• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
So your in charge of making the NSW selects for $29.99 each releasing right before the holidays 2021! Your primary goals are which games would benefit most from this (software legs) while maximizing your profits for the company!

Also to note for selections

-1st party only
-2017-2020 games only

So pick the 4 games you would select for $29.99 that makes the most sense from a business perspective!!!

[Game 1]
[Game 2]
[Game 3]
[Game 4]

Bonus: Which game would you use for a new $59.99 sku that includes all dlc (SSBU/BotW/etc)

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
The most business sense?
Pikmin 3
Paper Mario and the Oragami King
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
Mario Maker 2

Ultimate edition of Breath of the Wild for $59.99

NMFried

Oct 25, 2017
TX
ARMS
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Kirby: Star Allies
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

These are the games that some might be on the fence about, and this would help people take the plunge.

I'd probably put up a reprint of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Astral Chain and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 in the next set.

In my opinion, any Mario or Zelda or Pokemon is and will remain full price from here till eternity. No reason for them not to.

OP
OP
Tbone5189

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
For me, the games that make the most sense for Nintendo to do is...

[Game 1] Kirby Star Allies
[Game 2] Mario Tennis
[Game 3] Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
[Game 4] Super Mario Maker 2

Bonus: BotW

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I wonder if Nintendo selects is even going to be a thing under the present leadership, but in the spirit of the thread....

Mario Tennis Aces
Kirby Star Allies
Yoshi Crafted World
Bayonetta 2 ( without Bayo 1 digital code)

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon 2
Mario Tennis Aces
Hyrule Warriors
Arms
Bayonetta 2

IF BOTW 2 IS COMING OUT THIS YEAR: Swap Hyrule Warriors out for BOTW.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I think Nintendo if/when Selects return, will be with games that have paid expansion passes and those that need NSO to get the max out of them or both.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
1) mario kart 8: there must be only like 10 switch owners without it.
2) origami king: for variety.
3) smash bros: still has plenty of dlc to sell.
4) mario odissey: no explanation needed.
5) mario tennis: sports quota.

I think these would be mine.

Oct 25, 2017
For Wave 1 of Selects I'd focus on 2017-2018 games that appeal to family audiences. I imagine folks who picked up a Switch for Pokémon or Animal Crossing missed out on these games.

ARMS, Kirby Star Allies, Mario Tennis Aces, and DKC Tropical Freeze make the most sense to me.

As for the bonus game, BOTW getting a $60 SKU that included the expansion pass would be a great way to keep up interest in the game at full price even when the sequel hits.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd chose games that stopped selling but hit 1M, as well as games that would benefit greatly from coinciding with a Switch pro
  1. Astral Chain
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles 1+2 for $60 (cheating, I know)
  3. Yoshi's Crafted World
  4. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
  5. Kirby Star Allies
  6. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
I know it's more than 4, but I think 6 games per wave would do better since there are a lot of titles that would fit

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
Wave 1 for $30
Mario Tennis Aces
Yoshi's Crafted World
Super Mario Odyssey
Kirby Star Allies

Bonus game with all DLC is BOTW

Wave 2 for Holiday 2022, $30
Animal Crossing
Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee
Luigi's Mansion 3 + DLC
BOTW + DLC price cut to $30
XBC2 / FE 3H

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Astral Chain
ARMS
Mario Tennis
DK Tropical Freeze

BotW Complete Edition with all DLC on cart, brand new box art and a little art book inside.

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Game 1: Either Pokemon lets go Eevee or Pikachu
Game 2: DK Tropical Freeze
Game 3: Zelda Link's Awakening
Game 4: Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition

New SKU with all DLC included: Breath of the Wild.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
When they're still selling well at full price, they won't do a Selects line. Ocassional discounts on the eShop is the new Selects.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
So your in charge of making the NSW selects for $29.99 each releasing right before the holidays 2021! Your primary goals are which games would benefit most from this (software legs) while maximizing your profits for the company!

Also to note for selections

-1st party only
-2017-2020 games only

So pick the 4 games you would select for $29.99 that makes the most sense from a business perspective!!!

