• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
The Xbox Series X and PS5 have quite different form factors than the current gen; the XSX is a mini tower, and the PS5 is considerably taller (or wider, depending on orientation) than its predecessor. I am having a hell of a time working out where I'm going to put them, and how to orient them.

Right now I use a stacked hi-fi type stand for my consoles, which I use horizontally. No more space in my TV unit, which is filled by my centre speaker and receiver.

But I get the feeling that the XSX and PS5 are designed primarily to be upright for cooling (maybe I'm wrong on that?), and the spaces in my stand aren't tall enough to fit them that way. So I've been browsing for a new unit to house them vertically, but the best solution I can find is a small table where they can stand next to each other vertically. Not ideal but I don't want to put them on the floor where they'll suck up dust from the carpet.

Anyone else trying to work out where to put the new consoles? Pictures of good media units are welcomed! (Yes, I realise this is the dictionary definition of a first-world problem, so please indulge me.)

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
i have zero issue. the depth is the only thing i was woried about and the depth is smaller than the ps4 pro so i should be able to actually close my doors now

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I just measured the space between my TV unit and my TV, I've not got enough space to stand the Series X up vertically. Bit gutted about that!

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
fortunately I can just remove one shelf and should be able to put both consoles next to each other vertically in the space where my PS4 Pro and Xbox One X currently are horizontally

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just going to put one on each side behind my TV, so the disc slot is facing outwards.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
The wife has a Unit under the TV where she keeps a load of stuff and I have my PS4 Pro stood on top of it right now, the TV is wall mounted above the unit but I'm pretty co fide the there is a big enough gap for my PS5. I'll go measure.

Jun 22, 2018
I keep my consoles in child proofed and ventilated cabinets. The XSX will happily fit in there where my X1X is currently.

I have absolutely no idea about what to do with the PS5. It definitely won't fit in my cabinets and I can't just put it on the floor or on anything within reach of a child...

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've got the width of a 65" TV with no barriers inbetween, so it'll be reet.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to slide a few things around but I can fit the PS5 horizontally in my entertainment center thankfully. I'm going to have to put the Series X behind my TV though, because I hate how it looks horizontally so vertical is the only way to go and it won't fit vertically in my entertainment center.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I just have a small coffee table that sits behind the TV in my bedroom where my console goes. The PS5 will fit on that no problem. Should even be enough room when I get a XSX eventually too.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
holy shit the PS5 is tall
just finally measured and I am only going to have maybe one inch clearance above the vertical PS5
hopefully that is ok

Actually I can make a bunch of extra room if the 4k Blu-Ray player in one of these things is good enough
fingers crossed for Dolby Vision support for the blu-ray player (it is not very common)

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
The shelf where I put my consoles is open and to the side of my TV so I have no problems to put the series X standing there where my xbox one x used to be. Ps5 is another story... its really big and it may not fit properly, we'll see.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I have some pretty deep built ins that I'll just shove them into. Not worried.

Mavrick07

Oct 28, 2017
PS4 Pro comes out, shelf moves down 1 notch because that PS5 is a chunky boi and everything's set. I'll worry about the Series X at a later date since I haven't been able to get an order on one yet.

AHGG8Uh.jpg

Last edited:

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I will be rethinking my entire workspace come launch.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
All but 1 bay in my TV stand is big enough to fit the PS5, so I'm just disconnecting the PS4 and moving that upstairs to the bedroom when the PS5 hits and slotting it in

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
In reality I am going to have to stack them behind my TV. I have very limited space to work with.

One day I am going to buy or build a proper media unit under the TV to store everything in but neither console is going to fit under the TV like the PS4 does.

v2zLb2E_d.webp

Last edited:

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just going to replace my PS4 Pro and Xbox One X with the PS5 and Series X on this:

Even though I have a TV stand, I need this rack since my receiver doesn't fit in the TV stand because it's much taller than a normal receiver. As a bonus, I like putting the newer consoles on there because it has much better air flow since it's open.

OP
OP
Lowrys

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I just have a small coffee table that sits behind the TV in my bedroom where my console goes. The PS5 will fit on that no problem. Should even be enough room when I get a XSX eventually too.
This is where I'm at right now as a solution. A small, glass-top coffee table where I can put both consoles vertically. It'll look ugly AF but I live on my own so.

