• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you a people manager / leader in an organisation of 100 or more employees?

• Yes

Votes: 89 35.3%
  • No

Votes: 116 46.0%
  • "Uh, uh, papers, um, just papers, uh, you know, uh, my papers, business papers."

Votes: 47 18.7%

• Total voters

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I had to look this up - Unfair, deceptive, or abusive acts and practices. (I'm assuming) it must be frustrating to observe how much the penalty for non-compliance seems to be inversely proportionate to the size of the organisation. The bigger the business, the better they can afford to just budget for penalties related to infringements in this area and keep on being shady.
In the UK the FCA are quite good at annoying the big banks...they've just spent a few years and several billion paying back all their PPI mis-selling premiums...and before that we had some classics like the endowment mortgage mis-selling.

nampad
Don't work in video games but with one of the biggest professional firms in the world.
I do consult some of the most prestigious names in banking/financial services with projects that go up to C-level.

Middle management/subproject lead most of the time so I do the planning and organize the timely execution within the budget constraints. Also responsible for the heavy lifting on the development of proposals (up to high six figures) for new projects.

Right now I focus quite a bit on the capital planning processes. One of my projects made it possible for a company to pay out up to hundreds of millions of dividends more than they have planned before.

Sounds awesome - and about 30% fancier than my resume :-)

Your project is an impressive bit of capital optimisation! Was it a legal restructure or a different application of regulatory rules? Intrigued how you got the rating agencies to buy into it!

On the general topic, I'm impressed that on early sight, approximately 40% of ERA are successful leaders/PMs/high up in big firms!

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I'm curious as to how many people here actually hold people management / leadership positions in organisations with more than say 100 employees and have some perspective when it comes to Big Business (Stonks!) as a result.

Part of a 12-person organizational leadership team that managed around 200 employees.
Part of the 6-person team lead team that managed around 50 people.

Are you responsible for managing a budget?

Not directly. We all convene to discuss quarterly allocation of spending, identify the overall estimate cost needed for each project and initiative within those timelines, and spend accordingly. We then work with the budget we set, and if we need more money, we figure it out along the way.

How easy do you find it to "get stuff done"?

Ranges from extremely easy to extremely hard. Even the simplest thing like getting stuff stamped has taken months of politics due to clash of how government handles things vs organizational aim of automation.

Also, *EVERYTHING* has a cost. It's never about getting stuff done, but whether or not the stuff you're doing actually adds value to the company. We have to reassess every day whether or not we're doing the right thing or telling our team to do the right thing.

How easy is it to influence your team, change direction or float new ideas that actually make themselves manifest in a real way?

I have some people in my team who trust me, and some people who needs convincing. It's all give-or-take.

Why do you think you've got the perspective to comment on how Mega-Corp conducts its business?

Corporations are not your friend.
But corporations are also made up of people who are just doing their darn best.
And contrary to popular belief, it's harder than it looks to separate both. I've made shitty decisions that I believe benefits MY TEAM over MY CUSTOMERS.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a corporate accountant that has also provided business assurance for countless companies.

I often make comments on business directions of Video game companies and make predictions based on what I have seen in my own line of work.

do I walk the walk?

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I do hold that type of position but it doesn't really help working out this market. I'm wrong about almost everything.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is this just a thread to show off what we do?

Management consultant here with experience developing corporate strategy and leading multi-million dollar M&A integration programs

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm starting to think Era is just a front for market research surveys.

Yes especially lately. Threads like "where do you like to play your games? Please select two of the options". or "What would you like to see in a Sonic re-re-reboot?" "What would it take for you to buy an XBOX day one?" Why do people talk like market research execs. lol.

I can safely say the stuff I've worked on turned out great because I put in lots of overtime (unpaid), know how to work with people and not coast like many in government positions do and their mismanagement of projects show when results do not happen or are delayed beyond what would be reasonable.

There's an argument that could be made by someone other than me that goes something like "If you need to put in that much unpaid overtime, did you really manage your projects properly?"