[Game 1]
[Game 2]
[Game 3]
[Game 4]

Bonus: Which game would you use for a new $59.99 sku that includes all dlc (SSBU/BotW/etc)

Game 1 - Super Mario Maker 2
Game 2 - Splatoon 2
Game 3 - Astral Chain
Game 4 - Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

If we are talking about games that will see their legs grow that currently aren't exploding year after year I think this is the right mix. Something like Astral Chain becomes more appealing at $30. Splatoon 2 has a sequel coming next year so its a good time to reduce the price. SMM2 has good legs but I think for a game built on user content a lower price makes sense. Tropical freeze is a million years old, time to give it to a bigger audience.

New SKUs with all DLC Bundled

Game 1 - Xenoblade 2 + Tora The Golden Country
Game 2 - Fire Emblem 3 Houses + Season Pass

Apr 21, 2018
BOTW
Mario Odyssey
Kirby Star Allies
Yoshi's Crafted World

Big franchises, big characters, older releases — a big incentive for people to buy a switch and big their favourite games.

Although I'd argue 8 titles should start off the players choice, with DK:Tropical Freeze, Splatoon 2, Arms, and Xenoblade 2 filling out the rest.

dgamemaster

Jun 29, 2020
I'd have 6 games to start with

1. BOTW
2. ARMS
3. Super Mario Party
4. Kirby Star Allies
5. 1-2 Switch
6. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

And 2 new SKU bundles
Bundle 1- Splatoon 2 + Octo Expansion (49.99)
Bundle 2- Fire Emblem Three Houses + Expansion Pass. (59.99)

For a total of 8 initial holiday price drops. Mario Tennis could replace 1-2 Switch, but I think Nintendo would most likely do 1-2 Switch. BOTW price drop would be good to boost that game's sales while BOTW2 takes a spotlight, Splatoon 2 bundle helps squeeze the last bit of sales from that game before Splatoon 3 drops.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
For Wave 1 of Selects I'd focus on 2017-2018 games that appeal to family audiences. I imagine folks who picked up a Switch for Pokémon or Animal Crossing missed out on these games.

ARMS, Kirby Star Allies, Mario Tennis Aces, and DKC Tropical Freeze make the most sense to me.

As for the bonus game, BOTW getting a $60 SKU that included the expansion pass would be a great way to keep up interest in the game at full price even when the sequel hits.

I think this is a great list. I'd also add in Yoshi's Crafted World which feels like it was made to wear the Selecta moniker. It's a great game bursting with creativity that someone would probably overlook at full price.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Yoshi's Crafted World
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Pikmin 3 Deluxe
Mario Golf: Super Rush

Breath of the Wild + Expansion Pass for the $60 SKU.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
1-2 switch
Snippet clips
Labo (cardboard not included)

That is all. Purchase all three and redeem the included codes for an chance to purchase mother 3 via limited edition sale.

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, I'd say:

1-2 Switch
Sushi Striker (way too obvious)
Bayonetta 1
Bayonetta 2 (1 most of all)
Yoshi's Crafted World
Kirby Star Allies (also has all updates and DLC (which was free) included on the cart)
Mario Tennis Aces (most appropriate Mario game as it's the oldest spin-off IIRC outside of MK8D which is still a TOP seller)

For complete editions (are these Nintendo Selects games? I'll assume no), do Xenoblade 2 (too obvious to ride the Smash hype), and Fire Emblem Warriors. They'd be too expensive for NS releases, but should become regular priced I feel, so you get the DLC for free basically with it all on cart now. Captain Toad also but that could make it as a future NS game that's complete as the DLC wasn't that expensive at all.

I avoided Snipperclips Plus as... wasn't it already $30? I mean yeah do it so it gets reprinted, but it's hardly significant if it's not really diacounted.

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is a great list. I'd also add in Yoshi's Crafted World which feels like it was made to wear the Selecta moniker. It's a great game bursting with creativity that someone would probably overlook at full price.
Honestly Yoshi should've made my list but my arbitrary limit on focusing on games that came out in 2017-2018 excluded it lol. But Yoshi definitely should be in there.

