumping to any conclusions. Let's listen to her and take her allegation seriously. Corroborate where/if we can, ask around where we can't and see if some more shoes drop and/or others come out.

At the end of the day, if this turns into he said/she said it is difficult to see this moving the needle. Irrespective of whether he did or did not do it getting action as drastic as "step down from the race" with just her word against his is incredibly difficult. It took numerous people and courage just to bring Weinstein to his knees. Hell look at R. Kelly; his disgusting behavior was an open secret and it took almost a decade after the initial accounts to finally land the killing blow. If you take a swing at someone like a presidential candidate...you best not miss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.