• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI

Hello ya salty dawgs,

Let's kick this off with a hot take: Space Ghost Coast To Coast is the most successful adult animated series of the 90s. And yes, I'm including The Simpsons. The metrics might seem a bit whack at first but hear me out. The Simpsons helped build a network and pulled in ungodly amounts of money. Space Ghost was a 15 minute Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde where Cartoon Network's mask fell completely off before returning to old popeye cartoons. Speaking personally, it's hard to explain how deeply exciting that was at the the time. And considering that animated talk shows still aren't really a thing 26 years later, it's rather remarkable that a bunch of weirdos were able to stretch 15 confusing minutes into an entire counter culture network.

But having rewatched a lot of episodes lately (thanks HBO Max and it's corporate owners AT&T™) I can firmly say the show is a product of a hyper specific time and hyper specific place - and yet it's fairly timeless. Far more warm and playful than later Adult Swim series but still as dadaesque, such as one famous episode which ran longer than normal so Space Ghost could silently follow an ant on the floor. You could almost feel a contempt towards a general audience, but not you the viewer. This becomes abundantly clear as the entire cast insults, belittles, and completely ignores some of the biggest stars of the era. But it always goes for the laugh without being cruel...unless of course Space Ghost blows up Zorak....and rarely Moltar.

Anyway Era, I love Space Ghost and all the cable nonsense comedy of the 90s. I miss those Friday nights when this weird shit would come on late, and if you explained it to a friend, they didn't believe you. Good times.

Share your memories, favorite episodes, and clips.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
there's a doodle in my noodle, and his name is minkey boodle

you got my mojo rising, there's a poodle in my strudel

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
83Itv51.gif

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a knife... knifin' around...
Cutcutcutcutcutcutcutcututcutcutcutcutcutcut

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
"I think this show is very bad and should be stopped. Don't take this the wrong way, I think you represent evil and your presence makes any kind of progress in the universe impossible"

"Hang on a second Conan...this ant has come back from the dead."

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
you're suppose to be dumpster diving for ham-scraps

you six-piece McNobody

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yea! I discovered this show as a tween because my uncle would record every episode. He has a whole stash of vhs tapes he used to record everything from Seinfeld to twin peaks and space ghost. I really need to go through those things one day and rip them to a hard drive for posterity.

OP
OP
Video Games Are Dumb
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Hell yea! I discovered this show as a tween because my uncle would record every episode. He has a whole stash of vhs tapes he used to record everything from Seinfeld to twin peaks and space ghost. I really need to go through those things one day and rip them to a hard drive for posterity.

Oh hell yeah. Even 20 something years later I can place exactly where my episode recordings would cutoff haha

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
am i mistaken or did the VHS to The Mask have a preview/pilot episode on it with a Jim Carrey interview

or is that memory from seeing the mask in theaters?

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Watching the Randy Savage episode (Piledriver) had become something of an annual ritual among my circle of friends, dating back almost 20 years now.

The Sunshine State. OH YEEEEEEEAH

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I couldn't find the clip and don't remember the episode but one of my favorite exchanges from an Adult Swim show happened on Space Ghost:

"So, you're a magician, right?"
"Yeah."
"I love magic. I believe in magic. Clap your hands! You must believe in magic. Right?"
"Uh, no I don't."
"Eh? Excuse moi?"
"Magic is just completely fake, it's, it's, it's, it's, uh, just another word for lying."
"....So, you're not really a magician, are you?"
"No."

OP
OP
Video Games Are Dumb
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Watching the Randy Savage episode (Piledriver) had become something of an annual ritual among my circle of friends, dating back almost 20 years now.

The Sunshine State. OH YEEEEEEEAH

Why, twenty years ago I woulda put your head in a half nelson, twisted it around, saying each letter of the alphabet on every turn, and then when I reached the first letter of my true love's name - that would be the lovely Elizabeth - I would yank your head clean off and roll it down the pike like a bowling ball!

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Brak Show is awesome too
Three hams will fill him
Three hams will thrill him
Why don't you feed him...
Three hams!

Mr. Bawk-ba-gawk!

When life gives you lemons... you blow those lemons to bits with your laser cannons!!

Oh man now I want to watch the rap contest...

AS was the best.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
seatbelts?

those are for nerds

you boys aren't nerds, are you?

cuz this aint the nerd taxi

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
LOOKS LIKE THE SHATNER'S REALLY HIT THE FAN NOW

IM UP DAWSONS CREEK WITHOUT A PADDLE

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Every time I move my arm it costs Cartoon Network 42 bucks.

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
Wait! I've got it! Construct a robot, name it "Orlando" and program it to go purchase a comb for Hanson.