• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (1 week): ignoring the staff post
This is the same DNC and Biden campaign that urged people to go out and vote during a pandemic. That it was okay. They won't do anything unless under extreme pressure. Hopefully the news outlets will help with that

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
I remember this coming out on here but never saw it in the news. Really glad this is being taken more seriously.

Bradwaung

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We should take all sexual assault victims seriously and give them all the support we can. But the accused should also be given the benefit of the doubt and be considered innocent till proven guilty. Haven't recent mistakes tought you anything? Let the police investigate before you all pass judgement.

Deleted member 14459

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We should take all sexual assault victims seriously and give them all the support we can. But the accused should also be given the benefit of the doubt and be considered innocent till proven guilty. Haven't recent mistakes tought you anything? Let the police investigate before you all pass judgement.

What recent mistakes? The most common mistake, seen here as well, is starting a sentence in regards of sexual assault with "we should listen to the victim...but..."

Bradwaung

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 month): dismissing concerns regarding sexual assault allegations
What recent mistakes? The most common mistake, seen here as well, is starting a sentence in regards of sexual assault with "we should listen to the victim...but..."
For christ's sake yes, we should listen and take them seriously. But you should also the the police and the justice system do their job. We live in a civilised society were the court still decides whether you're guilty or innocent; not mobs on the internet who think they know everything.

Acting like an angry mob every time a victim comes forward doesn't help them at all.

Deleted member 8644

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For christ's sake yes, we should listen and take them seriously. But you should also the the police and the justice system do their job. We live in a civilised society were the court still decides whether you're guilty or innocent; not mobs on the internet who think they know everything.
What exactly do you think the police and justice system can do in this case?

Deleted member 14459

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For christ's sake yes, we should listen and take them seriously. But you should also the the police and the justice system do their job. We live in a civilised society were the court still decides whether you're guilty or innocent; mobs on the internet who think they know everything.

What mistakes precisely - your sentence clearly indicates particular cases in relation to reported sexual assaults/rape, so please elaborate?

Yes, "we should trust the police and justice system", that is exactly what "recent events" have taught us... Calling the US a "civilized society" considering all our police brutality, rapist-in-chief as president etc. is also pushing it.

edit: I see. You are in France. Your country's fraught/dismissive relationship to metoo is well recorded. I would also kindly suggest you familiarize yourself with the US justice system before giving advice how we should "trust the system".

Last edited:

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017

Acting like an angry mob every time a victim comes forward doesn't help them at all.
The police are corrupt murderers and there's a rapist sitting on the highest court in the land. Fuck the police and the justice system.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

So you came into this thread about this woman sharing her story, without engaging anyone, to post "we should listen to victims, but..." Great contribution. You can really tell you're not politically motivated. Also, you realize he isn't actually being put behind bars, right? This is just now coming out, and your main priority — based on how much you address it in your post — is to do damage control for Biden. Great look 👍

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
What exactly do you think the police and justice system can do in this case?
Its from 1993, statute of limitations for Washington D.C. on sexual assault is 15 years. There is nothing police/the justice system can do.

Rolling Stone (the person who posted the audio co-hosts a podcast distributed by Rolling Stone, "Useful Idiots") in 2014 published a story alleging gang rape at a UVA fraternity without verifying details to the point where every named person/organization in the story has since sued them, following Rolling Stone's retraction.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019

The police aren't exactly well known for dealing with normal rape victims with the respect and care they deserve, you think when the accused is a rich and powerful man, potentially one whose going to become the most powerful man in the country, that the cops will do jack shit? Especially when plenty of them are abusers themselves

Deleted member 14459

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its from 1993, statute of limitations for Washington D.C. on sexual assault is 15 years. There is nothing police/the justice system can do.

Rolling Stone (the person who posted the audio co-hosts a podcast distributed by Rolling Stone, "Useful Idiots") in 2014 published a story alleging gang rape at a UVA fraternity without verifying details to the point where every named person/organization in the story has since sued them, following Rolling Stone's retraction.

