• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You can tell who doesn't have a PC

You also can tell when people don't have a clue that there is more to graphics than just purely the technical side. There's also art and design, and its even more important. You can create a beautiful game with great art and bad tech, but you can't create a beautiful game with great tech but bad art.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care if it's been surpassed technically. The Witcher 3 was the first game this generation to really blow me away, and it still gives my PC a pretty good workout when I crank it up to 1440p/144hz.

Honorable mention to The Division, which has really ugly enemy design but has such gorgeous environments and weather effects that I just enjoy walking around New York.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Honorable mention to The Division, which has really ugly enemy design but has such gorgeous environments and weather effects that I just enjoy walking around New York.

i wasn't going to contribute because so many games this gen are milestones in their own ways, kinda pointless to even talk about. but then i remembered Division, playing that when i upgraded to a 980 ti was really something else. couldn't believe i was playing an open world online game

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Hunter - Call Of The Wild has some of the best outdoor environments I have ever seen in a videogame, honestly it's photorealistic at times, I spent the majority of it taking screenshots.

It gets rather boring however as it's a hunting game after all, I got it free so just thought I would check it out for the visuals.

In terms of overall graphics, I have to say that Kingdom Come Deliverance on PC looked incredible and RDR 2 on console is probably the best art direction I have ever seen.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Since I said DQ11 with no screenshots. Here are some I took myself *there are a lot*

YRc5dHu.jpg
WOvr78l.jpg
ux8rSOU.jpg
3E3oRjW.jpg
XN3NVvZ.jpg
SklQFYf.jpg
hNoOtah.jpg
SNxAAGV.jpg
2Yufnea.jpg
And while it looks pretty damn nice in pictures. Seeing just how much charm and energy is put into the animations of everything when you play on pc and see them at 60 fps just seals the deal.

Last edited:

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Purely technical wise, RDR2. But with artstyle, I have to go to Breath of the Wild. My favorite looking game in many years.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
DQ11 does indeed look gorgeous, especially with TAA and some reshade tweaking. I took quite a few shots while I was playing that game... to say the least. 120h later and I 100%'d it. And yea, the animations are so fluid and nicely done, they look amazing at 60fps.

43535234770_7d0156c806_o.png

44801449402_0f11d29aab_o.png

Metro Exodus
47118378081_a0f8cd59c0_o.png

Forza Horizon 4
47133912822_7550047419_o.png

Resident Evil 2 Remake
47014132861_e8acf65c49_o.jpg

Lone Echo 2 Experience demo VR
45835001671_5af52b14ec_o.png

Quantum Break
43535230540_ddb2518991_o.png

The Book of the Dead Environment test
42213885584_79e564fb22_o.jpg

Final Fantasy 15
26731822148_80915b737d_o.jpg

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
27897579128_618ca84b3c_o.jpg

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are people ignoring Final Fantasy XV? I know shitting on it is considered cool around here, but you can't deny that it's really pretty, especially on PC.

Agree with this. FFXV is up there with RDR2 in terms of visuals for an open World game when running on PC at max.

AC Origins / Odyssey and GR Wildlands are also phenomenal looking open World games from Ubisoft.

Breath of the Wild running on Cemu at 4k/60 is up there with anything imo. Such a beautiful game when not held back by low resolutions.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I hadn't really thought about it, but probably Ori and the Blind Forest. Technically impressive games like Uncharted, RDR2, Metro, etc look really nice, but they don't really stand out to me as much as a game with a unique art style/aesthetic. If I had to pick one from a technical standpoint... probably God of War.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
On a technical point of view, I'd say RDR2 on console and Metro Exodus with raytracing enabled on PC.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Despite .. or maybe because of it's smaller scope .. Detroit has had the most 'woah' graphical moments for me in the gen so far.

So that gets my vote.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DQ11 does indeed look gorgeous, especially with TAA and some reshade tweaking. I took quite a few shots while I was playing that game... to say the least. 120h later and I 100%'d it. And yea, the animations are so fluid and nicely done, they look amazing at 60fps.