OP
OP
Wet Jimmy

Wet Jimmy

Nov 11, 2017
I'm a project manager

You know, I've been in some stressful and delivery focussed roles, but Ive never had the bottle to take a crack at project management for any length of time. Rightly or wrongly, I think it stems from both a pathological dislike of getting tied up in paperwork and an attention span that makes it challenging to deliver that last 10% of a given activity because I'd really rather be moving on to the next thing. I've always held good PM's in high regard because they can do things I can't :)

The shit I read here is laughable, but I mostly witness from afar.

:)

OP
OP
Wet Jimmy

Wet Jimmy

Nov 11, 2017
Public safety my whole life, but I can retire in 18 months!

Why's that? I'm assuming not because you're aging out - do you mean that a particular activity is coming to an end and you're comfortable leaving? Or are you done with the workforce and it's time for full-time hobbies?

When I think retiring, I think no more work (for pay!)

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
You know, I've been in some stressful and delivery focussed roles, but Ive never had the bottle to take a crack at project management for any length of time. Rightly or wrongly, I think it stems from both a pathological dislike of getting tied up in paperwork and an attention span that makes it challenging to deliver that last 10% of a given activity because I'd really rather be moving on to the next thing. I've always held good PM's in high regard because they can do things I can't :)

:)
Funny enough, I actually never wanted to be in PMO, but fell into it and ended up loving it.

It's DEFINITELY, unequivocally and without a doubt the hardest, most complex career I've ever had in my life. And I'm only 33. The stress is unbearable at times, but it pays well.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
To me, project management is always stressful because it's either forcing change or introducing new workflows. It's rarely about making lives easier for others.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Yes especially lately. Threads like "where do you like to play your games? Please select two of the options". or "What would you like to see in a Sonic re-re-reboot?" "What would it take for you to buy an XBOX day one?" Why do people talk like market research execs. lol.

There's an argument that could be made by someone other than me that goes something like "If you need to put in that much unpaid overtime, did you really manage your projects properly?"

It wasn't needed, but I did it anyways. I could have stayed and went home just fine and nothing would be different, but I was a bit of a workaholic at the time.

OP
OP
Wet Jimmy

Wet Jimmy

Nov 11, 2017
I get you. There just seemed to be some implicit criticism in the way you phrased a few things in the OP.

I mean, sure, people on video game internet forums have a reputation for being generally terrible and assuming the most bad-faith position on behalf of any dissenting author while speculating wildly abut absolutely about things they may barely understand all the time.

What's to like? Still, I AM genuinely interested in the way these forums work and the righteousness of some posters, for sure. And this was just a question that sprang to mind.

Anyway, I meant no criticism of YOU. I'm sure you're lovely! We should hang out.

OP
OP
Wet Jimmy

Wet Jimmy

Nov 11, 2017
Resetera would be so much better if most people took even as much as a short business management 101 course on Khan. It would eliminate 99% of the crazy unrealistic expectations people here set for others.

It would do ANYONE a world of good, for sure.

Sometimes I get the feeling some people wouldn't mind a developer going out of business and dozens of people being laid off if it means that they get to win an online argument.

That rings true to me as well, and naively I used to write this off as "Ugh... Kids... they'll grow up eventually". But of course that was a dumb take and I've had plenty of conversations with people who are old enough to know better and are still massive jerks, and conversely some of the younger people I know can be quite pragmatic and level headed.

So I just don't know anymore. Some people just suck, I guess...

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
150 people in the first year of operating. Started with 11. Pay is 20% higher than normal for the region. 5 day/40h workweek with no forced overtime. Free gym/sports facilities through Multisport for any employee. Free use of company car once a month for whatever they need (mostly just rental now, not that anyone uses it). Bonuses either every 3 months or monthly. Paid transport to and from work. Employees are free to ask for schedule changes or days off and either work it off or use vacation days, their decision. Medical checkups before employment and night shifts. No specific education level needed as long as you pass our tests for whatever role you're applying.

