• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I need some thoughts for my below setup

EMY5sCa.jpg

So the size of these consoles is making me have to make some changes.

I'm going to drill a small 2" hole into the back of one or two of these crates so I can put consoles in them and feed cables out the back. The Switch will move into one crate, and the Series X will go where the Switch is, tucked slightly behind the TV.

My main question is with the PS5 and ventilation. I have two options, put it in one of the crates, or in one of the TV bench slots where the PS4 currently is. It will need to be horizontal either way.

The PS5 being 15.35" wide means it can fit in either one. The crate is 18" wide, and the TV slot is 19" wide once you get past the leg (you can see there's a bit of extra space behind the bench legs). So the TV bench gives it about an extra inch of horizontal space. However, I'm curious if it makes more sense to put in in the TV bench slot where there is more horizontal space, but perhaps less ventilation because of vertical space (the slot is about 6" tall), or in the crate where there is slightly less horizontal space but a lot more vertical. Placing the system vertically isn't an option either way, I don't really want to make any of the concessions I'd need to in order to do that.

Anyone have any thoughts on what might make more sense?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lowrys

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I was worried about that too but the width between the poles is 18.5" and the entire shelf width is 23.5". That should mean I have about an inch and a half on each side from each pole when centered. Cutting it close, but at least it won't have to go behind the poles at all.
The PS5 is actually shallower (less deep) than the PS4 Pro, so it'll probably fit, just might stick out both sides a bit.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
The PS5 is actually shallower (less deep) than the PS4 Pro, so it'll probably fit, just might stick out both sides a bit.

Oh I'm not worried about the depth. I was more worried about the width and how it would look. It definitely won't stick out on the sides at all since it's 23.5" wide and the PS5 is only 15.4" wide. I was really more worried if each end would be behind the poles when you look at it but it'll fit in between them just fine with some room to spare.

Vince-DiCola

Banned
May 22, 2019
Culloden
I'm just going to replace my PS4 Pro and Xbox One X with the PS5 and Series X on this:

Even though I have a TV stand, I need this rack since my receiver doesn't fit in the TV stand because it's much taller than a normal receiver. As a bonus, I like putting the newer consoles on there because it has much better air flow since it's open.

Come on man, take the damn sticker off your Xbox

thebigmanjosh

Nov 5, 2017
California
Here's a rough comparison from my setup (55" TV, cabinet width is 29" from center, shelf height ~6"):

3-EB3-A350-4-E11-449-C-B3-A1-148133-FFA43-F.jpg

I measured out the space last week since we're moving and would've bought a new stand had they not fit. I rarely watch the movies so I may set them up side to side if there's enough space for good airflow.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
I have an IKEA Hemnes stand so I'm going to mount my TV on the wall and place the new consoles on top of the stand

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Can the PS5 safely stand on its own without the stand? Is the stand already in the box? I don't think I've seen it for sale anywhere.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Honestly, I haven't measured yet, so it could be chaos. I've been wanting to upgrade my media console, but the one I want is too pricey to stomach.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
One of the shelves on my TV stand currently has my PS4, a Switch dock and a couple controllers and such, and I'm pretty much going to clear out that entire shelf for the PS5. Switch can fit in elsewhere, and I'm hoping there aren't many compelling reasons to keep the PS4 in rotation because it'd have to be relocated to the floor.

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
I have enough space next to my TV to put the PS5 vertically. I am concerned about how bad it'll look though. If it's really so we'll ventilated I might stick it under the TV. Couldn't do that with the Pro for obvious reasons.

Maple-Rebel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 15, 2018
I'll sit the PS5 beside and slightly behind my tv, which is in a corner above a defunct fireplace. Online downside is I will have to go wireless, but I have fast internet and hoping that wifi 6 will be solid enough.

Maple-Rebel

Banned
Oct 15, 2018
PS4 Pro comes out, shelf moves down 1 notch because that PS5 is a chunky boi and everything's set. I'll worry about the Series X at a later date since I haven't been able to get an order on one yet.