43535234770_7d0156c806_o.png

44801449402_0f11d29aab_o.png

The Book of the Dead Environment test
42213885584_79e564fb22_o.jpg
DQ Looks way too saturated imo. Holy crap at that environment shot. Is that playable?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
where the fuck is Shadow of Lara in the OP? Game makes me go "oh, thats why people love these photo modes huh?".

also, games are pretty these days.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
DQ Looks way too saturated imo. Holy crap at that environment shot. Is that playable?
Yea I actually toned the saturation down a bit since those shots I remember :D Went a little to heavy on the reshade. Moderation is key with that program.

Yep, the environment is explorable... it's not a huge map.. but there's a decent little area to run around in. You can play with it.

https://unity3d.com/book-of-the-dead

Here's a few more pics I took at the time. I had a 1080ti back then and I remember it running at like 30-40fps at 5K.

42883249042_f14e93af6f_o.jpg

42213882974_fb93fec485_o.jpg

42030697835_8007386dce_o.jpg

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Cuphead easily, absolutely gorgeous game

glad i saw this. unfortunately, never played cuphead (do not have xbox) but watched streamers play and it looks incredible. i'm glad that game did well.

for me: God of War. still blown away it looked better on release than it did at E3 presentations.

also, i saw some people mention Detroit: Become Human....i mean, imo, i don't feel like that counts? it is a video game but the entire purpose of the title is presentation and story. i feel like without any dynamic interaction (having to worry about player input on complex animations/gameplay) it is easier to achieve such clarity. i mean, don't get me wrong, props to what they accomplished. just my opinion.

Technika

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2018
While there were some very nice parts in the Xenoblade Chronicles II /Torna games, the Switch hardware limited its appearance and would benefit from more GPU power. Zelda BotW also falls in this category, though performs admirably better.

So this leaves me to say God of War PS4 has the most impressive graphics of this generation. My backlog consists of Horizon, Bloodborne and Uncharted 4, so im sure they would make their case too.

God of War is technically excellent, performs smoothly and plays great. I did get tired of the art style and for some reason or another, failed to meet my expectations.

Nonetheless, here are a few of my screenshots of God of War for the PS4:

30884790498_3826ff3211_b.jpg

44706154902_980f3f6681_b.jpg

43846101235_96a9fe13b1_b.jpg

42945079220_122a8f5fe5_b.jpg

44036453214_3ebe32f956_b.jpg
42945114900_26a1b15b43_b.jpg

42945114270_57b471d6ea_b.jpg

44036398904_9e87e48369_b.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I would actually say, despite all the negative things about it, Anthem looks utterly and unbelievably gorgeous, it's unlike anything I have seen. So, purely from a graphical standpoint alone, it gets my vote.

Edit: Actually, Red Dead Redemption 2 is up there too, no doubt. But I literally said "WOW" at some of the vistas available in Anthem. Too bad the game that supported it isn't very good.

Last edited:

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
There are a lot of stunning looking games this generation so far, but I think the ones that impressed me most are Resident Evil 2 Remake and Doom 2016. The fact they run at 60fps and look that good is very impressive to me (talking primarily playing these on the PS4 Pro).

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I'm playing through The Shadow of the Colossus remake at the moment and it would have to be my pick for best graphics ever because the effect the game is having on me. The original is my #1 fave game and the remake has basically just refreshed this notion, wandering around the world is so awe inspiring, huge structures, clifftops, all of it....the scenery is just breaktaking 100% of the time. I've always loved scale and bosses in games and the game is based solely around that idea. You're tasked with exploring a huge atmospheric land looking for massive bosses, there is zero filler content and almost everything except the colossi is optional (yet there are so many hidden POI). I hadn't explored the game world as thoroughly in the Ps2 original but I am not leaving a single stone unturned in the remake which has made me realize the game world is so huge I'm amazed the thing even ran on the original Ps2 at all. The game is a masterpiece through and through and the remake has allowed me to almost relive the original which is a feat I was never expecting as I know this game will never receive a sequel so this is the next best thing.