Bobo

Jan 25, 2019
1-2 switch
Kirby Star Allies
Yoshi Crafted World
Mario Tennis

I think Link's Awakening is a strong candidate as well.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Astral Chain
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Arms

Also they should drop the price on Tropical Freeze

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Hmm, I'd say:

1-2 Switch
Sushi Striker (way too obvious)
Bayonetta 1
Bayonetta 2 (1 most of all)
Yoshi's Crafted World
Kirby Star Allies (also has all updates and DLC (which was free) included on the cart)
Mario Tennis Aces (most appropriate Mario game as it's the oldest spin-off IIRC outside of MK8D which is still a TOP seller)

For complete editions (are these Nintendo Selects games? I'll assume no), do Xenoblade 2 (too obvious to ride the Smash hype), and Fire Emblem Warriors. They'd be too expensive for NS releases, but should become regular priced I feel, so you get the DLC for free basically with it all on cart now. Captain Toad also but that could make it as a future NS game that's complete as the DLC wasn't that expensive at all.

I avoided Snipperclips Plus as... wasn't it already $30? I mean yeah do it so it gets reprinted, but it's hardly significant if it's not really diacounted.
Sadly Sushi Striker's too much of a bomba for Nintendo Selects. $30 is overpriced compared to how low it's gone. Amazon's got it right now for $16, and according to Deku Deals, Walmart even had it for $4 for a day or two in January.

It is a good game, though!

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
ARMS
Paper Mario
Kirby Star Allies
Mario Odyssey

These three for sure. With Nintendo Selects, you'd want to boost software that could use a good sales boost, software with wide, family-friendly, or co-op appeal. These four games fit the bill in different ways and are all pretty good to great games that will make a positive impression on new Switch owners. The likes of BOTW and MK8D don't need the price cut to keep selling.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Focusing on games that have slowed down significantly when it comes to sales.
  1. Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee
  2. ARMS
  3. Super Mario Maker 2
  4. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Bonus:
  1. Fire Emblem Three Houses + DLC

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
  1. ARMS
  2. Splatoon 2
  3. Breath of the Wild
  4. Super Mario Odyssey
Bonus: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Special (includes Piranha Plant, FP1, FP2, & every Mii costume)

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
1. Splatoon 2 (hype up for Splatoon 3)
2. Bayonetta 1&2 (same reason)
3. Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Dunno about the last one, maybe Donkey Kong?

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Arms, Yoshi's Crafted World, Kirby Star Allies, New Super Mario Bros U deluxe.
They won't put surely BotW or Odyssey on selects, those still sell at full price.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I tried to make a lineup that's varied and makes sense from a business point of view. No point in selling MK8 or ACNH for 30 dollars if they still sell extremely well at full price.

1. Splatoon 2 (because Splatoon 3 is coming out next year)
2. NSMBU (Old game, not as good as their other Wii U Mario remaster, high casual appeal)
3. Astral Chain (option for 'core' gamers, sold reasonably well and I don't think it's selling very well at full price due to its somewhat limited appeal)
4. ARMS (just like Astral Chain, I think it probably sold almost all it will sell at full price, it's probably interesting for Nintendo to increase awareness of one of their newer IPs)

And a BOTW SKU with all the DLC. Hypes up BOTW2 and maybe can increase interest in the Switch Pro if the game receives a patch.

Mar 19, 2020
I think the 4 that have both broad appeal but also are probably on the bubble for a lot of people and thus could stand to sell a ton more copies with a price drop are:

1. Mario Tennis Aces
2. Link's Awakening
3. Tropical Freeze
4. Luigi's Mansion 3

Then again, this might just be my list of games that I'd like to see get a significant price drop.

Deleted member 69942

Banned
May 22, 2020
Game 1: ARMS
Due to the recent inclusion of ARMS in Smash this game has been much more in the picture. A sequel is probably coming. With this we also have a nice fighting game option for new Switch adopters.

Game 2: Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Similar as to above. Also the game is harder to find right now. With this more people can play a great RPG. Because of this you have a cheaper RPG to buy as well. This also helps to give people interest in the DLC and perhaps the prequel which is Xenoblade Definitive Edition.