OK, I understood the post to refer to something recent, as it said "recent mistakes"...,I think tbh he was referring to metoo at large. We will probably never know bc I don't think he'll be back to elaborate.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Yea. That shit scares the fuck out of me. His ardent supporters seem to be fucking RABID, and bringing him up at all right now is a terrible look. This, by any measure, should be absolutely catastrophic news for the entire world that would echo for a generation.

This is cataclysmic.
I'm seeing far more people bringing up Warren. It's pretty disgusting. At this time we need to focus on listening to this woman and not putting Biden in any more positions of power.

This sounds like it was common behavior from Biden, so there must be more victims out there. Hopefully they feel safe enough to come forward.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
OK, I understood the post to refer to something recent, as it said "recent mistakes"...,I think tbh he was referring to metoo at large. We will probably never know bc I don't think he'll be back to elaborate.
If he meant this forum the Amber Heard/Johnny Depp thing was pretty recent.

FYI, if anyone is interested Biden's Chief of Staff from 1976 to 1995 was Ted Kaufman. He filled Biden's senate seat i '09 with the stated intent to not run for re-election.

Kaufman's chief of staff, Jeff Connaughton, was a Biden staffer from 1988 and has written a book about his disillusionment with the political system in which he frequently criticizes Biden.

This is a story with enough threads for any journalist interested to get some meaningful answers.

The reality is that one of two things will happen:
A. The secondary parties (Kaufman and other Biden staffers) will have some level of exonerating support for Biden.

or

B. Enough smoke will emerge for Biden to suddenly have a totally unrelated personal reason justifying him withdrawing from the race.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Yea. That shit scares the fuck out of me. His ardent supporters seem to be fucking RABID, and bringing him up at all right now is a terrible look. This, by any measure, should be absolutely catastrophic news for the entire world that would echo for a generation.

This is cataclysmic.
It's not that strange the victim herself said this. I mean why wouldn't people want someone that's not been credibly accused of rape as the nominee? Regardless of which other candidate it is (aside from Bloomberg).

Past issues really shouldn't matter a rapist shouldn't be president which leads people to look at alternatives.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

FYI, if anyone is interested Biden's Chief of Staff from 1976 to 1995 was Ted Kaufman. He filled Biden's senate seat i '09 with the stated intent to not run for re-election.

Kaufman's chief of staff, Jeff Connaughton, was a Biden staffer from 1988 and has written a book about his disillusionment with the political system in which he frequently criticizes Biden.

This is a story with enough threads for any journalist interested to get some meaningful answers.

A. The secondary parties (Kaufman and other Biden staffers) will have some level of exonerating support for Biden.

or

B. Enough smoke will emerge for Biden to suddenly have a totally unrelated personal reason justifying him withdrawing from the race.
Even if there's enough smoke I doubt Biden will go. It's his last chance to be president and doesn't seem like the type of person to care. I mean he ran while knowing about all those creepy out there full knowing more could come out.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been following that closely enough then, did not know that Depp had been accused of rape. My apologies.
He had been accused of domestic violence against ex-wife Amber Heard. It was recently revealed that she was largely the instigator of physical assault in the relationship, per her own words on audiotape.

Even if there's enough smoke I doubt Biden will go. It's his last chance to be president and doesn't seem like the type of person to care. I mean he ran while knowing about all those creepy out there full knowing more could come out.
For all the "dems just as bad" commentary in this thread the simple fact is he can't win if there is credible corroboration to this, and I don't think Biden is interested in losing to Trump and having his legacy largely eradicated by a credible charge of rape.

Also the gap between Biden being "creepy" (not respecting personal space and inappropriate but not aggressive touching) and this is just about the size of the pacific fucking ocean, so lets stop with the equivocation on that front.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Also the gap between Biden being "creepy" (not respecting personal space and inappropriate but not aggressive touching) and this is just about the size of the pacific fucking ocean, so lets stop with the equivocation on that front.
I'll need you to expand on the "aggressive touching" bit. At what point do you separate aggressive touching from inappropriate touching?