A close second would be Resident Evil 2 Remake.

244xvh1.jpg

3rd choice would be Horizon Zero Dawn - Although I didn't like the actual game it was the first game I played on my new Oled TV and surround sound setup and the graphics and sound quite literally blew me away.

Last edited:

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Dragon Quest XI and BOTW in terms of artstyle and cartoon/anime visuals. (Seriously, DQ XI may very well be the best looking jRPG ever made).

From a technical standpoint, I'm still mesmerized by Horizon Zero Dawn.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I must be the only person who wasn't feeling DQ11 apart from the character and creature models which are the clear standout in the game.

The world felt very static with next to nothing dynamic about it.
The overworld sailing parts did not look good at all.
A few of the towns looked nice but again they felt largely static and lifeless, with a few npcs just kind of standing around with nothing much really happening at all and I think movement is a big part of what makes a game good looking. Most of the spells didn't look particularly good either, and are shared by enemies and main characters. (played on PC with 120hz, which im pretty sure is the best looking version)

CannedSoup

Oct 30, 2017
RDR2 for me. I've taken more screenshots in that game than any other and it's not even close.

Uncharted 4, Cuphead, Bloodborne,The Witcher 3, GoW, Battlefront all look great too. Haven't played Sea of Thieves but I love the art style.

Heartimecia

Oct 27, 2017
Horizon: Zero Dawn.

The Witcher 3 is the runner-up, and Gris is still one of the most beautiful things I will ever play. The art direction of that game is nothing short of phenomenal and that's just as important as seeing a character's pores in high definition or whatever.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Just started playing RE2, don't see what people are seeing to make that as one of the best looking this generation. It does look great overall, but it's nowhere near that tier.

For me, it's probably GOW since it has the graphics and the style to push it while games like BOTW/BB fall on style and games like RDR2 fall under graphics.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Red Dead Redemption 2 by far, but that's when looking at it from a complete experience standpoint and not so much a screenshot/technical analysis.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally I find Horizon: Zero Dawn and Zelda Breath of the Wild to be the most beautiful games I've experienced this generation.

We're reaching a point where all major games look great so it mostly comes down to art design/aesthetics now.

I was absolutely blown away by the look of horizon Zero Dawn when I played it at a friends house. The desert area at sunset was absolutely gorgeous then I was in a somewhat dense forest and it was EVEN MORE beautiful. I dont exactly have the words to explain why I find it better looking than other titles, even recently released ones like God of War and Red Dead 2. I think Horizon does something with color saturation as well as realism/detail that just hooked into my brain. Despite that I will admit I actually dont like a lot of the character design. Kinda tribal with mecha parts on people, it just kinda looks odd and lacks any real sort of artistic flair to me that other games capture. This has little bearing on me calling it one of the best looking games this generation. Also the facial animations werent that impressive either.

I was also similarly blown away by The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Personally this is probably my top pick for artstyle/aesthetics in a video game of the last few years. The artists clearly took inspiration from Ghibli movies and just the feeling of nature. Despite other titles taking place outdoors BotW captures it better to me than any other. The way the grass sways in the wind, puddles forming and evaporating in realistic locations, an excellent use of blur in certain situations. It's really hard for me to explain why I think BotW looks so amazing. I've seen it in a multitude of resolutions too. Handheld 720p, TV 900p, seen PC 1080p and PC 4K and it looks amazing in all of them.

Red Dead 2 would probably be my next pick after these but it just doesn't make me FEEL as much as these 2.

Final attempt to revive this thread...

(pics are from around the web)

58b976b9be96739a048b9bi1w.jpeg

the-legend-of-zelda-brseup.jpg

noix_pp17sfpg.jpg

legend-zelda-breath-wgfez9.jpg

C6RGF4mVMAALS6Q.jpg

c_zoy5mu0aapspi.jpg

c6wslhpvaaeibse.jpg

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
Personally I find Horizon: Zero Dawn and Zelda Breath of the Wild to be the most beautiful games I've experienced this generation.

