• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I seem to chase the bullshit car. Used to always drive BMWs and obviously 'all BMW drivers are wankers', 'BMW indicators are optional lol' etc. I consider myself a courteous, defensive driver but happened to like driving a car that got sterotyped. Same with Tesla. Its a great car and the supercharger network in the UK sealed the deal when I wanted to go EV as the rest is slowly catching up but not there yet (soon though). But you risk getting thrown in with the fanboys. Yes, blind fanboys aren't good, but neither is it good for you to be tarred with the same brush by people without thought.
You're supposed to ignore statements that don't apply to you. It's easy.

I guess Tesla's design needs to kill someone before they can be criticized?
That is exactly what it will take, and when that happens people will question why they didn't read the fucking manual.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna defend Elon, and there's features on the tesla that are super annoying, but this one is on the owner for not knowing about the manual release.

However the back seats not having it is mind boggling. Maybe it's to avoid bypassing child safety locks or something, I dunno.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
My first question is why the fuck do you need electricity to open a damn door to begin with? Manual should be the default. Fucking solutions to questions that no one's asking.
À lot of people are aged and like having the ability to open the door with the press of a button instead of having to use physical force.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
Things I have checked the manual for on my cars: Where is the spare tire and jack? I need to change the oil, what do I need? What does that light that I have never seen mean? What do I need to buy to fix this thing?

Things I haven't check the manual for on my cars: How to open the fucking door

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Man and his dog died in a Corvette because he couldn't find the manual emergency door release.

I think that may have already happened?

www.caranddriver.com

Lawsuit Blames Tesla Model S's Retractable Door Handles for Man's Death

The family of the driver claims he died because he couldn't get the door open after a crash when the car caught on fire.

As cool as they may be to some Tesla fans, the unique retractable door handles on the Tesla Model S are being faulted in a lawsuit over the death of a man in Florida. The man, Omar Awan, crashed into a tree in a Model S and was then unable to get out of the electric vehicle when the battery caught fire. The accident and death occurred in February.
A wrongful death lawsuit was filed in state court in Broward County, Florida, on October 10 claims that Awan was burned beyond recognition "because the Model S has inaccessible door handles, no other way to open the doors, and an unreasonably dangerous fire risk." According to the Bloomberg news service, the suit says the cause of death was smoke inhalation and that Awan did not have any internal injuries or broken bones. The man's family is reportedly seeking more than $15,000 in damages.
Many Tesla drivers have complained about the Model S's retractable doors. Consumer Reports noted in 2015: "Our car reliability survey shows that doors, locks, and latches are the biggest trouble areas with Teslas and that the Model S has far higher than average rates of such problems." The magazine's own Model S effectively locked people out of the car due to broken handles after just a month.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Telling someone they should just burn to death if they can't simply RTFM and find the manual release in an emergency is peak Libertarian Utopia.

Hiding a life saving feature is stupid. Worse is what's going on with the back doors from that prior post.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
If you're unable to open a physical door release you shouldn't be driving. I mean that literally, I think it's part of a fitness test.
That's ableism really there's nothing about driving that requires someone to be strong enough to push a door which can be difficult for somebody with arthritis or so many other conditions.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It's great that people were around to help the driver and a relief that the driver wasn't harmed. I get that the back doors on Tesla are hard to find and I won't pretend to know how easy or difficult they are, but regarding the onus of responsibility I do think car owners have some responsibility to know things about their own car.

As an example getting out of a room/building is not a hard thing, since well you go in and out of buildings usually and emergency exits are marked, yet they have emergency precedures and people trained in it present inside the building so that they can direct others in the case of an emergency no matter whether the number of visitors is 1 or 50. Why is it wrong to expect similar level of responsibility from the car owner? Especially when they are buying a car that so very clearly does not work like other cars in many many ways thereby requiring tutorial/learning anyhow.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
À lot of people are aged and like having the ability to open the door with the press of a button instead of having to use physical force.
This is absurd. The amount of force required to open a car door isn't much higher than the force required to turn the steering wheel. If you're really that infirm it's unlikely that you'd be able to physically drive in the first place.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
This is an absolute failure of user-centred design and it's sad that Don Norman is alive to see it.

As an example getting out of a room/building is not a hard thing, since we'll you go in and out of buildings usually, yet they have emergency precedures and people trained in it present inside the building so that they can direct others in the case of an emergency Why is it wrong to expect the same level of responsibility from the car owner?
Buildings are specifically designed so that you can escape them easily in a fire. Emergency exits are sign-posted, lit up and the doors have crash bars on them specifically so that panicking people can run into them and they'll open.

