• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Gvon

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't seem to be the default setting, seems you have turned it on somehow without realizing I guess.

It's not my video but one I found. I've tested it with Demon's Souls this morning and it did record my voice. No other games have this feature enables as far as I can tell.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
05-21Mattrick_Web.jpg

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
should be off by default, if they wanna push that (cool feature in a theoretical bubble), they could pop a prompt asking if you want to enable it on a per-game basis

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
I don't like the idea of having an open mic constantly. It is a system toggle, but regardless... the built-in controller mic has never sat well with me. People gave MS shit over Kinect, rightfully so.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Wondering about this too. What else do they actually record? Is it only stored locally?

The PS5, like the 4, is constantly recording a set length of your recent gameplay and dumping it second by second past that threshold. It's how the Share functionality works. On PS4 if you had a PS camera or a connected headset there was the option to record microphone audio in Share footage as well, it's just that now everyone has a microphone. But that footage is constantly being erased unless you choose to save it.

I'm 95% sure that the include mic audio setting was disabled in the start and I had to enable it (I like it), so I think this person must have enabled in the settings but not realized what it meant?

Also, you have the option to disable automatic trophy clips like this one. So for comfort you could have no trophy clips, mic audio capture disabled, and then mute the mic on the controller.

Lepi

Mar 24, 2020
I turned that off instantly. You can change it in settings so it mutes on sign in. The video is great though, funny!

Yeah, it's off by default.

It definitely wasn't unless it's been patched in since launch. I recorded a demons souls boss for my friend and you can hear me pushing the buttons and even the controller vibrating, it was annoying as hell and ruined the clip hence switching it off

OP
OP
Gvon

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
PSA: You can turn mic recording on/off in the share options in the settings menu. You can choose to or not to include your mic and or other people's mic's in your vids.

By default it should be off (it was for me). Or perhaps that is depending on the settings you choose when you initialised your console.

I actually can't remember the settings when I got my PS5 but I do remember messing with the broadcasting options and switching it on for streaming and recording videos.

Oct 25, 2017
Just to put this out there, mine was off by default, and they ask you a bunch of things about privacy at the beginning when you first turn on your console, this is a non issue.

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
Failing to understand how an optional setting to record your voice *locally* is 'creepy'. The PS5 isn't listening all the time, you can choose to have it record clips of your trophies and also choose for those clips to record your voice. These videos aren't uploaded to the cloud or shared to your friends list, they just sit on your console 🤷‍♂️

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
All of mine was turned on and I would never agree to it. Must have by accident.

I went into settings and it's all there in multiple spots

privacy settings collects voice

audio settings has voice chat settings

capture settings has options to record you while recording the systems gameplay. Including voice during trophies

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The PS5, like the 4, is constantly recording a set length of your recent gameplay and dumping it second by second past that threshold. It's how the Share functionality works. On PS4 if you had a PS camera or a connected headset there was the option to record microphone audio in Share footage as well, it's just that now everyone has a microphone. But that footage is constantly being erased unless you choose to save it.

I'm 95% sure that the include mic audio setting was disabled in the start and I had to enable it (I like it), so I think this person must have enabled in the settings but not realized what it meant?

Also, you have the option to disable automatic trophy clips like this one. So for comfort you could have no trophy clips, mic audio capture disabled, and then mute the mic on the controller.
Okay, that sounds fair to me. I honestly didn't know anything about it on PS4, and I never changed anything on the mic settings.

GronkyKong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad someone else already posted and it got thread marked that recording mic/party in videos is literally a system setting, not stopping folk on here having lots of concern(TM) though.

Seriously, if you don't like it just go check your settings. You can have the mic auto muted and for the system to NOT record mic & party in videos.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Good. If I have to listen to its annoying coil whine, it needs to listen to my post thanksgiving Turkey farts.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Just set your mic to auto-mute in the settings. That way it's always muted when you boot up the system and it doesn't record you even when you get a trophy.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Failing to understand how an optional setting to record your voice *locally* is 'creepy'. The PS5 isn't listening all the time, you can choose to have it record clips of your trophies and also choose for those clips to record your voice. These videos aren't uploaded to the cloud or shared to your friends list, they just sit on your console 🤷‍♂️
Because it's not just for that. If the PS5 is set to take audio input for anything, it will automatically do so without telling you. I was 5 matches into Cold War before I noticed that my voice was being broadcast the whole time, because I had completely forgotten there was a mic in the controller.
I'm glad someone else already posted and it got thread marked that recording mic/party in videos is literally a system setting, not stopping folk on here having lots of concern(TM) though.

Seriously, if you don't like it just go check your settings. You can have the mic auto muted and for the system to NOT record mic & party in videos.
So why doesn't Sony tell you about this feature, or tell you where you can go to disable it?

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, that sounds fair to me. I honestly didn't know anything about it on PS4, and I never changed anything on the mic settings.

