• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So this happened:

And within people saying it's fake because the user doesn't post much or that the fire looks unrealistic, there's this amazing series of tweets:

I mean...maybe if I'm panicking, I might forget about the manual door opening mechanism!

Full Video:

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Actually a lot of regular vehicles have this sort of mechanism with a mechanical backup. If I recall some old couple got stuck in their Corvette for a day because the battery died with them in it.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
How did it catch fire? feels like that is kinda buried

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
The Tesla/Musk defense force really is a cult. One of the replies was questioning why the owner didn't read the 150 page manual front to back.
While the car was on fire.

Honestly? I don't think I'd have known how to find it either unless I was explicitly told where it was.
It's easy to say when you're calm and analytic but when your car is ON FIRE would you find it?

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was pretty well known for Tesla's mostly because its an electric car and if power completely went out in an emergency, there needs to be a manual release unlike ICE cars.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
"Christy!!!"

Too soon for jokes girl, the man is still watching his expensive ass car burn with his expensive ass golf clubs in the back.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, Teslas hide the mechanism for opening the doors? Why would you obfuscate one of the most basic things you do in a car? Nobody buys a Tesla planning to never use that feature.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, Teslas hide the mechanism for opening the doors? Why would you obfuscate one of the most basic things you do in a car? Nobody buys a Tesla planning to never use that feature.

Most systems are going electronic in cars. Steering systems. Emergency Brakes. Gear Shifters. Trunk locks. Door handles.

Tesla did that with doors sooner than others, that's all.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
if im stuck in a burning vehicle im not gonna pull out my cars 200 page manual im gonna kick out the fucking window

OP
OP
MouldyK

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
if im stuck in a burning vehicle im not gonna pull out my cars 200 page manual im gonna kick out the fucking window

The Manual Release does look quite easy to find to be fair:

The Tesla/Musk defense force really is a cult. One of the replies was questioning why the owner didn't read the 150 page manual front to back.

Honestly? I don't think I'd have known how to find it either unless I was explicitly told where it was.
It's easy to say when you're calm and analytic but when your car is ON FIRE would you find it?

Still...maybe it's a sign not everything should be electronic in the car.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
Ah, that's fair then...

...but why is it kinda hidden?

It's not really hidden, people always accidentally use the manual release instead of the electric release when it's their first time riding in my Model 3. I even did it myself the first time I drove it. So I'm not sure what happened here, the driver should have known about it even without reading the manual.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was pretty well known for Tesla's mostly because its an electric car and if power completely went out in an emergency, there needs to be a manual release unlike ICE cars.

Sucks if you in the back seat of a model 3 it seems?

Ezb3Jp6XsA07-pJ

jackie daytona

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 15, 2022
The first handful of times my dad rode in my car he kept using the manual release.

Still, I think if I was trapped in a burning car, and the primary button didn't work, I might not even think about it.

Shit, I had forgotten the manual release is even there til this thread.

Ezb3Jp6XsA07-pJ

Fuck them kids

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Given all the crap going down with Tesla, I really question whether the "telemetry" Tesla gives to authorities like three NTSB is actually truthful or if it's doctored. I'm definitely not sure I'd trust Tesla in whether the data the correct and release on these accidents is untouched.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
as a tesla owner, tesla owners/fanboys are the fucking worst. cristism makes better (and safer) products you dumb fucks

also they should warn you about this lever when you pick up your car, but in my experiences tesla just wants to take ownership asap so its not their problem any more

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Take your headrest out from the seat, wedge one of the posts between the bottom of the window and the opening. Pull down so that the bottom of the post shatters the bottom of the window, shattering the whole thing.

Oct 29, 2017
as a tesla owner, tesla owners/fanboys are the fucking worst. cristism makes better (and safer) products you dumb fucks

also they should warn you about this lever when you pick up your car, but in my experiences tesla just wants to take ownership asap so its not their problem any more
This. I have a Tesla as well. This is one of numerous issues I have with the hands off experience. The day after I got my car, I spent an hour watching videos to properly operate the vehicle.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
My first question is why the fuck do you need electricity to open a damn door to begin with? Manual should be the default. Fucking solutions to questions that no one's asking.

construct

Jun 5, 2020
東京
This. I have a Tesla as well. This is one of numerous issues I have with the hands off experience. The day after I got my car, I spent an hour watching videos to properly operate the vehicle.
yeah and of course how they want you, the owner, to do their QC and take your car back to the service center to fix all the manufacturing fuck ups

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just like we have bright Exit signs for every escape door in every public building, it sounds like it's time to make clear Open Door labels mandatory for mechanical door opening mechanisms in cars. A speaker grill needing to be removed to get a door open in the case of a power failure is an unnecessary death waiting to happen.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Drivers should always know where the manual release is located for their car doors.

