• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

choog

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
There's a great short story about a similar premise by Ted Chiang (the guy who wrote the story that Arrival is based on).

If you don't own the book it appears in -- LaVar Burton reads it in full on his podcast.

The merchant and the alchemist's gate

https://www.stitcher.com/show/levar...lchemists-gate-part-1-by-ted-chiang-200144201

www.stitcher.com

LeVar Burton Reads

Listen to LeVar Burton Reads on Pandora - The best short fiction, handpicked by the best voice in podcasting and presented in 3D immersive audio. In every episode, host LeVar Burton (Roots, Reading Rainbow, Star Trek) invites you to take a break from your daily life, and dive into a great story...

(2 parts. It has to do with the complication that your future self would have also seen the tape)

This is one of my favorite novellas! It's a beautiful story.

Oct 27, 2017
Hell no on my future. Imagine if you saw your future and it was some version of you old and alone after your spouse died at an early age and your kids hate you.

Past 100%. Assuming I have unlimited time to view these videos I could learn from my mistakes to make a better future.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I would pick the past. My life has been pretty nuts. I know everyone's has, but I fondly think back on even the toughest parts. It would be really cool to watch myself go from shithead youngin to weird emo hippie as a kid/teen.

Also, if I got to watch every damn show I've ever been to that would be insane. My music tastes have changed a lot but I saw most of my favorite bands in small but legendary venues, and weird places like Amoeba and Blondies Pizza in SF.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Neither. Don't want to relive the past and don't want to spoil the future or be let down by learning something about what will happen.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I'd watch my future, which would just be me watching footage of me watching footage because it would take the rest of the my life to watch the future footage.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Neither. Id ask to set the film to exactly 5 minutes prior to "now". Then check the reel to see how much tape is left compared to the firsr part of the reel to get a rough idea of how much time I have left, then set them shits on fire.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Whatever option I choose will have already been decided by whatever the canon is on the tape.
Doesn't matter how I answer here.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Watching the future would be just you watching yourself in a chair watching yourself. The longer you sit and watch to get past the chair watching part the longer the chair watching part lasts, until you die. Then you die in the chair, having watched your entire future.

Past is the only option.

Nobody said it was real time, you'd still be stuck there watching the past.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I would take intricate notes of my past in an excel document so that I may have a fuller understanding of my life in the present. Only the important things, though, so I know how often I've seen every movie and what my total playtime was for games that didn't have that feature. Also I want to know where I put some of the souvenirs from my last trip as I cannot find them for the life of me.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
100% my Past:

Pros
- see my father again (died at 32 when I was 11)
- getting all my memories refreshed (I lost 95% of my memories from birth to 11 years old with the shock of my dad's death)
- see my kids start as babies again and watch them grow

Cons
-suffer through my years with my ex-wife

Dec 30, 2020
I'd watch myself watching the film.

020715_Spaceballs_Gif.gif

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neither but if I had to pick, future. I already have a great memory and spend all day and night ruminating about the past

Fromskap

Sep 6, 2019
In this case, probably neither.

But by one interpretation, if I watched the future and kept my free will, there wouldn't be anything physical stopping me from changing my choices and making it better. Ergo, if the future shown is to be unchanged, it must be because I would not want to change it. Therefore, it would show me the ultimate lifepath for me going forward. And it might be possible that this would not happen if I didn't see the future. Maybe I'd watch it after all…

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I'd just leave. I don't really want to know my future and I have a pretty good memory of my past.

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a bit silly putting a restriction on not being able to change it. The TVA isn't a real thing.

I'd watch it if I could find the nearest tall building to jump off if it wasn't a favourable future.

Carvel

Nov 6, 2017
Mainz, Germany
I think I would want to know how much movie time there is left in comparison to my past, but I don't know if it is a good idea to know this.

Imagine if you were to see only the last 30 seconds... You'd probably waste the rest of your life fearfully looking for hints if any given moment could lead to what you saw

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
Not being able to change the future makes no sense so I'd choose to see the future and change the parts I don't like

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
FUTURE DOES NOT EXIST YET SO IS FUTILE

past of course, would be fun my life has been cool and it would give me more perspective

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
id definitely fast forward to some type of thing I could gamble on and make a ton of money in the present

thats all

Darkgable

Nov 3, 2017
If you show someone the future, they have no future.

You take away the mystery, you take away hope.

Michael Jennings. Paycheck...

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Past. If my future is horrible knowing that it will be will only make my present horrible too as it will make me really anxious. Sure it could be a good future but knowing that is not that beneficial at least for the risk it's bad and I just make myself miserable knowing it. And overall I have had a good life so watching my past will just be nostalgic for me.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Neither. Absolutely neither. I avoid regrets by avoiding dwelling on the past, the last thing I need is to have thrown into stark relief all the moments when things could have gone differently, and if I knew the future I know I'd become neurotic about changing it. I'd turn around and walk out of that room

Oct 25, 2017
When I see these types of questions asked, I always have a bunch of additional questions I want answered.

First off, why a film reel? Why did this magical time wizard decide to place my life in one of the first cinematographical mediums ever invented, using technology from the 19th century, when they could have placed them in a series of video files in a portable hard drive?

Is the time wizard a jerk?

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
The future I see would be informed by my having seen it, so that would be interesting.

That would recursively spit out something optimal, I think.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
I thought about this after watching Devs and I would watch everything. I do have some dissociative issues and it wouldn't hit me what I'm watching (that's often how I view my past) which probably isn't healthy. Probably at some point it would hit me like a ton of bricks. Like I would have bad trips when I smoked weed.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
I would watch my past if only to find out how much of what I remember is true and how much is stuff my brain made up to fill in the gaps.

Watching my future with no way to change it would be entirely pointless.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Watching the future would be pointless if you can't change it and possibly also incredibly depressing. No, thank you.

Watching the past could be nice.

Kalel114

Oct 27, 2017
The older I get, the more I forget. So, the past for me. Especially since I just lost my brother to MS. Would love to relive some memories with him.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how utterly miserable my life has been in the past 15 years, I'd rather watch the first twenty years and then stop, at least I was happy back in the days.

Or maybe watch the future just to see if I should pull the trigger now or wait a little longer.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
If I can't change my future I don't know why I'd want to watch it. Best case scenario is that I get depressed knowing everything that will happen before it occurs, worst case scenario is I get super depressed seeing all the sad shit that will inevitably happen.

I'll easily watch my past. It'd be good to see my late brother again even if in just video form and to reflect on the largely good experiences I've had until now.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
i would like a search engine function of sorts for my memories so i can find shit i lost or misplaced and information i've forgotten that might still be useful today.

and like what a lot of people have already said, no way am i gonna bother watching my future if i can't change it. it would only fuck me up knowing that whatever i do my future would be inevitable.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Will lottery numbers be blurred out to prevent me winning the jackpot? Or will I be shown a future after I win the jackpot?

mrndkra

Oct 25, 2017
Future, easily. I've had my body completely break down and have had 3 surgeries in the last 2 years. I continue to have so many problems and I can't tell if things are getting worse or better but I'm FUBAR from the hips down at this point. Lost everything basically and I'm not even 30 yet so there isn't much to reflect on. On the other hand, I want to know if things ever get better or if I'm going through all this pain and trouble for nothing.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Probably past, I don't remember too much of my childhood anymore. The future one by it's nature would reveal how long I've got left/how I die, and I think that knowledge would be maddening. Especially if I can't do anything to change my future, just imagine seeing like 5 years from now your life goes to shit and having to carry that anxiety until then lol.