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
I'll need you to expand on the "aggressive touching" bit. At what point do you separate aggressive touching from inappropriate touching?
Grab 'em by the pussy v. hand on shoulders.

basically is it inflicting pain, involve genetalia, forcibly directing a person or restricting their physical movement.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This isn't a good example as that was a news source making a mistake vs...the actual victim/person making the claims.

or

This.

Deleted member 4274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He had been accused of domestic violence against ex-wife Amber Heard. It was recently revealed that she was largely the instigator of physical assault in the relationship, per her own words on audiotape.

For all the "dems just as bad" commentary in this thread the simple fact is he can't win if there is credible corroboration to this, and I don't think Biden is interested in losing to Trump and having his legacy largely eradicated by a credible charge of rape.

Nahhhhhh... you are reaching like a morherfucker. The fucking mental gymnastics in this thread...

*edit: I may misunderstanding what you are doing here, but imma keep this comment in case my reading comprehension isn't broken.

basically is it inflicting pain, involve genetalia, forcibly directing a person or restricting their physical movement.

literally what Biden is accused of. Ironic.Would have to see how you reacted to Trumps audio...

Last edited:

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't a good example as that was a news source making a mistake vs...the actual victim/person making the claims.
The accuser literally falsified the existence and correspondence with the person she claimed took her to the party and cheered on her sexual assault. She was later sued for not turning over all evidence she had regarding the story and it was revealed that the "Haven Monahan" persona came from an email address she controlled. I'd say that puts the claims of the alleged victim in that case in dubious light.

Nahhhhhh... you are reaching like a morherfucker. The fucking mental gymnastics in this thread...
What part and what mental gymnastics?

If you're going to respond do so with an actual fucking take.

Deleted member 14459

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sorry, now I am confused. What is exactly the connection between this and Tara Reade's recount of rape?

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, now I am confused. What is exactly the connection between this and Tara Reade's recount of rape?

None. You were speculating on what that previous poster was referring to. I provided a comparable example from the same parent publication as the person who released this and a recent Resetera thread arc where people had a bit of a realization on another he said/she said scenario.

farmland

Oct 30, 2017
Why would anyone be surprised by this? He touches women and girls inappropriately in public and from my experience if a person does bad things in public generally they're worse in private.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Whoops just noticed I posted in the wrong thread, anyway, after checking Google no mainstream media is picking up on this so looks like they're going to bury it. Disgusting.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Whoops just noticed I posted in the wrong thread, anyway, after checking Google no mainstream media is picking up on this so looks like they're going to bury it. Disgusting.
Or maybe they'll actively investigate it?

Ms. Reade's original claim directly implicated Biden's Chief of Staff as being involved in sidelining her and ending her career. That person was, presumably, Ted Kaufman, a former senator, who was Biden's Chief of Staff until 1995.

Up until yesterday evening this was another inappropriate touching story. Problematic for sure but the media has reported on them with Biden in the past and never seen meaningful traction in public response. This is on an entirely different level and no major outlet is going to report it without actually trying to corroborate it in some way.

Deleted member 4274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What part and what mental gymnastics?

If you're going to respond do so with an actual fucking take.

How is one close to the other. Why even bring up the Heard situation? How are these situations even similar? You're comparing cherries and fucking pineapples. Both fruit, but worlds the fuck apart. So why?

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
How is one close to the other. Why even bring up the Heard situation? How are these situations even similar? You're comparing cherries and fucking pineapples. Both fruit, but worlds the fuck apart. So why?
I'm not comparing anything and maybe read the thread. Someone made reference to a recent similar unnamed similar situation in the abstract, another poster asked what they might have been referring to. I provided two possible examples.