AHGG8Uh.jpg
What unit is this? Actually looks pretty good. I don't want my electronics exposed (dust, kids) but this looks like it has a good amount of space behind the doors.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Here's a rough comparison from my setup (55" TV, cabinet width is 29" from center, shelf height ~6"):

3-EB3-A350-4-E11-449-C-B3-A1-148133-FFA43-F.jpg

I measured out the space last week since we're moving and would've bought a new stand had they not fit. I rarely watch the movies so I may set them up side to side if there's enough space for good airflow.
The Xbox airflow is side-to-side so it needs some space, the PS5 can be flush.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
My TV sits on a stand with plenty of depth behind it. So my plan is to place the consoles vertically BEHIND the TV with the disc slots sticking out to the sides in case I need to insert a disc around the tV.

This way they are vertical, have plenty of room for ventilation, are mostly hidden, and the noise is directed away from me.

The problem with sticking consoles in traditional entertainment center component shelves that face outward is that they are far more likely to overheat there, and all the noise is directed straight out at the player. You can of course use backless shelving or cut out the backs, but this doesn't look as nice and you have to deal with a lot of cable management to keep it from looking like a mess.

If the new consoles are too loud even behind the TV, then I'll do what I did with the PS4 Pro and move it into the next room right on the opposite side of the wall from the TV and run the cables through a small conduit. That way it can be as loud as it wants to be and I'll never hear it.

Deleted member 13077

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS4 pro is coming out and going upstairs into the office room, being replaced by PS5.

XSS is going on the little entertainment shelf under my TV bed alongside the Sky Q box.

GrayDock

Oct 27, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
My rack have 50cm x 50cm x 19cm (19.7" x 19.7" x 7.5") in it's shelfs, so I'll be good with the PS5 horizontally, but the PSVR box, which I have in the same shelf with my PS4pro, will be a problem...

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
XSX airflow is in at the bottom and out at the top when it's vertical, right? What's the PS5 airflow? Honest question.
Waiting for teardown to be 100% sure. PS5 placed vertically, it would be from the entire rounded section of the front and top, and air out the entire back side. It's vented all around so it's pretty much impossible to block the airflow.

PS5-Box.jpg

TraderPoe

Oct 31, 2017
Pacific Northwest
I've tried to find a narrow vertical rack for the XSX and PS5. Anybody have anything like that? I've searched everywhere and its alll just horizontal entertainment centers

OP
OP
Lowrys

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I've tried to find a narrow vertical rack for the XSX and PS5. Anybody have anything like that? I've searched everywhere and its alll just horizontal entertainment centers
I've been searching Amazon for something like this and they don't seem to exist, at least under "entertainment centres". The nearest I can find is tall side or end tables.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 28, 2017
The center vertical shelf was almost built for a Series X. It has about 3 inches above the top of the console and about less than a inch on the sides. PS5 on the other hand may need to be laid flat on the top i guess.
DxuJpK4.jpg

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't be a problem, I'm moving my Pro to the bedroom or giving it away and the PS5, girthy though it may be, should fit in the spot. I may need to move the apple TV but that's nothing.

ZO8PibC.jpg

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018

Have certainly thought about it. Would probably make the TV too high in relation to the chair though. I still think it would be better to get rid of the unit under it and replace with something more suitable. Other option would be to gut the unit itself and put some shelves in, removing the drawers and doors.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
XSX will be fine for me horizontally or vertical in shelf.

PS5 would only work horizontally in shelf or on top of the shelf behind the TV.

PS5 is frankly too much of an eyesore in it's current state though so I'm just gonna wait for an all black version or a slim revision.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Width wise a ps5 is not going to fit in that spot. Like at all.