Mar 8, 2018
Going to put the XSX on a side shelf next to the TV stand. I'd put it horizontally where my One X is, but I'm worried about the airflow inside the tv stand. When the XSX is horizontal it would fill almost all of the vertical space in the cabinet slot. I'm concerned about hot air coming out of the exhaust, hitting the wall and then building up behind the XSX instead of escaping out the front.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I have my C9 on an entertainment stand, and the shape of its base makes it so there's a ton of space behind the TV. Gonna put my XSX behind the TV near the HDMI slots. Plenty of space on all sides for airflow too.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
I currently have this guy from IKEA. It'll technically fit my PS5 and Series X, but I want them to have more breathing room.
brusali-tv-unit-white__0834426_PE778310_S5.JPG

As soon as it's back in stock at the store closest to me, I'll be picking up this bad boy:

brimnes-tv-unit-gray__0818119_PE774305_S5.JPG

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just going to replace my PS4 Pro and Xbox One X with the PS5 and Series X on this:

Even though I have a TV stand, I need this rack since my receiver doesn't fit in the TV stand because it's much taller than a normal receiver. As a bonus, I like putting the newer consoles on there because it has much better air flow since it's open.
I really like the way this thing looks.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Man, isn't the PS5 going to be a tight fit horizontally in that rack?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I have a besta TV unit but I'm tempted to put doors on it - perhaps with a mesh inlay for those that have consoles in. Combined with exhaust fans that might work to hide these monstrosities. But I don't know if you can get doors the right size so in that case they may just have to go in random locations and I'll deal with the ventilation ad-hoc

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trading in my PS4 Pro and the Series X will fit perfectly (horizontal) in to the spot it was at with plenty of air flow.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
My living room TV is mounted and the PS5 standing vertical will fit under it while resting on my entertainment center. It's still hella tall though.

OP
OP
Lowrys

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London

This is what my hi-fi unit looks like except with glass shelves. The PS5 will fit horizontally in mine because the sides are open, but I want to put it vertically so the hot air comes out the top.

rajinus

Banned
Sep 2, 2020
I feel like we've had this exact same thread, with slightly different wording, 16 times in the past week.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
AV Rack standard 19"
AV Receiver 17"
Parametric EQs 17"
Sub amplifier 17"
PS4Pro and PS3 12"
HTPC on the floor, I need a 17" case.
Wii on the coffee table.

Step 1: Unbox PS5
Step 2: Complete teardown, high res macro shots of the things I want, rebuild
Step 3: Remove the PS4Pro from the rack
Step 4: Install PS5 in the freed space, hopefully I didn't break it

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

What stand is that?

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
My PS5 will fit next to the TV. No idea where I'm going to put the Xbox... I'll figure something out lol.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
I use a Kallax on its side as a TV standard. I think I can put the Series X in it, but there's not much space for air. PS5 doesn't fit. I'm afraid I'll have to put them on the floor...

Mavrick07

Oct 28, 2017
BESTA is I think 64cm wide for each unit, so horizontal if you give it a full shelf shoudl be fine. But the digital looks bad horizontally. Maybe I should buy a physical (which *only* looks good horizontally)

It fits fine horizontally in the besta. The shelf will have to be pretty low set though because the PS5 is over 10cm thick.

PS4 Pro comes out, shelf moves down 1 notch because that PS5 is a chunky boi and everything's set. I'll worry about the Series X at a later date since I haven't been able to get an order on one yet.

AHGG8Uh.jpg

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I have a One X, Wii U, and PS2 under my TV all in the vertical position. My Series X will just go where my One X is now.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I really like the way this thing looks.

Thanks! I've had it for awhile now. What probably helps sell it is you can't see any cables coming off the PS4 Pro which makes it look really clean.

Man, isn't the PS5 going to be a tight fit horizontally in that rack?

I was worried about that too but the width between the poles is 18.5" and the entire shelf width is 23.5". That should mean I have about an inch and a half on each side from each pole when centered. Cutting it close, but at least it won't have to go behind the poles at all.

It's a Target Hi-Fi CL430 rack. It's not related to Target stores at all though. I believe there's a brand called Target Audio which has no relation to them.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I have my C9 on an entertainment stand, and the shape of its base makes it so there's a ton of space behind the TV. Gonna put my XSX behind the TV near the HDMI slots. Plenty of space on all sides for airflow too.

and any noise may be partly masked by the TV. This might work for me but I also have some Bias lighting from Hue play lights and they might get in the way. Xbox can probably sit being all ugly on its side.. Its oddly difficult this gen.