Heard/Depp thread was pretty damn large on this forum and the UVA Rolling Stone story was referenced in either this thread or the TimesUp thread (can't recall which) so both were relevant to this forum's discourse pertaining to abuse allegations, the older of the two to this specific pair of topics.

Oct 27, 2017

Like this?
eKcBG6R.gif

gsCQBtP.gif

Deleted member 4274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not comparing anything and maybe read the thread. Someone made reference to a recent similar unnamed similar situation in the abstract, another poster asked what they might have been referri to. I provided two possible examples.

Heard/Depp thread was pretty damn large on this forum and the UVA Rolling Stone story was referenced in either this thread or the TimesUp thread (can't recall which) so both were relevant to this forum's discourse pertaining to abuse allegations, the older of the two to this specific pair of topics.

aight... I read through the thread. Based on some of your comments, I seemed you were angling towards some fuck shit. You say you're not I'll take you at your word.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
These were always hard to watch, but after this allegation it's even more unsettling. There's no longer any doubt in my mind that Biden is a predator.

The people who were dismissing this as a "harmless way for him to show his affection" need to do some reflection. This is exactly how predators are able to get away with their behavior. They do it out in the open.

Deleted member 28564

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I asked for two reasons. The first reason being that Biden has been accused laying his hand on a woman's thigh, slowly kissing a woman on the back of her head and grabbing a woman and pulling her to him. These are among other accusations. I see there are eight accusations in total. The second reason I ask is because I don't think it's appropriate to make light of anyone's experience with sexual harassment or their perceptions of it. Calling an act by Biden merely 'creepy', when some of his accusers considered his actions to be harmful, is disrespectful to say the least.

I'm not saying that this was your intention, but that's how it can be read.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Bordering on it, those are all taken from photo ops where politicians are given a bit more pass for positioning but I'd personally take serious issue with someone touching my daughter like that.

I don't have any interest in arguing the semantics of when physical contact crosses the line from inappropriate to assault (since that isn't something anyone can label for another person or in all situations). The point of the original response was that treating these incidences as comparable to a claim of actual rape is not going to help shed light on the far more significant claim made yesterday. The American public has seen all of this before and generally tacitly accepts it as old guys being old guys, as depressing as that might be. A claim of actual sexual assault has been made, respect the difference there and let it be investigated as best as possible.

ok....

I asked for two reasons. The first reason being that Biden has been accused laying his hand on a woman's thigh, slowly kissing a woman on the back of her head and grabbing a woman and pulling her to him. These are among other accusations. I see there are eight accusations in total. The second reason I ask is because I don't think it's appropriate to make light of anyone's experience with sexual harassment or their perceptions of it. Calling an act by Biden merely 'creepy', when some of his accusers considered his actions to be harmful, is disrespectful to say the least.

I'm not saying that this was your intention, but that's how it can read.
This is an open forum. Everyone can read anything into what they want. The tilting at windmills regarding the posts I put up pertaining to Rolling Stone's UVA case and the Heard/Depp events are an example of that.

Kind of like this post of yours. I didn't refer to Biden's behavior as creepy, I replied to someone else who did and my use of the word was specifically in quotes. But people read things different ways even when the actual context they're missing is all of 20 posts up this very page.

Me personally, I think context matters. Biden's behavior in a personal setting with friends has been described, by those who's photos have been used to paint him in a negative light, as a positive personal moment (such as the photos of him with Stephanie Carter).

Biden doing what is in the above gifs with young kids for photo ops isn't a massive departure in physical act but, in my opinion, frequently crosses the line on appropriate behavior towards a minor that isn't your own child.

The claim made by Ms. Reade prior to yesterday is, by contemporary definition, actual sexual harassment with civil court merit to back it up. I'd be interested to see what kind of investigative work journalists did regarding those late 2019 allegations.

Power dynamics matter on topics like what kind of touching/physical space is appropriate. A lot of similar actions from Biden but in different contexts they all carry dramatically different meanings.