No? I hadn't really looked, but is there a comp photo for a 5 and a Pro around? I assumed that there is enough space between the center channel and the end of the shelf for it.
Also it's not shown in the photo but there is a couple of inches between the right side of the Pro and the edge of the cabinet. *Depth* wise the Pro is almost as far back as it can go without smushing the cable.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
i prefer an incredibly specific style of entertainment center.

446a0efa-447d-4d5e-bddc-da64f7c0a6ec_1.a2a06592845f5a1e828331c18ceaf192.jpeg

i've found the staggered shelves are something you cant go back from. they make accessing your things so easy. also, open and breezy is always my way. cant STAND any entertainment center that is large, bulky, or contains enclosures (drawers, cabinets etc) of any kind.

i guess i'll just lay it horizontal. it's not a big deal and there's way too much discussion about this stuff on era.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Code:
Large L shaped desk with a square extension, 
left  | right desk | square cabinet
stuff | underneath other stuff
-----------------------
 stuff under desk

PC    55in samsung TV | MONITOR    MONITOR      MONITOR          |   PC X1X PS4P
      Nintendo Switch |            MacBookPro   Focusrite18i20   |
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ring Fit Adventure   | UPS                                  UPS |   Networking Crap

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No? I hadn't really looked, but is there a comp photo for a 5 and a Pro around? I assumed that there is enough space between the center channel and the end of the shelf for it.
Also it's not shown in the photo but there is a couple of inches between the right side of the Pro and the edge of the cabinet. *Depth* wise the Pro is almost as far back as it can go without smushing the cable.

If you move that apple tv or whatever that is maybe?

m.youtube.com

PS5 Vs Xbox Series X Vs PS4 PRO Size Comparison in Augmented Reality

In this Video we are Show you the Playstation 5 Vs Xbox Series X Vs PS4 PRO Size Comparison in AR Called Augmented Reality. through this you will understand ...

Your best bet looks like it would be getting rid of one of those boxes on the bottom shelf and moving the reciever over. The ps5 is chonky.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I had to buy a new stand, set up yesterday. Will stick the PS5 on top next to telly and once I've bought the new amp it can go where the pro is, which will move down next to the one x.

ELYoaKe.jpg

OP
OP
Lowrys

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
i prefer an incredibly specific style of entertainment center.

446a0efa-447d-4d5e-bddc-da64f7c0a6ec_1.a2a06592845f5a1e828331c18ceaf192.jpeg

i've found the staggered shelves are something you cant go back from. they make accessing your things so easy. also, open and breezy is always my way. cant STAND any entertainment center that is large, bulky, or contains enclosures (drawers, cabinets etc) of any kind.
That's a really nice stand.
there's way too much discussion about this stuff on era.
:/

calder

Oct 25, 2017
If you move that apple tv or whatever that is maybe?

m.youtube.com

PS5 Vs Xbox Series X Vs PS4 PRO Size Comparison in Augmented Reality

In this Video we are Show you the Playstation 5 Vs Xbox Series X Vs PS4 PRO Size Comparison in AR Called Augmented Reality. through this you will understand ...

Thanks, that helped, shaky cam and all lol

Yeah I can move the Apple TV no problem, it can go anywhere. It will be a tighter fit width-wise than I thought though! The depth is about the same or less so that's good.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
yXfTZJh.jpg

I need to do some cable management behind my PC, but I'll most likely get a mini-table for the XSX to the left of the TV Stand between it and the computer and Ill just replace the PS4 with the PS5 whenever I get one. Worst Case Scenario, though, I can fit it behind my TV under the Mei poster.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
My new stand gets here on Wed. I'll let you know once I get it set up. The PSVR is giving me the biggest pause right now, but I think I have room for it.

The Dark Soul

Jan 2, 2020
México
I'm going to gift my PS4 to my sister and move the VR box under the monitor where my PS4 is right now together with all my controllers, and then place the PS5 between the VR headset and the speaker. (please don't look at my cables)
w8vVahO.jpg