• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
With the next gen consoles fast approaching, what have been your top 5 games of this gen so far, and which upcoming games do you expect could break in to the 5?

My 5:

1. The Witcher 3 - A masterpiece.
2. God of War - Amazing game, probably the most satisfying combat of the gen for me.
3. Spider-Man - The best superhero game for the best superhero.
4. Battlefield 1 - Has to be the most visceral combat of any military FPS, thoroughly enjoyable.
5. AC : Origins - Fantastic open world, good story and satisfying combat. A return to form for the series since the Ezio trilogy. Yet to play Odyssey.

Honourable mentions: Hellblade, Bloodborne, GT Sport, Horizon, Kingdom Come and Red Dead 2.

Games I expect could break into the 5: Cyberpunk for sure, Elden Ring and TLOU Part II.

Last edited:

VilleEricson

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
1. God of War - Masterpiece.
2. The Witcher 3 - Same as above.
3. AC Origins - Fantastic return for the series. Loved every moment.
4. Wolfenstein: The New Order - Just a great game, you just have to get pass the not so great intro.
5. Spider-Man - Simply amazing.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
In no particular order: Persona 5, God of War, Bloodborne and The Witcher 3. Can't decide on a fifth but those four are easy picks for me.

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
1- Zelda BOTW
2- Mario Maker 2
3- Black Mesa

Maybe Elden Ring and Metroid Prime 4 complete the top 5

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018
Witcher 3, Undertale, Overwatch, GT Sport, Inside and RDR2. And not in any particular order as they are all so different from one another.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1) Bloodborne and maybe the best of all time.
2) God of War
3) Horizon: Zero Dawn
4) Overwatch
5) Destiny: The Forsaken King

It's been a really good gen for Sony. If I had a sixth spot Spiderman would have made it.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
1. Bloodborne
2. Persona 5
3. What Remains of Edith Finch
4. The Last Guardian
5. Tales From the Borderlands

These 5 games have defined the generation for me.

Last edited:

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Bloodbone
Sekiro
Persona 5
RE2 Remake
Witcher 3

Oct 30, 2017
Spain
The Witcher 3, Blooodborne, Nier Automata, RDR2, Persona 5/Yakuza 0/Yakuza Kiwami 2 (I legitimally don't know which one I would choose over the others)

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Hope I'm not forgetting anything.

1. The Last Guardian - An unforgettable tour de force of emotions, perfectly paced with zero bloat.
2. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - My favourite Uncharted. A perfect send off for Nate.
3. Overwatch - I love and hate this game in equal measure. But boy is it addictive.
4. Gravity Rush Remastered - A top-tier remaster worthy of the greatest protagonist and means of traversal this gen.
5. Persona 5 - A really long game that I didn't hate by the time the end credits started scrolling.

Edit - Actually, maybe swap out Persona 5 for REmake 2.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
1. NieR:Automata
2. Sekiro
3. Bloodborne
4. Persona 5
5. Yakuza 0

Honorable Mention: Metro Exodus

Nier Automata, Bloodborne and Sekiro are easily in my top 10 of all time too.

Oct 30, 2017
Hope I'm not forgetting anything.

1. The Last Guardian - An unforgettable tour de force of emotions, perfectly paced with zero bloat.
2. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - My favourite Uncharted. A perfect send off for Nate.
3. Overwatch - I love and hate this game in equal measure. But boy is it addictive.
4. Gravity Rush Remastered - A remaster of the worthy of the greatest protagonist and means of traversal this gen.
5. Persona 5 - A really long game that I didn't hate by the time the end credits started scrolling.

Okay, sorry Ori, but I had forgotten about TLG.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
1 - Horizon Zero Dawn - moment-to-moment gameplay is the best and most fun I've had this gen. The ranged combat system is amazing, so is the robodinos designs. Beautiful graphics and world. Best sci fi story in gaming
2 - Inside - simple but very effective, a masterpiece.
3 - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - loved this game. Best sci fi atmosphere in gaming. Such a cool world and aesthetic. Most underrated game this gen, greatly improved on the previous entry. Story falls a bit at the end, but it compensates that by the lore scattered throughout the world
4 - What Remains of Edith Finch - beautiful and deep. Another indie masterpiece
5 - (can't decide right now) - Uncharted 4, Titanfall 2, Rainbow Six Siege (best multiplayer this gen hands-down)

I really liked GOW and Spiderman, but the open-world-ness of these games took some of my enjoyment. I'm still to finish RE2.
If TLOU remastered counts it's at the top, no contest.
I'm currently playing Metro exodus and loving it, might make it close to the top.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
- Bloodborne
- equal Dark Souls 3 / Sekiro
- Hollow Knight
- BotW
- Resident Evil 2

FF7 Remake, Elden Ring and Cyberpunk 2077 potential to break in.

gb6

Jan 19, 2019
1. Breath of the wild (Probably all time too)
2. Super Mario Oddysey
3. Super Smash Bros Ultimate
4. Celeste
5. Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
1. Bloodborne
2. The Witcher 3
3. MGS V
4. Persona 5
5. GoW 2018.

You could say that 2015 was a great year.

Titchyman

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne
Hollow knight
Witcher 3
Rocket League
Red Dead Redemption 2

I expect once I get around to playing BOTW it'll easily be top 5 of this gen. Cyberpunk and Elden ring are the upcoming games which could find there way in.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Red Dead 2
Bloodborne
God Of War
Spiderman PS4
Persona 5

2018 was an amazing year for me

Honorable mentions : Monster Hunter World and Yakuza 0 and titanfall 2 and doom

Theres too many games to narrow down to 5 honestly. All my top 5 games are incredible from a gameplay point of view, narrative focus and graphical fidelity. Sunk hours into them

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Bloodborne
God of War
The Crew
Nier Automata
Battlefield 1

Maybe jostling with Death Stranding, Ghosts of Tsushima or The Last Of Us Part II.