You know what doesn't require relevant context? Fucking rape. So lets not act like these are remotely comparable accusations.

Last edited:

Deleted member 28564

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Kind of like this post of yours. I didn't refer to Biden's behavior as creepy, I replied to someone else who did and my use of the word was specifically in quotes. But people read things different ways even when the actual context they're missing is all of 20 posts up this very page.
I'm mostly basing my thoughts off those definitions you provided. After using the term 'creepy', in quotes as you say, you defined the term as "not respecting personal space and inappropriate but not aggressive touching". Later, you drew contrast between inappropriate and aggressive touching by defining aggressive touching as "basically is it inflicting pain, involve genetalia, forcibly directing a person or restricting their physical movement". By your definition, however, Biden is guilty of aggressive touching. This specific accuser did not consider this specific encounter sexual harassment. On the other hand, others have voiced feelings of powerlessness (also in regards to power structures, as you touched upon) and harm for what you would only consider to be inappropriate according to that earlier definition.

My point is that I simply do not think that we should apply our scales of harm to their experiences, when we were not the victims of Biden's harassment in the first place. That said, if you feel powerless after being sexually harassed, it goes further than mere inappropriate conduct.
You know what doesn't require relevant context? Fucking rape. So lets not act like these are remotely comparable accusations.
I'm not discussing the rape allegation. I'm discussing a third party's interpretation and contrasting of "inappropriate and aggressive touching". That original post of yours seemingly threw several instances of sexual harassment under the umbrella of "not respecting personal space and inappropriate but not aggressive touching". Which is not your call to make or define in the first place.

Last edited:

Deleted member 14459

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That you shouldn´t blindly believe everything people say without any sort of proof,like the people that were crucifying Depp because what that woman had said.

OK, so basically it's just another argument against "I Believe Her" as the starting point... also appreciate the use of "that woman", hammers the point down very well.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
I'm mostly basing my thoughts off those definitions you provided. After using the term 'creepy', in quotes as you say, you defined the term as "not respecting personal space and inappropriate but not aggressive touching". Later, you drew contrast between inappropriate and aggressive touching by defining aggressive touching as "basically is it inflicting pain, involve genetalia, forcibly directing a person or restricting their physical movement". By your definition, however, Biden is guilty of aggressive touching. This specific accuser did not consider this specific encounter sexual harassment. On the other hand, others have voiced feelings of powerlessness (also in regards to power structures, as you touched upon) and harm for what you would only consider to be inappropriate according to that earlier definition.

My point is that I simply do not think that we should apply our scales of harm to their experiences, when we were not the victims of Biden's harassment in the first place. That said, if you feel powerless after being sexually harassed, it goes further than mere inappropriate conduct.
1. in the top half of the post you just quoted I said "that isn't something anyone can label for another person or in all situations". So sure, we agree that inappropriate action depends on a wide variety of contexts, including the perspective of the infringed upon person.

2. Sexual harassment is not entirely dependent on the accuser's personal definition. As an example, while sexual harassment as criminal offense isn't something we could legitimately enforce as a society, and therefore rely on civil proceedings to give victims justice via financial restitution, for public servants, like senators, it should be an explicit moral infraction worthy of expulsion. It shouldn't take the harassed saying "I felt harassed", it should simply require proof of inappropriate behavior committed through abuse of a power dynamic.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
That you shouldn´t blindly believe everything people say without any sort of proof,like the people that were crucifying Depp because what that woman had said.
That wasn't the reason it was mentioned in this thread, FYI. It was an attempt to fill in a void left by another poster who didn't follow up after leaving a vacuous comment.
OK, so basically it's just another argument against "I Believe Her" as the starting point... also appreciate the use of "that woman", hammers the point down very well.
In the correct and egalitarian form "Believe Women" (which itself is problematic because it overlooks male sexual harassment/abuse/assault) should refer to giving all claims merit for investigation on their own right. It doesn't mean the accused is a guilty by court of public opinion until proven innocent.