I loved it for playing games with my roommates because sometimes the fun was in our riffing on the gameplay or our reaction to certain moments. Like, watching the clips with sound off wouldn't be so impressive, but hearing us do our worst Arthur Morgan impressions as we improvise funny dialogue in-character (for instance) makes saving the clip worth it. But this preference entirely depends on how you play games so it's good there's an option.

GronkyKong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why doesn't Sony tell you about this feature, or tell you where you can go to disable it?
They literally do, when you pick your privacy options when you're setting the system up.

Depending on what you pick (which you should have read to make your choice) recording is either on or off as default and the mic has a big orange light to make it clear you're muted. Then just a quick look in settings lets you change those options as well.

Not muting and broadcasting yourself on COD is all on you, missing the in game and controller level notifications is quite frankly hugely unobservant.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Because it's not just for that. If the PS5 is set to take audio input for anything, it will automatically do so without telling you. I was 5 matches into Cold War before I noticed that my voice was being broadcast the whole time, because I had completely forgotten there was a mic in the controller.

So why doesn't Sony tell you about this feature, or tell you where you can go to disable it?
Because it's disabled by default. And if it's not that's because of a preference the user chose in the first-boot setup.

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017

You forgot to mute your mic and that makes the entire optional feature creepy? They make an option to turn off this feature when recording video, and even include a toggle for people who want it muted by default all the time:

20201112143619.jpg

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
You forgot to mute your mic and that makes the entire optional feature creepy? They make an option to turn off this feature when recording video, and even include a toggle for people who want this muted by default:

20201112143619.jpg
Under privacy there is a setting to turn off also

it says it collects your voice

THAT is the creepy one

Optional opt in during console set-up

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
Under privacy there is a setting to turn off also

it says it collects your voice

THAT is the creepy one

Important to be clear that this is not some buried, hidden setting on by default. It is optional and they ask you to opt in or out right in the initial setup process:

playstation-5-voice-data-collection.jpg

Edit: Sorry, here is the screen for data collection that appears during setup. Choosing limited data turns off voice data collection. The one above is if you specifically go to settings after setup.

8oEHIoe_d.webp

Last edited:

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
It's like when Alexa records your sleeping noises and records snippets of conversations.

I don't think I make a sound during my game trophy moments though. They should record during my dying moments.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realize people left the trophy videos on anyway. Seems so dumb with how limited the storage space is.

Vic20

Nov 10, 2019
It definitely wasn't unless it's been patched in since launch. I recorded a demons souls boss for my friend and you can hear me pushing the buttons and even the controller vibrating, it was annoying as hell and ruined the clip hence switching it off
It's off in the trophy clips

Oct 25, 2017
It's obvious a lot of you just clicked through the initial set up without giving it any thought. They ask you all these questions to start.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, some of you are some paranoid fuckers huh? Lol

I understand not caring for it, but there is nothing creepy about it at all. It all ties into social interaction like streaming or making trophy guide vids.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Important to be clear that this is not some buried, hidden setting on by default. It is optional and they ask you to opt in or out right in the initial setup process:

playstation-5-voice-data-collection.jpg
I think it should be clear about what it is doing here, to me that looks like "when I choose to use the mic, it will use it to improve".

EDIT: ah, this is the system level prompt. That's fine then.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They literally do, when you pick your privacy options when you're setting the system up.

Depending on what you pick (which you should have read to make your choice) recording is either on or off as default and the mic has a big orange light to make it clear you're muted. Then just a quick look in settings lets you change those options as well.

Not muting and broadcasting yourself on COD is all on you, missing the in game and controller level notifications is quite frankly hugely unobservant.
So I didn't remember seeing any options pertaining to that when I first booted up my PS5 and went to check out a few other setup videos. At no point in any of the ones that I watched did I see anything specifically about voice data collection. There's a "control how much data you provide" screen, with options for full or limited, but no distinction on the screen that voice data is included.

But please, continue being an ass about this.
You forgot to mute your mic and that makes the entire optional feature creepy? They make an option to turn off this feature when recording video, and even include a toggle for people who want it muted by default all the time:

20201112143619.jpg
Cool, so why didn't they make this option known up front, instead of burying it in the settings menu and hoping you don't notice it?

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
User warned: Console warring, whataboutism
I would love all the proponents of this to share if they feigned outrage at the kinect recording them >_<

GronkyKong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would love all the proponents of this to share if they feigned outrage at the kinect recording them >_<
Never had one because of the extra price.

I'd have preferred Sony didn't put a mic in the controller but hey, it's there and disablable so here we are, no big problem.

That ship of stuff recording voice sailed a loooooong time ago for me though cause there's an Alexa and a Google Nest in the house. As well as smart TV/Sky controllers having mics in them now too.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I muted my mics permanently right when I booted the system for the first time.

I also turned off trophy videos for what it's worth, wasted space for me.