You do not want to use building regulation as an example here.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
It's great that people were around to help the driver and a relief that the driver wasn't harmed. I get that the back doors on Tesla are hard to find and I won't pretend to know how easy or difficult they are, but regarding the onus of responsibility I do think car owners have some responsibility to know things about their own car.

As an example getting out of a room/building is not a hard thing, since we'll you go in and out of buildings usually, yet they have emergency precedures and people trained in it present inside the building so that they can direct others in the case of an emergency Why is it wrong to expect the same level of responsibility from the car owner? If you consider the car owner to have the responsibility on what the car does outside the car then wouldn't you expect them to have some responsibility inside as well? Especially when they are buying a car that so very clearly does not work like other cars in many many ways thereby requiring tutorial/learning anyhow.

But there's clearly marked, universally known indicators and functions yeah? Fire extinguishers work a certain way. Buildings have Exit signs in standard locations and in standard fonts. Seat belt buckles work a certain way in all cars.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
How about when the car is on fire, which is the point of this thread?
Good thing there is a manual release handle?
Pretty sure anyone can just throw their body into the door and roll out if absolutely necessary except in certain cases which would warrant certain modifications be made to the vehicle to accommodate.

I was responding to the claim that accommodations like automatic opening doors had no reason to exist.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
musk Mico manages other car markers? Been in several non Tesla's that have the electric door release that powers the window upon opening.
There's a reason why Tesla's manual release is not marked (and why the back doors on some models can't even be manually opened) while every other manufacturer has them labeled on all doors of the vehicle. While the design problems with frameless doors are not unique to Tesla their particular implementation of them does less than other manufacturers to address them. It's all because of aesthetics which Musk has talked about specifically asking Tesla's engineers to focus on with the doors. Their retractable exterior handles are similarly a problematic, unreliable, and expensive component which exist purely because of aesthetics which never would have made it to production if anyone but Musk had the final say on the design.

7aged

Oct 28, 2017
As a city dweller I haven't had a car for at least a decade, so I'm a little out of the loop, but this is just insane.

We've had frameless car doors for decades, they were never this badly designed AFAIR. The door would still open if there was no power. The window would drop down when you pull the door lever, it just won't go back up when you close the door.

This is basic fail-safe design. It blows my mind that something so unsound is allowed on the streets

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Man and his dog died in a Corvette because he couldn't find the manual emergency door release.

if there's no manual release and they died then that's on Chevy. If there's a manual release that's on the owner. 🤷
There are manual releases on these doors. They're not hidden, or hard to find. They're are literally 4 inches from the E release.

If you get stuffed in a trunk and can't find the manual release that glows in the dark on literally every car for like the last 25+ years, is that the car manufacturers fault or your fault?

The someone else also does it excuse eh?

I'm more caught up however by some of these awful designs. My good friend is a mechanical engineer and we just laugh at the door release diagram. Then pivot to how poorly designed these features are. And unfortunately dangerous.
Multiple R&D departments for car manufacturers from Ford, to Mercedes are doing these frameless doors with electronic latches.
But yea your buddy is smarter than all those engineers for all these different car companies.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
This seems like something that should be explained when you buy it.

Maybe have a tag with instructions on the handle that the owner removes after purchase.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
The manual release was like one of 4 things they told us about when we picked up our car. It's in a very obvious spot and easy for non-owners to pull thinking that it was the normal door release. It is why we tell people how to open the car door with the button.

I think cars should have quick start guides. They are in lots of other things already.

Yup same here. They reviewed this with us at delivery.

The first thing I say to guests in my car is DO NOT PULL THAT RELEASE. My wife's friend pulled it twice (!) after being asked to push the button immediately before lol. Yes anecdotal and doesn't negate this situation, I know.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Yup same here. They reviewed this with us at delivery.

The first thing I say to guests in my car is DO NOT PULL THAT RELEASE. My wife's friend pulled it twice (!) after being asked to push the button immediately before lol. Yes anecdotal and doesn't negate this situation, I know.
The silly thing here is that manual releases dropping the window slightly without power is a solved problem. In no world should a car costing as much as a Tesla have this issue.

DarkLegion

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I have the problem of having people use the manual latch and not the button. In my experience it's the first thing people go for.

The button even has an icon showing its for opening the door

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the purpose of an electric door release. Electric components aren't inherently superior to a lever mechanism. Comes off as a marketing gimmick taken to the extreme.