We're reaching a point where all major games look great so it mostly comes down to art design/aesthetics now.

I was absolutely blown away by the look of horizon Zero Dawn when I played it at a friends house. The desert area at sunset was absolutely gorgeous then I was in a somewhat dense forest and it was EVEN MORE beautiful. I dont exactly have the words to explain why I find it better looking than other titles, even recently released ones like God of War and Red Dead 2. I think Horizon does something with color saturation as well as realism/detail that just hooked into my brain. Despite that I will admit I actually dont like a lot of the character design. Kinda tribal with mecha parts on people, it just kinda looks odd and lacks any real sort of artistic flair to me that other games capture. This has little bearing on me calling it one of the best looking games this generation. Also the facial animations werent that impressive either.

I was also similarly blown away by The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Personally this is probably my top pick for artstyle/aesthetics in a video game of the last few years. The artists clearly took inspiration from Ghibli movies and just the feeling of nature. Despite other titles taking place outdoors BotW captures it better to me than any other. The way the grass sways in the wind, puddles forming and evaporating in realistic locations, an excellent use of blur in certain situations. It's really hard for me to explain why I think BotW looks so amazing. I've seen it in a multitude of resolutions too. Handheld 720p, TV 900p, seen PC 1080p and PC 4K and it looks amazing in all of them.

Red Dead 2 would probably be my next pick after these but it just doesn't make me FEEL as much as these 2.

The facial animations got a BIG step up in The Frozen Wilds.

For me personally, it's up in the air between Horizon and God of War. GoW has better HDR and more impressive models, but Horizon's scenery especially with the dynamic time of day and weather is amazing. Metro Exodus with Ray Tracing on looks fucking phenomenal, and on a technical level that would win easily(seriously, 4A have been under appreciated for their prowess with that whole series. I remember Last Light looking bananas when it released.) but I prefer the art direction of the aforementioned titles better. Breath of the Wild has a gorgeous art style that comes close to Horizon's for me but too many absolutely awful textures and terrible pop inm/performance kinda ruin it.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The facial animations got a BIG step up in The Frozen Wilds.

For me personally, it's up in the air between Horizon and God of War. GoW has better HDR and more impressive models, but Horizon's scenery especially with the dynamic time of day and weather is amazing. Metro Exodus with Ray Tracing on looks fucking phenomenal, and on a technical level that would win easily(seriously, 4A have been under appreciated for their prowess with that whole series. I remember Last Light looking bananas when it released.) but I prefer the art direction of the aforementioned titles better. Breath of the Wild has a gorgeous art style that comes close to Horizon's for me but too many absolutely awful textures and terrible pop inm/performance kinda ruin it.

Oh yeah, I havent even experienced Horizon's HDR (or really any HDR for that matter). That might be a tipping point for me preferring it over Zelda. I know I'm kinda cheating a bit already since I find all of the design elements like sound and the chemistry system to be apart of the aesthetic which is why I'm so enamored with it, but the title of this thread is simply "best looking" so I may rethink my stance.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 on my X, followed very closely by Horizon Zero Dawn on my Pro. Both these games took my breath away on multiple occasions when they came out.

Honorable mention to BOTW on Switch. The art, ambience, everything melds together perfectly in that game.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
I should add honourable mentions for Division, SOTC, and Detroit, all of which have high points as high as my initial list.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
UC4 and RDR2 were the highpoints I guess, but I've been wowed plenty along the way (starting with Infamous, then stuff like Division, Battlefront 1 - that first solo mission :O, Battlefield 1 also... )

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
By all accounts Metro with RTX is a gamechanger. But I doubt the majority won't truly be able to see/experience till those prices come down a bit and raytracing becomes more of a thing.
Red Dead 2 on my X1Xis a technical marvel. Lots of small detail that only a team with the time/scope/budget of Rockstar could deliver.
Horizon ZD is a a fucking marvel and definitely does the most with the least. It's incredible
BOTW also deserves a lot of plaudits for what it manages to crank out of the Switch and its art/design is top-notch. Being able to play that uprezzed on PC must be a treat.