I'll never stop shitting on studio leads who are responsible for crunch btw. Horrible people.

edit: nothing to do with gaming

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
I've managed 108+ people in a castle if that counts. Managed civilzations of millions before, though often a lot of them died because I made it more difficult for myself on purpose.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
To me, project management is always stressful because it's either forcing change or introducing new workflows. It's rarely about making lives easier for others.
This.
Streamlining things, creating efficiencies/synergies, looking for opportunities, etc. is always the goal you have in your head but there's rarely time for it when you're working against impossible deadlines and managing people.

The unfortunate truth is most projects for a multitude of reasons reach a point of: "get it done by X date, by any means" because of all of the inevitable hurdles, inherent or unforeseen. You can't bitch about them, you work around them. But that's not always a clear path and being able to create a plan on the fly, have faith in it, and stick to it while being agile enough to make adjustments where needed without starting over or compromising the project is....an art.

JobenNC

Oct 27, 2017
Raleigh, NC
My title is literally "Executive VP of Video Game Business Expertise". Each day hundreds of papers cross my desk that I stamp as either "anti-consumer" or "anti-anti-consumer". I spend roughly 4 hours a day on international conference calls hashing out whether or not the term "moneyhat" is appropriate for a given situation.

So yeah, I'd say I walk that talk pretty hard.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I mean, sure, people on video game internet forums have a reputation for being generally terrible and assuming the most bad-faith position on behalf of any dissenting author while speculating wildly abut absolutely about things they may barely understand all the time.

What's to like? Still, I AM genuinely interested in the way these forums work and the righteousness of some posters, for sure. And this was just a question that sprang to mind.

Anyway, I meant no criticism of YOU. I'm sure you're lovely! We should hang out.
I think it's a nice, 50/50 split between bad-faith arguments and people genuinely believing they can logic their way into the mind of someone else's very specialized shoes (ignoring the users who actually do know what they're talking about, of course). Neither's particularly likable, but at least the latter is basically just human nature.

Anyway, I try not to speculate on the inner-workings of this stuff too much, myself, because I like to think I'm pretty aware I'm a big ol' dumb.

OP
OP
Wet Jimmy

Wet Jimmy

Nov 11, 2017
And then there are the ethical problems, where the executives and management are the last people whose judgement should be trusted.

I've witnessed this myself and from time to time it's become absolutely clear to me that being successful and being a "good" person are unrelated traits. Sometimes you get lucky... but not always.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I don't get the point of this.

"This cake tastes bad"
"Well are you a baker?"
"No"
"GOTCHA"

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Lol the framing of this question ia inherently biased. We advocate for buiesness models that benefit workers and customers because we are workers and customers. Why in the world would we want to do what is best for managers, executives, and owners?

Being in a managerial position to manage people doesn't suddenly transform you into a monster. Especially a significant amount of managers are just another cog in the wheel in a broader organization.

Of course I'd love my bosses to tell me that there are no "profit target of <insert amount> this year" but I don't make those calls - I just get what I'm told to deliver, and I deliver it through others.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, hand on heart, I can point to no one thread, author or topic.

Just general musings after many years of seeing the same old stuff.

Wait. Do you have a guilty conscience? ;)

Nope, just genuinely curious!

I'm a journalist, my job is pointing at stuff, saying it sucks and I feel no guilt about that whatsoever. 😎

Deleted member 14313

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Curious that this is what you took away from the question. I don't THINK that is anything like what I was attempting to say.
Your entire rhetoric is based on corporations making profit. This is inherently opposed to the interests of workers and customers.

When I talk about what should happen in the gaming industry I am not talking about how to maximse profit and/or growth for a corporation but how to give workers the full value of their labour without abusing them and how to give customers a good or service at a fair price without predatory monetisation models.

Corpoate managers do not do this and so experience of corporate management (which exists to benefit executives and owners) is not valuable to running an organsation in the way I would like.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Cool. Do you have a preferred field? Assuming you're not a giant jerkface, how're you doing in this age of downright vitriol against people trying to conduct actual journalism?