Figuring that out during a fire isn't possible. And yea, that release shouldn't be in some obscure location.

construct

Jun 5, 2020
東京
Drivers should always know where the manual release is located for their car doors.

Figuring that out during a fire isn't possible. And yea, that release shouldn't be in some obscure location.
people need to be educated. electric door release is a relatively new tech that the average person wouldnt even know they need to think about

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
So I get that there are a large number of people on these forums that hate Elon Musk and Tesla by association. I fucking hate that asshole too. But the manual release is super easy to find - I've even had some passengers use it by mistake instead of the normal door mechanism. Also, when you get the car, there is a person that shows you how all the stuff works and where the manual release is.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017

lol the warning when using the manual handle.

construct

Jun 5, 2020
東京
So I get that there are a large number of people on these forums that hate Elon Musk and Tesla by association. I fucking hate that asshole too. But the manual release is super easy to find - I've even had some passengers use it by mistake instead of the normal door mechanism. Also, when you get the car, there is a person that shows you how all the stuff works and where the manual release is.
they did not show me on either of mine. my last Y i picked up in a parking lot with no one around and i dont think its one of the tutorial videos. the only reason i know about it is from horror stories of people accidently finding it and damaging their window trim

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017

As a Tesla owner, its impossible you don't find it, because its literally where a normal door latch would be. In fact I had to be instructed not to use it because it can screw up the window seals (the windows don't come down to clear the seal with the manual latch).

Every time I bring someone new in my car, I have to tell them not to use the manual latch because that's the first thing they try to do to open the door.

So yeah, this person might have been in panic or something but I don't think there's a faulty design here.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
they did not show me on either of mine. my last Y i picked up in a parking lot with no one around and i dont think its one of the tutorial videos. the only reason i know about it is from horror stories of people accidently finding it and damaging their window trim

Weird, they showed both my wife and me at two separate pick up locations (Colorado) for my Model 3 and her Model Y.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
When it comes to critical safety features like this, simple is better. As such there should be one and only one way to open an exit door, and it should work in all reasonable circumstances. In an emergency/panic our brains don't always think straight, so I can imagine even someone who knows where the manual release is panicking due to using the electronic release 99% of the time, even though in this case the manual release isn't hard to find.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

How is it a cult to read your car manual? Do people seriously not read manuals for things that they buy that are in-depth enough to have decent chunky manuals. If you are buying a car and never reading the manual, WHICH THE MANUAL LITERALLY says you should do before operating the vehicle, then that's on you for not knowing how your car operates.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
people need to be educated. electric door release is a relatively new tech that the average person wouldnt even know they need to think about

Add an info card with the car that points it out. Something people have to see to remove so hopefully they're aware.

Or just put the latch where it's been on car doors for decades and folks will intuitively reach for it in an emergency.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

Ezb3Jp6XsA07-pJ
This is pretty much guaranteed death in the future, what the fuck am I looking at? Fold back the edge of the carpet? Remove the speaker grille?!

Have they not considered accidents and injury senarios, where pulling the damn door handle to escape is all the person can manage?

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
"Some folks accidentally use the manual release" is not the defense people seem to think it is.

Maybe it should be super duper clear how to open the door, and also how to get out of it in emergencies? People accidentally misusing the vehicles features still mean those things AREN'T CLEAR.

j_rocca42

Oct 25, 2017
PNW
I own one. People who don't ride in my car often or haven't been in teslas in general use the manual release when getting out of the car more often than not. It's kind of annoying. That being said, if the driver owned that car, they shouldn't get a pass here. Know your vehicle. I don't think it's too much to ask.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
If you are buying a car and never reading the manual, WHICH THE MANUAL LITERALLY says you should do before operating the vehicle, then that's on you for not knowing how your car operates.

lol ive only seen car manuals a handful of times in my life and used cars rarely come with them. your supposed to keep the manual in your car but most dont bother

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The doors on Teslas are such a perfect example of the worst aspects of Musk's micromanagement

construct

Jun 5, 2020
東京
not sure gating safety behind a user manual instead of an obvious and intuitive design is the defense i'd go for

gunbo13

Oct 26, 2017
The cognitive dissonance is pretty crazy from the defense. What if you borrow your friends Tesla to go pick up the birthday cake? Driving home from the dealership?

Schwarzbier

Nov 14, 2017
New Jersey
Take your headrest out from the seat, wedge one of the posts between the bottom of the window and the opening. Pull down so that the bottom of the post shatters the bottom of the window, shattering the whole thing.

This will save your life in water for sure, but it might be extreme measures in this situation. Everybody should know this trick though because if you ever end up submerged you're not getting out that door any other way.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
To be quite honest, I rented a Tesla for a week and the first thing I did was mess with the settings and all the buttons. Using that backup door opener actually triggers a warning on the display that says its a "backup" and using it multiple times damages the trim lol