Yeah, but like, "the future", ya know?

(Walks away from The Terminator like, yes, we should make killer cyborgs and AI supercomputers because it's cool and the future.)

I'm not sure that will help 2nd hand buyers.

Maybe they'll pull an Xbone and try to do away with sales of pre-owned cars. Also, no more loaning to friends. Friends should buy their own.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
There's a reason why Tesla's manual release is not marked (and why the back doors on some models can't even be manually opened) while every other manufacturer has them labeled on all doors of the vehicle. While the design problems with frameless doors are not unique to Tesla their particular implementation of them does less than other manufacturers to address them. It's all because of aesthetics which Musk has talked about specifically asking Tesla's engineers to focus on with the doors. Their retractable exterior handles are similarly a problematic, unreliable, and expensive component which exist purely because of aesthetics which never would have made it to production if anyone but Musk had the final say on the design.
Are aesthetics the reason people kept getting hit by robots on the Tesla assembly line? Elon didn't like the markings on the floor or something?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
This is an absolute failure of user-centred design and it's sad that Don Norman is alive to see it.

Buildings are specifically designed so that you can escape them easily in a fire. Emergency exits are sign-posted, lit up and the doors have crash bars on them specifically so that panicking people can run into them and they'll open.

You do not want to use building regulation as an example here.
My point being, despite being clearly marked and how simple it is, they have people trained in emergency procedures there.
So is it wrong to expect that owner of a car, that is known to work different from other cars in many ways train themselves in how it works? Especially since they have to learn about its various functions regardless, since it works so differently than a non electric car.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this twitter thread gave me a panic attack while i was looking at it the other day. i hate cars so much

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Do you prefer having the manual latch hidden away? What's your point?
Not at all, I'm pointing out that the design as it is creates a dynamic where users are actively cautioned to ignore it.

I would not be surprised if a driver was so accustomed to disregarding the feature that they wouldn't even think about it when it mattered.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
As a city dweller I haven't had a car for at least a decade, so I'm a little out of the loop, but this is just insane.

We've had frameless car doors for decades, they were never this badly designed AFAIR. The door would still open if there was no power. The window would drop down when you pull the door lever, it just won't go back up when you close the door.

This is basic fail-safe design. It blows my mind that something so unsound is allowed on the streets

exactly. Frameless windows have been around for a very long time. You don't need an electronic door latch to have them, that's just adding complexity where its not needed. What's wrong with just a mechanical door latch that always works whether the car has power or not.

gunbo13

Oct 26, 2017
Multiple R&D departments for car manufacturers from Ford, to Mercedes are doing these frameless doors with electronic latches.
But yea your buddy is smarter than all those engineers for all these different car companies.
He has a PHD and works on things like…rockets. He just might be based on how shit these designs are. And does Ford and Mercedes require you to go through speakers to open a door? Or the back seats are an oven in a fire?

It is possible to criticize a company and not drink all the cool aid you can. Tesla has some batshit crazy engineering designs that most engineers worth their salt have negative opinions on. I am super pro EV but Tesla should shape up.

EDIT: I'm starting to understand the Tesla cult a bit more…

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watching the way this forum's rhetoric around Tesla shifted is quite extraordinary. I remember a time being utterly piled on for saying that once traditional OEMs started seriously investing in EVs then Tesla would be redundant. Good times 🤣

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
He has a PHD and works on things like…rockets. He just might be based on how shit these designs are. And does Ford and Mercedes require you to go through speakers to open a door? Or the back seats are an oven in a fire?

It is possible to criticize a company and not drink all the cool aid you can. Tesla has some batshit crazy engineering designs that most engineers worth their salt have negative opinions on. I am super pro EV but Tesla should shape up.

EDIT: I'm starting to understand the Tesla cult a bit more…
another appeal to authority. Any other buddies you want to appeal to?

Also no where did I say Tesla was beyond criticism. I'm just pointing out that multiple car companies are doing this, not just Tesla. And have asked for hard facts on why this is bad and not received any feedback other than opinions. Of which your "buddy" also falls into.

Excuse me if I'm not gonna freak out because someone was unaware that there's manual latches on these doors.

gunbo13

Oct 26, 2017
Excuse me if I'm not gonna freak out because someone was unaware that there's manual latches on these doors.
Hard facts are what I posted above about the ridiculous design decisions. And just cause many companies are doing it, doesn't make it smart.