I'm in local journalism and mainly write about politics on a municipal level but also education and health related matters. Most of the people I deal with (as well as our readers) are fairly informed and civil but I also don't work in a country that actively tries to destroy journalism so it's mostly ok.

Deleted member 14313

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Being in a managerial position to manage people doesn't suddenly transform you into a monster. Especially a significant amount of managers are just another cog in the wheel in a broader organization.

Of course I'd love my bosses to tell me that there are no "profit target of <insert amount> this year" but I don't make those calls - I just get what I'm told to deliver, and I deliver it through others.
Corporations are organised in such a way that managers can never truly do anything significant to benefit workers and customers. But of course they can do things to keep workers in line benefiting executives and owners. So yes they are not inherently monsters but at the end of the day they still, often unknowingly, fuck over workers and customers.

OP
OP
Wet Jimmy

Wet Jimmy

Nov 11, 2017
150 people in the first year of operating. Started with 11. Pay is 20% higher than normal for the region. 5 day/40h workweek with no forced overtime. Free gym/sports facilities through Multisport for any employee. Free use of company car once a month for whatever they need (mostly just rental now, not that anyone uses it). Bonuses either every 3 months or monthly. Paid transport to and from work. Employees are free to ask for schedule changes or days off and either work it off or use vacation days, their decision. Medical checkups before employment and night shifts. No specific education level needed as long as you pass our tests for whatever role you're applying.

I'll never stop shitting on studio leads who are responsible for crunch btw. Horrible people.

edit: nothing to do with gaming

I like seeing that organisations like this exist :) Go, you lot.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
For real?

I dipped my toes into Rare Replay the other day. Tried both Banjo-Kazooie games and just couldn't... I think I must have missed the zeitgeist and don't have the patience for that N64 era 3D platformer. Same applies to Conkers Bad Fur Day.

I want to believe, but...
I mean, have you seen my nickname or avatar? I think Banjo-Kazooie is the pinnacle of 3d open level design.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I can talk a bit about my experience in industry, somewhat related to this. But mostly it comes down to the realisation that I wouldn't want to be a manager.

I worked in game development for 4 years, and now I'm mostly studying for my PhD while working on occasional UX projects as they arise. When I was working in the industry I was often the lead of those individual UX projects, but that would only put me in charge of 2 to 4 people, it was more of an organisational responsibility.

In any case, during my time in the industry I really found that I don't want to be part of a big organisation, but also that game development does not need to take place inside those big organisations.

When I was working in the industry, I was originally working for a theoretically flat company, where everyone was treated equally. It wasn't truly flat, but everyone had a say and I didn't experience any instance where people were directed by a manager or anything like that. Everyone at the company was on the same page with what they wanted to achieve, and everyone enjoyed working together, it was a great experience.

Most importantly it felt like everyone was treated as an intellectual equal. No one above you was making decisions for you because they didn't trust you, or anything like that. It was a really great work environment.

I moved studio, because I wanted to experience working in another country, so I moved to a studio that was just starting up in Montreal. While in principle this studio was similar to the last, it was different from a managerial perspective. There was a clear manager, and he would frequently remind us that 'he was the boss'. This guy would frequently impose his ideas of how projects should be run, and speak over people as though he was an intellectual superior. He would use phrases like 'I'm the boss and I'm making an executive decision'.

I disliked this approach to working, I didn't like feeling as if I wasn't an intellectual equal to my peers. At that studio I also experienced a vast number of other issues that did not present themselves within the flat company. Employees generally had a very peculiar attitude to them, adjusting their behaviour depending on whether people from management were around, and there was a constant feeling of 'us and them', where their behaviour and tone towards management would change depending on the presence of people above them.

In that studio, I also experienced very evident racism, and sexism. Staff members would make sexist jokes, other staff members would tell me how muslim people were the problem with the world. We were a user research company so it was clear that sometimes these prejudice perspectives would affect attitudes towards work, as user research often involves people from the outside. In any case, I found it much more difficult to address these issues within this organisation, as when I mentioned these to management they never seemed to do anything.