As this will be my last post in this thread, at least for a while, I'll append that last part with this, as I'm sure it'll get attacked:
I'm a survivor or sexual assault at a young age. The sexual part was secondary to the active torture, but there was a sexual violation component. I testified in court against my abuser when I was 5 years old and he was convicted and sentenced. It is the earliest clear memory I have and no one in my entire family (the abuser was a cousin of mine) has ever spoken of or acknowledged those events since. It primarily hinged on a judge asking me if I knew what a lie was and how that was different from the truth.

My wife is also a survivor of sexual abuse and assault, by a non-biological family member, from 14 to 16. She was not believed by her family until about 20 years later.

I understand the pressures associated with sexual assault and abuse better than most. I'm not looking to trivialize anyone's trauma. But step one to legitimately improving as a society is to not swing into a court of public opinion that allows for false equivalence and public conviction for a collective feeling of catharsis. Most instances have a trail that can be followed. There is an active segment of journalists in our society now who focus their work on following exactly these trails. Give them space to do that work because the court of public opinion is easily misdirected or misled. I don't say that in regards to false claims either, I say that in how easily public sentiment and attention can simply be turned away, especially now. A meaningful piece of investigative journalism with reliable sourcing and vetting is worth more than a million "fuck that guy" tweets in the heat of the moment.

Truly believing accusers requires giving their accusation time to be corroborated or investigated before rushing to judgement. These steps are what give accusations the weight and substance needed to be effect meaningful change. Being first to condemn shouldn't be worth anything in comparison to getting the facts right.

Last edited:

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
I had hopes for this year. But it's a fucking disaster.

And now... we get to watch as the media buries this story about a Presidential Candidate allegedly raping a woman in an alley.

Deleted member 28564

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
1. in the top half of the post you just quoted I said "that isn't something anyone can label for another person or in all situations". So sure, we agree that inappropriate action depends on a wide variety of contexts, including the perspective of the infringed upon person.

2. Sexual harassment is not entirely dependent on the accuser's personal definition. As an example, while sexual harassment as criminal offense isn't something we could legitimately enforce as a society, and therefore rely on civil proceedings to give victims justice via financial restitution, for public servants, like senators, it should be an explicit moral infraction worthy of expulsion. It shouldn't take the harassed saying "I felt harassed", it should simply require proof of inappropriate behavior committed through abuse of a power dynamic.
Well, sure. But we aren't really relying on the classic elements of delict or torts in this instance. So the legal interpretation is not really relevant unless the accusers pursue legal action. The goal of the accusers is likely to spread awareness of Biden's behaviour. It is therefore primarily dependent on an accuser's experiences, largely because it is difficult to prove that harassment occurred when it boils down to his word against hers. Whether or not the public is receptive to such claims is also key. Of course, if proof can be provided, it helps establish certainty. That said, we have at least 8 separate cases of harassment (most sexual), so that should also shape our reactions.

Aug 12, 2019

Regardless of what happens with these allegations and whether or not it actually impacts Biden's path to the nomination (which I'm not hopeful about unfortunately, seems like we're stuck with him), people have to realize just how much of a liability this is going to be in the general. The GOP can latch on to this story literally whenever they want, and just play clips like you've posted to start a spin narrative because this has always looked really bad and has the potential to absolutely convince people just not to vote. The GOP's game is suppression and depression, and this just seems like a massive red flag for Democrats going forward.

We'll see how this shapes up today and in the coming days, there's a good chance (again, unfortunately) it will just get buried under the massive wall to wall coverage of COVID-19 and everything else happening, but this is the sort of thing that genuinely has a chance to absolutely sink Biden (and I suspect a lot of more progressive and young voters already disillusioned with Biden might already see this as the last straw for someone they were only going to begrudgingly support as a whole).

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Really starting to look like Democrats also don't have any principles and just root for the blue team.

Status
Not open for further replies.