And your last point is "I'm not going to freak out?" Seems like you have a lot of words and not a lot to say. Tesla is getting wildly more dangerous all the time.
www.cnn.com

'Elon Musk's Crash Course' explores the limits of Tesla's 'self-driving' technology | CNN

As Elon Musk tweets his way through his pending Twitter acquisition, FX's "The New York Times Presents" documentary banner takes a hard look at his flagship business, Tesla, and its long-deferred promise to deliver self-driving car technology with "Elon Musk's Crash Course."

Be a fan if you want. Let the rest of us have our opinions based on real world circumstances. I have one fact in the OP that can easily be cited. Maybe he should have burned alive for his lack of study?

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure that will help 2nd hand buyers.

Astute observation, but it would help first hand buyers though. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good?

At least the person selling the car would know and be able to pass on the information.

I guess they could also just have it prompt you when you start the car. Little info page on the screen that you have to acknowledge, maybe not every time, but like every x startup/miles or what ever.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Hard facts are what I posted above about the ridiculous design decisions. And just cause many companies are doing it, doesn't make it smart.

And your last point is "I'm not going to freak out?" Seems like you have a lot of words and not a lot to say. Tesla is getting wildly more dangerous all the time.
www.cnn.com

'Elon Musk's Crash Course' explores the limits of Tesla's 'self-driving' technology | CNN

As Elon Musk tweets his way through his pending Twitter acquisition, FX's "The New York Times Presents" documentary banner takes a hard look at his flagship business, Tesla, and its long-deferred promise to deliver self-driving car technology with "Elon Musk's Crash Course."

Be a fan if you want. Let the rest of us have our opinions based on real world circumstances. I have one fact in the OP that can easily be cited. Maybe he should have burned alive for his lack of study?
You clearly know nothing about me. I'm not a fan. I just own a Tesla. Elon is an asshole and continues to prove more and more so.

But it says a lot about you haters that someone who isn't head over heels hater of all things Tesla is somehow a fanboy.

Jun 20, 2019
another appeal to authority. Any other buddies you want to appeal to?

Also no where did I say Tesla was beyond criticism. I'm just pointing out that multiple car companies are doing this, not just Tesla. And have asked for hard facts on why this is bad and not received any feedback other than opinions. Of which your "buddy" also falls into.

Which car companies? I don't know any. I looked at the Audi and the BMW mentioned earlier and both have physical linkages from the interior handles to the latching mechanism. Open-by-wire is a thing for fuel doors, it's a thing for some trunk/hatch latches, but other than Tesla and a few cars like 2011-2015 Corvettes, some Cadillacs, and some Mazdas (all redesigned for physical linkage) vehicles on the road are almost universally equipped with interior door handles directly linked by cable to the latch mechanism.

Jan 29, 2018
Am I understanding right that if you open the doors of a Tesla the intuitive way the windows don't seal correctly?

If they have to tell you at the dealership not to open a car door the way you've been doing for decades that might be a bad design decision.

gunbo13

Oct 26, 2017
You clearly know nothing about me. I'm not a fan. I just own a Tesla. Elon is an asshole and continues to prove more and more so.

But it says a lot about you haters that someone who isn't head over heels hater of all things Tesla is somehow a fanboy.
That's a juvenile take. Haters? I have no time for that. I also figured you were a fan of your own car brand? Guess not.

Agree to disagree. I think Tesla does crazy dangerous shit with people acting like R&D lab rats for tech that is not ready. And this "he almost burned to death due to the design" story is just another layer. They are frankly kind of an embarrassment in many ways even though their trail blazing with EV has been game changing. That's the scope of my investment.

Oct 26, 2017

tumblr_n90u98SqID1refhi9o6_250.gifv

Oct 25, 2017
And it's dumb in all of them.

If your windows are designed that opening the door damages them, you fucked up.
Have to agree with this 100%. If you're smart enough to engineer a car, you can come up with an emergency contingency design that isn't stupid enough to damage that car. Lots of emergency measures break things to ensure a human's safety, but this is a door handle. One of the most basic things in a car, a concept/mechanism that's older than everyone who drives cars! Seal that shit in a better way. You're already charging an arm and leg anyway, spare no expense.

That pic about the back 2 doors/cable-speaker grill thing is upsetting. Somebody with a concussion might not be able to solve that little puzzle they have going on. Fuck off Tesla. I feel like that should be grounds for automatic road ban or recall on the Model 3 and an investigation into the other models.