Eventually there was an incident which pushed me beyond the point where I wanted to continue working for the studio. I became pretty ill and I took 2 weeks off work, unpaid. I went to the doctors and provided an explanation, the doctor signed me off. I had no health insurance because despite the company claiming I would be able to sign on to their company health insurance policy, they later changed their mind and said that as an immigrant I wasn't able to. So, no equal access to health care across staff members, depending on where you came from.

In any case, a little while later I fell ill again and took another 2 days off from work. This time I refused to get a doctors note, citing the $200 cost of seeing the doctor as a waste of money. I could have gone to see the doctor, but I was truly unwell and the doctor was across town. The cost and inconvenience didn't make any sense, I would be wasting money to see a GP and trekking across town when I was feeling unwell wouldn't make me feel any better. I offered to work from home during that period (which we were perfectly well equipped to do). Anyway, when I returned to the office I was formally warned for not providing a doctors note for that two week period of sickness. That was where I decided to leave as I felt the company did not value me or my health.

Ultimately, the contrast between those two experiences made me realise that I don't want to work in a managerial position, or even within a company where people are treated as more or less important based on their managerial status, or anything else. At that company I felt like I was viewed as less valuable than other members of staff, I felt like our management would needlessly protect people within the company who held sexist and racist views. I felt like I couldn't speak openly within the company, and that not all staff were viewed as intellectually equal.

So, what I mean to say I suppose, is that I would never want to make those executive decisions in game development because typically I feel that those business decisions impose on the fair treatment and equality of staff. We see that all the time with crunch, and we see many issues manifest with sexism and prejudice too. It's fairly evident, that to be the most effective manager, you have to impose upon the individual freedoms and well beings of your employees. To be good at capitalism, you have to offset your employees well being against the success of the company. You have to prioritise things that will make the game more successful or profitable, that ultimately negatively impact the well being at the studio.

Being a 'business expert' under capitalism, necessitates imposing over the well being of staff and employees. It's the business experts that decide that staff at studios like Rockstar and Naughtydog should work 60 hour weeks to make a specific deadline within a specific fiscal quarter. It's the 'business experts' that decide that the game should distribute content through manipulative and harmful monetisation systems that take advantage of their consumer base.

So what I'm saying I suppose, is that when I was younger, I had a view that I would work in the games industry, then perhaps work my way up through an organisation to take more and more responsibility. But now that I realise what that entails, it's not something that I want. I stepped away from working day to day within the industry to work on a PhD focused on game accessibility. I feel that going back to academia was important to me, as it has always been a space where everyone is treated as an equal (or close enough). I have meetings with my supervisors about my work and what I'm achieving, but never are they directly telling me to do anything. I take the responsibilities that I choose to take, and I manage my time and workload. For me, it's a better way of living that doesn't involve stepping on other people in order to achieve personal success.

It's worth noting though, that I firmly believe that you can be successful outside of that typical organisational structure that I found problematic. There are relatively flat studios who are making games which are ultimately, made for their employees, not for the corporate interests of a small number of people. A number of independent teams are like this, with responsibilities and profits shared equally across the studio. So what I'm saying is that there are many ways to make games, and the way that the large corporations do it, usually feels like the wrong way. No triple A games are worth the human cost implicated in their development, and the further removed I can be from that, the better.

But that doesn't stop me providing opinions on game design and strategy, on ERA. When I write that I think x approach won't work, or that x design isn't interesting, I'm not saying it's okay to send staff into another 8 week crunch period in order to implement my suggestion. I think it's okay to be able to talk about games, and also not considerate of the individual implementations that design and strategy would have on the employees within any one individual company. Ultimately even with managerial experience, you can't know how the internal workflow pipelines and organisational structure, of any one individual company, so you can't provide that kind of advice from outside. I think it's reasonable to discuss ideas related to the games output, outside of the games organisational context. What begins to get weird is when you see folks who are angry because the developer didn't achieve x thing within x time frame, because then your thoughts are beginning to impose upon what you believe they should be able to achieve within an organisaitonal context that you're not privy to.

Lot of rambling thoughts there.