Game 3: Splatoon 2

With Splatoon 3 coming up it makes sense to try and introduce more people to the franchise. Plus, it has a different feel to the other contenders in this list with the as it is an FPS as well. Same story here that it has DLC as well.

Game 4: Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze
What is not to like about DK:TF? It is a great platformer oozing with personality. Having this as a cheaper option would definitely be great. Plus with the rumours that Donkey Kong is having his own part in the Nintendo parks it seems like a good idea to bring the Kong to more people.

Ultimate game: Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Fire Emblem is becoming an important franchise for Nintendo. Three Houses sold quite well. But having the full experience for only 60 EUR would be a good deal for people that didn't dare to step in to the franchise yet.

-----

Other games I was thinking off were Bayonetta and Breath of the Wild.

The reason I chose Donkey Kong over Bayonetta was that I probably would put Bayonetta in a second wave of Nintendo classics. It is already more of a niche game and the target group is 18+ as thus you are alienating quite a lot of people with this game in your first run.

Breath of the Wild is still having long legs so decreasing its price is not really necessary when the game is still selling well.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
1) Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
2) Bayonetta 2
3) Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
4) Fire Emblem Warriors
5) Astral Chain

Bonus: Breath of the Wild with all DLCs included

Deleted member 55822

Banned
Apr 10, 2019
(Personal picks)
ARMS
Mario Tennis Aces
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

Bonus: Breath of the Wild - Complete Edition

Also here's other titles that would work as a Selects release (either to gave new legs or as a way to reprint them)
- Sushi Striker
- Kirby Star Allies
- Fire Emblem Warriors
- Yoshi's Crafted World
- Super Mario Maker 2
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2
- Astral Chain

This is just a list based on personal thoughts so don't take it too seriously.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
[Game 1] ARMS
[Game 2] Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee
[Game 3] Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
[Game 4] Astral Chain

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
ARMS
Mario Tennis
Splatoon 2
Tropical Freeze

Captain Toad kind of fits the list but as it's already 3X-40 € on most shops they can simply drop officially the price. Other "new Switch games" like AC or FE would fit a later Selects line, maybe on mid 2022 when the new Switch is already released.

About the 60€ bundle game, I think that Xenoblade 2 makes a lot of sense (it has been highly popular as of late and having a "reverse cover" with Torna art will make less people trying to sell their Torna copy at 300€) as well as BotW now that the sequel is announced, but BotW still sells enough copies, so Xc2 makes more sense.

Smash with all the DLC seems a really bad idea, not only the DLC are not even being completelly released an the users that have paid for the game + 2 FPs will feel "scammed", it still sells well at full price so Nintendo has no reason to devaluate it.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
I could see it being like this most likely:

1: Mario Tennis Aces
2: Luigi's Mansion 3
3: Kirby Star Allies
4: Splatoon 2

Possibly with Kirby Star Allies replaced with Arms. I could see Nintendo wanting to capitalize on what they can out of Splatoon 2 before 3 comes out too.

Fire Emblem Warriors, 1-2-Switch, Pikmin 3, Astral Chain, DK Tropical Freeze, Clubhouse Games and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 all seem to be likely candidates to me too.

I don't think mainline Mario, Zelda, Pokemon or Fire Emblem would ever be under consideration. New Horizons either, especially with how stupidly well it sold and continues to sell.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
My first thought was Fire Emblem Three Houses. I feel like it has sold most of what it is going to sell, so the best use of the game now is just to try to bring in more new fans to build hype for the next Fire Emblem game.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
1 2 Switch
Arms
Pokken Tournament DX
Fire Emblem Warriors

2017 only of course.

Bonus / Wave 2:
Splatoon 2
Xenoblade 2
Hyrule Warriors DE
Kirby Star Allies

Dealer A

Jan 13, 2018
If it was already a Nintendo Select on the Wii U, it should be a Nintendo Select on the Switch before the newer titles. If BotW is $20 before Tropical Freeze, I'll be pissed.