Neifirst

Oct 27, 2017
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Bloodborne
3. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
4. God of War
5. Final Fantasy XV

I guess open world with RPG mechanics wins the generation for me!

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
1. Witcher 3
2. Bloodborne
3. Celeste
4. God of War
5. Ori and the Blind Forest

(shoutouts to Nier:A, Rocket League, Playdead's Inside, Hollow Knight, Mario Odyssey, Red Dead 2)

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
1. Resident Evil 2 - A reimagining of one of the GOAT survival horror games that actually puts the emphasis on "survival", making it a more intricate and difficult game, full of clever balancing acts between level design, enemy design, puzzles, and inventory management (aka all the things that make RE great), and wraps it all up in an uber polished presentation. It's also the rare AAA game that's all killer and no filler, wasting almost no time with walk and talks, lengthy intros, or other concessions that most games of its ilk make.
2. The Evil Within - Is it a little rough around the edges? Sure. But some technical shortcomings can't take away that this is Mikami back to the horror genre and doing a greatest hits of his own best ideas and backed by killer art direction. It may not be his most original game, but it may be his most intense.
3. Bloodborne - Peak FROM software. Fantastically cohesive world that tells a brilliant Lovecraft inspired story and delivers their most satisfying batch of monsters, bosses, and levels to date.
4. Rainbow Six: Siege - Probably the best multiplayer shooter I've ever played - heavily favoring strategy over twitch reflexes, it's a blast to coordinate with buddies and learn the many ins and outs of each level and operator.
5. The Last Guardian - Naughty Dog got out Naughty Dogged the year this went up against Uncharted 4, as this provided the superior emotional story, vertigo-inducing ruin scrambling, and crazy set-pieces.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Top 10:

Rime-game of this generation.a memory I will treasour for rest of my life

Witcher 3 - open world done right

God of war- amazing from start to finish (please more boss fights for next one )

Detroit become human-emotional journey I loved

Uncharted4/LL- to this day I play uncharted online .so so good .

Assassin Creed origin- amazing reboot to franchise

RDR2- amazing game.it was so slow to start but after chapter 3 I loved it .

Untill Dawn- u will be on the edge of your seat the whole time . thrilling experience.

Horizon zero Dawn- best new IP this gen .the fights with robots are our of this world .

Re2- never played the original loved every minute of it and it easily destroys Re7.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
The Witcher 3:

giphy.gif

The greatest game I've ever played, totally immersed me into the world, made me love the characters, and the storytelling was superb, from the main story to the side quests. Two excellent DLC expansion packs capped off a masterpiece.

Alien Isolation:

giphy.gif

The greatest contribution to the franchise since Aliens.

Uncharted 4:

giphy.gif

Perfect end to a classic franchise, great story, characters and action. Loved Lost Legacy too.

Horizon Zero Dawn:

giphy.gif

Brilliant new franchise with a likeable protagonist, compelling world and some great sci-fi worldbuilding and storytelling. Really memorable, and I can't wait for the sequel.

Hitman: Season One:

dwc4s7fzpsjt5xjxynay.gif

Not a fan of the episodic release, but it kept this franchise alive. Probably the greatest stealth game ever, the massive levels and numerous ways to dispatch your targets are incredible.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
1.Bloodborne
2.Sekiro
3.Nier Auto
4.DOOM
5.Horizon

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
1) Breath of the Wild

2) The Witcher 3

3) Horizon Zero Dawn

4) Super Mario Odyssey

I can't currently think of a 5th one.

Plok64

Oct 27, 2017
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- The Last Guardian
- Ori and the Blind Forest
- Splatoon 2
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
  1. Bloodborne
  2. Witcher 3
  3. Nier Automata
  4. Deus Ex Mankind Divided (disappointing abrupt ending but everything else was great)
  5. MGSV ( bad story but that gameplay is so good)
Honorable mention: Hitman ,Battlefield 4, Dark Souls 3

Pretty sure Elden Ring and Cyberpunk will take 2 of those spots though

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Out the top of my head, it looks something like this:
  1. Zelda Breath of the Wild
  2. Witcher 3 (and its expansions, especially B&W)
  3. Dishonored 2
  4. Dark Souls III
  5. Deus Ex Mankind Divided (despite its clear flaws)

I don't have a PS4 (at this point might as well wait for PS5) and Switch yet, but something tells me Mario Odyssey and Bloodborne would be serious contenders for my top 5.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
1.God of War
2.Uncharted 4
3.Metal Gear Solid V
4.The Witcher 3
5.Bloodborne

2015 indeed was amazing.

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
1. Final Fantasy XIV
2. The Witcher 3
3. Star Wars Battlefront II
4. God of War
5. Uncharted 4

Honorable Mentions: Destiny1/2, The order, The Division 1/2, Grey Goo, Horizon

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Please remember from our forum guidelines:

Do Not Create: List Threads

A list thread is a thread that encourages replies that largely or completely take the form of lists. For example: Asking members to rank their favorite characters in media. These threads tend not to generate much, if any, actual discussion or member interaction. Voting threads (threads that solicit ballot-style replies) will usually fall under this category as well, unless a lot of effort is put into them. If you wish to create a voting thread, please contact an Administrator to seek approval beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.